Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

• 30-01-2018 3:34pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Thread continued from here

The usual rules apply. Non-rugby talk here. Consider this a social place, but like a pub, things like religion and politics can be divisive, so don't say things here you wouldn't say to someone's face in the pub. Sober ;)

Comments

• Zzippy wrote: »
    so don't say things here you wouldn't say to someone's face in the pub. Sober ;)

Zzippy has a nice arse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Zzippy has a nice arse.

Now that's what I'm talking about... just keep your hands to yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

sydthebeat wrote: »

not correct either

the MRBI poll in march 2015 had the yes vote at 74 % ... it passed at 62%, proving people turn more conservative when closer to the vote.

That doesn’t prove anything except polls are inaccurate. How often do polls predict accurately the outcome? If they did Brexit wouldn’t have happened, Hilary would be president and Theresa May would have a big majority. Attributing it to a swing towards conservatism may be a good narrative for polling companies but it isn’t a factual based one.

Up till last night the grey area existed, now it doesn’t so that supposed 15% undecided will probably shrink rapidly.

Unless the opinion polls are being extrapolated from previously gathered data, though I’m sure that never happens :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

MRBI did another poll last week, I believe. Would be interesting to see what it'd be at now that the referendum has actually been announced, the numbers actually matter suddenly!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

stephen_n wrote: »
    That doesn’t prove anything except polls are inaccurate.

sorry but the trend expressed was that voters tend to vote more conservatively when closer to the voting time... that has been borne out many times in many issues for it to actually be seen as a trend.

you said
    The notion of people voting more conservatively when it came time to vote was mooted for the marriage referendum too, but didn’t seem to happen

i clearly showed that actually... thats exactly what happened.

No one is questioning whether polls are inaccurate or not, they are, purely by definition.... so im not sure why you posted the above.

the reason why i brought up the trend of voters voting more conservative is because the last MRBI poll, which suggested 62% would be in favour of repeal, will mean that the actual voting number will most likely be less than that therefore the 'pro repeal' side shouldnt be resting on their laurels

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

stephen_n wrote: »
    That doesn’t prove anything except polls are inaccurate. How often do polls predict accurately the outcome? If they did Brexit wouldn’t have happened, Hilary would be president and Theresa May would have a big majority. Attributing it to a swing towards conservatism may be a good narrative for polling companies but it isn’t a factual based one.

Didn't plenty of polls show Brexit was a serious possibility but people figured the voting would be different?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Didn't plenty of polls show Brexit was a serious possibility but people figured the voting would be different?

Yep and similarly, the presidential election polling gave trump around a 33% chance of winning according to fivethirtyeight, a stats website, before the election. The same site was giving Romney a 7% chance in 2012. So Trumps victory wasn’t as shocking as portrayed.

General election polling in the UK has a poor track record historically I think I remember reading, missed the conservative romp in ‘15 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yes. And things tightened up massively as the vote approached. Red = Leave, Green = Remain.

UK_EU_referendum_polling.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Slightly misleading graph - the mean values came closer together, but the variance (particularly in Leave prediction) increased, just by looking at it. Thus, you can retrospectively say the aggregate of the polls fell on or around the eventual vote, but at the time, predicting the result from the polls was not so easy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Predicting to would have been difficult sure but to call Brexit unforeseen based on polls is utterly incorrect.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Slightly misleading graph - the mean values came closer together, but the variance (particularly in Leave prediction) increased, just by looking at it. Thus, you can retrospectively say the aggregate of the polls fell on or around the eventual vote, but at the time, predicting the result from the polls was not so easy.

I think that's the point really. They don't clearly show Remain to win.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    sorry but the trend expressed was that voters tend to vote more conservatively when closer to the voting time... that has been borne out many times in many issues for it to actually be seen as a trend.

you said

i clearly showed that actually... thats exactly what happened.

No one is questioning whether polls are inaccurate or not, they are, purely by definition.... so im not sure why you posted the above.

the reason why i brought up the trend of voters voting more conservative is because the last MRBI poll, which suggested 62% would be in favour of repeal, will mean that the actual voting number will most likely be less than that therefore the 'pro repeal' side shouldnt be resting on their laurels

You are not clearly showing that people voted more conservatively though. You are showing that the outcome of the vote was more conservative than predicted by the polls. That is not the same thing. The trend you are talking about can be explained by the poor samples used. MRBI polls sometimes use no more than 1000 subjects (Can't find the sample size for the current one), from varying age and gender demographics. They are predominately collected in major population centres, for ease of collection. This will obviously have an impact on the liberal/conservative split. Given that there is a far more conservative viewpoint in general outside the major urban centres. I'm not entirely sure if MRBI make adjustments for that, can't see anything in there posted results to suggest they do.

I would say 62% is squeaky bum time for the pro-repeal campaign as they would be lucky to get 52-55% based on that, given previous polls v outcomes.
    I don't see this being anything but a close call in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Predicting to would have been difficult sure but to call Brexit unforeseen based on polls is utterly incorrect.
    I think that's the point really. They don't clearly show Remain to win.

Ah ok, I get you now. Agreed.

Variance in polling will continue until they can adjust to the shift in media and technology usage. For e.g., are telephone polls really a reliable assay of voter behaviour these days?

It's well established that for a large population (i.e. all the adults in Ireland) that 1100 is enough to get within a +- 3% margin of error, which is why around that sample size is used very frequently.

Urban v rural or other factors could be an issue.

I didn’t mean to infer unforeseen, just that all three were the opposite of what the polls were predicting in days before the votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

In Liverpool. Any craft beer pub recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ship and Mitre. You'll probably find a couple of taps in most decent bars with some beers you've never tried, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Ship and Mitre. You'll probably find a couple of taps in most decent bars with some beers you've never tried, though.

I knew you'd deliver! Merci.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Any craft beer pub recommendations?

You are so Leinster. AK must be so proud of you.

John Hayes is disgusted.

Yes, stop being pretentious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

High ankle sprains are a huge pain in the bollix...

The Shipping Forecast is a good pub

Bazzo wrote: »

The Shipping Forecast is a good pub

Did you miss the memo? We call that syndesmosis now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bazzo wrote: »

That must be very high indeed.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

John Hayes is disgusted.

This is the lad who thinks pear belongs in a sandwich... probably puts tomato in a fruit salad just to be different.

Thomond hand in your MRSC membership and your John Hayes pyjamas!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah_Right wrote: »

John Hayes is disgusted.

I've often told him that over a poached egg.

.ak wrote: »
    I've often told him that over a poached egg.

With Himalayan salt and Artisanal Cracked Pepper, and served on organic spelt toast, drizzled with monkey's tears...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zzippy wrote: »
    With Himalayan salt and Artisanal Cracked Pepper, and served on organic spelt toast, drizzled with monkey's tears...

giphy.gif

Just to be clear, its the pink peppercorns that are becoming the cool thing now, although I appreciate Zzippy is from the west and they probably won't get it there for about 20 years.

Just to be clear, its the pink peppercorns that are becoming the cool thing now, although I appreciate Zzippy is from the west and they probably won't get it there for about 20 years.

No, we're very cosmopolitan when it comes to food here, the local shop started selling that curly pasta over 5 years ago, and sure Supermacs is the home of curry chips!

• Advertisement

When you’re listening to the Stone Roses and your girlfriend asks you why you’re listening to country music, is it time for a trade in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement