Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

If GTA V comes out this year I'll be pleasantly surprised, too short a time from announcement and 1st trailer to release date for my liking unless E3 proves me wrong and they have a nearly finished product on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Shame that most people want GTA5 on PC now, due to current shifts.

Be interesting to see how soon we get it after the consoles.

If theres a GTA coming out and no new console has it nailed exclusive on as per 360 then there isnt a new console coming out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I have a feeling we'll see it in first week of Dec. Rockstar have had plenty of time and teams to tap away on this and dev of a game like GTA you dont need FPS levels of shooting, racing genre levels of driving etc just serviceable levels suit fine.

Launching first week in Dec would be just right, the box fresh feeling of COD will have worn off at that stage, people will want a campaign game to casually jump in and out of as family visit AND they'll get the whole chirstmas rush for the full first month and late takers for q1 2013.

They'll surely announce a release date come e3 so I suppose we dont have too long to wait for an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I don't think we have any chance of seeing it out this year. There are just so many questions about it still up in the air about the game. I doubt they'll have the first media reveal then say anyhow its a 2012 release. I reckon it won't be at E3 either I think when they open up about the game they won't do it in the week of a huge amount of news & updates. Bit off topic I think E3 will be very forgetable this year unless the WiiU is powerful. What else is there to announce come e3 bar release dates or pricecuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya, have Rockstar ever shown a GTA at E3? They know they could show a trailer whenever they wanted and it would break the Internet.

Ya, E3 sounds like it's gonna be crap. Most looking forward to Sleeping Dogs and Borderlands 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ya, have Rockstar ever shown a GTA at E3? They know they could show a trailer whenever they wanted and it would break the Internet.

Ya, E3 sounds like it's gonna be crap. Most looking forward to Sleeping Dogs and Borderlands 2

I believe they showed GTAIV at e3 in 07 with an intended release date of october 07 but various things delayed it to April 08 due to issues with the ps3 version and more importantly take-two wanting it to be delayed to make 08 look like a good year financally

if it doesnt get released before christmas it will be after march before its released as their fiscal year ends in march/april

Looks like Sons of Anarchy is being made into a game

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/723654/sons-of-anarchy-creator-reveals-console-game-plans/

GTA The Lost & The Damned already did the biker gang thing but it wasn't very fun.

Hopefully, whoever picks this up gives it the love it deserves and does justice to one of the best shows on telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Read on Eurogamer there may be a Lego Lord of the Rings game coming that'd be cool if true. Been leaked from Lego toy boxes like Lego Batman 2 was.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Lego series of games are great, and a LotR game/series would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/723654/sons-of-anarchy-creator-reveals-console-game-plans/

GTA The Lost & The Damned already did the biker gang thing but it wasn't very fun.

Hopefully, whoever picks this up gives it the love it deserves and does justice to one of the best shows on telly.

Didn't we have one already?

Although, a SAMCRO game done well would be class. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So long as there are no levels about visiting SAMBEL, this could be great :D. Maybe even set it a few years before the show.

Besides which, I actually really liked The Lost & Damned. Thought it was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Bamboonub

Serious Sam 3 is still in production for X360 & PS3 But apparently, Croteam is finding the production very hard after they stated that working with the current gen's hardware is outdated and they're making many optimizations to get the game working with a smooth framerate.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-11657-Serious-Sam-3--BFE-for-Xbox-360-is-Still-a-Thing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Love SOA would be great to see a game. Hopefully it will do it justice. I assume it won't be out for ages so I won't get my hopes up now or anything.

Look forward to hearing more about it though, closer to the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

GTR63 wrote: »
    Read on Eurogamer there may be a Lego Lord of the Rings game coming that'd be cool if true. Been leaked from Lego toy boxes like Lego Batman 2 was.

I'd say this is a real possibility now they are producing or have the rights at least to make LoTR lego figures, not sure if you can buy them yet, saw some images of them a while ago and recall wanting them :o

but also recall thinking this opens the door for a game :)

Love the lego games, made for 7 year old kids but played by 30+ year old kids :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

http://kotaku.com/5910600/ninja-gaiden-creators-new-game-is-on-hold

Alas! Looks like it will be a while before we get the true Ninja Gaiden successor. With guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

http://kotaku.com/5910600/ninja-gaiden-creators-new-game-is-on-hold

Alas! Looks like it will be a while before we get the true Ninja Gaiden successor. With guns.
    ****ing ****ity **** ****.

If THQ are going to want to hold onto the IP then it's going to severely limit their choices. Perhaps EA Partners? :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

gizmo wrote: »
    Perhaps EA Partners? :(

Too busy cackling evilly over their Cauldron of DLC, summoning yearly updates and consulting their Big Demonic Book of Corporate Conspiracies.

Too busy cackling evilly over their Cauldron of DLC, summoning yearly updates and consulting their Big Demonic Book of Corporate Conspiracies.
    Yea! They ruined Diablo III too! They ruined it so bad mine didn't even arrive in the post today! Damn greedy developers!

As for Devil's Third, the Gamasutra story tells an entirely different story. It seems like THQ want to get rid of it completely as it no longer "fits THQ's profile." Pardon me while I vomit over here.

Interesting bit about the engine (when combined with the GameInformer article) though, what game engine company went out of business since they started up? They were supposedly to be using the Darksiders 2 engine but he says there they're using a modified version of Relic tech? Unless that's what the DS2 engine is built on? Hopefully that doesn't get in the way of any subsequent deal either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 nedy1990

gizmo wrote: »
    No real point in creating a thread for this until we get some solid news but there's a rumor going around that...

THQ Wipes Out Games Planned for 2014 to Ready Itself for Sale, Says Games Insider

ya i heard that THQ will be gone before long this year they made a loss of $239 million

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/15/thq-sees-net-loss-of-239-9-million-still-in-business/

As bad as it is another dev going out of business, I'm glad the UFC franchise could go into different hands for their next installment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

10hiyqt.jpg

EnterNow wrote: »
    thq pic

Should read more like

"Put out utter tripe games such as - Homefront, Udraw, red faction amageddon, 50cent: blood on the sand, etc"

"Used games ruining the industry"

OMG, I mean seriously... look at the list of games they have published. Its nearly all shovel ware and movie tie ins. They have some cheek to say used games are ruining the industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_THQ_games

Bad news for portable shooter fans, and perhaps an unfortunate sign of Cave's ailing finances.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/15/cave-cancels-playstation-vita-shooter-and-social-game/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

hightower1 wrote: »
    Should read more like

"Put out utter tripe games such as - Homefront, Udraw, red faction amageddon, 50cent: blood on the sand, etc"

"Used games ruining the industry"

OMG, I mean seriously... look at the list of games they have published. Its nearly all shovel ware and movie tie ins. They have some cheek to say used games are ruining the industry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_THQ_games

They have had some great games, so they really have no excuse for being in this mess. In the last 4 years, they have had Darksiders, Saints Row 3, Warhammer: Space Marine, Red Faction: Armageddon (I liked it, wasn't fantastic, but was fun), You Don't Know Jack, WWE All Stars, WWE '12, Red Faction: Guerilla. There's some crap in there, mainly Wii titles, but tie ins like Wall-E and UP were actually fairly decent games, that did benefit from the license, but weren't bad games by themselves.

chrislad wrote: »
    They have had some great games, so they really have no excuse for being in this mess. In the last 4 years, they have had Darksiders, Saints Row 3, Warhammer: Space Marine, Red Faction: Armageddon (I liked it, wasn't fantastic, but was fun), You Don't Know Jack, WWE All Stars, WWE '12, Red Faction: Guerilla. There's some crap in there, mainly Wii titles, but tie ins like Wall-E and UP were actually fairly decent games, that did benefit from the license, but weren't bad games by themselves.
    uDraw was a massive loss for them though. Utterly terrible project really, I have no idea why they ever thought it would succeed, especially on the 360/PS3. Space Marine, despite its quality, also sold like ass which didn't help. Saints Row 3 has been a decent earner for them though so that has helped.

