Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Witcher 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

https://twitter.com/Aga_Szostak/status/367710779929538560

So they got Charles Dance as a voice actor, sweet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I loved the original game. Never got into the second one in the same way, and doubt I've completed half of it. One thing that disappointed me was the removal of the rhythm-based combat, which I had liked. I also never got drawn into the story in the same way.

I was seriously impressed with the storytelling from the start with the first one and the ambiguous decisions that you are faced with. I think it was the Of Monsters and Men quest in chapter 1 that first made me notice the quality it had in that regard. It has wow factor really. I liked the chapter structure as well, which added to the feel of being immersed in a story for me.

The novelty of the game was a lot of the appeal for me. Things are a lot more interesting the first time you experience them, than when you are faced with the same basic concepts over and over again. Obviously with any sequel it is different to offer the same feeling of novelty as with an original game - especially when trying to maintain what made the first game appealing too.

The sequel lost some of its uniqueness I think. It seemed more influenced by other highly successful games, a bit more mainstream - less focused on its own particular world and stories. Reproducing elements of the original and mixing them with more generic features I guess. An awful lot of fuss was made about the graphics. Again the wrong thing to be trying to wow people with I think. I didn't think the graphics were that special in any case [and I did play at max settings]

I hope that trend doesn't continue with the third instalment. The removal of the chapter structure doesn't bode well in my mind. Neither am I excited by the game world being bigger than Skyrim. It suggests they are focused on the wrong things. They aren't making the sequel to Skyrim.

The level of investment plays a part of course. Has to be a focus on return on investment. Safer bet to go with proven formulas and what appeals to the broadest range of buyers. Have to be brave to be too different with big budget titles. Compare the level of diversity in games in the 80s and 90s, when budgets were much smaller in general, with the homogenisation of games now.

So yeah. My attitude is that it will be a dead space 3-esque crapfest. Hopefully I'll be happily surprised though.

[Not that I've played Dead Space 3, but I'm willing to take the general comments on it as true.]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very good and in depth write up of the game by Eurogamer, well worth reading.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-19-the-witcher-3-what-is-a-next-gen-rpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,297 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

got lost in that review and several other link offs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Gameplay trailer:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

When is it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No release date yet. Id say Jan/Feb? It looks like the dogs bollox anyway! Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MadYaker wrote: »
    No release date yet. Id say Jan/Feb? It looks like the dogs bollox anyway! Can't wait.

when i was reading about it, it seemed like it was hinting at the second half of the year.

yeah I'd say 3rd quarter next year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Loved the 1st one, couldnt get into the 2nd one...

Mehish on this one as in i wont play it until i finish the 2nd one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd say i only enjoyed the 1st one, whereas i absolutely loved the 2nd. Much improved in pretty much every way imo. Fantastic game, and can't wait for the 3rd installment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

used to love 2 as well until I played dark souls, now whenever I try and replay 2 the combat just feels awful and I never get far

Have you tried it recently with the combat enhancement mod? I've not tried it, but it's supposed to be excellent (though i doubt it'll ever compare to Dark Souls).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I tried twice to get into the first one, but couldn't. I may have to give it another go.
    People always talk about the choices etc and it really appeals to me, I just wasn't enjoying the story that much at the start.

How many hours do you have to put in before it really kicks off ?

give it at least 10 - 15 hours before you decide against it or until you can get past the swamp as that was the only bit I didn't like in the first game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

You just know this is gonna be an excellent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Wow 10-15 hours is a big commitment for a game. Considering many you play these days are completed in that time.

Yeah, the first can be tough to get through. I actually think i played the 2nd before i actually finished the 1st.

Actually, i'm not even sure i ever completed the 1st...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Chapter 2 is an absolute nightmare in the first game, was seriously regretting not playing it at the lowest difficulty setting at that point, the amount of running around in that chapter was also extremely tedious. It improves a lot in chapters 3 and 4 though. Must get back to it soon and finish it, still have chapter 5 to play and then on to the second game.

Trailer for this looks amazing I have to say. Like the look of the combat, not a big fan of it in the first game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yes, the swamp was rather a slog if you didn't know what you were doing. Especially if you were playing on the hardest setting, and had been using up potions willy-nilly before that, leaving you short on vital ingredients for the big fights. :( It opens up so much after that though, it's like a whole different game. The investigations, the murder mystery, the side stories, they're just magnificent.

I got bogged down in real life and other things while playing Witcher 2, last time I played I was just about to make a choice on whether to follow Iorveth or Roche. I'm almost afraid to go back to that choice because it's such a big one.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Have you tried it recently with the combat enhancement mod? I've not tried it, but it's supposed to be excellent (though i doubt it'll ever compare to Dark Souls).

i hated the enchancement even more. just couldn't wrap my head at all around how the combat was supposed to work with it installed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh my god the combat is doing my head in in the first one. He either flattens an Enemy too easily or just stands there until he's dead if there's more than 3 of them.

Combat in the 1st was pretty awful. I remember breezing through the first area, and than getting crucified by the demon dog boss. Absolutely slaughtered me over and over again till i gave up (think i cheated actually).

Are you playing the enhanced edition? It makes it more balanced from what i remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Oh my god the combat is doing my head in in the first one. He either flattens an Enemy too easily or just stands there until he's dead if there's more than 3 of them.

You do need to use heavy attacks against big enemies, and fast attacks against fast enemies, and consider group attacks when there's a group of enemies. It's not hard when you get used to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Mickeroo wrote: »

I gave up on it. Watched the story and went straight to Witcher 2. Got to somewhere in Chapter 2 before combat just frustrated me to stopping

i just finished a replay of witcher 2.. i'd never actually played through iorveths story (having done roche first time around when it was released). got to chapter 3 and realised why it took me so long to replay it.. jesus that game took a serious nosedive in quality.

chaps 1 and 2 are excellent though, the crappy finale doesn't really ruin the game as 1 and 2 feel like enough. at some point before witcher 3 i'll have to do a runthrough of 1 and 2 to get a save to import... not sure if im looking forward to that or not

I never actually played it after the released the Enhanced Edition. It was supposed to improve the 3rd act, but i guess it was still pretty poor. Definite drop in quality. Also never did an Iorveth's playthrough. You'd miss out on the best quest in the game though, resulting in a brilliant tattoo :P

Plus...Odrin!! Odrin!!

I was stuck at a part in chapter 5, so was well used used of the combat mechanics, just found them really awful. If you were drastically outnumbered geralt would just stand there unable to react a lot of the time, generally spent most of the time, and the dodging was useless, even if you dodge you still take damage.

Just completed it there anyway, such a frustrating game but the storyline and characters just about make up for the combat parts which were a massive chore to get through imo.

Have witcher 2 sitting unplayed on my X-Box so will be on to that next I reckon.

You can carry over your save if you're playing on the pc. Changes a few things in the 2nd iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

New gameplay trailer from VGX.

If combat is fine-tuned, could be excellent.

Advertisement