Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apprentices power tools

Options
  • 18-02-2018 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi Guys just wondering I have apprentices working for me I have provided these apprentices with basic tools just should they provide themselves with cordless drills as we are using them constantly.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Rc3 wrote: »
    Hi Guys just wondering I have apprentices working for me I have provided these apprentices with basic tools just should they provide themselves with cordless drills as we are using them constantly.

Generally that is not the way it works. Normally apprentices are only expected to provide their own hand tools (not power tools). Back when I was an apprentice there was an official tool list, I don’t know if there still is. At the time we were paid a weekly “tool allowance”. However having worked in the “electrical game” for many companies for not far off 30 years I have never heard of an apprentice having to provide any power tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Couchpotato82

If you feel power tools will benefit your business but them for the business.
    You’ll own them, not the apprentices.

If the apprentice wants to buy his own gear and use them for work as well as foxers, you could buy them for him and claim the VAT.

I wouldn’t expect one of my apprentices to supply their own power tools.
    If you’re using them constantly buy them yourself and it’ll improve productivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’m with 2011 on that, usually apprentices supply their own hand tools but any power tools are the company’s. Might be different with some trades though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lodger81

I previously worked in the retail end of tools and have never known an apprentice to supply their own power tools. Like mentioned an apprentice would supply their own hand tools and where a power tool would be required this would be supplied by the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I think it depends on the time frame. starting out no just hand tools but down the line any decent apprentice should be starting to build their tool collection. its only a cordless drill not a wall chaser or chipping hammer. probably only 200 euro.
    a drill is a basic tool for any tradesman . even a painter needs one so for a spark its a must
    he should be lucky 500 would buy more than enough hand tools to get fully set up. other trades are 10 time that
    if the apprentice isn't willing to invest then they are not in it for the long haul.

if its a question of disposable money then maybe a loan would work where you take 20 back every week .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Ajsoprano

Drills are usually provided by the company. Drill bits and anything disposable.
    Hand tools are usually bought by the employee.
    This has been the way it’s always been for me of been on sites a couple of decades with a good few different companies and it’s the same through most trades.
    I bring in my own screw gun but that’s just so I don’t have to go waiting on the site ones.
    You could buy the drills and ask does the lad want to pay you 50 quid a week for it but sooner or later he will get pissed off with everyone borrowing it or using the battery and not charging it and stop bringing it in.

Advertisement