Totally gutted over Devil's Third though, that was the game I was looking forward to more than any other that wasn't Half Life 3. :(

chrislad wrote: »

Darksiders was at best mediocre and when games cost 60 bucks and your main demographic buys a game a month at best who is gonna risk their game of that month on something thats a mediocre new IP? Golden rule is if your bringing a new IP to the table ther make it dirt cheap to maximize profit margins or make it 9/10 good so reviews and word of mouth will drive sales. Darksiders was neither.

WWE games? I mean WWE itself hasnt been popular for the last 5 years at least, yeah there is a loyal fan base for them games but the size of the fan base is not nearly enough to justify spending normal amounts of cash on the games.

The likes of red faction were the games that ruined THQ. The games that upper management were full sure were going to be huge sellers but ultimately ended up being nothing more than fun for a while renters. They had no innovation, no new ideas, no creativity and no longevity. They were so full sure of those games that even when they get mediocre reviews and when sales match the quality the cant even see it was the games fault...they blame the used market.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Darksiders was at best mediocre

Eh, no it wasn't. Darksiders was great.

Darksiders was at best mediocre and when games cost 60 bucks and your main demographic buys a game a month at best who is gonna risk their game of that month on something thats a mediocre new IP? Golden rule is if your bringing a new IP to the table ther make it dirt cheap to maximize profit margins or make it 9/10 good so reviews and word of mouth will drive sales. Darksiders was neither.
    To echo what Kiith said, Darksiders was indeed great and thoroughly deserves its 83% metacritic. It was, however, released in 2010 so its performance wouldn't have affected their current financials.
    WWE games? I mean WWE itself hasnt been popular for the last 5 years at least, yeah there is a loyal fan base for them games but the size of the fan base is not nearly enough to justify spending normal amounts of cash on the games.
    Looking at the sales data for WWE, the figures have been pretty consistent across titles in the previous couple of years, coming in at around 2m across both 360 and PS3. Not fantastic but still outselling the majority of other titles.
    The likes of red faction were the games that ruined THQ. The games that upper management were full sure were going to be huge sellers but ultimately ended up being nothing more than fun for a while renters.
    From what I've played of the game I can certainly agree here. While Guerilla's sales figures didn't exactly set the world alight, changing the formula so much for Armageddon in such a poorly marketed manner and expecting such big things because of its "safer" design was just a receipe for disaster. Homefront suffered from a similar problem and with the subsequent closure of Kaos Studios most cerainly points to some sort of weird disconnect their core games division is suffering.

Of course, then they go and hold onto Metro: Last Light in spite of the recent purge. Pretty baffling stuff really. :o
    They had no innovation, no new ideas, no creativity and no longevity. They were so full sure of those games that even when they get mediocre reviews and when sales match the quality the cant even see it was the games fault...they blame the used market.
    Well see that's the handy thing with built in metrics via leaderboards et al in modern games, they can look at their sales figures and then, looking at the above numbers (factoring in those copies played offline), determine how much they "lost" to second hand sales. Their figures will, of course, but neither accurate nor the primary reason for their failure but you can bet your ass they'll report on those before they blame poor direction from the top or poor marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

mass effect 3 getting multiplayer dlc - Sony Hong Kong of all companies outed the the new DLC named “Rebellion” and then quickly proceeded to remove the announcement. Before the site was pulled, the Sony site marked the release for..well the 16th, so it looks like we’ll be seeing it soon.
    http://gameslushy.com/2012/05/16/mass-effect-3-is-getting-new-multiplayer-dlc/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EA and Activision have settled over Infinity ward, no word on terms but this only applies to EA. Former employees who were not paid their bonuses and royalties are still suing them and this has not changed after $42m was paid to them recently, the employees were seeking damages and royalties of between $75m and $125m.

Some court filing were released from the Vince Zampella and Jason West VS Activision.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-activision-documents-20120516,0,5025423.story

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement