Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

• 13-04-2010 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Guys,
    I have been posting on the forum for a little while. Had a couple of arguments, a lot of interesting conversations. I am from France and a big Fan of the game. I played for many years, got regional young selections and then decided to call it a day. I would like to share with you all the news from the French rugby. This topic is made only for information purposes. If people are not interested, i clearly understand, some people might find some intersting info. Just think it will only improve the richness of this forum which is already animated by a lot of knowledgeable people and facilitate some people researches.
    i will post here all the update about the TOP 14, French teams/ Players news and the French National team. i will answer all your questions in relation to French rugby.

Once again this is not a provocation but a sharing of culture and info. I'll animate the Topic as complete as i can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Good site for T14 news :

http://frenchrugbyclub.com/

And for those who didn't spend 5 years of french classes chatting up "Easy Ursula" :

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Guys,
    I have been posting on the forum for a little while. Had a couple of arguments, a lot of interesting conversations. I am from France and a big Fan of the game. I played for many years, got regional young selections and then decided to call it a day. I would like to share with you all the news from the French rugby. This topic is made only for information purposes. If people are not interested, i clearly understand, some people might find some intersting info. Just think it will only improve the richness of this forum which is already animated by a lot of knowledgeable people and facilitate some people researches.
    i will post here all the update about the TOP 14, French teams/ Players news and the French National team. i will answer all your questions in relation to French rugby.

Once again this is not a provocation but a sharing of culture and info. I'll animate the Topic as complete as i can.

BoarHunter,

I've been wondering what province/city you're from and whom you support in the Top14? Also, as a Frenchman, whats your opinion of the Heineken cup? Would you rate it below the French domestic league?

Good thread, makes a nice change from the usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Boarhunter (lol this is like a Q&A thread :p):

I am going to be in Aix-en Provence next year for ERASMUS, do you know the prices of tickets for Toulon Top14 games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

BoarHunter,

I've been wondering what province/city you're from and whom you support in the Top14? Also, as a Frenchman, whats your opinion of the Heineken cup? Would you rate it below the French domestic league?

Good thread, makes a nice change from the usual.

I grew up in nigeria as my parents were expatriate so i don't have a favourite team. I just love the game, the ambiance in the stadium ( music, chants ) and the whole mentality around it ( food, drinks :D ).

If i had to chose one team, that would be hard ;)

I would prefer TOP14 but i admit that HCup rugby is one step higher.

Bear in mind that TOP14 clubs have to be the sharpest at the very end of the season for the play off. Hence they have a very tough and physical training at the beginning and through the middle of the season. this means they might struggle physically right during the group stage of the Hcup - right when the celtic teams are prepared to be the fittest.

In France only Toulouse will set the Hcup as goal for the season. ( they have so many french titles ...)

TOP14 is over 100 years old trophy and will remain the priority for all the clubs. The HCup is gaining in popularity though ;)

I am going to be in Aix-en Provence next year for ERASMUS, do you know the prices of tickets for Toulon Top14 games?

I'll check that tomorrow for you. They are playing a massive game against Perpignan in Stade velodrome in Marseille this WE in front of 60000 people ! you will have fun next year.

Marseille usually hosts one international a year so you might have good France australia to watch next autumn.

I will put the tables and fixtures very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

This could be a great thread. As you brought it up Thomond I actually spent a year studying in France too in the south a few moons ago. you'll have a cracking time, following the Top14 on a weekly basis is fantastic!

top14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Hmmm... Albi's defence seems just a little, shall we say 'porous' this season....

Stade francais are pathetic. They wont be near the HC next year much Cheikas annoyance

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

Boarhunter - great thread! I try to follow the Top 14 and I have a few questions based on what is going on at the moment (and my overall rugby knowledge isn't the best so apols if these sounds like stupid questions!)....

I have read that Montauban are going to be automatically relegated for administrative reasons. What I haven't heard is whether, based on the current table, it will just be Albi and Montauban will go down or would it be the three of Albi, Bayonne & Montauban? Montauban are appealing the decision - do you think (or have you read) that it is likely that they will avoid relegation?

Also, a lot of the commentary seems to be focused now on who will make the top 6. However, since Montpellier is the team I have most interest in, I would be more focused on the bottom 6! Do you think that based on where they are in the table they can avoid relegation now, or are they still at risk? *crosses fingers they beat Montauban away on Sat, but doesn't think they'll do it cause they don't seem to travel well...*

• Advertisement

Yes ! they were clearly not ready for the TOP14. They were promoted surprisingly after having a little miracle in the play off last season. They beat Agen in the finale and were promoted.

Agen will get back in TOP14 next year, Albi will be back in Pro D2.

The big question mark is who will get promoted second. for second place the teams from 2 to 5 play semi finals and final of a play off. the winner of the final is promoted.

I am am waiting for the promotion of a Giant "to be" the LOU ( Lyon ). This region is ATM only represented through Bourgoin in the Elite group. Bourgoin is the best reservoire of international players by far. Chabal, nallet, Pape, fritz, david, Parra, and so many.

snowfinch wrote: »
    Boarhunter - great thread! I try to follow the Top 14 and I have a few questions based on what is going on at the moment (and my overall rugby knowledge isn't the best so apols if these sounds like stupid questions!)....

I have read that Montauban are going to be automatically relegated for administrative reasons. What I haven't heard is whether, based on the current table, it will just be Albi and Montauban will go down or would it be the three of Albi, Bayonne & Montauban? Montauban are appealing the decision - do you think (or have you read) that it is likely that they will avoid relegation?

Also, a lot of the commentary seems to be focused now on who will make the top 6. However, since Montpellier is the team I have most interest in, I would be more focused on the bottom 6! Do you think that based on where they are in the table they can avoid relegation now, or are they still at risk? *crosses fingers they beat Montauban away on Sat, but doesn't think they'll do it cause they don't seem to travel well...*

There is still a very slim chance that Montauban could be saved. for that they need a sponsor to clear 3 millions. One came and offered the sum but then withdrew ... so it all looks gloom for the Montauban players ATM and demotion looks closer everyday.

Montpellier did the hardest by scoring this bonus point against Albi the other day. It is a matter of national interest that the MRHC stays in TOP14 because Trinh duc needs to play in the elite if he wants to keep his International jersey. ( we don't have many world class fly halves :rolleyes: ).
    If the beat montauban this WE they should out of the nettles, i am rather confident even though never underestimate a wounded animal ...

You should also have a look at the match between Bayonne and Brive. If Brive wins Montpellier could be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Boarhunter, does the league title go to a playoff ?

and seeing as toulon are in the title chase , what effect will this have on what team they play against connacht in the semi final of the amlin cup?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

Cool - will keep an eye on that result. See that Clermont Auvergne v Castres is the only Top 14 game being televised here this weekend - on Setanta 1. Should be a good game!

Shelflife wrote: »
    Boarhunter, does the league title go to a playoff ?

and seeing as toulon are in the title chase , what effect will this have on what team they play against connacht in the semi final of the amlin cup?

cheers

As is said they will certainly rest their key players against Connacht. Wouldn't be surprised to see Contepomi instead of Wilko.

Having said that they hammered the Scarlets with a mixed team 38-12 ( 5 tries ) so you can certainly count on them to be a solid side whoever is on the pitch.

To answer fully your question they will certainly favour the TOP14 playoff 100 times more than the european cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

BoarHunter wrote: »
    ( we don't have many world class fly halves :rolleyes: ).

Of course you do, they just always play at scrum-half...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I think Toulon are pretty much guaranteed a Top 6 place and thus a HCup entry next year (?) Winning the Amlin and would give them a big boost especially with the millions they have spent and they would be foolish to take Connacht lightly.

I'm interested in the race for 6th between Racing and Biarritz, I believe they are playing this weekend. As a Munster supporter would like to see Biarritz keep an interest in the Top 14 playoffs. They are a bit like us in that respect.

Been an interesting season, not vintage by any means though, my team of the season is Castres who really have punched above their weight. Hard to look past the usual suspects though for the winner.

buck65 wrote: »
    I think Toulon are pretty much guaranteed a Top 6 place and thus a HCup entry next year (?) Winning the Amlin and would give them a big boost especially with the millions they have spent and they would be foolish to take Connacht lightly.

I think at this stage they pretty much target one of the 2 direct tickets for a home semi finale. They want to avoid this 3rd play off match that is for 3rd to 6th place. That will make a big difference to have one less game to play and the home advantage in semi finale. Especially in Toulon with its cauldron reputation ;)

this means they will push to finish in the 2 first spots.

Stade francais are pathetic. They wont be near the HC next year much Cheikas annoyance

Witht he amount of rebuilding he's going to have to do they're probably better off without the distraction and it s been a while since they've won the Bouclier.

Though there is a real possibility that they wont be allowed to sign players next season so Cheika will have to make do with the existing 45 man squad! ( http://frenchrugbyclub.com/Players/Stade-Francais-Players.html)

fixture25.gif

• Advertisement

Clermont- Castres
    Big clash on Friday night. Clermont, unlucky losers in their HCup QF against Leinster will need to keep the focus aginst a very sharp Castres Olympique XV. Castres lost with a small margin against Perpignan not long ago making them want to do better in the perspective of their future play off matchs. I would say a close match but Clermont at home is my odd.

Bourgoin - Stade Toulousain
    Toulouse still have a slight chance to finish in the top 2 spots and that shouldn't give Bourgoin much chance... In addition Guy Noves will make some turnover and players will try to gain their starting Jersey for the semi finale against leinster. I would definitly go for Toulouse.

Montauban- Montpellier
    MHRC away form have been awful all season but the perpective of the red zone being very close might give them the extra strenght against a side that is starting to lose hope and will be very soon in administration. I would back Montpellier

Bayonne - Brive
    Bayonne must win if they want to avoid finishing in the red zone. despite Montauban almost sure to be demoted, Bayonne want to keep their place in TOP14 on the pitch. Brive still have a chance to catch a play off ticket. However i would bet for Bayonne with Defensive BP for Brive.

Albi - Stade Francais
    Albi are already relegated so there isn't much suspense for this match. Stade Francais with offensive bonus

RC Toulon - Perpignan
    The BIG match of the WE. It is not in Mayol but in Stade Velodrome in Marseilles ( cap 60000 ). Last year Toulon managed to beat Toulouse there. Will be very close but i would say toulon might create the surprise thanks to their clever coach : philippe St Andre.

Racing Metro 92 - Biarritz
    Vae victis for this match. the winner takes it all ! This will decide the last ticket for the play off. Biarritz played last WE but are in increasing form. They got their best players ( Barcella, Traille, Tachvili, Harinordoquy ) back in the squad just on time for the last rush. Racing are well rested but might lack game time. i will use my Joker for this match ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Just want to say thanks for starting up this thread - I am a Leinster supporter, but am interested in the Top 14 just because I visit France a lot - I have been trying to figure out next weekends matches - your summary is just great! Thanks a million.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

PM me for a pint when you get here ;)

BoarHunter: Do you know why almost all the rugby playing teams in France are from the South West?

PM me for a pint when you get here ;)

BoarHunter: Do you know why almost all the rugby playing teams in France are from the South West?

More rain, no east coast mediterranean soft arses and more of a British influence but dont say the last bit too loudly though.

More rain, no east coast mediterranean soft arses and more of a British influence but dont say the last bit too loudly though.

This is a good resume. The game started in Paris but the popularity embrased very quickly in the south west due to british presence near biarritz ( that's why you will find some of the oldest french golf course in that area too ).

The Basque people are really found of ball games and especially handling the ball. ( some moves bear Basque names such as Chistera pass ;) ) and that became very quickly the perfect way to settle the pride of the village. the parrish atmosphere is still very strong and all of them had its rugby team. The boys are starting the game very early for a matter of pride.

There is historicaly a few things you are not supposed to be late in the south west : church, rugby, chistera and Corrida.

Now the modern world has diluted this a bit.

The North is more a football region

In between 20 - 50 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

They've really left some of the best matchups for last. Castres in particular had a really tough run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Where has Castres' renaissance come from? They were 7 points away from relegation (and disaster) last season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Top_14_season

they bought cleverly. The best buy is definitly Marc Andreu from Toulon. They had a good team last year but it just didn't kick in. they had a disaster of a season.

This year the biggest change is the arrival of the new coaching team : Travers - Labit. They did a fantastic job at Montauban the last few years, bringing them to the HCup. They even almost created the biggest shoker of the history of the competition when they threatened seriously Munster in Thomond Park with their B team ! you need to have a serious organization for that.

Labit & Travers have brought to Castres very good tactical organization, clever recruitement of talented frustrated players from big clubs. It pays this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Where has Castres' renaissance come from? They were 7 points away from relegation (and disaster) last season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Top_14_season

Winning against Leinster is the making of any team really.

Advertisement