Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tom Clancy's The Division

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Haven't heard anything about the game other than that video but as a single player game it looks like a fairly generic cover based shooter to me. If the whole thing is co-op with MMO elements though I'll definitely be interested, playing through all that with friends would be great fun, especially with the aerial and tactical stuff.

On a side note, I really hope local co-op makes a comeback on these new consoles, one of the things I really don't like about the current gen is the lack of good games to play through with someone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Tom Clancy's The Division is a nominee for the Best Of E3 award according to their facebook page. Well deserved if you ask me. Its been the stand out game of E3 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Looks great. I'm gonna be pissed it this doesn't make it to PC. I just can't play with a controller. Got a second hand xbox with a **** load of games 2 years ago and i haven't played it for more than 2 hours. Gotta have a kb and mouse.

Why don't Microsoft or Sony allow for Kb and mouse input ? Their sales would rocket. Surely it couldn't be that hard to implement. Is it because all the controller players would get their asses handed to them on multi ?

And whatever happened to Rainbow 6 patriots ? Edit: Ok just checked. Looks like its a non-runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Heckler wrote: »
    Why don't Microsoft or Sony allow for Kb and mouse input ? Their sales would rocket. Surely it couldn't be that hard to implement. Is it because all the controller players would get their asses handed to them on multi ?

I can't speak for the 360 but the PS3 does allow keyboard and mouse input, but the game has to support it too.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Heckler wrote:
    Looks great. I'm gonna be pissed it this doesn't make it to PC. I just can't play with a controller. Got a second hand xbox with a **** load of games 2 years ago and i haven't played it for more than 2 hours. Gotta have a kb and mouse.

Ubisoft where asked on twitter about a PC version and replied
    "We are optimizing the experience for next gen consoles. However, we are not ruling out any platforms for the future."

I'd imagine the reason is that keyboard/mouse players would have too much of an advantage in multiplayer games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Seeing as this is PS4/XBO and XBO has SmartGlass for tables what is Sony's version of Smartglass. I already watched a video of a person buying Killzone on their smartphone and remote downloading to the PS4 but Sony have said nothing about this yet.

The gameplay shown was played on a PS4, so perhaps that means that the tablet version also works on PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The last tommy Clancy games I got was ghost recon future soldier and I was disappointed by it . I also didn like the last splinter cell. . I'm thinking I might miss this one .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Tom Clancy's The Division is a nominee for the Best Of E3 award according to their facebook page. Well deserved if you ask me. Its been the stand out game of E3 this year.

Agreed, it was my favourite from the show also. The in game menu system and the map looked great, gorgeous graphics too. The attention to detail was cool, like when the main player closed the car door when crouching past it.

I thought the bullets going through the windows of the police cruisers looked fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I thought the bullets going through the windows of the police cruisers looked fantastic.

This and the bullets bursting the tyres of the car and actually doing realistic damage/penetration was what I was most impressed with. It looks like simply hiding behind a car won't be guaranteed to cover you or protect you from bullets, whereas a wall or concrete barricade will. It's going to force strategies to be much more thought out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

the trailer is very poor. Shows no gameplay, explains very little about the game and explains the plot which has some big holes. This is what most people will watch and it is a turn off. It is the first video i watched and wasn't impressed.
    Then i watched the gameplay video, which was awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Remember folks this is the next gen so everything will look amazing. But to me it looks like a generic cover and shoot.
    Nothing particularly special about it other than the graphics (which we expect to be brilliant anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

EyeSight wrote: »
    the trailer is very poor. Shows no gameplay, explains very little about the game and explains the plot which has some big holes. This is what most people will watch and it is a turn off. It is the first video i watched and wasn't impressed.
    Then i watched the gameplay video, which was awesome

Announcement trailers rarely IF ever show gameplay

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Agree, excellent details instead of generic glass smashing, that'll be a big thing with next gen stuff, the minor details that will add to atmoshere, theres a shot earlier in the trailer of a load of steam coming up beside a car and the way the tail lights are seen through the fog is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Remember folks this is the next gen so everything will look amazing. But to me it looks like a generic cover and shoot.
    Nothing particularly special about it other than the graphics (which we expect to be brilliant anyway)

Did you notice at the end of the gameplay video the squad were attacked by another player controlled squad. This to me suggests a game with a much broader scope than just cover and shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Looks like an online version of just every man for himself, I wonder how you form alliances / join groups, or why people just attack another group?

Looks absolutely amazing though. Will probably be a couple of years til I play it though as I don't want to splash silly money out on new consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kennryyr

Watched it in 1080p in full screen mode and literally all I could think was "Holy Sh1tballs!!"

Game looks absolutely amazing, the whole post-apocalyptic setting really looks great and gives the game that hint of "this could really happen". The physics, as people have already previously pointed out, are top notch. I particularly enjoyed when the drone spotted the guy hiding through the sign at the end and the bullets ripped through the wood and the lights all filtered through in real time. Sweet!

And then the little cliffhanger at the end "Look at Manhattan"... "yeah we'll have to take a trip over there later". Imagine huge pvp firefights going on throughout Times Square.. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

From what I got from the gameplay it's an survival third person cover shooter in an persistent open world which you share with many other players with other players being the real "threat", but with group mechanics.

If it's all of the above then it's the only game that will make me even think about buying a console.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

so this could be basically a squad based open world shooter with Demon's Souls-esque mechanic for the multiplayer? intruiging.

The thought of having 4 or 5 boardsies lying in wait down a street to ambush a group of randomers is tantalizing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

i thought megan was really hot from her voice....gamer girls.....mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Sweet baby Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

krudler wrote: »
    Agree, excellent details instead of generic glass smashing, that'll be a big thing with next gen stuff, the minor details that will add to atmoshere, theres a shot earlier in the trailer of a load of steam coming up beside a car and the way the tail lights are seen through the fog is great.
    What got me was as he was crouched beside the police cruiser and started moving towards the back, he pushed the door closed rather than go around it. I know it's only a small silly thing, but these little touches really make a game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Gamespot have a gamplay demo, think it's the Ubi E3 one again with on stage developers interview and Q&A session in 90mins time. Might get some more info on this.

http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/stage-2-day-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Was a good interview, was wondering how it was gonna handle missions etc but seems they will be going with a dynamic system they add to which could be cool

The impression I got from the Q&A was certain parts of the city would be a type of free roam area were you could run into other players, but other parts would be just you and friends doing missions like clearing a hide out in RDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

The impression I got from the Q&A was certain parts of the city would be a type of free roam area were you could run into other players, but other parts would be just you and friends doing missions like clearing a hide out in RDR.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing. Like when they go to the police station, what if another group of players had just cleared it would the enemies respawn on top of them? I guess its still early days yet.

Its early days alright, as its not going to be released until autumn 2014 so over a year to wait, but it is looking very very promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I love sand box games, my question is how, intractable are you to the environment ? can you climb ladders go into house's apartments.
    While we saw them going into a shop and a Police station, There seems lieka few you can walk into and stuff but so many questions... how set in stone is this game going to be? from what we saw players can attack each other you can change your skill set on the fly, and manipulate a situation. Are you able to drive cars?

But i am looking forward to playing this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Snowie wrote: »
    I love sand box games, my question is how, intractable are you to the environment ? can you climb ladders go into house's apartments.
    While we saw them going into a shop and a Police station, There seems lieka few you can walk into and stuff but so many questions... how set in stone is this game going to be? from what we saw players can attack each other you can change your skill set on the fly, and manipulate a situation. Are you able to drive cars?

But i am looking forward to playing this game.

I'm sure you can access a lot of buildings as looting is a big part of the game, you start off with 3 days of supplies and after that are on your own to survive, that's why we see them taking the water bottles at the police station. To me this is what makes it much more than just a cover shooter, there are survival elements to it too. They say you can change your skill set on the go. As for cars, from the footage shown, it really doesn't look like there's any room to drive with all the wreckage on the roads.

Advertisement