boards.ie Mobile
Page 276 of 276
« First < 176226266274275276
Golf>Rory McIlroy
davo10 13:53 13-02-2018
Originally Posted by bren2001:

McIlroy is one of the best players in the world. He has the ability to win any week, he just needs a few things to come together for him. He can put himself into contention at any major if he putts well. His career may well have peaked but that does not mean he cannot win 1/2 or a few more majors. He's 28 and should be entering his best few years.
He is one of the best players in the world, certainly in the top 10, but what makes you think that after 10 years on tour, his putting is going to improve now? It's not a lack of practice. Also, his chipping is not what you would expect from one of the best players in the world, stats don't lie.

If all courses had five par 5's and 500 yard par 4s, he'd probably win regularly, but chipping/putting is what matters in most tournaments.
[Quote] [Thank]
Russman 13:56 13-02-2018
Originally Posted by davo10:
You're right. If anything your post illustrates how open majors now are, that the days of predicting the winner will come from a handful of players, have gone. With more players at the level of competing for every major, the wand often separates the winner from the pack, and no one can claim that McIllroy is a maestro with the wand. I can't see him having 3 out of four good putting days, usually that's what you need to win. He can be good one day, but awful the next.
I think that's the key, he's streaky with the putter and probably always will be. If he has a good putting week he usually wins, unless its somewhere like a long, wet, Congressional where he "ball-struck" the field into submission.
[Quote] [Thank]
Russman 14:12 13-02-2018
He is one of the best players in the world, certainly in the top 10, but what makes you think that after 10 years on tour, his putting is going to improve now? It's not a lack of practice. Also, his chipping is not what you would expect from one of the best players in the world, stats don't lie.

If all courses had five par 5's and 500 yard par 4s, he'd probably win regularly, but chipping/putting is what matters in most tournaments.
I think there's some argument on that point nowadays though.
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/dri...s-mark-broadie
I don't necessarily agree with it, but food for thought at the same time.

Actually, I think Rory's chipping is up there with the very best, but hey, its all fun speculation !
[Quote] [Thank]
bren2001 14:16 13-02-2018

His putting doesn't need to improve to win a major, he's a bad putter and always will be but he has good weeks. The big advantage himself and DJ etc have is what they give themselves more Birdie/Eagle opportunities than the average golfer or Spieth. If he has a good putting week for him, he has every chance of winning a major.

What are his stats for chipping? I wouldnt have classified him as bad at chipping, I think he is good just not excellent. He was brilliant last year at Augusta. His GIR stats are pretty excellent. Chipping and putting is not what matters most in tournaments, that's a very simplistic viewpoint. Some courses are suited that way, others are not.

Rory can win any week just like the other players around the Top 10 in the world. Its bizarre to rule him out and say players like Rose will be more competitive moving forward.
[Quote] [Thank]
davo10 15:04 13-02-2018
His putting doesn't need to improve to win a major, he's a bad putter and always will be but he has good weeks. The big advantage himself and DJ etc have is what they give themselves more Birdie/Eagle opportunities than the average golfer or Spieth. If he has a good putting week for him, he has every chance of winning a major.

What are his stats for chipping? I wouldnt have classified him as bad at chipping, I think he is good just not excellent. He was brilliant last year at Augusta. His GIR stats are pretty excellent. Chipping and putting is not what matters most in tournaments, that's a very simplistic viewpoint. Some courses are suited that way, others are not.

Rory can win any week just like the other players around the Top 10 in the world. Its bizarre to rule him out and say players like Rose will be more competitive moving forward.
Now the first line of your post is bizarre, it goes against pretty much every expert/journo/pro I've heard talk/write about the topic. Pretty much unanimous consensus is that his putting has let him down when he has been in contention for many tournaments, not just majors.

I certainly wouldn't rule him out, predictions are often bizarre because they are subjective and subject to variables. If the best always won, there would be no competition. Time will tell if the others catch up or whether McIllroy will have the career early predictions suggested he was destined to have. It will of course depend on a number of variables, not least of which is his fortunes on the greens of major tournaments.
[Quote] [Thank]
lawred2 15:08 13-02-2018
Originally Posted by ForeRight:
He had a 7 yesterday on the 1st hole par 4.
He had 120yds to the pin after his tee shot sitting in the fairway.

I don't think I've seen a 28 handicapper do that.

Disgraceful play
lol

really?

edit: gah I see the date of the OP being 2013
[Quote] [Thank]
kiers47 16:02 13-02-2018 (1 Thanks)
Chipping and putting is not what matters most in tournaments, that's a very simplistic viewpoint. Some courses are suited that way, others are not.
I would be pretty confident if you looked at strokes gained putting week in week out that the leaders of these stats are up there contending and quite often win.

Player ability/skill at the top is so close that it more often than not comes down to whoever putts the best or gets the lucky breaks on the greens will win or at least contend.

*Obviously like any of these stats it is not true 100% of the time. But on average with a big sample size i would guess that it is the single most important stat to highlighting what a winner did well to win.(Also you can include the players who contended)
[Quote] [Thank]
martinkop 16:23 13-02-2018 (1 Thanks)
Interesting reading here: http://datagolf.ca/which-is-more-imp...ball-striking/

Looks good for Rory and probably explains his career to date.
[Quote] [Thank]
prawnsambo 21:03 13-02-2018
Originally Posted by martinkop:
Interesting reading here: http://datagolf.ca/which-is-more-imp...ball-striking/

Looks good for Rory and probably explains his career to date.
Very interesting. I remember looking at Rory's stats on the PGA and the years he's done best, his average strokes gained putting has been between 0 and -1. I seem to recall -0.7 one year.
[Quote] [Thank]
Jawgap 21:44 17-02-2018 (2 Thanks)
Christ...... if I wanted the ball to go that far I'd have to buy it a bus ticket.......

https://twitter.com/pgatour/status/964955135435710464
[Quote] [Thank]
ForeRight 10:39 Yesterday
Great read in the Sunday indo this morning. Kim she interview with Rory and Padraig.
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 276 of 276
« First < 176226266274275276

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet