Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PPSN fraud- employer- social welfare

• 17-02-2018 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,

My name is Marcus, I'm half Spanish and half Irish, I've been living with my relatives in Ireland for a month.I was looking for a job for several weeks until I found a job which I worked for 4-5 days training . A week before I begun working I apply for a appointment with social welfare to apply for the ppsn, there wasn't a date available until a week later so I begun working until that date, the employer verbally agreed to write me a letter to take it for that appointment, so the day that I had my appointment, earlier in the morning he gave me the letter and only and hour before the appointment he said that he couldn't gave me the letter because I wasn't suitable for the job and after that he said that he would pay me for the days I worked with him in cash(he didn't pay me)/ so without is concern I took the letter and I sent it to SW to apply for the ppsn, the reason was obvious, now the employer called me and apparently he/went to the garda and complaint to me for suspicious of "fraud", sorry for my English guys as I do not have a fluent English yet, I do not know how social security works here but in Spain a employe cannot work without a social security number.

As you could read I don't have ppsn,not in social welfare etc,etc

Thanks,

Marcus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

You can work without a ppsn. So get your facts right. It would have saved you a lot of trouble.

If he gave you the letter, it was not fraudulent for you to use it to get an earlier appointment. he didn't contact the guards.

It is illegal for him to pay you cash.

It is also illegal for him not to pay you.

If i were you, I'd wait to receive my ppsn.

Then write him a letter advising him you want payment for the hours, include your ppsn in the letter, and ask for your P45. Send the letter by registered post and take a copy.

If he refuses to pay you or provide a p45 post here again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Great story. Not sure what the point is though?

tedpan wrote: »
    Great story. Not sure what the point is though?

He's been told he was reported to the gardai for fraud and he didn't get paid his wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Maximus47

Letter from prospective employer and proof of address and proof of identity such as letter or document from Spanish revenue would suffice to get him an Irish PPSN.
    Employer was silly to go to Gardai as he has now placed himself in a difficult position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MarcusHC

Tenigate wrote: »
    You can work without a ppsn. So get your facts right. It would have saved you a lot of trouble.

If he gave you the letter, it was not fraudulent for you to use it to get an earlier appointment. he didn't contact the guards.

It is also illegal for him not to pay you.

If i were you, I'd wait to receive my ppsn.

Then write him a letter advising him you want payment for the hours, include your ppsn in the letter, and ask for your P45. Send the letter by registered post and take a copy.

If he refuses to pay you or provide a p45 post here again.
    Hi there, I didn't know I could work without ppsn, he gave me the letter and I left it in the ban, then an hour before the appointment, he said that I couldn't give you the letter because you wasn't suitable for the job(I took the letter without is concern) and that he would pay me in cash the days I worked with him,but he didn't, also he wanted to pay me in cash for a few weeks training(3-4 days a week).I remeber the first day I meet the employer he though that I was under social welfare payment, and I remeber now he told me that he doesn't wanted social welfare to know that Im working with him so I Told him that I didn't have ppsn or payment.Do not know if my ppsn application will be through, maybe it will be denied with all this.Its all strange for me and I fell I little bit down.

Thank you for the information.

Marcus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

MarcusHC wrote: »
    Hi there, I didn't know I could work without ppsn, he gave me the letter and I left it in the ban, then an hour before the appointment, he said that I couldn't give you the letter because you wasn't suitable for the job(I took the letter without is concern) and that he would pay me in cash the days I worked with him,but he didn't, also he wanted to pay me in cash for a few weeks training(3-4 days a week).I remeber the first day I meet the employer he though that I was under social welfare payment, and I remeber now he told me that he doesn't wanted social welfare to know that Im working with him so I Told him that I didn't have ppsn or payment.Do not know if my ppsn application will be through, maybe it will be denied with all this.Its all strange for me and I fell I little bit down.

Thank you for the information.

Marcus

If you have applied for the PPSN go back to the centre tomorrow and see if it is available. Take note of it and wait for the official letter to be posted out to you.
    Sounds like he has caught himself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Butterfly182

Maximus47 wrote: »
    Letter from prospective employer and proof of address and proof of identity such as letter or document from Spanish revenue would suffice to get him an Irish PPSN.
    Employer was silly to go to Gardai as he has now placed himself in a difficult position.

Most of this quote is correct except proof of identity would have to be his valid passport/ national identity card.

Saysay19 wrote: »
    If you have applied for the PPSN go back to the centre tomorrow and see if it is available. Take note of it and wait for the official letter to be posted out to you.
    Sounds like he has caught himself out.

If his PPSN was ordered and he was told he would have to wait 7-10 working days for it to come out as a letter in the post the centre may not give him the PPSN verbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Really?

VeVeX wrote: »
    Really?

Yah really.

I'm referring to cash in hand, ie without tax deductions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Yah really.

I'm referring to cash in hand, ie without tax deductions.

So its not illegal to be paid cash?

VeVeX wrote: »
    So its not illegal to be paid cash?

Its? Don't you mean "it's"?

Thought you'd appreciate the pedantry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

If his PPSN was ordered and he was told he would have to wait 7-10 working days for it to come out as a letter in the post the centre may not give him the PPSN verbally.

They can if he produces ID. The PPSN can take from 24 hours to be generated on the system

Saysay19 wrote: »
    They can if he produces ID. The PPSN can take from 24 hours to be generated on the system

I am aware about what you can get off the system. What I am saying is that as part of registering for a PPSN the PPSN number goes out by post as part of the identity verification process. Different offices may have different policies. The customer would be best to inquire with whatever office he applied for a PPSN about what their policy is on giving out PPSN numbers before the letter issues either that or just wait for it to come out in the post.

Advertisement