Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

tired...

Monday - easy 5 miles home

Tuesday - 5 back into work
    then in the evening I went up to join the club session, but OH had the car so I had to run up - 6/7k there through Tymon (stepping on a bit of wood and twisting my ankle on the way).
    Session was 3 x (1k @ MP, 1k @ HMP, 1k @ 10k), with two minutes recovery. I was the only one in the front group with a watch so had to use it, and abandon plans to take it a bit easier after the weekend. Hard to get it right anyway on the loop we used, which was a drag uphill and into the wind for the first half and a faster second half. Paces were still a bit slow but I wasn't bothered - (4:08, 3:55, 3:52), (4:06, 3:58, 3:45), (4:05, 3:55, 3:43)
    Followed by a tired run home - with a diversion to the shop at the end for a Coke :)

Wednesday - 5 miles at lunch. Supposed to be very easy but running with a workmate, so not quite...
    5 miles home, easier

Thursday - 5 miles into work
    5 home again, with a few strides at the end to wake up my legs

Friday - 5 into work again

I had planned on doing some longer runs this week, not just 5 everywhere. But I was tired most of the week, decided recovery was more important.

Saturday - 9k tempo in Marlay. First time on 9k, so took it a little easier, 3:51 pace in the end. Will pick it up a bit over the next two weeks.
    30 minute recovery in the afternoon

Sunday - 31k long run. Ran up to Knocklyon, then did an hour with D and theboyblunder (recovery for him after long run yesterday). Met up with a couple more clubmates and headed towards the reservoir, before D and I turned back and threw in a few MPish ks. I was hanging off the back of him for the ten minutes we ran. Back down to easy for a while, though the pace crept up again as we turned for home - at that stage I was falling forward, bargaining with myself over the route to take and which shop I could stop at to buy a bottle of coke :pac:
    Then somehow found myself a couple of hours later doing the walk from Bray to Greystones...:rolleyes:

Strava missing yesterday's recovery run, but about 130k for the week

Monday - recovery runs, about 6k each, morning and late afternoon

Ran with the kid in the morning. We walked around the corner to the small park then started running, and he took off :pac: Tried to go with him but I was just too tired and creaky after the weekend :o so I cut lots of corners to catch up and get dropped, catch up and get dropped. :) He stopped after about ten minutes, and I continued on with my slow jog.

Tuesday - 6k very easy at lunch

PM - club session again. This time I was able to drive to the meeting point, so just a mile ish warmup and cooldown from there.
    Session was 5 x mile over a hilly route (the hill opposite the Speaker Connolly in Firhouse). Not hugely hilly really, Strava says only about 4m up? But we do that three times in the loop, each time it's enough to suck the energy from your legs. Each loop just over 6 minutes, recovery about 3 minutes.

Wednesday - 6k easy at lunch again

PM - ran home from work, about 10 miles. Fairly tired run, but I want to get in these midweek longer runs after sessions.

That said, I was reading in the sub 3 thread something from T-runner (I think?) about how you should feel a little undertrained rather than at your limit, and I don't think I'm leaving much breathing room at the moment. So I'll keep Thursdays and Fridays easy and relatively short, just the runmutes with no added distance.

Thursday - 5 miles easy into work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don’t know Firhouse very well, but that hill is big enough that I remember it clearly despite being over it only once or twice!

RayCun wrote: »
    That said, I was reading in the sub 3 thread something from T-runner (I think?) about how you should feel a little undertrained rather than at your limit, and I don't think I'm leaving much breathing room at the moment.

I think I make a habit of saying this about a week late... :pac:

Thursday PM - ran back home, about 8k again, finishing with strides

Friday morning - ran back into work, another 8k

Saturday - arranged to meet a couple of the guys for long run + marathon pace miles where we'd usually do the tempo. But I got up, I was tired, my feet were sore, so I jogged down to meet them just to let them know I wouldn't be joining them, and back home.

