Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republic of Rugby bought by Off the Ball?

Options
  • 16-02-2018 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if any of the other Facebook users out there have noticed that the Republic of Rugby ( formally Rugby Banter)Facebook page is now 'Off the ball Rugby'.

Its defo part a of a wider discussion, but have OTB bought a private FB page off someone? I like off the ball but a bit of a shame to see this happen really,I wonder will the content now be more directed to OTB podcasts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Can you link to the page in question?

The OTB Rugby page has posts going way back so are you sure it's the same page?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Can you link to the page in question?

The OTB Rugby page has posts going way back so are you sure it's the same page?

They definitely acquired republic of rugby page I saw the change on Facebook the other day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Republic of rugby... sounds like awful crap like the majority of rugby discussions on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭PMC83

They broke some interesting stories and covered a few things you wouldn't see on balls or the 42. A shame to see it go.
    Its just interesting to me that the likes of OTB can go out and acquire/buy a page off someone that has with 30k + followers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Republic of rugby... sounds like awful crap like the majority of rugby discussions on facebook

Yes. The quality of rugby discussions on internet forums is so much better.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

IIRC, initially there was Rugby Banter Page which had over 100,000 followers worldwide. That was deleted. Not long after, a new Rugby Banter Page popped up and then changed its name to Republic of Rugby a few months later. Their content got more serious and they got back up to like 30,000 followers. And now Off The Ball has just bought the page and its followers from them. Not sure how I feel about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

I mean, they're Facebook groups. They're all, without exception, utter ****e. The world will keep on spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Peregrine wrote: »
    IIRC, initially there was Rugby Banter Page which had over 100,000 followers worldwide. That was deleted. Not long after, a new Rugby Banter Page popped up and then changed its name to Republic of Rugby a few months later. Their content got more serious and they got back up to like 30,000 followers. And now Off The Ball has just bought the page and its followers from them. Not sure how I feel about that.

I believe that Banter Page was closed due to copyright issues regarding content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I had never even heard of it. I can't imagine OTB actually paid any significant amount of money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I do hear the name mentioned on the sports slots a lot, "from offtheball.ie" on both newstalk & todayfm, have they become all independent of the stations??

• Advertisement
Advertisement