Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round... 2018 ?

• 11-01-2018 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

Second time I get to kick this yearly thread off with a good round.

Casual round no placing in Bettystown. Mix of green and white tee's.

46points/83 strokes off 22HC
    1Birdie/7Pars/7Bogies/3Doubles

Making a real push this year after getting custom fit and hope to post more scores like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Played last saturday in my new course's comp.
    15 holes open and i scored a massive 14 points off a 5 handicap.

Lost a ball (plugged) just off fairway 5 holes in and with that lost any motivation i had.

Been to the range a few times since and things aren't as bad as that score suggests although i wasn't hitting it as well as the +3 handicapper in the bay beside me. 2015 Irish Close Champion.

Will take me a while to get my short game back to where it was at but I find I pitch, chip and putt much worse when it's wet and greens are slow. Bring on a bit of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Played last Tuesday, 18 holes s'ford placing everywhere.

Going along nicely and eagle the 10th to go -1 gross. Bogey Index 1 14th, no damage done, then hit a shocking 2nd on the par 5 16th that leads to a double and bogey, bogey 17 & 18. Finish with 38 and 39 gets 3rd......

RAGE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

First round in new home club today. It was during the Open Singles, forgot to bring the HC cert so I just played in the group. Debating on just handing in 3 new cards as it was given as an option.

Placing everywhere, very wet in places and extremely cold and windy. Felt I played poorly.

38pts off 22 with 1 scratch.

6 Pars
    6Bogies
    6 Doubles or Worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    First round in new home club today. It was during the Open Singles, forgot to bring the HC cert so I just played in the group. Debating on just handing in 3 new cards as it was given as an option.

Placing everywhere, very wet in places and extremely cold and windy. Felt I played poorly.

6 Pars
    6Bogies
    6 Doubles or Worse.

bring your handicap cert next time if it's valid and win your way down to where you should be. :D 38 playing poorly...

bring your handicap cert next time if it's valid and win your way down to where you should be. :D 38 playing poorly...
    I felt I could have scored better if I left the driver in the bag for more of the round.

I don't need a win to have a good round, don't want to hear the word bandit thrown around :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

In fairness, to score 38 points and say you played poorly is a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭a post punk

6 Pars
    6Bogies
    6 Doubles or Worse.
    Your on the way down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

21 points for 12 holes today. Getting used to this new handicap so happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Macker1

6 Pars
    6Bogies
    6 Doubles or Worse.

38 pts is playing poorly :eek::eek:

I would have thought that submitting 3 cards for a new hcap wouldn't apply if your present hcap hadn't lapsed.

Macker1 wrote: »
    38 pts is playing poorly :eek::eek:

I would have thought that submitting 3 cards for a new hcap wouldn't apply if your present hcap hadn't lapsed.

It just wasn't the same level of golf played the week before, I'm not un happy about the outcome, it's great if its my bad golf score.

Not sure how it would work to be honest, just what was said to me on the phone. Maybe some form of general play cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

25 points off 11 (9 hole comp) -1 gross. Never hit as good

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

First round of the year in the Spring league yesterday, and i shot my best ever score.

32 points over 12 holes (16hc). 3 over gross, which is about 10 shots better than i normally do. I was just hitting the ball really well, and my putting was great. Had 5 pars in a row, followed by a birdie (par 5) on the 7th. That putt felt good i'll tell ya :P) Had 3 bogeys on the last 4 holes, which was a little annoying, but hopefully i'll be in with a shot of my first ever prize :)

Slowing down my swing has helped me massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

38 points off 18 with 2 scratches yesterday with very wet conditions underfoot. Delighted with that. 2 birdies and 7 pars off 18. Best round I've had in months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Played Doonbeg yesterday, 25 points including 4 scratches in a row at the beginning of the back 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Won the Captains drive in (Sat 9 hole scramble) and had 33 pts in the winter league Sunday (13 hole) and should of been more! seems my lessons and range time are paying off eventually... The game just seemed easy the weekend even when I was in trouble ..

My chipping has been unbelievable of late. I know its placing but still I couldn't chip for **** all last year! confidence is growing in it now..

Its a mad game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

played a 4 ball match play in Wicklow Golf Club, very wet Saturday morning (again)
    lost 2&1
    shot a bad 23 off 18 handicap

Avoid Wicklow for a while gents. it's very wet and the 16th is temp greens till i reckon April.
    it's a hard course without wind and constant rain.
    Drove ok and putted well, Irons were muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

woodyg wrote: »
    played a 4 ball match play in Wicklow Golf Club, very wet Saturday morning (again)
    lost 2&1
    shot a bad 23 off 18 handicap

Avoid Wicklow for a while gents. it's very wet and the 16th is temp greens till i reckon April.
    it's a hard course without wind and constant rain.
    Drove ok and putted well, Irons were muck.

I think you will find that when it's a very wet morning, most courses will be very wet. It's a bit harsh to advise avoiding the course "for a while" when there was exceptionally heavy rain early Saturday morning.
    Yes, our 16th green has been re-constructed and there is currently a temporary green in place but our 17 other greens are in fantastic condition considering the horrible winter we have had thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭a post punk

benny79 wrote: »
    Won the Captains drive in (Sat 9 hole scramble) and had 33 pts in the winter league Sunday (13 hole) and should of been more! seems my lessons and range time are paying off eventually... The game just seemed easy the weekend even when I was in trouble ..

My chipping has been unbelievable of late. I know its placing but still I couldn't chip for **** all last year! confidence is growing in it now..

Its a mad game!
    Will i take a few shots off ya so benny??:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

HighLine wrote: »
    I think you will find that when it's a very wet morning, most courses will be very wet. It's a bit harsh to advise avoiding the course "for a while" when there was exceptionally heavy rain early Saturday morning.
    Yes, our 16th green has been re-constructed and there is currently a temporary green in place but our 17 other greens are in fantastic condition considering the horrible winter we have had thus far.

oh don't take it as a slight on the course as it's one of my favorite challenges in the east coast. i just imho think at this time of year it can be overly frustrating with 0 carry as those uphill holes play like a shot a hole extra.
    i'll be back in late march when it's dried out a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

woodyg wrote: »
    oh don't take it as a slight on the course as it's one of my favorite challenges in the east coast. i just imho think at this time of year it can be overly frustrating with 0 carry as those uphill holes play like a shot a hole extra.
    i'll be back in late march when it's dried out a bit

Ah no worries Woodyg, suppose it's just the time of the year when most people are fed up of the wet weather but still it's never good to have someone go away after playing a course and they didn't enjoy it.

Send me a PM the next time you want to play Wicklow and I'll organise that your fourball is complimentary. We are hoping the new 16th green will be open in April if you want to wait until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭benny79

Will i take a few shots off ya so benny??:pac::pac::pac:

Ha... It's not qualifying yet Post! but dont worry shots WILL be coming off me this year that I will guarantee ;):D

I played in Ardee last week, but it was quite miserable and wet. 45 on the front and I gave up counting on the back. It was very much my old golf even though I was scoring ok.

Played Monty in Carton today for the first time.
    Quite cold and v. windy , up to 40kmph at times.

Still enjoyed the round, the bunkers are class but I feel the course wouldn't be much without them.

Felt I played reasonably well but still not quite the way I would like. 3 3putts and chipping was rusty for the front 9.

39pts 22hc/91 Strokes

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Ronney

Soild start to the year with 27pts for 12 holes. off 10

Slightly overshadowed by my 1 h/c partner who spent most of the 1st hole moaning how he had no chance in the winter league comp as the high h/c with shots and placing always win

7/12 birdies later he smugly signed for 32pts 9 (8 better!)...Bandit

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Ronney

dp

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

first full 18 holes in 2018.
    34 points off 14.
    1 birdie.
    6 pars.
    5 bogeys
    3 dbl bogey
    3 worse.
    scratched first two holes for second time this week. Drove it well but putting and most wedge play was very poor.

Played today in Ardee, probably not the best idea as I was fairly sick.

Scrambled all day and came in with 37/94 strokes points with a scratch. Terrible iron and driver play, good short game. Up and down 5/6.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

After my best round ever three weeks ago, i shot some bloody woeful stuff the last two weekend. 17 and then 21 points in the 12 hold competition.

The 17 i blame on being freezing, and just couldn't get warm. But the 21 was just bad.

Lots to work on, but that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Practice over the winter starting to pay dividends. Last two weekends I have scored 27 points in 13 hole comps. Yesterday was particularly satisfying. Only had 2 points after 3 holes. Started the fightback with a birdie, 4 pointer, then scratched again after losing a ball up near the green. Then played the last 7 in level par with another birdie, 5 pars and one bogey.

Stayed patient after a sloppy start and got the rewards. A real lesson to myself for when things are not going to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Been flopping around for the half dozen comps I played since November with 20 something points every single time. But got 37 on Sunday on a very cold morning while hitting the ball quite well and sound enough short game. A welcome surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Third Sunday running with a good score. 26 points for the 13 holes, so played to handicap. 1 scratch after a wild hooked drive out of bounds. Other than that can only think of one other poor shot. Felt totally in control of my game all day.

Decent on the greens, no 3 putts. My reading and execution of putts was excellent all day but pace let me down a bit. Lost count of how many long putts were tracking for the hole only to pull up short. But nothing missed that I should have sank.

Winter league final next Saturday and interclub practice starting, both signs of the new season about to start, can't wait to get going.

Advertisement