Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers benefit

• 28-09-2017 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi. Anyone explain why a person with 35 years paat employment can only qualify for one 9 month full payment period on jobseekers benefit as social welfare say they base approval on the 'relevant year' which is two years before a claim is submitted..so if you have worked for the last 9 months but didn't work two years ago you are not entitled to JB.
    Why do the other 35 years paye not count?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Because they don't.

Tax is tax. It doesn't have to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭screamer

There are other criteria than the relevant tax year, I think something like the number of stamps (PRSI contributions paid in the past 3 years or so). It's not hard to qualify for the benefit, as there are so many ways you can qualify. I think what you are asking is why is someone only entitled to 9 months? Well, simply, it's an instrument to basically force those of us that work, back into work. If you know you'll only have 9 months of support, you'll do your best to get another job. Also, if you are married, or have a civil partner, then your payment is means tested, and your partner/ spouse is expected to support you. It's an unfair system, and very much stacked against the working person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

If I quit my job in April and have to wait 9 weeks to get jobseekers benefit it would be July when I get payment, this payment is based on my 2017 income, and would last for 9 months, so it's 6 months to the end of 2018, and 3 months into the new new 2019, my question is does the payment date applied in july 2018 remain the same for the 3 months in 2019.

Advertisement