Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grace Park Wood Development, Drumcondra

• 19-05-2017 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

Did anybody else bought there home in the last weekend's launch of Grace Park Wood Development, Drumcondra.

How are you finding the development?

I booked a Ash Type 3 bed house, it seems a little small for the price and doesn't seems to have enough storage space.

How are you finding the finish of the house?

Thanks
    Timelapse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Househunter30

Hi,

I too have booking deposit on a house in Grace Park Woods. Savilles confirmed today that there will be social housing in the development as referenced in a Sunday Times article yesterday. We were not aware of this until yesterday.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 32 IronSteve

Hi,

I too have booking deposit on a house in Grace Park Woods. Savilles confirmed today that there will be social housing in the development as referenced in a Sunday Times article yesterday. We were not aware of this until yesterday.

Best of luck
    What percentage social housing? Would assume 10% is standard in all new developments?

Yes, 10 percent social housing apparently is now standard for any new development that was granted planning after September 2015. It seems that Grace Park woods was granted planning in October 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭dubrov

Hi,

Best of luck

Strange as I was told the day before they went on sale that there would be no social housing due to the timing of the planning application.

Surely they must have known at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 IronSteve

They definitely knew.

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »
    Strange as I was told the day before they went on sale that there would be no social housing due to the timing of the planning application.

Surely they must have known at that stage.

Sunday Times article by Valerie Flynn yesterday indicated the developer was in negotiations with the council to finalise costs and agreements for social housing. I rang Savilles today and they confirmed this was the case. They couldn't tell me where in the development the social houses would be yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ohcrap

I've a deposit down too- bit worried- surely they must have known and do know the amount now? Will we know before we get to contract stage?

Is there a link to the article? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

10% is the legal requirement and social housing these days tends to be scattered around a development rather than a block of homes, for many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

I know 10% is the legal amount but how exactly does that work. You build an estate of 700 k houses you have to build 10% equal quality houses.Or can they build lower cost houses in the estate. If it's a mixed value estate 3/4/5 beds are the 10% taken from the 3 beds or mixed. I'd have no issue with it in the long term it's creating better communities and stops putting all people who need in the one area creating gettos. I would be worried of the councils buying up extra. Iv heard of them buying up to more then 50% in some areas because of the houseing crises.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes, 10 percent social housing apparently is now standard for any new development that was granted planning after September 2015. It seems that Grace Park woods was granted planning in October 2015.

10% now, it used to be 20%. So social housing inclusion was always planned for this estate. Phase approaching completion, with the following phases to commence straight away.

• Advertisement

Here we go wrote: »
    I know 10% is the legal amount but how exactly does that work. You build an estate of 700 k houses you have to build 10% equal quality houses.Or can they build lower cost houses in the estate. If it's a mixed value estate 3/4/5 beds are the 10% taken from the 3 beds or mixed. I'd have no issue with it in the long term it's creating better communities and stops putting all people who need in the one area creating gettos. I would be worried of the councils buying up extra. Iv heard of them buying up to more then 50% in some areas because of the houseing crises.

A broad mixture of 2, 3 and 4 bed units.
    Scattered throughout the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Timelapse

Hi Househunter30,

Do you have the link to that article from Sunday Times?

Thanks!!

Here you go:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/builders-sell-homes-despite-lack-of-deals-over-social-housing-qrmp3fls7

If you register without subscription, you can view 2 articles per week on the Times website

Hi,

Is any body been offered Attic Conversion by the builder for there house in GPW?

Thanks!!

Estate agent on site said that the roof would be too low to do an attic conversion. I think it was specifically in relation to the Elm.
    I thought that was strange given the planning suggests it is possible.

Estate agent on site said that the roof would be too low to do an attic conversion. I think it was specifically in relation to the Elm.
    I thought that was strange given the planning suggests it is possible.

I thought that the height for Ash is not enough for Attic but Elm, Hazel & other are fine....Which reference you have that suggest that Attic is possible??

Timelapse wrote: »
    I thought that the height for Ash is not enough for Attic but Elm, Hazel & other are fine....Which reference you have that suggest that Attic is possible??

You can find it in the full planning application here
    http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=2991/15&SearchID=2

Hi Dubrov,

Yes I can see the planning permission is already approved for 3 Bed Deep Type (Elm) house for Attic Conversion and Extension. That includes putting in Dormer Window in front.

For Hazel there is no planning permission taken but elevation on Hazel (9.643) is more than Elm(9.131) from plans and seems to follow the same deep type house structure.

Wonder why the the estate agent then said that Elm cannot be converted??

The estate agents may have made a mistake. I would check directly with them.

I also don't understand why they wouldn't offer the attic conversion (even at a high price) as an option on any of the houses.
    I would be cheaper to do during the initial build rather than trying to convert afterwards.

Also there is planning permission granted for Extension at back of Ash Type houses.

But I haven't heard a single things about it!!

• Advertisement

I also don't understand why they wouldn't offer the attic conversion (even at a high price) as an option on any of the houses.
    I would be cheaper to do during the initial build rather than trying to convert afterwards.

Hi Dubrov,

If they don't offer Attic conversion on Hazel or Elm type house would the ceiling of 1st floor be made strong enough to support Attic??

Cause if the ceiling is not made strong enough then it would be a problem?

As the houses are timber frame you can't add steel beams to support Attic Conversion??

Thanks

Timelapse wrote: »
    Hi Dubrov,

If they don't offer Attic conversion on Hazel or Elm type house would the ceiling of 1st floor be made strong enough to support Attic??

Cause if the ceiling is not made strong enough then it would be a problem?

As the houses are timber frame you can't add steel beams to support Attic Conversion??

Thanks

I have no idea I am afraid. I asked before the sale date about extensions and attic conversions and was told the family room extension was only available on the Elm to make it the same as the Blackthorn. Attic conversions were not being offered by the builder.

I had a nose on the Saturday and was told the attic could not have been converted on the Elm due to the roof height.

I had already decided not to buy before the initial viewing on the Friday as although the 3 beds looked nice on the plans, they were a bit too small for us. An attic conversion and family room extension would probably have been sufficient space-wise internally but it would have decimated the already tiny garden.

I think the 3 beds will all still close fairly quickly though.

I have no idea I am afraid. I asked before the sale date about extensions and attic conversions and was told the family room extension was only available on the Elm to make it the same as the Blackthorn. Attic conversions were not being offered by the builder.

I had a nose on the Saturday and was told the attic could not have been converted on the Elm due to the roof height.

I had already decided not to buy before the initial viewing on the Friday as although the 3 beds looked nice on the plans, they were a bit too small for us. An attic conversion and family room extension would probably have been sufficient space-wise internally but it would have decimated the already tiny garden.

I think the 3 beds will all still close fairly quickly though.

So you haven't booked anyone from the Prelaunch?

Yes. I didn't book any.

I knew the prices and viewed the plans so knew what I'd be getting beforehand

It's all got to do with plot ratios, number of bed spaces and private open spaces. If they convert the attic then they add a double. We space to that dwelling which means that the private open space for that dwelling increases which in turn means the occupation level of the estate increases which in turn means the public open spaces in the development increases.

Everything has a knock on effect.
    Then you have the development standards for the city which ensures a mix of 2,3 and 4 bed houses. If every house in the estate had the extra bedroom the average house price increases and in turn excludes many buyers from the scheme.
    This ensures a mixed development.

Then you have the building regulations for a 3 storey dwelling which are strictor than a 2 storey and bottom line here is that it increases the cost to the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fada70

I was also told that attics cannot be modified (trussed roof structure, etc.). 
    Any update re social housing location? 
    Is anyone going for Help to Buy rebate? The developer is listed as qualifying constructor.
    Scary news re emerging housing bubble last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BCunn

Fada70 wrote: »
    I was also told that attics cannot be modified (trussed roof structure, etc.). 
    Any update re social housing location? 
    Is anyone going for Help to Buy rebate? The developer is listed as qualifying constructor.
    Scary news re emerging housing bubble last week...

Hi, Deposit down on an Elm and saw this thread so thought I would join.
    Having asked the EA I was told there was no attic conversions on offer, that's not to say the attic cannot be converted, but that it isn't on offer as part of the sale (in the same way the kitchen extension is). I think this is because the trussed roofs are a cheaper method (prefabbed and stuck on the house) for development, but are more complex to convert into a living space as a result.
    I would be interested in an attic conversion in the future so had also come across similar threads while researching, cant link them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fada70

You are one of the six lucky ones :). 
    Elms were taken, so I put a deposit on a Hazel hoping for a future attic conversion - the planning permission docs indicate sufficient roof height. The kitchen looks smaller every time I view it :(. 
    Worried a bit that the 5-beds are not selling...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Fada70 wrote: »
    Worried a bit that the 5-beds are not selling...

At 735k a pop I wouldn't be surprised

• Advertisement

Have been told by council that 2 apartment blocks will consist of social housing and not the houses.

Advertisement