Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you rent from a parent on the hap scheme?

Options
  • 18-02-2018 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Hi, just as the title says, can you rent from a parent on the hap scheme? The house has not beenbrented before as it was tied up in legal red tape. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No, you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

I was told you can. I know someone on HAP and her brother owns it. My dad owns a house and we were told we could go on hap that is donegal council

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

loca1 wrote: »
    I was told you can. I know someone on HAP and her brother owns it. My dad owns a house and we were told we could go on hap that is donegal council

I really hope you can't. I accept a lot of abuse is going on, but I feel insulted thinking I'm paying for someones kid to rent off their parent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I really hope you can't. I accept a lot of abuse is going on, but I feel insulted thinking I'm paying for someones kid to rent off their parent.

Its specifically against Department rules- which most certainly have been conveyed to all local authorities. If this was picked up in the media- heads would roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

The RAS scheme did not allow it. I was told it is allowed on HAP however I have not applied so I cannot say 100% that is it true as I find staff dont always know what is going on but definitely know someone renting from her brother and getting help with it. Maybe with the housing crisis they have no option but to accept it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭enricoh

loca1 wrote: »

Words fail me! No wonder we have a social welfare bill of 20 billion +.
    The country will go wallop again n the keys should be given to the imf permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lorcand1990

According to Citizens Info you can't:

'You cannot get Rent Supplement to help you pay rent to your parent if you are living in the family home. If your parent owns a second property, you will generally not get Rent Supplement for this property unless you can prove that you are a genuine (bona fide) tenant.'

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

According to Citizens Info you can't:

'You cannot get Rent Supplement to help you pay rent to your parent if you are living in the family home. If your parent owns a second property, you will generally not get Rent Supplement for this property unless you can prove that you are a genuine (bona fide) tenant.'

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Or the third option we all know - go to papers, get kids to make sad faces and get sorted.

Seriously we're now paying for someone to live in their ma's house ??? Jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lorcand1990

Or the third option we all know - go to papers, get kids to make sad faces and get sorted.

Seriously we're now paying for someone to live in their ma's house ??? Jesus wept!

Oh I completely agree with you, no way should someone be able to get money for living in their parents house & try to pass it off as 'renting'.. was just answering the OP question :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

I wonder OP if your parents were to get an agency to manage the lease and property would it be a way around it. Have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I know one person renting off her mother and getting HAP. And she was living in the house for free for a couple of years before she applied for HAP. While I'm sure it's not allowed, I doubt they do cross-checks - the person I'm thinking of is in her 40s so (on paper) has not been dependent on her mother for a long time; as far as the council are concerned it's just a normal private rental agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

It's not for living in their house with them! My mother is joint owner of a second property which she is unsure of letting out to a stranger. She would be happy for me to pay a small summout of my own pocket to rent it but the co-owner wants a higher rent. So I'm asking the question here. I work hard and I'm not a sponger.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mick ah

I know one person renting off her mother and getting HAP. And she was living in the house for free for a couple of years before she applied for HAP. While I'm sure it's not allowed, I doubt they do cross-checks - the person I'm thinking of is in her 40s so (on paper) has not been dependent on her mother for a long time; as far as the council are concerned it's just a normal private rental agreement.

If one had any sense of civic duty one would report abuses of the kind outlined above.

I'd say I'm surprised, but being a "cute hoor" is celebrated in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Snugglebunnies

Why is it being a cute hoor? The parent probably can't afford to be letting a house for free to anyone. If it wasn't the adult child renting it with hap it would be someone else and the daughter would be paying with hap to a different landlord. I don't see the difference. Why should a parent be expected to rent for free just because it's their own child?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Why should a parent be expected to rent for free just because it's their own child?

Why should we the tax paying public pay a person to house their own adult child?

I see what your point is, but in reality, if that lady rented to her daughter rent free, then the HAP payment wouldnt be required at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Why is it being a cute hoor? The parent probably can't afford to be letting a house for free to anyone. If it wasn't the adult child renting it with hap it would be someone else and the daughter would be paying with hap to a different landlord. I don't see the difference. Why should a parent be expected to rent for free just because it's their own child?
    Why should the state and tax payer be expected to step in and not only provide an almost free accommodation but actually profit their family for the privilege of housing their own family .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The parent may rent them out the holiday house. While they continue to live at the parents main house

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

It's not for living in their house with them! My mother is joint owner of a second property which she is unsure of letting out to a stranger. She would be happy for me to pay a small summout of my own pocket to rent it but the co-owner wants a higher rent. So I'm asking the question here. I work hard and I'm not a sponger.

It's not the taxpayer's fault that your mother is too squeamish to let a house out to a stranger, ie, be a landlord. Either she toughens up or the co-owner agrees to lower the rent. The solution here is not to screw the social welfare system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

bleary wrote: »
    Why should the state and tax payer be expected to step in and not only provide an almost free accommodation but actually profit their family for the privilege of housing their own family .

+1 for this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

To qualify for HAP you have to be on the local authority housing list. To get on that you have to pass a means test. So the chances of some young fella just being allowed to move out of mammy's house into mammy's other house wouldn't be too good.

I can't see it written anywhere where renting to a family member is prohibited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Because there is no expectation that parents should continue to house their children - for free or any other way - once those children reach adulthood (defined legally as being 18 years).

There is no difference between HAP being used to pay rent in a house that your mammy owns, vs a house that her best friend, manager at work, cousin or a stranger down the street owns. None of them are expected to house you for free, so why should a parent?

Obviously things are different if the house is the one the parent is living in: they won't be forgoing rental income if they let their kids live there. But another house they also own is just that, another house.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mick ah

Because there is no expectation that parents should continue to house their children - for free or any other way - once those children reach adulthood (defined legally as being 18 years).

There is no difference between HAP being used to pay rent in a house that your mammy owns, vs a house that her best friend, manager at work, cousin or a stranger down the street owns. None of them are expected to house you for free, so why should a parent?

Obviously things are different if the house is the one the parent is living in: they won't be forgoing rental income if they let their kids live there. But another house they also own is just that, another house.

Do you think it's fair that the state (via the tax payer) gives money to someone to house their own child in their SECOND home?

Personally I wouldn't mind reduced taxes so that I could more easily afford rent, instead of having to use my after tax money to compete with the genuine users of state assistance (whom I am happy to support) as well as chancers who want the state to pay the mortgage on their investment while their child lives in it.

Advertisement