Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joining a Golf Club close to Limerick

Options
  • 13-02-2018 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Looking for some opinions on joining a golf club in Limerick, close to Adare.

Obviously you have old Adare Manor, which is probably the leading contender. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the clubs in this region and would recommend one over the others.

I have played Newcastle West, thought it was pretty enjoyable. Other clubs on the radar are Charleville, Ballyclough and Ballyneety. I think the things that would be important is course condition, availability of tee times (especially in the evening) and the age demographic of the club.

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The scrubber

I’m a member of Newcastle West and u would have no problem getting out in the evenings except thursdays cos of the open singles. Condition wise it’s usually in good nic and it’s a good test of golf. There is a good active membership there and u wouldn’t be short of people to play wit in Sunday comps. The only drawback about Adare in my opinion is that it’s a short course with too many par 3’s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I’m a member of Newcastle West and u would have no problem getting out in the evenings except thursdays cos of the open singles. Condition wise it’s usually in good nic and it’s a good test of golf. There is a good active membership there and u wouldn’t be short of people to play wit in Sunday comps. The only drawback about Adare in my opinion is that it’s a short course with too many par 3’s.

Thanks for the feedback. I certainly enjoyed Newcastle West when I played it in November.

Adare seems to be very, very busy which might mean we would struggle to get out.

Charleville is another high on the list, any thoughts on this especially since the changed to routing of the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The scrubber

Thanks for the feedback. I certainly enjoyed Newcastle West when I played it in November.

Adare seems to be very, very busy which might mean we would struggle to get out.

Charleville is another high on the list, any thoughts on this especially since the changed to routing of the course?

Well given the winter we’ve had I’d definitely give Newcastle another look in a few weeks when places have the chance to dry out a bit. To be honest personally I don’t like Charleville. I just don’t like the layout since they rearranged the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SEORG

Have you looked at Castletroy?

SEORG wrote: »
    Have you looked at Castletroy?

I haven't actually, it's probably worth consideration. Though I heard there was a joining fee? That may be incorrect.

Again I heard it was very, very busy and may be difficult to get tee times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

I would give strong consideration to Ballyneety.

The course is always immaculate and a true test, tee-times in the evening are generally not an issue as well.

Good luck on your choice.

Daidy2011 wrote: »
    I would give strong consideration to Ballyneety.

The course is always immaculate and a true test, tee-times in the evening are generally not an issue as well.

Good luck on your choice.

Thank you, heard some good things about Ballyneety. Think I'll try and get over there for a round before the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

Former member in NCW. Great club, decent course and no problem getting on the timesheet. Good mix of ages as well. Lovely setting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Just throw this in as well OP.....I thought I'd mention Shannon. You'd be out there in no time through the Limerick tunnel. Super layout and at the moment the club is investing in the course to make it even better. Excellent clubhouse with bar and restaurant. Generally little to no bother with tee times with the exception of Wednesdays which is open singles day. Just thought I'd mention it

Just throw this in as well OP.....I thought I'd mention Shannon. You'd be out there in no time through the Limerick tunnel. Super layout and at the moment the club is investing in the course to make it even better. Excellent clubhouse with bar and restaurant. Generally little to no bother with tee times with the exception of Wednesdays which is open singles day. Just thought I'd mention it

Thank you for the suggestion. I hadn't thought about Shannon but it's not too far away. We're playing old Adare tomorrow, much will depend on how we feel about the place after.

Proximity is going to be a big factor for others and myself included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mickeypat

I wouldnt bother with Adare anyway,its too short and full of snobby old farts.

mickeypat wrote: »
    I wouldnt bother with Adare anyway,its too short and full of snobby old farts.

Some of my best friends are snobby old farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mickeypat

Some of my best friends are snobby old farts.

Youll fit right in so

Advertisement