Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

neddynasty wrote: »
    Think this post sums up this thread. No matter what McIlroy does someone will find fault with it. 

Having won 2 out of the 4 majors this year, Koepka was clearly going to win PGA player of the year. Should it just have been Koepka there at the awards on his own since no one else was going to win? McIlroy can't even go for a work night out now without it being questioned.

It was a genuine question, why was he there? Did he win another prize or What? He doesn't need to be there to cast a vote so was there some other reason? Can I not ask a simple question?
    Jumping the gun there big time, your post sums up more about this thread than mine does.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

it was quite clearly a smart arse comment

Seve OB wrote: »
    it was quite clearly a smart arse comment

It wasn't intended that way. Reads like it yeah, but meant it in jest. Stick to the stupid trousers, not comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It wasn't intended that way. Reads like it yeah, but meant it in jest. Stick to the stupid trousers, not comments.

stupid trousers won me a trip to Dubai :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Less of the personal attacks. Thanks

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    Less of the personal attacks. Thanks

Where did I attack the poster? I called his trousers stupid and his comment stupid, just as he called my comment a smartarse comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,969 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It was a genuine question, why was he there? Did he win another prize or What? He doesn't need to be there to cast a vote so was there some other reason? Can I not ask a simple question?
    Jumping the gun there big time, your post sums up more about this thread than mine does.
    It's hardly a big mystery. You don't go to awards dinners to get awards. I've been to the PPAI awards dinner and I'm not a press photographer. Everyone who goes to the Oscars isn't nominated for an Oscar. Despite your protestations, it does seem like you've an axe to grind. After I answered your question, you're now asking it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Peak Rors has come and gone unfortunately. A slow downwards trajectory from here I fear. Not sure he has reached the heights he should have. Would have loved him to.

That Sunday final pairing with Tiger was cringe to watch - Rory all starstruck and gooey eyed.

Was like watching a pro-am. Might as well have lobbed Bill Murray into the mix.

Poor effort. 2/10 :p

I was a big fan. So it is disappointing.

I have it on good authority that Rory has been secretly taking acting lessons over the last 18 months so don't be surprised if we see him focus on that going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Domo1982 wrote: »

I have it on good authority that Rory has been secretly taking acting lessons over the last 18 months so don't be surprised if we see him focus on that going forward.

he has been acting like a Pro Golfer for longer than 18 months! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's hardly a big mystery. You don't go to awards dinners to get awards. I've been to the PPAI awards dinner and I'm not a press photographer. Everyone who goes to the Oscars isn't nominated for an Oscar. Despite your protestations, it does seem like you've an axe to grind. After I answered your question, you're now asking it again.

Should just give it to Patrick Reed every year, that would end any issue with the audience.

GreeBo wrote: »

Debatable at times!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

GreeBo wrote: »
    Domo1982 wrote: »

Horrors would be his gig I'd say. The putting alone would have me hiding behind the couch

prawnsambo wrote: »

The only reason I asked again was to defend my post in the first place, I thanked your post as you gave a polite replyand answered my question, not inadvertently label me a smartarse. Am I not allowed to do so?
    I've no beef with Rory Mcilroy, when hes on there's no one I'd prefer watch.

The only reason I asked again was to defend my post in the first place, I thanked your post as you gave a polite replyand answered my question, not inadvertently label me a smartarse. Am I not allowed to do so?
    I've no beef with Rory Mcilroy, when hes on there's no one I'd prefer watch.
    Because you rephrased your question based on my response to you. But it was the same question. So you were either rejecting my response or ignoring it. Without actually saying why.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Fun's over and back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

BBC reporting that Rory will only play two events in Europe next year....and the Irish Open is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Ronney

BBC reporting that Rory will only play two events in Europe next year....and the Irish Open is not one of them.

Read that alright, find it hard to believe he would play the Scotish ahead of the Irish Open especially after all the work he put in to get it back up to the status of a top European event.

Always thought he should have played more of the early season PGA Tour events in California Area as they would suite his game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Ronney wrote: »
    Read that alright, find it hard to believe he would play the Scotish ahead of the Irish Open especially after all the work he put in to get it back up to the status of a top European event.

Always thought he should have played more of the early season PGA Tour events in California Area as they would suite his game

Indeed, especially with the Open Championship being held at Portrush next July. He may change his mind about this, for PR if not for purely golfing reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Ronney wrote: »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/46193189

As a Clare man I would be extremely disappointed, borderline angry if he didn't play in the Irish Open in Lahinch. As you said Ronney, for all the hard work he put in to make the Irish Open one of the more elite events on the European Tour, this would be a huge kick in the teeth for the Irish Open organizers, if he were to prioritize the Scottish Open ahead of Lahinch.

He even begged Keith Pelley to change around the date of the Irish Open to ensure the Irish Open and British Open to be played in consecutive weeks, if you lead to believe the rumours. If he does decide to skip Lahinch, it will give plenty of ammunition to the anti-Rory brigade about his allegiances and all that. But at the same time if a guy is not too keen to play Lahinch, then there is plenty of other good players that will play there. Hopefully Rory's decision is not a sign of things to come regarding field quality or lack of it for the Paul McGinley hosted event in July 2019.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Been reported on RTE Radio sports news just now that the Irish Open is on Rory`s schedule for 2019 so there seems to be some confusion over this.

The former world number one will miss the Middle East swing of tournaments at the start of 2019 but is expected to play the European Masters in Switzerland and will probably play in Scotland rather than Ireland immediately before next July's Open Championship.

Lazy journalism if you ask me. He had no concrete evidence and Rory has maintained before he will always play the Irish Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Been reported on RTE Radio sports news just now that the Irish Open is on Rory`s schedule for 2019 so there seems to be some confusion over this.

No confusion IMO its the bbc being consistently poor, its essentially the daily mail at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

RTE are reporting similar this morning, poor journalism making a lazy version of a potential story.
    The could add that rory is considering entering the MMA scene too, cause it is possible I guess

New schedule could see Rory McIlroy miss Irish Open

https://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2018/1114/1010794-new-schedule-could-see-rory-mcilroy-miss-irish-open/

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Wouldn't be the first time Rory has spoken without thinking of the fall out.

Sponsors obligation the reason he'd be in Switzerland is my guess.

On Scottish vs Irish Open might come down to playing a competitive round week before major.

Surprised he is missing Dubai and Abu Dhabi as easy money for just turning up to have a clinic.

His decisions at the end of the day but Euro Tour will suffer as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the first time Rory has spoken without thinking of the fall out.

Sponsors obligation the reason he'd be in Switzerland is my guess.

On Scottish vs Irish Open might come down to playing a competitive round week before major.

Surprised he is missing Dubai and Abu Dhabi as easy money for just turning up to have a clinic.

His decisions at the end of the day but Euro Tour will suffer as a result.

I see nothing in that peice where Rory mentioned not playing the Irish open.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Will ye read the article lads, he said he won’t be playing in Europe “for the first half of the season”
    It’s not a Ryder Cup year so he’s concentrating on PGA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

It's an absolute non story IMO that the papers are trying to turn into a Rory bashing session. If he said he was going to miss Lahinch well then it would have a bit more weight behind it just after the work he has put into the event over recent years but him deciding to play full time in America where he has set up home and where they do have the strongest fields really just makes sense.

It is where any player would be if you gave them a chance.

The Ryder Cup angle to the story was very poor journalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I wouldn't blame him, all the money and ranking points are in the US so it's a good career move. Surprised about the middle Eastern swing though, those courses suit him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement