Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I don't even think the new 007 would make it in.

If there was he'd have let us know by now.
    Delighted for him. Or more to the point delighted that this might turn him into the golfer he could be. The amount of winners with women and children beside them on the 18th says something about the human mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Delighted for him. Or more to the point delighted that this might turn him into the golfer he could be. The amount of winners with women and children beside them on the 18th says something about the human mindset.

McIlroy is a strange one though, he did best when he had just broken up with his ex's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

red ears wrote:
    McIlroy is a strange one though, he did best when he had just broken up with his ex's.

Understandable though. If i wanted to get far away from something fast I'd immerse myself in something else 100% to achieve that. Just so happens he's better at golf than me AND he can afford to :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

red ears wrote: »

listen wifey take the kids and feck off I need to get to single figures or at least win captains this year........what do you mean I am the greedy one😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I think it also suggests that these wealthy guys have big bullseye crosshairs on them by women. Top level golfers are always in demand. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I wish them a happy and healthy future, and hopefully he will go on to win loads, but I remember reading Seve's book and he described how getting married affected his game......he went, in his mind, from playing for the hell of it, to playing to support a family.....

.....saying that Rory, financially speaking, is in a much better place than Seve likely ever was, and has been well prepared for his success. Plus the fact that she knows the game at that level can only help.

Sounds like a promising partnership......

Rory McIlroy practices with TaylorMade driver, reports say deal is on the way
    Golf's newest newlywed, Rory McIlroy, appears to have a new TaylorMade driver in his bag in advance of this week's Players Championship.

On Sunday, he posted an Instagram video of himself swinging what appears to be TaylorMade's M2 driver. Before taking time off for his wedding, McIlroy had been playing Callaway's Epic Sub Zero driver. The game's ultimate free agent has been experimenting with various clubs since his former sponsor, Nike Golf, announced last summer it was exiting the equipment arena.

I think it would be massive for TaylorMade if that happens.

The M2 (interesting that it's not the M1) is very popular among the big name tour players. Rory was flying the flag for Callaway but if he switches over then it's pretty much a whitewash. I hear good things about both clubs but it seems that TM will win this driver battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Podge_H

When he played with the M2 in China last year he couldn't have spoken more highly of it, he said he was out driving Bubba and up there with DJ. I was surprised he then put the Callaway in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

He said he loved the 2016 M2 but i can't see him signing a deal and not using the newer 2017 model.

• Advertisement

red ears wrote: »
    He said he loved the 2016 M2 but i can't see him signing a deal and not using the newer 2017 model.

I'd say they'll do what they usually do in such circumstances.....'badge up' the club he wants to look like the club they want to sell, plus do lots of promos with him telling us how great the 2017 model is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Podge_H wrote: »
    When he played with the M2 in China last year he couldn't have spoken more highly of it, he said he was out driving Bubba and up there with DJ. I was surprised he then put the Callaway in the bag.
    Something about the Callaway working better with the Titleist ball I think.
    Jawgap wrote: »
    I'd say they'll do what they usually do in such circumstances.....'badge up' the club he wants to look like the club they want to sell, plus do lots of promos with him telling us how great the 2017 model is :)
    Saying he loved the 2016 model in 2016 doesn't exclude him also loving the 2017 model. :)

The real question is what irons he'll be using. He's been using Callaways as well as Vokey wedges. I wonder will he continue or will the TM deal include TM irons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The real question is what irons he'll be using. He's been using Callaways as well as Vokey wedges. I wonder will he continue or will the TM deal include TM irons.

I admire your ability to be interested in this stuff but it leaves me completely cold. The clubs Rory or any other top pro uses bear little relation to the retail versions. They are customised to the players' needs; the brand on them is a commercial matter.

It is even less relevant in helping the average Joe decide what to buy. Wearing the same colour hat is as likely to help.

First Up wrote: »
    I admire your ability to be interested in this stuff but it leaves me completely cold. The clubs Rory or any other top pro uses bear little relation to the retail versions. They are customised to the players' needs; the brand on them is a commercial matter.

It is even less relevant in helping the average Joe decide what to buy. Wearing the same colour hat is as likely to help.

I think it's a bit like F1 - some people are interested in the drivers and the drama, the teams, the politics of the sport etc......others are interested in the technology, the "Moneyball" stats etc

I'm never going to drive a 1000 bhp open wheel car, but it doesn't mean I can't be fascinated by what it makes go vroooooom :D ......or Scotty Cameron's thinking when he's designing a putter!

Jawgap wrote:
    I'm never going to drive a 1000 bhp open wheel car, but it doesn't mean I can't be fascinated by what it makes go vroooooom ......or Scotty Cameron's thinking when he's designing a putter!

Fair enough, although when a player fades a 5 iron around a tree and over a hazard to land softly a few feet from the pin, my first thought is not to wonder what was the kick point on shaft.

An interest in the technology is fine; I just despair for eejits who think buying the same brand as their hero makes sense.

Fair enough, although when a player fades a 5 iron around a tree and over a hazard to land softly a few feet from the pin, my first thought is not to wonder what was the kick point on shaft.

An interest in the technology is fine; I just despair for eejits who think buying the same brand as their hero makes sense.

Indeed, understanding it means recognising that its not for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I have asked before about this concept of a player playing one type of club but the branding suggesting it is a different model and have been told it's bull and doesn't happen.

There is enough difference between M2 driver from 2016 to 2017 and no amount of "badging up" could make them look the same without altering the performance.

Seve OB wrote: »
    I have asked before about this concept of a player playing one type of club but the branding suggesting it is a different model and have been told it's bull and doesn't happen.

