Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best electricity deal?

Options
  • 14-09-2018 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭

Undoubtedly covered before, but does anybody know the best deal for electricity at the moment? Have the night-rate meter and out-of-contract, so looking to switch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've had the Just Energy fixed price electricity deal in the past year (almost over)

€730 for all you can eat electricity :D:D:D

Try them, otherwise put your details in bonkers.ie. Tried mine a few days ago and of the regular suppliers, energia has the best rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Airtricity and Energia are much the same rates and are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

KCross wrote: »

They're pretty much the only two worth considering. Every year for the past maybe 7 or 8 years we just ping pong from one to the other.

Flogas cheapest for gas, but by themselves. Every year it's ask for the discount to continue or we'll go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Dont ignore the standing charge. These can vary by supplier by as much as ~€100

Stay Free

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Another Just Energy fixed price unlimited customer, no one else comes close

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »

14,000kWh for what Energia (cheapest per unit provider) would charge for 3,500kWh :D

slave1 wrote: »

Their unit prices aren’t good though unless you can use more than you normally do.
    i.e capitalise on the unlimited thing which isn’t easy to do.

So, as unkel did, switch to them when you buy an EV but on your second year you will be paying over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I was with Panda Power and when my year was up, I switched to Energised bit PP offered me the same rates as when I switched and €50 off my next bill, which made them a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

unkel wrote: »
    14,000kWh for what Energia (cheapest per unit provider) would charge for 3,500kWh :D

I just got a quote for €1200pa, my current spend is about €1500pa, so it would seem to be a no brainier to switch, any catches I'm missing?

Nope. They are entitled to switch you to unit pricing when you go over 10k kWh, but in my case, they didn't. I've completed the full year with them this week, so I will be switching myself.

• Advertisement

Nope. They are entitled to switch you to unit pricing when you go over 10k kWh, but in my case, they didn't. I've completed the full year with them this week, so I will be switching myself.

As a matter of interest unkel, did they ask you for proof of your existing usage when you signed up?

And presumably they didn't cause any waves when they realised you were far exceeding your previous years usage due to the EV?

And finally, did they quote you a much increased amount for the next 12 months now that they know you have higher usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I got caught by energia ,they have a limit on the low price night rate usage and i am a high night rate with milk cooling and water heater ,So if you have very heavy night rate usage check the small print!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

Don't forget to factor in any cash back incentives when using bonkers.ie and the likes for switching and give your current supplier a call to see if they can give any incentive to stay.

As a matter of interest unkel, did they ask you for proof of your existing usage when you signed up?

And presumably they didn't cause any waves when they realised you were far exceeding your previous years usage due to the EV?

And finally, did they quote you a much increased amount for the next 12 months now that they know you have higher usage?

Yes, they asked for proof and I supplied it. Based on my 3.5k kWh proven use the year before I got quoted EUR730 for the year. Which I have paid.

No, they didn't do anything about my current years usage

Didn't get that far. I usually switch at the end of contract without even contacting my current supplier.
    pawrick wrote: »
    Don't forget to factor in any cash back incentives when using bonkers.ie and the likes for switching and give your current supplier a call to see if they can give any incentive to stay.

Yes indeed. But be careful. Electric Ireland currently offer EUR150 cash back. But with my projected use for the years, they are EUR250 more expensive than the cheapest supplier. Cashback offers are only any good to you if you are a very light user

And to make matters even more interesting, Just Energy is offering a fixed price gas deal now too, 2 years fixed, but far cheaper than anyone else. And of course all the gas used above and beyond what you used last year is free. Guess who just signed up and who will have a very warm & cosy winter ahead? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

cute geoge wrote: »
    I got caught by energia ,they have a limit on the low price night rate usage and i am a high night rate with milk cooling and water heater ,So if you have very heavy night rate usage check the small print!!

Ditto on this - am a couple of months into Energia and have only realised in the last few days about their limit (my fault for not reading the small print dammit!). I'll be more careful next year for sure, sneaky bakstards!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I signed up with Just Energy unlimited electricity last month, they did not ask for any proof of existing usage, did it all online in about 5 minutes...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

cute geoge wrote: »

Indeed. They have a unit limit per two month period of 3000/2000 for day/night.

They have an increased rate for any units used beyond those limits but its not that bad unless you exceed them significantly.

So, their latest prices are 16.69/8.00 for day/night inc a 29% discount for new customers.
    When you exceed the limit any units beyond the limit will be charged at 18.50/9.00. 9c for night rate is still competitive. 18.50 for day rate not so much, but that has a 3000 unit limit so harder to hit.

I knew that when I signed up and I did occasionally(twice maybe) use a few hundred beyond the 2000 limit on night rate but it was small money so still better to switch to them.

A farmer like yourself with milk cooling and ice banks etc could get caught alright though.

That 2000 limit is in, literally, small print on their page.

You can use 3000 + 2000 units per two months before the higher rate kicks in? Thats 30MWh per year, almost 10 times as much as the average Irish consumption. Do you run a brothel with 12 electric Jacuzis or something? :pac:

You can use 3000 + 2000 units per two months before the higher rate kicks in? Thats 30MWh per year, almost 10 times as much as the average Irish consumption. Do you run a brothel with 12 electric Jacuzis or something? :pac:

I like to grow stuff! :p. Only joking before someone reports it!

The 3000/2000 limits are independent of each other. So I could use 1500 day and 2100 night and they would charge the higher rate of 9c for the extra 100 night units.... so a grand total of €1 extra for that 100 over the 2000 limit.

Bear in mind I have no gas/oil so everything is on electricity including my heating, hot water, electric car, robot lawnmower, cctv etc and I push all my appliances to night rate as well so my night rate is used more than day rate. The car alone is 800-1000 per 2 months.

Its why I'm finding it hard to justify Solar PV.

• Advertisement

Just had a look at the electricity prices for myself (urban, night meter and with 40% of units at the night rate) and Energia is the cheapest if you use more than 6MWh per year and if you use less, Electric Ireland is the cheapest (because of the EUR150 cash back)

I expect to be using less than 6MWh myself the coming year, so I think I'll be switching to Electric Ireland. For anyone looking to compare, the average Irish household uses just 3.5MWh per year.

Edit: obviously the above only holds if you can't get a lucrative fixed price deal with Just Energy...

Just had a look at the electricity prices for myself (urban, night meter and with 40% of units at the night rate) and Energia is the cheapest if you use more than 6MWh per year and if you use less, Electric Ireland is the cheapest (because of the EUR150 cash back)

I expect to be using less than 6MWh myself the coming year, so I think I'll be switching to Electric Ireland. For anyone looking to compare, the average Irish household uses just 3.5MWh per year.

What unit rates did you get for Energia and Electric Ireland?
    What about Airtricity? They had a better day rate than Energia for me but I'm a different category to you in that Im rural so it might be different.

Energia: 16.21 cent per kWh (day rate)
    7.76 cent per kWh (night rate)
    €214.62 standing charge

Electric Ireland: 19.14 cent per kWh (day rate)
    9.45 cent per kWh (night rate)
    €218.20 standing charge

All prices incl. VAT.

EI is clearly more expensive per unit, but the EUR150 cash back makes up for it up to 6MWh per year

How does that compare to your rural rates and standing charges?

€214.62 standing charge

€218.20 standing charge

All prices incl. VAT.

EI is clearly more expensive per unit, but the EUR150 cash back makes up for it up to 6MWh per year

Energia (inc 29% disc) on rural day/night meter....
    16.69/8.00
    €273 standing charge

Airtricity (inc 23% disc)
    16.41/8.12
    €266 standing charge

The above were with "new customer" discounts included and inc vat as well.

I had to switch to Airtricity from Energia because Energia wouldn't give me the 29% new customer discount. They would only give me 25% so Airtricity was cheaper then... but not a whole pile in it.

All the others were more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Are you considered a new customer again if you go back after a year away from them?

Orebro wrote: »
    Are you considered a new customer again if you go back after a year away from them?

Yup. Ridiculous crap tbh.

I told Energia up front I was out of contract and changing provider unless they gave me the 29% discount. 25% was as far as they would go and then their last ditch effort was to tell me “you don’t know what the other providers customer service is like, better stay with us”!!

Yeah something similar happened to me years ago and since then I just change online every year. Only way to get the best deal without hassle

€214.62 standing charge

€218.20 standing charge

All prices incl. VAT.

I see Airtricity do a similar rebate scheme to EI...
    "Upon sign up to SSE Airtricity, new Electricity Customers are eligible for €135 Welcome Credit and new Dual Fuel Customers are eligible for €200 Welcome Credit"

Your 10% discount unit rate is then...
    19.18/9.49.... ever so slightly more than EI. Hardly enough to even notice.
    €218 standing charge for urban night saver so the same as EI.

Are you a dual fuel customer or just electricity? Maybe the €200 offer might edge Airtricity ahead of EI in that case?
    EDIT: I see EI offer the €200 for dual fuel as well. Airtricity and EI are basically identical except for the €15 difference in the cash back offer.

Are you a dual fuel customer or just electricity?

From my above posts you could have figured out I'm not a dual fuel customer :p

I was one of the first with fixed price electricity from Just Energy this week last year. Today I'm one of the first with fixed price gas from Just Energy. And it looks like I will be going Electric Ireland for electricity for my renewal this week...

• Advertisement

Bah humbug!

Just energy won't take me on for an unlimited use fixed price gas deal. They do this deal, but only for dual fuel customers and based on my use of last year they are unable to renew my unlimited electricity contract. No sh1t, wasn't expecting that at all :p

Back to the drawing board so...

Advertisement