Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Festina lente

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

3.04 miles in 29.36 (average 9.44)

Another 6am recovery run. Don't know if it's the early start or the running the day before, but I felt very tired. Glad I didn't have to try to run faster than that.

New runners again - felt much more comfortable today, I'm getting used to them, or they're getting broken in, or my legs were in better shape today, I don't know. I will have to loosen the laces on my right foot though - my feet are slightly different sizes, and in my other runners, my left foot tends to slip a little because it's smaller, while these feel too tight across my right foot.
    Or maybe I'll wear one of each!

Total this week: 10.52 miles

10.23 miles in 1.40.50 (average 9.51)

Longest run yet, and it went well. Up to Tymon, wandering around both sides of the M50, and back home again. Legs were tired by the end, but no pain, could have gone on longer if necessary (but I'm glad it wasn't - I'm going to feel this tomorrow)

Total this week: 20.75 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

well done :) a good bit of stretching and fingers crossed you'll be grand tom! Breaking the 10milemark was a big mental barrier for me, after that its not as scary adding 1 or 2miles! 15 is my next barrier....:eek:

3.02 miles in 30.54 (average 10.14)

Slow recovery run, on a Monday this week as per RainbowKirby's suggestion. Remembered to loosen the laces on my right runner, no problems there any more. Made a point of doing a few minutes walking at the beginning and end of the run. I'll keep that up for the morning runs at least, let my legs loosen up a little.

Total this month: 76 miles

Month|Miles
    January|38.8|
    February|35.5|
    March|48.7|
    April|70|
    May|76|

5.4 miles in 49 minutes ...more or less

Annoying run today. Garmin was switched on accidentally in my bag some time, and quit out almost immediately. I went out too fast - knew it was too fast, but since today is my pace run I decided I'd rather be too fast than too slow. Listening to podcast on the way but accidentally skipped forward to the end. Second half of the run I was too hot, slowing down, feeling stiff just below my left knee, and really felt like slowing to a walk - something I haven't done in six months - but eventually made it to the last straight and got home. Over with now anyway. Walked around the block when I got home, and did a longer stretching routine than usual, intend to keep this up.

Total this week: 8.4 miles

• Advertisement

3.02 miles in 30.04

Another slow recovery run. Warmed up and down with a few minutes walk, legs feel tired but okay.
    I'm planning to start the marathon programme in the week of the 14th, so I think I'll make next week a very easy week, just a few short and slow runs. I could do another 20 mile+ week next week, and then week 1 would be a step back of a few miles, but I think I'm better off giving my body a chance to recover more before starting the training. The next few months are going to be hard enough - an extra ten miles before I start isn't going to help much, but a rest week could make a big difference.

Total this week: 11.4 miles

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RayCun wrote: »
    an extra ten miles before I start isn't going to help much, but a rest week could make a big difference.
    Have to say I agree. Might be a good time to throw in a bit of cross-training too (swimming/cycling etc).

I don't know about that! I'd have to learn to swim properly, or get a bike :)
    I'll probably walk home from work a few times next week...

13.11 miles in 2.10.09

So I decided a few days ago that next week would be a rest week with only a few short runs, and today would be my last big run before starting the training. So then I thought... if it's going to be a long run, and I'm going to have an easy week to recover, why not make it a long run? How about a half-marathon?

So, up to Tymon, one loop around bringing me up to about six miles, then down to the shops for a bottle of water and a gel, and back up for another wander around then back to the house, with a little detour to get me up to 13.1. Total disassociative running, one podcast (iTunes U on the US civil war) after another (Mark Kermode's film reviews - hilarious rant about Sex and the City 2), just letting the legs do their thing.

Managed to keep the pace steady between 9.45 and 10.15 pretty much all the way around.

Marathon test run in a way - wore the singlet I got from Oxfam, testing out running gels - but also a confidence booster before the training really begins. I know I can run a half-marathon distance now, that'll carry me through the first few weeks. I have a week spare in the training plan, if I really need a break. So now all I need to do is run twice as far, a minute per mile faster. No problem :rolleyes:

(Gel was caffeinated green apple - tasted vile, but didn't upset my stomach at all. Will try some more flavours/brands over the next few months)

Total this week: 24.5 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Nice run Raycun!
    I've used those apple gels too and they've worked well. I don't mind the taste as long as I knock back some water with it. I had 3 of them in Connemara and had no problems with them.

• Advertisement

3.18 miles in 29.53 (9.23 pace)

Recovery run - a little longer than the usual 3 just to get me up to 300 for the year. I was surprised by how easy this felt, I was expecting to feel much worse after Saturday's long run. I did a fair amount of walking over the weekend, it probably helped keep my muscles loose, and I'm being more conscientious about warmups, warmdowns, and post-run stretching.

Anyway, I expected to struggle around at about 10 minute miles, but discovered after a few minutes that I was cruising around 9.30, and kept that up all the way around. Which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Nice one on the half marathon. Definitely a confidence booster. You'll be flying it by marathon-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dave_

Been reading your log Raycun, we seem to be at a similar level.

Great running at the weekend with the half. I took a week off myself last week but looking forward to upping the miles again this week and next.

3.42 miles in 28.49 (8.25 pace)

Easy week continues with a short pace run this morning.

Total this week: 6.6 miles

noticed that this table didn't match the 100 mile challenge, so naturally I had to drop everything and fix it...

Month|Miles
    January|38.8|
    February|35.5|
    March|53.2|
    April|72|
    May|75.9|

3.02 miles in 28.29 (9.29 pace)

Usual early morning easy run.

Total this week: 9.6 miles

9.1 miles in 1.27.03 (9.34 pace)
    (9.36/9.20/9.42/9.43/9.35/9.41/9.34/9.21/9.38/8.59)

Not following my own advice :mad:
    Every time I looked at my Garmin my pace was in the low 9s. I'd slow down, but whenever I looked again my pace was back up. I think it's because I was on a new route - finding my way through to Phoenix Park from Walkinstown - and I'd unconsciously speed up.

Anyway, found my connecting route through, it's only a little further than the run to Tymon so I'll be going up there for a few runs this summer. Also discovered that there are no footbridges over the Liffey between Chapelizod and the South Circular, and that Landsdowne Valley Park is a dead end, with only one entrance (on Davitt Road). I'll know for next time.

(Shoe update - the Mizunos are fine, wore them today and forget I had them on. The shorts I got the same day chafe too much though, which is a pity as they have more pockets than my Adidas shorts. In more TMI news, I really need to get some Bodyglide...)

Total this week: 18.7 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

RayCun wrote: »
    The shorts I got the same day chafe too much though, which is a pity as they have more pockets than my Adidas shorts. In more TMI news, I really need to get some Bodyglide...)

Total this week: 18.7 miles

New shorts for me so :) I'll save the fat off the roast chicken, that'll do you instead of bodyglide ;)

3.02 miles in 27.40 (9.13 pace)

Easy run this morning but I left my iPod behind and got a bit bored, so I threw in some strides. The easy pace was about 9.40, I think, and the strides around 7.10. Picked up the pace again for the last quarter mile home, around 8.40. Missed my bus then this morning, so had a 4.5 mile crosstraining walk in to work...

Bit of a pull on my upper left thigh, hope the run and walk have stretched it out.

5.01 miles in 43.41 (8.43 pace)

Not a particularly pleasant run. Very hot, and various aches and pains throughout - upper left thigh sore again at the beginning, first my left calf then my right cramping up, and I noticed towards the end that my left foot was splaying out when I landed. All things I'd understand if I'd run twice the distance, but not in a five mile run home. Probably didn't help that I went out too fast (first two miles under 8.30), and stayed too fast all the way home (supposed to be running at 9.00, every split was under that).

Total this week: 8.03 miles

• Advertisement

3.01 miles in 28.54 (9.39 pace)

Quite a sore run this morning. Started with my inside upper left thigh, sharp pain as I pushed off. That calmed down after a few minutes, but then my outside calves started getting sore. Oh well, let's hope Saturday goes better.

Long day today too. 6am start for the run, and after work I'll be walking four miles in to James's Hospital to donate blood platelets. Early night tonight, I think...

Total this week: 11.04 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Do you have to avoid training for a period of time after giving the platlets? How soon can you go back running?

I wondered the same thing myself, so I found a thread on it from last year.

At the clinic they generally just tell you to take it easy for the rest of the day, but they don't tell you to avoid baths etc the way they would after whole blood donation. I've never felt any ill-effects from it, but I won't be running again until Saturday anyway. I think if I had a race coming up I'd probably leave more than a couple of days for recovery, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Hi Raycun,

Hope the aches and pains clear up and your next LSR run goes well. Thanks for posting your avg pace because I was wondering about that as mine is a bit all over the place. On avg we seem to be similar for the short runs but I'm a bit slower on the LSRs. Hoping that will come with time.

Anyway main point of post is to ask you about running books - which Glover one do you have and would you recommend it? I have the Non-Runners Marathon Trainer which is ok but I reckon I could do with something a bit more detailed.

I have The Runner's Handbook.

To be honest, I don't think there's a lot in there that I hadn't already heard on boards or other random web sites, but there's something to be said for having it all in one place and reading through it in sequence. And I'll probably dip in and out of it as the need arises - if I'm going to try speed training, or get injured, or whatever.

9.27 miles in 1.33.05 (10.04 pace)

Another sore start to the run - thigh muscle again as I started, though that soon faded, but my calf muscles were very tight for the first few miles. Kept on plodding through it and they eventually loosened up, so the second half of the run was okay. Judging by the stretches afterwards it was the soleus muscles, I'll have to keep an eye on them. On the good side, it kept my pace down to LSR pace...

Anyway, I think I'll leave my recovery run to Tuesday, for the extra day's rest.

Total this week: 20.31 miles

3.03 miles in 28.34 (9.23 pace)

Legs pretty stiff and slow this morning, but it's just the usual protest about going straight from bed to running. Running was easier by the last mile. No muscle pain this morning, which is good, I'd have started worrying if my thigh was sore again.

5.02 miles in 44.18 (8.49 pace)

Happy with this run - was able to stick to a pace just under 9min/mile throughout without having to think about it too much, and it felt fairly relaxed all the way through. Even running up that hill in Bushy Park didn't throw off my pace, though I was breathing harder for another couple of minutes afterwards. A little stiffness in my legs in the second mile, but barely worth mentioning.

Total this week: 8.05 miles

3.02 miles in 27.55 (9.15 pace)

Different route this morning, up to a local park and two laps around. Don't like running laps, but I do like running on tarmac...

Total this week: 11.07 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Me neither, the ABC park or the one I go to ?

Advertisement