There is enough difference between M2 driver from 2016 to 2017 and no amount of "badging up" could make them look the same without altering the performance.

Really? I thought there was a small but steady stream of examples through the 1990s into the 2000s of players apparently playing a manufacturer's irons (or prototypes) only it turned out they were Miura forgings?

....and weren't there questions about players in Nike's stable using an iron set that bore no resemblance to anything they had on sale, but Nike's answers were that they were prototypes (maybe they were).

I agree it's difficult to make a Ping driver from 2015 look like a Taylormade from 2017, but I would've thought Taylormade have the wherewithal to make a previous iteration of a driver look like a current one?

Whatever they do, I hope it works out well for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I'm not looking at it from an aveage Joe viewpoint. I'm just wondering what sort of deal he does with them.

That's of interest, purely from a commercial point of view. A bit like an F1 driver switching teams. In hindsight, Senna made some terrible decisions. Many say that Rory switching to Nike was an equally poor decision.

Is that not of interest?

btw, there's a big difference between the 2016 M1 and the 2017 M2. Afaik, the M1 had the sliding weights and the M2 doesn't.

Forgive my ignorance on this but how much different would a tour pro's driver be from a retail product, and in what specific areas?

For arguments sake let's allow for the fact that an average Joe gets a custom fit one.

• Advertisement

ligerdub wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance on this but how much different would a tour pro's driver be from a retail product, and in what specific areas?

For arguments sake let's allow for the fact that an average Joe gets a custom fit one.

They aren't any different. They may tinker with the weights you see screwed into them and the shaft. Otherwise same as Joes.

Seve OB wrote:
    They aren't any different. They may tinker with the weights you see screwed into them and the shaft. Otherwise same as Joes.

Try hitting one and tell me how it went.

It would be fully customised to within an inch of its life! A good fitting probably gets you about 80% of what a tour pro gets, but they'd also get access to a greater range of shafts, and a stiffness and kick point that matches their swing much more closely than the rest of us. Also there's probably more scope for changing weight distribution to a much more precise degree.

I think other stuff on wedges, such as a highly customised grind you could get done, but there might be a difference between the local pro grinding a wedge for you and someone from the company that produced the club.

Certain players may also enjoy something of an advantage if they were involved in the development of the club or in early prototyping.

Or maybe put it this way, I can go to McGuirk's, Fore Golf or somewhere similar and get a damn good fitting - then, maybe get some tweaks if I have the knowledge to understand the impact my clubs might be having on my game......

........the tour pros get the Titleist truck!

2011_2D00_pga_2D00_monday_2D00_20.jpg
    ....over 1,000 different shafts, 50 heads from each of its four iron ranges, as well as between 75 and 100 Vokey SM6 wedge heads.
    With spaces set aside for stamping on Titleist Vokey SM6 wedges, there are also machines to adjust the grinds on wedges to suit different playing conditions.

As well as that, there is a loft and lie gauge for the Scotty Cameron putters and drawer upon drawer of clubheads, shafts and grips.. It really is a golf gear heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

It depends on the manufacturer. I think Ping, for example, say that their retail and tour van stuff are one and the same. The tolerances will be slightly different insofar as if a driver from the tour van says 10 degrees it will probably actually be 10 degrees, as opposed to retail where it could be a degree or two either way.

If you look on the conforming lists of clubs you'll see how many versions of each driver are legal and approved for use. Taylormade have several versions of the M2 on the list for instance.

Try hitting one and tell me how it went.

Well I got an M2 head and can tell you it is exactly the same as what you buy in the shops. So yea the head is the same, but the pro's get the life customised out of it as others have said.

My customisation consisted of taking my R1 shaft and attaching to said M2 head :rolleyes: A visit is planned though to Fore golf for a customised shaft at some stage in the not to distant future.

Irons are a different story though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

He probably heard that I recently switched to the M2 myself :rolleyes:

Seve OB wrote:
    Well I got an M2 head and can tell you it is exactly the same as what you buy in the shops. So yea the head is the same, but the pro's get the life customised out of it as others have said.

The head is the head. The variation comes elsewhere.

I'm a firm believer in custom fitting and if someone is interested enough to want to fiddle with their equipment, then good luck to them. The point I'm making is that amateurs buying a club on the basis that some pro plays the same brand is close to the worst reason available.

The head is the head. The variation comes elsewhere.

I'm a firm believer in custom fitting and if someone is interested enough to want to fiddle with their equipment, then good luck to them. The point I'm making is that amateurs buying a club on the basis that some pro plays the same brand is close to the worst reason available.

which is what I said is it not?

I agree 10 fold on that. Think someone was spouting on about F1 earlier on but I didn't bother reading it, but yea, buying a club because Rory uses it means nothing, just like buying a Ferrari cause Michael Schumacher used to driver them ain't gonna make you anywhere near the driver he was

RoadRunner wrote: »
    He probably heard that I recently switched to the M2 myself :rolleyes:

and then he went mad at JP when he found out he gave me his one! :eek:

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    which is what I said is it not?

I agree 10 fold on that. Think someone was spouting on about F1 earlier on but I didn't bother reading it, but yea, buying a club because Rory uses it means nothing, just like buying a Ferrari cause Michael Schumacher used to driver them ain't gonna make you anywhere near the driver he was

Well that was me.....and the point being made wasn't that "you too can drive like Vettel" by strapping on a Ferrari, it was that some people are interested in the interpersonal dramas that permeate sport others are interested in that, but also the technological aspects.....

......if I drove a Ferrari I don't doubt I'd be in the kitty litter at the first corner, just like if I tried Rory's driver I'd be nowhere near the fairway......it doesn't mean a person can't be interested in the technology of the sport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement