Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Esports/gaming bar/pub

Options
  • 16-02-2018 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I was just wondering is there a place like esports/gaming pub/bar here in Ireland?

I have been googling for a while now and can't find anything like that. I have been in few other countries where they have such thing and it is awesome craic for the people like minded.

Does anyone know any place like that anywhere in Ireland?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hez

Rob2D wrote: »

I meant more of a PC gaming or even console?

By esports, I had in mind something like CS:GO, Dota, LoL, PUBG etc.

There are some esport bars/pubs which are streaming esports, organizing events etc.

meltdown.bar (I'm new user, can't post links apparently) was more like what I had in mind.

Is there anything like that around in Ireland?

Hez wrote: »
    I meant more of a PC gaming or even console?

By esports, I had in mind something like CS:GO, Dota, LoL, PUBG etc.

There are some esport bars/pubs which are streaming esports, organizing events etc.

meltdown.bar (I'm new user, can't post links apparently) was more like what I had in mind.

Is there anything like that around in Ireland?

Well the FGC guys run events all the time. Mostly in pubs for the weekly stuff.

I've never heard of a pub strictly for that purpose though. There'd be no call for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Well the FGC guys run events all the time. Mostly in pubs for the weekly stuff.

I've never heard of a pub strictly for that purpose though. There'd be no call for it.

Yeah same for sports bars, people grouping up to drink and watch sports.. Who does that?! :rolleyes::pac:

nix wrote: »
    Yeah same for sports bars, people grouping up to drink and watch sports.. Who does that?! :rolleyes::pac:

Esports ≠ Sports

You'd never get the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Really don't think Ireland would have a strong or consistent enough market here to stay open for very long.

Hm.. I see some negativity here regarding esports.

Im just wondering, why do ye think there would be no numbers? The whole Europe is into esports and every year its getting bigger and bigger.

Not sure why Ireland is different. But I guess a lot of things here are different. Other countries like Germany, France, Sweden etc. are promoting esports more and more while Ireland is staying behind?

For some reason I really do think that this kind of bar/pub would attract a lot of gamers..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Esports ≠ Sports

You'd never get the numbers.

Well yeah in Ireland, I agree. Your post came off as more generic though, as in why would want a place like that.. :pac:

Im just wondering, why do ye think there would be no numbers? The whole Europe is into esports and every year its getting bigger and bigger.

Not sure why Ireland is different. But I guess a lot of things here are different. Other countries like Germany, France, Sweden etc. are promoting esports more and more while Ireland is staying behind?

For some reason I really do think that this kind of bar/pub would attract a lot of gamers..

Population is far less than other european countries, I'd give it another 10 years and you might see a place like that in Ireland.

Our population is considerably smaller than our European counterparts.

For example the city of Paris has a population of over 2 million, but if you include the suburbs it brings it up near 10 million.

The same can be said for London, Berlin, Barcelona.

Dublin by comparison has maybe 1 million if you include the entire county.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Esports are miniscule compared to traditional sports. It's getting bigger but it's still tiny.

And when you think about it, people really only gather in the pub to watch the major sports.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Esports are miniscule compared to traditional sports. It's getting bigger but it's still tiny.

And when you think about it, people really only gather in the pub to watch the major sports.

So here in Ireland, gamers who loves watching esports, wouldnt go to a pub/bar to watch some matches with the people who has the same mindset? Have few drinks, chat about anything, have fun etc.?

So here in Ireland, gamers who loves watching esports, wouldnt go to a pub/bar to watch some matches with the people who has the same mindset? Have few drinks, chat about anything, have fun etc.?

Of course they would, but the community is nowhere near big enough to maintain the business.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There was a place in Cork that used to show the big events cause the big Blizzard offices that are in Cork organised it. But simply put, there is no market for it in Ireland, not in the strength of numbers you'd need for a viable and successful business (and remember that pubs generally are kinda in crisis in Ireland because of rising expenses and an attitudinal shift away from the pub as an entertainment form).

I can only imagine the looks you'd get if you walked into a bar in Ireland saying "can you fire up the SC2 stream on Twitch, please?" cause they might have Sky, but you can be sure most of them don't have an internet connection to their screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Almost no market for it in Ireland and a lot of the people who would watch wouldn't be of drinking age potentially as well.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How many esports events are there in a week that people would care enough about to go and spend money in a pub to watch?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I remember when I used to play a bit online. The team were all over the place. Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Galway, Sligo, Dublin, and me in Kildare. To pick a spot in the middle, you'd have to go to Tullamore, and half of them wouldn't be bothered meeting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I believe The Woolshed in Dublin has been used a couple of times. The Fighting Game Community here also took over the XGC one time for Evo, which ran into the early hours of the morning (not a pub though). And there have been DotA 2 gatherings - I was at one once, but can't remember where it was on.

No dedicated pub, but if you rent the room and can gather a crowd I'm sure many places would have you. Where you run into difficulties is when the events will run into the wee hours and the pub/venue is going to close up.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

nix wrote: »

Even the two dedicated sports bar there were in Dublin didn't last, let alone e-sports.
    The Woolshed and the Living Room sort of filled the gap, but neither is great and they both still rely on a lot of non-sport related business.

There just isn't a big enough market for a dedicated e-sports bar. But there's be nothing stopping someone from renting a pub function room on a regular basis and streaming stuff there themselves. Might be worth a look if you think there's enough interest

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I believe The Woolshed in Dublin has been used a couple of times. The Fighting Game Community here also took over the XGC one time for Evo, which ran into the early hours of the morning (not a pub though).

We took over the XGC 5-6 years in a row actually; 2017 was the first year where we couldn't (since XGC was winding down their gaming business).

I think we ran 3-4 events in The Woolshed over the years.

These days, it's all about Celtic Throwdown; CT2017 had big names in attendance (including the legendary Daigo Umehara).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Photek1976

I'd love to go to a pub to play games to be honest, tournaments and stuff. My best mate runs a board game night once a month down in Wicklow, I've not been but he said its great fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement