Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hosting of the Irish Open... The Big 5

• 05-02-2018 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

This was posted this afternoon - looks like Rory will soon be one of five hosts of the DDF Irish Open. It'll now be shared between Padraig, Paul, Darren, G-Mac and Rory.

European Tour Press Release

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

This was posted this afternoon - looks like Rory will soon be one of five hosts of the DDF Irish Open. It'll now be shared between Padraig, Paul, Darren, G-Mac and Rory.

European Tour Press Release

I'd love to see it have a rotation of courses like The Open Championship. I love Ballyliffen, but I must admit to asking why, it's gone there?.... Any way... onwards and upwards for the Irish Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surprised Shane was left off that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Why? He's not at the same level of the other 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Probably be added when he wins a Major.

Good move though - especially using McGinley, annoying and all as I find him, he must be one of the best connected people out there in European golf which can only help bring in some of the bigger names.

It would be great, too, if it could keep it's current slot just before the Open, and rotate it around some of our links courses - that might encourage a few more over to use it as preparation for that competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Its not "just before the open" the Scottish event is before the open, but next year it will be before the open at Portrush, whoever gets it probably will have a load of yanks playing it as a practice for the open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Rory has used his profile to turn the fortunes of the IO around in the last few years. Love or loath him you have to give him credit for this. Fully entitled to step back a little now and fully focus on his game.

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Its not "just before the open" the Scottish event is before the open, but next year it will be before the open at Portrush, whoever gets it probably will have a load of yanks playing it as a practice for the open.

Yes, I know when it is.....as I said, 'just before' not "immediately before...."

....for the pedants who read these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Wombatman wrote: »
    Rory has used his profile to turn the fortunes of the IO around in the last few years. Love or loath him you have to give him credit for this. Fully entitled to step back a little now and fully focus on his game.

Yes indeed, 5 years ago it looked a realistic possibility that it would be scrapped completely. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Why? He's not at the same level of the other 5.

U joking mcginley has done nothing

Eoinyh wrote: »
    U joking mcginley has done nothing

That's a bit like saying Fergie did nothing in the game of football......if you judge both them of them on their playing career that would be true, but there's more to any game/sport than just playing it.

paul-mcginley-630x473.jpg

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    That's a bit like saying Fergie did nothing in the game of football......if you judge both them of them on their playing career that would be true, but there's more to any game/sport than just playing it.

paul-mcginley-630x473.jpg

Really, You believe that he won it for them, Ferguson put his teams together,off course it's all about what you done as a player in golf, there is nothing else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Really, You believe that he won it for them, Ferguson put his teams together,off course it's all about what you done as a player in golf, there is nothing else

Don't let Colin Montgomery hear you say that.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Don't let Colin Montgomery hear you say that.

At least monty was a great player and done something when playing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

At least monty was a great player and done something when playing

McGinley is high profile through his Sky tv work if nothing else. I'd imagine that was a factor somewhere in the story. As for his playing, well, a member of 3 winning Ryder Cup teams and winner of the Volvo Masters counts for something. The playing argument could just as easily be made about Poulter from a British Masters point of view too. You don't have to be a major winner to host a tournament.

Russman wrote: »
    McGinley is high profile through his Sky tv work if nothing else. I'd imagine that was a factor somewhere in the story. As for his playing, well, a member of 3 winning Ryder Cup teams and winner of the Volvo Masters counts for something. The playing argument could just as easily be made about Poulter from a British Masters point of view too. You don't have to be a major winner to host a tournament.

His sky punditry was terrible, predictable, bland, repetitive stuff. Thank god I have t seen him on sky this year, and hope he is finished there. Maybe he had a few highlights in his playing career, nothing special,I'd take lowrys career to date over his, as for captaining the Ryder cup, he milked the life out of that, too much made of it

His sky punditry was terrible, predictable, bland, repetitive stuff. Thank god I have t seen him on sky this year, and hope he is finished there. Maybe he had a few highlights in his playing career, nothing special,I'd take lowrys career to date over his, as for captaining the Ryder cup, he milked the life out of that, too much made of it

Did Paul upset you at some stage?
    did he hurt you? it's ok!! It's gonna be OK!

Milked the Ryder Cup.... Too much made of it..... Oh seriously living this one....

Not for a moment do I think Europe won because of McGinley, but he played a role and consequently has a decent profile because of that. And it's his profile within the game that makes it a sensible decision to include him in the rota.......despite being quite annoying as a pundit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Maybe Shane just doesn't have the money to be involved yet. Give him a few more years on tour and big tournie wins and he'll slot himself into number 6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Ona side note, speaking of McGinley/Ferguson, imagine getting a surprise when Fergie walks in before the 2014 Ryder Cup matches and gives a speech about Geese flying in formation as a metaphor for teamwork. You'd be feeling a bit insulted as a highly motivated professional golfer having a Scottish football manager trying to inspire you into doing your bit for the team in one of your sports highest profile events. Surely it is the Ryder Cup captain who ought to be doing the motivating and not the now established trope of having the likes of Stevie G or Pauly O'Connell potentially doing much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Agreed. As a pundit I have never seen the value he provides. As a pundit he is safe and bland, a no-sh1t-sherlock.

*Player drives it into bunker* "Ah, that was a big mistake there..."
    *Player short sides themselves into a bunker* "That'll be a tough up and down..."

He is a good fit for a host for the Irish Open though to that end. A lot of media experience accrued as RC captain and well able to promote to press the flesh and shoot the breeze with sponsors et al.

• Advertisement

valoren wrote: »
    Ona side note, speaking of McGinley/Ferguson, imagine getting a surprise when Fergie walks in before the 2014 Ryder Cup matches and gives a speech about Geese flying in formation as a metaphor for teamwork. You'd be feeling a bit insulted as a highly motivated professional golfer having a Scottish football manager trying to inspire you into doing your bit for the team in one of your sports highest profile events. Surely it is the Ryder Cup captain who ought to be doing the motivating and not the now established trope of having the likes of Stevie G or Pauly O'Connell potentially doing much the same.

Some captains/managers/coaches are roarers and shouters and it works for them, some work more on a personal level.

You probably need both - the 'parent' and the 'driver' (good cop/bad cop)- you look at the combo of Shankly/Paisley, McGeechan/Telfer etc. One to dish out the boll!ckings, one to put an arm around the shoulder and say "it'll be alright, here's what you need to do."

Doesn't really work in golf though, because so much rests on the individual - and beyond picking the wildcards, setting up the pairs and maybe just making sure there's a nice atmosphere around the team, the skipper can't do a whole lot, in the way a football or rugby coach can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Jawgap wrote: »
    Some captains/managers/coaches are roarers and shouters and it works for them, some work more on a personal level.

You probably need both - the 'parent' and the 'driver' (good cop/bad cop)- you look at the combo of Shankly/Paisley, McGeechan/Telfer etc. One to dish out the boll!ckings, one to put an arm around the shoulder and say "it'll be alright, here's what you need to do."

Doesn't really work in golf though, because so much rests on the individual - and beyond picking the wildcards, setting up the pairs and maybe just making sure there's a nice atmosphere around the team, the skipper can't do a whole lot, in the way a football or rugby coach can.

Ryder Cup Captain: "Just taaaaaaap it in"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I'm hoping the 3-2 bias doesn't reflect an alternating Open between the North and South each year. Too much effort for me to travel last year and this year. #DruidsGlen2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Agree re the Ryder Cup and his commentary. Having said that, he played in 3 Ryder Cups himself, 1 of which (04) was unquestionably the finest ever performance by a European team, and made it to the top 20 of the world. Maybe he didnt win as much as he should have but he was a damn good player in his day.

neckedit wrote: »
    Did Paul upset you at some stage?
    did he hurt you? it's ok!! It's gonna be OK!

Milked the Ryder Cup.... Too much made of it..... Oh seriously living this one....

That's my opinion, maybe you should give yours rather than trying to be little mine, a hero of yours it seems

That's my opinion, maybe you should give yours rather than trying to be little mine, a hero of yours it seems

At it seems I have upset you, McGinley is not a Hero of mine at all, But I do respect what he has done in his golf career, His Ryder Cups, World Cup wins and how he carries himself in the public and how he has represented his country and his sport
    now that's my opinion. Feel free to belittle all you wish.

neckedit wrote: »
    At it seems I have upset you, McGinley is not a Hero of mine at all, But I do respect what he has done in his golf career, His Ryder Cups, World Cup wins and how he carries himself in the public and how he has represented his country and his sport
    now that's my opinion. Feel free to belittle all you wish.

I understand, you admire him. I like my golf Heros to win big events myself. Golf World Cup-a nothing 2 ball event, Ryder cup-team event played every 2 years, good crack and competitive at times, media sell it on past glories as "a crucial shot at a crucial time"to win, it's usually one shot. I don't see it like that,that he carries himself in public with honour, in fact I see it as the opposite, i think he spurts out the same old rubbish, safe, won't upset anyone or damage his marketability, milk, milk, milk.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZ2bKlMu5w
    Have a look at this nonsense, IMO that is not carrying yourself well in public and that is the tip off the iceberg with that rubbish coming out of him.
    Granted 20th in world rankings is good achievement, but then again you can get to world No.1 and never win!!!!!!!! It's all about winning and winning the big ones.
    Getting back to were this started, I would put Lowry streets ahead of him

Getting back to were this started, I would put Lowry streets ahead of him

I take it that you are either related to him or else a new fan of the game.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I take it that you are either related to him or else a new fan of the game.

A new fan? Why because I rate lowrys acheivements higher than mcginleys acheivements,because I think the Ryder cup is no more than a good weekends crack, we all know Lowry should have a US open, unfortunately the nerves beat him. No I'm not related or a new fan, I'm just not going round blinkered and believing mcginleys hype

• Advertisement

we all know Lowry should have a US open

What does this even mean? He has 1 win in the last half decade, has never been one of the top 12 Europeans to even make a Ryder cup team, and can't even get into majors or WGCs currently because of his ranking. Why should that resume have a US Open?

Advertisement