Sunday - day off (except for the four hours at a water station :rolleyes: )

today - easy 6k jog

plan for the coming few weeks is to drop some double days -
    easy Monday
    session Tuesday
    mlr wednesday
    Thursday will be double runmutes, strictly transport
    easy Friday
    session/race Saturday
    long run Sunday, with stuff

• Advertisement

Tuesday - couldn't make the evening club session, so went around to the local park in the morning to do my own. 12 x 400 off 60 seconds was about the easiest thing to set up, so that's what I did :)
    There was a definite with/against the wind effect, one direction was between 83 and 87 seconds, the other way was 76 to 82.

Wednesday - 90 minute run, from work out through Ballsbridge and Donnybrook to the marathon route in Clonskeagh. Turned into UCD at the top of Fosters Avenue and then had to find the way around the building works to the Dodder and home.

Thursday - easy runmutes in and out, strides at the end of the out

Friday - easy run in

Saturday - 6k club tempo. Good crowd at the session, but most of them only doing 5k, which is a bit of a pain in the arse when you have to run by them all :rolleyes::) Should really have been longer, but at least was faster than last week.

Sunday - met some guys for a 'long' run, but the way things worked out it was only 24k. We did do a 5k section at marathon pace about an hour in, so some effort anyway.

Monday - 6k very easy at lunchtime

Tuesday - 8 x 600m intervals, 1.40 recovery
    First thing in the morning again, and again I couldn't be bothered thinking of something more complicated so just built on last week's session.
    All between 2:01 and 2:06, slowest was the fifth, running out of steam but refocused for the last three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Sunday - day off (except for the four hours at a water station :rolleyes: )

Thanks for the shout out BTW!

Killerz wrote: »
    Thanks for the shout out BTW!

I don't think we've ever met, but you posted about the orange shorts :)

Wednesday - longish run home from work, same route as last week but picked up to steady pace along the way

Thursday - easy in to work. Just realised after this run that Strava defaults to 'moving time' for pace calculation, which is really inaccurate for runs like this in town that involve lots of road crossings

Friday - day off

• Advertisement

Tullamore Half - 1:23:23

Organisation for this race is great - parking, nice -tshirt, plenty of marshalls, four water stations, nice finish on the track and lots of food afterwards.

Met up with a few clubmates before the start, including P who I do a fair amount of long runs and tempos with, and would be going for a similar time.

Start was out on the main road, running past the entrance to the stadium, and fairly flat. Didn't notice the drag in the second k but P moved ahead, then I caught and passed him on the downhill in the third as we got to the ring road outside town, and we stuck together again on the fourth as we headed out to the suburbs. Pace for this section was about 3:52/53, about on target.

And then we got out of town, and it seemed like hill after hill... Strava says nothing major, but Strava is not to be trusted. P moved away, the other runners around moved ahead, and the next 6k were a long slog, interrupted only by the sounds of other runners catching and passing me :rolleyes:

Finally got to 10k - in 39:44 :eek: - and the top of the course. There was some downhill in the next few ks, and at least people stopped passing me, but though I closed the gap on people ahead and the long line of people in front compressed, I don't think I actually passed anyone. The next 5k took about 19:20 - but were all downhill.

Once the road started climbing again, even by only a couple of metres, pace went through the floor again. I wasn't getting completely left behind this time, some of the others were obviously feeling it too, but I was losing ground.

Eventually got to the roundabout back into town, k20 was downhill and I got some speed up again, and finally started passing a couple of people, and managed to maintain it in the last flat km, and get someone else on the track. 54th in the end (a minute behind P).

Overall a pretty poor performance. I was destroyed by the hills in the first half, coping much worse than everyone else in the race, and never really recovered. Time to revise marathon expectations, think about a pace of about 4:05 rather than 4 even. Also have to get back into an exercise regime because it has completely fallen away in the last month or two and my hips are aching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Knowing the route fairly well, Strava nor the simple up and down do the route justice description wise, it’s a tough route! At least you finished(sorry)!!.

Yeah, while 'happy' would be stretching it, I take some satisfaction in the fact that I kept working on the drag, even if my pace was going to ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ray is 'P' 'P FitzP'??

Ray is 'P' 'P FitzP'??

No, P D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Still a very impressive time, what were you aiming for?

coogy wrote: »
    Still a very impressive time, what were you aiming for?

a couple of minutes faster - I ran 1:21:2x in Waterford last year, expected about the same here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Are you running the Race Series Half?

healy1835 wrote: »
    Are you running the Race Series Half?

