Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Europe International Championships

• 18-02-2018 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Anyone here watch any of this? All matches are available at dailymotion.com/rugbyeurope (similar to YouTube so all legal and above board). Spain are looking like creating a major shock for that level at the moment as they're comfortably ahead in Madrid, and deservedly so, against Romania. If you're prepared that the rugby obviously won't be at Six Nations standard it's entertaining stuff as most teams seem to want to run with ball in hand (though this match is a little more forward dominated - still some bright play from the Spaniards though).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Are there any links to it? Wouldn't mind having a look

Never mind I found it. Looks a great crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Are there any links to it? Wouldn't mind having a look

http://www.dailymotion.com/rugbyeurope

Spain just gone sixteen up with about twenty to go. Spanish commentators are going nuts.

These two would be likely where the last member of Ireland's World Cup group will come from I think

These two would be likely where the last member of Ireland's World Cup group will come from I think

Romania have been incredibly wasteful though Spain have shown some good play in fairness
    A good few of their players seem to be very very fast.

I didn't realise there aren't any commentators on the Daily Motion stream. I'm watching it on Spanish TV and they're very excited. It'd be only the third time Spain have beaten Romania in 36 matches.

• Advertisement

Fantastic to see how much it means to them. In the bigger rugby countries like we're from we don't often recognise how important the sport is for the minorities who follow it in countries like Spain. Massive pitch invasion now.

Stadium holds 12,400. Looked pretty full which is a great crowd for the level (though Georgia frequently pull in more than 50,000 for their matches against Russia). The second Spanish try was a complete mess up by the Romanian forward on the line who kicked it away from his own hands leaving an easy tap down for Spain. That said Spain thoroughly deserved the win.

How does qualification work? A Spanish player was interviewed afterwards and was talking about world cup qualification but my ability to speak Italian only allows me to get the idea of what Spanish people are talking about and not the details. Are they qualified following this win?

Mun understanding of it is that the winner of the competition qualifies as Europes representative for the World Cup

Mun understanding of it is that the winner of the competition qualifies as Europes representative for the World Cup

So as Georgia have already qualified it'll go to second place if they, as is now likely, win it.

• Advertisement

FCIM wrote: »
    So as Georgia have already qualified it'll go to second place if they, as is now likely, win it.

Yeah that's it

Yeah that's it

Having beaten Russia and Romania you'd have to think Spain have a very strong chance. Georgia host both Spain and Romania so you'd have to think they'll win those and then it's a shootout for the runners up spot which Spain have to have an advantage in now. Be a strange World Cup not to see Romania there as one of the tier 2 nations but Spain have only qualified once before so that would be a novelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Anyone here watch any of this? All matches are available at dailymotion.com/rugbyeurope (similar to YouTube so all legal and above board). Spain are looking like creating a major shock for that level at the moment as they're comfortably ahead in Madrid, and deservedly so, against Romania. If you're prepared that the rugby obviously won't be at Six Nations standard it's entertaining stuff as most teams seem to want to run with ball in hand (though this match is a little more forward dominated - still some bright play from the Spaniards though).
    Spanish have been improving and getting closer to Romanians in past few years.
    How does qualification work? A Spanish player was interviewed afterwards and was talking about world cup qualification but my ability to speak Italian only allows me to get the idea of what Spanish people are talking about and not the details. Are they qualified following this win?
    2nd qualifys as european 1. Georgia already have qualified.
    Having beaten Russia and Romania you'd have to think Spain have a very strong chance. Georgia host both Spain and Romania so you'd have to think they'll win those and then it's a shootout for the runners up spot which Spain have to have an advantage in now. Be a strange World Cup not to see Romania there as one of the tier 2 nations but Spain have only qualified once before so that would be a novelty.
    Would be good to see Spanish back in world cup. Having been to spain with a rugby team. The standard amongst teams there is quite high but numbers playing arent very high...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Jaysus I see Estonia got absolutely battered by Luxembourg. I think i'll head to their home games. Most of the team drink in a bar I frequent in Tallinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

chupacabra wrote: »
    Most of the team drink in a bar I frequent in Tallinn.

Maybe that's their issue :)

As for the winners, I know nothing of rugby in Luxembourg, are they all expats or what's the deal?

My dream of rocking up and getting a German cap ( German mother and passport so have legit claim ) are on gold as I believe they have a load of British lads playing that are of a higher standard to me . Bloody foreigners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Elirlandes

Spain are in the driving seat now. With Georgia already qualified, the best in the Rugby Europe International Championship top division not including Georgia go through.

This has been coming. Last year, Spain beat Russia at home and held Romania close at home. These are the best 3 teams after Georgia in the league.

After last year, the Spanish Federation made a change in selection policy, looking to Spain Qualified players in France (grandfather/parent rule). This was controversial in Spain, but is reaping big benefits as 10 to 12 players on the side are now either in Top14 clubs (but not 1st team players) or are 1st team players in D2.

In the Autumn Internationals, our club (Rugby Club Málaga) organised the Spain/Uruguay game in Málaga with 13,000+ spectators - Spain won 33-16.

Spain beat Russia away last week in Krasnoyarsk - Irish refs by the way, and Russia captained by Blackrock old boy Vasily Artemyev. The match against Romania was the big one though. In something like 35 matches, Spain has only beaten Romania twice before, and only once in living memory.

With this win, Spain is 2 points ahead of Romania with only Germany and Belgium to beat. This means that Romania has to hope Spain scores no bonus points, and Romania gets bonus points from the remaining fixtures.

Given Germany have suffered a huge drop in form from last year where they beat Romania, to this year where they lost 85-6 (dunno why), and Belgium aren't any better, it is very very very unlikely that Spain will not do the business by beating both with bonus points. Bonus points in this competition are different - you have to score 3 more tries than your opponents, it is not a 4 try bonus point.

So - Spain can pretty much buy their tickets to Japan already, and it looks like I am going to have to do so as well as my to Spanish/Irish sons want to see the Ireland : Spain match live. Spain will be in our group. They may even have a chance to win a game as there will be another weak side there - the Repechage winner.

This weekends games: Georgia v Spain, Romania v Russia, Belgium v Germany

Its 1st v 2nd, 4th v 3rd, 5th v 6th this weekend.

Georgia 23 Spain 10
    Romania 25 Russia 15
    Belgium 69 Germany 15

Georgia lead on 14 points, Romania up to second on 9, Spain 8, Russia 6, Belgium 5 and Germany 0

Next week its Romania v Belgium, Spain v Germany and Russia v Georgia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,598 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I haven't really being following this. Have Romania played their last game as of yesterday?

Only table I see is on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Rugby_World_Cup_%E2%80%93_Europe_qualification

Don't see any on official site for some reason: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/qualifying/europe/fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Eod100 wrote: »
    I haven't really being following this. Have Romania played their last game as of yesterday?

Only table I see is on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Rugby_World_Cup_%E2%80%93_Europe_qualification

Don't see any on official site for some reason: https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/qualifying/europe/fixtures

As far as I know they exclude matches against Georgia for qualification purposes. Maybe Romania play Georgia in the next round so their table is run as far as qualifying goes.

EDIT: Georgia v Romania is next for them. Table is here: https://www.flashscores.co.uk/standings/lbOgC6zb/2cIlfozr/#table;overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,598 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I think that's it! Spain hammered Germany today too so looking like they could be in our pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Anyone tune in today? Spain lost to Belgium 18-10 and blew their best chance of getting to the WRC. Some very suspect decisions from the Romanian officials in charge, especially as it is Romania who now qualify instead of Spain.

The referee was followed off the field by the Spanish players as the stream ended and looked very concerned for his own safety. I don't blame him as I genuinely thought one of the Spanish players was about to deck him at one point.

Very poor form from World Rugby having Romanian officials for this game, there was always going to be the opportunity for a stitch up in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Alain Roland has had a very bad week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Spain can still qualify for the RWC but will need to beat Portugal and then better Samoa home and away. Thats probably too much of an ask.

Anyone tune in today? Spain lost to Belgium 18-10 and blew their best chance of getting to the WRC. Some very suspect decisions from the Romanian officials in charge, especially as it is Romania who now qualify instead of Spain.

The referee was followed off the field by the Spanish players as the stream ended and looked very concerned for his own safety. I don't blame him as I genuinely thought one of the Spanish players was about to deck him at one point.

Very poor form from World Rugby having Romanian officials for this game, there was always going to be the opportunity for a stitch up in the circumstances.

Scandalous really. I remember thinking it was massively dodgy in 2011 when Alain Rolland, Irish by birth but with a French father, refereed our semi final with France. Sam Warburton may have been justly or unjustly sent off, ask a Welshman and they'll tell you he shouldn't have been, ask a Frenchman and I'm sure they would say the opposite, but the fact it was a debatable decision and what is effectively a Frenchman took the decision to send him off means Monsieur Rolland will never be popular in Wales.
    Spain can still qualify for the RWC but will need to beat Portugal and then better Samoa home and away. Thats probably too much of an ask.

The first part of that they'll accomplish, the second part I can't see them having a chance tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I think that's that for them now, Samoa should be too strong, they ran Scotland close in November. Hopefully Vlad Iordăchescu makes it back to Bucharest in one piece, his Wikipedia page is getting some treatment from the Spanish supporters.

I think that's that for them now, Samoa should be too strong, they ran Scotland close in November. Hopefully Vlad Iordăchescu makes it back to Bucharest in one piece, his Wikipedia page is getting some treatment from the Spanish supporters.

4i223o.jpg

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Think they get another chance if they lose to Samoa in a tournament involving Canada

P_1 wrote: »
    Think they get another chance if they lose to Samoa in a tournament involving Canada
    Yep and an african side as well as Tahiti/Asian side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Even after that though, they'll go into repechage with Canada, runner up of African qualification and an one of Hong Kong, South Korea, Malaysia or Tahiti (assume Hong Kong here). They'd have a very good chance of getting out of that, probably be between them and Canada.

Advertisement