Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notifying revenue of a new job whilst still officially listed with old company

Options
  • 18-02-2018 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

So I recently left my old job, I didn't give any real notice as this just wasn't possible. It was only a part time role and I was looking for a fulltime position closer to home for a while . Anyway a chance came my way and I seized it with both hands, done a week's trial and passed , new boss wants me to join company officially asap.

I have a revenue on line account but when I try to register my new employment it tells me that as I am still officially registered with my old company on their systems that my tax credits will not be transferred over until the old company informs them that I have left, basically a P45.

I have read that they can legally take up to 6 weeks about doing this and to be honest I can't see them being very rushed to help me out.

Given these circumstances what should I do? I know I can notify the tax office myself but apparently they will count my new job as a 2nd income and tax me accordingly ..probably emergency basis..which would be crap.

Is there a way around this? I think it should be a legal requirement to have your P45 on the next payroll date but that's not the case sadly.

Any suggestions?

Comments

youtube! wrote: »
    So I recently left my old job, I didn't give any real notice as this just wasn't possible. It was only a part time role and I was looking for a fulltime position closer to home for a while . Anyway a chance came my way and I seized it with both hands, done a week's trial and passed , new boss wants me to join company officially asap.

I have a revenue on line account but when I try to register my new employment it tells me that as I am still officially registered with my old company on their systems that my tax credits will not be transferred over until the old company informs them that I have left, basically a P45.

I have read that they can legally take up to 6 weeks about doing this and to be honest I can't see them being very rushed to help me out.

Given these circumstances what should I do? I know I can notify the tax office myself but apparently they will count my new job as a 2nd income and tax me accordingly ..probably emergency basis..which would be crap.

Is there a way around this? I think it should be a legal requirement to have your P45 on the next payroll date but that's not the case sadly.

Any suggestions?

Ring revenue and give them your new employers details, they’ll be able to sort it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Thanks Maryanne and hopefully it will be a simple process , I never even thought to ring them!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

youtube! wrote: »
    Thanks Maryanne and hopefully it will be a simple process , I never even thought to ring them!

You need to get your p45 or have it sent to revenue

Without it revenue have no way of confirming you no longer work for your old company

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

If revenue will only recognise it as an additional job til the p/t one officially removes you from their books, you can have your tax credits transferred over to your new employer. That way it will be your old job that the higher rate of tax will be applied to but as you won’t have any income from them, it won’t matter.

Advertisement