No, can't make that date, otherwise I'd have done that and the Frank Duffy instead of Mullingar and Tullamore. Next race is the Lakes 10k, then the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

No, can't make that date, otherwise I'd have done that and the Frank Duffy instead of Mullingar and Tullamore. Next race is the Lakes 10k, then the marathon.

Yeah i wasnt expecting to see your name in the results cause I knew you were doing Dublin. Did you have to change anything in your training due to the 10 Miler and Half being earlier in the block?

• Advertisement

healy1835 wrote: »
    Yeah i wasnt expecting to see your name in the results cause I knew you were doing Dublin. Did you have to change anything in your training due to the 10 Miler and Half being earlier in the block?

Not really - if anything, it's better to have them earlier in the block rather than in the last 6-8 weeks. The Magness marathon plan has a half marathon in the middle, pre-competition, phase of training, maybe even a little further from the marathon than Tullamore. The idea is that you get more marathon-specific the closer you get, and the last 8-10 weeks have more marathon pace work than tempo/half-marathon pace work.

I'm not really following Magness at this stage, I'm fitting things around weekend runs with the club and a longer midweek run. But the general idea of longer intervals and tempos, and more MP running, as the marathon gets closer wouldn't change whether the half was in August or September.

Sunday - 90 minutes easy, up as far as the Kiltipper nursing home and back, legs surprisingly okay after the race

Monday - 8k easy at lunch

Tuesday - 6 x 800 in the morning, continuing the progression (and yes, it will be 5 x 1000 tomorrow :) )
    Even though these were in a U shape in the usual park, and so any hills and wind should be balanced out, there was a definite pattern to the runs - 2:52, 2:44, 2:52, 2:45, 2:53, 2:46 :confused:

Wednesday - 90 minutes to Clonskeagh, UCD, and home, same route as last week.

Thursday - very easy into work, and home later, 6 x strides in the park near home at the end

Friday - Easy 8k into work

Saturday - tempo time again. A few of the guys were doing 12k and started earlier so I didn't get much of a warm-up before jumping in with them. Working a bit at the start to stay with some people, eased ahead after a few laps, then eased back again close to the end to keep the effort under control. 9k again, 3:50 pace.

Sunday - arranged to meet some guys from the club at 8, so I got down early and did 8k first, before we ran up to Marlay park. 5k at marathon pace around the concert field where we do our tempos - one guy kept me company for four, the others were sticking to an easy run. I was fairly wrecked after that, but joined back up with the guys for a few k around the park, then we got back to the concert field and I did another 3k at marathon pace. Completely ****ed when I finished, the 5k back to the car was a real struggle. 29k in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Did the Kiltipper nursing home chase after you mistakenly thinking you were a resident gone awol :)

Excellent session you're going well again

TbL

Monday - very easy 8k home from work

Tuesday - 5 x 1k, 3 minutes recovery
    No more Tuesdays off, so did this on the way into work. Most of them around Eamonn Ceant park and the last leaving the park and getting back onto the commute.
    First was very slow, 3:48, just wasn't warmed up and awake yet, but then 3:38, 3:35, 3:32, 3:30

Wednesday - longish run home, 90 minutes via Clonskeagh, same as last couple of weeks. late leaving work, and first few k very slow, but once I got onto the marathon route things picked up.

Today - 8k into work

will get out for a short one and some strides if possible tomorrow, then Blessington Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best in the morning Ray, run well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Well done today, Ray!

Friday - didn't get out at all - couldn't run in, company meeting at lunch, bloated with pizza and cake afterwards...:rolleyes:

Saturday - Lakes 10k - 38:00
    More blah. Not a mess like last year's race, but I was slower at every stage this year. Numbers in the race seemed to be down, and the start was a bit odd, very loosely packed, as if we were all standing in our usual places, leaving space for people who weren't there. Started a bit too relaxed, about 500m down the road I was behind a few people from Kilcoole and realised it was too slow, picked it up a bit to go through the first k in 3:39. A couple of the Kilcoole guys then went by, and I drifted along for the next few k - 3:40, 3:42, 3:53 - not really in it and struggling, not so much with the pace as with the thoughts of continuing at that pace. Got a second wind around 5k, partly copping on, partly realizing it wasn't getting harder, and sped up a bit, 3:44, and 3:40.
    Then the hill - a Rathfarnham runner passed me at the bottom of the hill, I wasn't trying to follow, just to get up in reasonable shape, 4:19 for that km. Next few k I ran ok, but not racing anyone, there was no-one behind me and the gap on the guys in front wasn't closing - 3:37, 3:42, 3:45.

