Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges / Tax / Demonstrations / Irish Water / Meter Installations etc etc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Surely it's the same way as the tenant is liable for the electricity bill as opposed to the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tenants pay, just like any other utility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

As above does your landlord pay your gas, electricity or bins if not they won't be paying the water charges.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I'd agree with the poster above. I can't fathom how anyone would expect the Landlord to pay. In normal circumstances electricity, bins, telephone, internet etc. are paid by the tenant. Water charges will be the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cannot see how a landlord could be considered liable for something where usage depends entirely on the tenant, unless they're already providing unmetered heat/power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ok, so on move-in day, I take a reading from my water meter (which is where exactly? it sure ain't installed yet) and I get billed for the amount I use from that day. I'm fine with that, for a new tenancy.

But over in W&J, someone (who I think does know) is posting that charges apply from October, but the first bill won't arrive until Jan 2015. Mmm, what happens if I move house i that time? What if I haven't signed up with Irish Water - are they really going to sign up the whole country in 10 months????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi Mrs O'Bumble-

Your water meter will be outside your property, probably under a new manhole/cover like this:

0005cb36-314.jpg

In some cases, there may be an inline meter installed internally (its suggested that in some properties this would be in the kitchen- no idea where thats coming from though).

The proposals (and they are proposals)- are that billing would commence by the 1st of October 2014. First bills would issue in Q1 2015.

At the outset there would be metered and unmetered properties. Metered properties get an allowance of free water (yet to be decided how much) before being charged for the amount they consume (and a standing charge to cover connection and the price of the meter would apply on top of all of this)).

At the very beginning as few as 1 in 5 properties may have their meters installed- IWB think it could take up to 3 years to get meters installed in all applicable properties.

There are some property types (apartments etc) where meters may never be installed- and instead either a central meter would apply- charged to the management company- or the unmetered rate would apply to the residents of the units.

What the unmetered rate is- has yet to be determined. What the metered rate is- has yet to be determined. What the free allowance is- has yet to be determined.

The bill that went through the Oireachtas three weeks ago- allows for Irish Water to disconnect business customers who fail to pay their water bills- but crucially, it does not give them the power to disconnect domestic users.

Soooo- commencement date is planned for the 1st of October 2014 (subject to approval). The first bill is planned to be a quarterly bill for Q4 2013, paid in arrears, in Q1 2015.

How much you will pay- and whether you'll even have a meter at this stage- is up in the air. It would appear the vast bulk of customers will be on flatrate unmetered billing (presumably based on the number of bedrooms in the property- or some such mechanism) rather than metered, when the billing commences.

IWB- need to speed up the installation- but have admitted it may be fully three years from commencement date, before all applicable homes have their meters- not an ideal situation.

On top of this- Bord Gais- who are running IWB- were sold last week- so thats an added uncertainty into the equation.

For consumers of water (all of us) there should be no change in service/supply- as IWB have already signed 20 year maintenance contracts with the local authorities who are currently supplying water to us end users.

Of immediate issue- is the unacceptable number of supplies of unsafe drinking water (as of today there are 4 separate boil notices in effect in 2 counties).

Anyhow- hope this helps.

The_Conductor

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine if there is a meter, the meter user will have to pay. Otherwise it is a matter of a somewhat fixed charge or apportionment of a shared meter.
    How current is that article? Today's date is at the top of the page, but there appears to be no date on the article.
    On top of this- Bord Gais- who are running IWB- were sold last week-
    Only Bord Gáis Energy was sold, not Bord Gáis Networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Hi Mrs O'Bumble-

Your water meter will be outside your property, probably under a new manhole/cover like this:

0005cb36-314.jpg

In some cases, there may be an inline meter installed internally (its suggested that in some properties this would be in the kitchen- no idea where thats coming from though).

The proposals (and they are proposals)- are that billing would commence by the 1st of October 2014. First bills would issue in Q1 2015.

At the outset there would be metered and unmetered properties. Metered properties get an allowance of free water (yet to be decided how much) before being charged for the amount they consume (and a standing charge to cover connection and the price of the meter would apply on top of all of this)).

At the very beginning as few as 1 in 5 properties may have their meters installed- IWB think it could take up to 3 years to get meters installed in all applicable properties.

There are some property types (apartments etc) where meters may never be installed- and instead either a central meter would apply- charged to the management company- or the unmetered rate would apply to the residents of the units.

What the unmetered rate is- has yet to be determined. What the metered rate is- has yet to be determined. What the free allowance is- has yet to be determined.

The bill that went through the Oireachtas three weeks ago- allows for Irish Water to disconnect business customers who fail to pay their water bills- but crucially, it does not give them the power to disconnect domestic users.

Soooo- commencement date is planned for the 1st of October 2014 (subject to approval). The first bill is planned to be a quarterly bill for Q4 2013, paid in arrears, in Q1 2015.

How much you will pay- and whether you'll even have a meter at this stage- is up in the air. It would appear the vast bulk of customers will be on flatrate unmetered billing (presumably based on the number of bedrooms in the property- or some such mechanism) rather than metered, when the billing commences.

IWB- need to speed up the installation- but have admitted it may be fully three years from commencement date, before all applicable homes have their meters- not an ideal situation.

On top of this- Bord Gais- who are running IWB- were sold last week- so thats an added uncertainty into the equation.

For consumers of water (all of us) there should be no change in service/supply- as IWB have already signed 20 year maintenance contracts with the local authorities who are currently supplying water to us end users.

Of immediate issue- is the unacceptable number of supplies of unsafe drinking water (as of today there are 4 separate boil notices in effect in 2 counties).

Anyhow- hope this helps.

The_Conductor

As your a mod you should use your powers and make it as a sticky as I can see it getting asked a good bit in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

I know a guy who lives in a 6bed house all on his own. He'll shi1te a brick when he hears this lol

• Advertisement

newbie2013 wrote: »
    I know a guy who lives in a 6bed house all on his own. He'll shi1te a brick when he hears this lol

Hes made a lifestyle choice. His choice is already being taxed via the property tax- until such time as verifiable metering is on his property- he'll just have another tax associated with his lifestyle choice.

Ps- in my opinion- anyone living in a 6 bed house on their own, is nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I thought the water charge is fixed rate for next year, as the meters haven't been installed yet? Or am I missing something?? :confused:

In any case - I would assume the tenant pays as they will for the other utilities...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeadlyH83

What happens to the local council workers who work in waterworks when Irish water take over?

DeadlyH83 wrote: »
    What happens to the local council workers who work in waterworks when Irish water take over?
    They will continue to work for the council for the moment. In the case of Dublin City Council (who supply several of the adjacent councils), it will be 12 years - it may vary with other councils. Irish Water will pay the council for (most of) its costs. After the 12 years, they will transfer to Irish Water.

Some individual staff may staff with the council by transferring to other departments, depending on what happens in the normal course of events over the next 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Hes made a lifestyle choice. His choice is already being taxed via the property tax- until such time as verifiable metering is on his property- he'll just have another tax associated with his lifestyle choice.

Ps- in my opinion- anyone living in a 6 bed house on their own, is nuts.

Built during the boom, missed out on a sale right before it busted but the one good thing he has, he's mortgage free. He was selling it and had plans to build another more eco efficient house. With the new legislation coming into force next year, he is now in 2 minds on what to do because he wont be able to build it self build like he done with this one. He will get hard now with taxes and water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeadlyH83

A good source tells me water charges are going to be somewhere between 300 - 350 euros per average household.

A good source tells me water charges are going to be somewhere between 300 - 350 euros per average household.
    What is that source? The man down the pub?

For all councils, in 2013, water services cost €711m, while income was €248m (predominantly from commercial users), leaving a €463 million deficit.

There were 1,654,208 households in 2011. If those households picked up the entire tab for the balance, it would work out at €279 per household. However (a) the government has said it will continue to subsidise water services (b) there is the suggestion that commercial users will have to pay more and (c) second properties are likely to have to pay a sanding charge, so the figure is likely to be lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

per year? or bi monthly?

mcgragger wrote: »
    per year? or bi monthly?

I would imagine it would be a yearly charge. With the option to pay monthly or quarterly.

I wonder if you get discount for paying yearly or D/D?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

I would imagine it would be a yearly charge. With the option to pay monthly or quarterly.

I wonder if you get discount for paying yearly or D/D?

Probably not. In the end we will all be paying a lot more than 350 a year. Ive no doubt about that

• Advertisement

I'd consider the quoted figures as seriously circumspect- especially given the stated aim of replacing and upgrading the network to the tune of 18 billion over the next 15 years. The reason water is being offloaded, is because of the massive investment needed in it- and as an independent entity- the cost of this will be borne directly by users, like it or lump it.

I imagine it'll be along the lines of 1c per litre which is more or less the commercial rate. Maybe with a tan dig charge of 10 euro a month.

ted1 wrote: »
    I imagine it'll be along the lines of 1c per litre which is more or less the commercial rate. Maybe with a tan dig charge of 10 euro a month.
    In Dublin, in 2012, the rate was €1.99 per 1,000 litres or €0.00199 or 5 litres to the cent.

Victor wrote: »
    In Dublin, in 2012, the rate was €1.99 per 1,000 litres or €0.00199 or 5 litres to the cent.

I guess different councils charge different rates

Victor wrote: »

Is that commercial rates?
    If so- its already been stated that commercial rates have nothing whatsoever to do with residential rates.

Do you know what the horrible thing about all of this is?

The regulator is guaranteeing Irish Water a particular level of income.
    If people are thrifty and economical with their water usage- Irish Water have the right to increase rates, simply because their income level is not as high as they are allowed by the regulator.

Its the same premise operated for Bord Gais. They are allowed a particular income level. They can argue a higher level based on, for example, an increase in international prices. This has zero baring on their operational costs- and even in straightened times, such as these- they are allowed significant increases in prices per unit- to compensate them for people not using as much as they might have done.

So- heads they win, tails they win- and one way or the other- we, as consumers, loose.

Where else on earth is the regulator allowed operate like this- they haven't one iota of concern for the consumer.

By the way- there is a public consultation on pricing- and vis-a-vis gas and electricity prices- annually (The ESB- or whatever the hell they're called these days, aren't governed by this anymore, as they are no longer viewed as a monopoly supplier)..........

Only in Ireland.

I suppose we'd better be thankful this isn't the UK. YET!!

None of the privatised companies are British-owned - they're mostly French. And they seem to charge what they like on a whim, despite the presence of a regulator which is OFWAT. Some households are still on rates. Some are on the meters. And it isn't by a company by company basis either. It seems to vary from house to house. For instance - I am still on a rate at home. But my friend in the next borough has a meter. She pays £60pm for her water. But there's none of this crip crap about cutting people off for weeks due to council incompetence which is what happened to us on the Northside of Cork City during one of the coldest and wettest winters in recent memory. The companies know that if consumers are cut off for more than four hours, then compensation had to be paid. The water quality is alleged to be better as well. (I dunno about that! :P)

OTOH. Perhaps with the advent of Irish Water, we can dream about a better service. But there again - this is Ireland! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 maggiebb

Like any other bill gas, electricity, internet. Tenants will pay water charges.

maggiebb wrote: »
    Like any other bill gas, electricity, internet. Tenants will pay water charges.

And why wouldn't they? Its a utility, like any other.
    If you were in the UK- you, as tenant, would also be liable for council tax (the Irish equivalent, the LPT, is currently paid by landlord's- however, as the government has decreed it is not a tax deductible expense (as it is in other countries where its payable by the landlord)- its probable that we'll go down the road of making it a residential tax, akin to the UK system- sooner or later).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

And why wouldn't they? Its a utility, like any other.
    If you were in the UK- you, as tenant, would also be liable for council tax (the Irish equivalent, the LPT, is currently paid by landlord's- however, as the government has decreed it is not a tax deductible expense (as it is in other countries where its payable by the landlord)- its probable that we'll go down the road of making it a residential tax, akin to the UK system- sooner or later).

Hopefully they bring in three or four more stealth taxes so the complacent lump that seems to constitute most of the population might get their blood up enough to at least engage in mass civil disobedience. I use very little water and I resent the thought of being charged a flat rate. I could happily survive with the mains disconnected , but they'll prob make it illegal not to pay the charges either way. Haven't drank tap water in five years , can shower at the gym and can wash cutlery etc with filtered rain water at the drain outside. **** them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know if Irish Water will come under the Sale of Goods Act ? if so as soon as they send me a bill I'll be taking them to the Small Claims Court for selling me goods not of a merchantable quality.

It'll only cost me €25, be well worth it to see what excuse they try to put on undrinkable water.

Advertisement