So, another race about the same standard as Mullingar and Tullamore, I'm slower across the board than I was at the start of the year. What's changed? Supplementary work has more or less disappeared, mileage has remained steady instead of increasing, and I'm working my training around group runs on the weekend rather than following a plan. Changing job at the start of the year is responsible for the first two, it is more demanding, leaving me less energy, but I'll just have to plan better and put more effort in. The group runs I'd like to keep up, but maybe after the marathon see if the rest of the week needs to change.

Sunday - long run. Started off with a group of six, easy run to Phoenix park via Chapelizod. At the Chapelizod gate, three of the guys turned back and we started a marathon pace section - along the road to the main park entrance, in and around the roundabout to the gardai, through Lords walk, up to the Castleknock gate, and back down and out as far as Islandbridge, 8 miles. This went surprisingly well. It took a bit of effort to settle in to marathon pace outside the park, then coming in there was a bit of climbing and though the effort went up the pace stayed steady - I won't be running that fast through the park in the race - and then the long gradual downhill was fairly easy, overall we were a good bit ahead of pace. Afterwards I had no appetite for running back through Chapelizod, I took the shorter route home through Inchicore, but though it felt slow my pace was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

I'm slower across the board than I was at the start of the year. What's changed .
    Age waits for no man....

Monday - 10k in to work

Tuesday - 3 x 1600 with 3 minutes recovery
    On the way into work again. First rep one direction around Eamonn Ceannt park, second rep the other way, third rep leaving the park and back on the commute route. Did a few strides to warm up this time and got off to a better start, 5:48 (3:37 pace) for the first interval. Couple of minutes walk and a minute jog before the second one. I misread my watch on this - thought I had a minute left and pushed on, looked again to see how I hadn't finished yet and saw that there was another minute to go :(. 5:49 (3:38) for that. Walk/jog recovery again. Last rep has a fair bit of downhill, though also a gate to go through, so was faster - 5:39 (3:32).

5k easy recovery at lunch.

Wednesday - long day in work, then a longish run home, just under 20k. Over to Clonskeagh and the marathon route again. This time, instead of turning into UCD at the top of Fosters Avenue, I continued on the marathon route as far as the flyover before cutting through the college. Added less than a km to the route, I thought it would be more. Next time will do two of those laps.

Thursday - easy in and out of work, about 8k each way

Friday - easy in

Garmin is annoying me again, getting even harder to charge it. Might have to splash out on a new one soon...

• Advertisement

Saturday - 9k tempo
    An object lesson in the limitations of Garmins. I was running with another guy around a lap that is roughly 1k. My watch beeped a few seconds earlier each lap, and tells me I ran 9.1k in total. His beeped a few seconds later each lap, so he had to run an extra 100m to get to 10k. Which was right? Who knows. We'd both planned to run about 3:50/51, but the upshot was that I ran a bit faster than usual, 3:48 average. On my watch at least.

Sunday - 20 miles, including 8 at marathon pace
    Under some time pressure this morning so was out early to get a few miles in before meeting the gang. Down through Ballyfermot to the park again, about 8 miles when we stopped opposite Donore.
    Last week two of us were tailing a faster guy as he pulled us along at roughly MP. This week he had faster company and went off for his own MP section, while three (and then two) of us worked together. Along Conyngham Road again, in Parkgate Street and onto the route, this time going out through Castleknock and back in the Knockmaroon gate. I did the last k on my own through the Glen and down towards the gate, ending just inside the park. A little slow overall, and not quite matching the effort levels to the inclines correctly, but a decent run.
    4 miles home, more or less, including that hill up to Ballyfermot :(

Advertisement