Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Anyone else hear that Nike have cancelled his contract?

BIG EDIT: A mate was taking the p1ss with a text

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

I wonder is Paul Mcguinley worried about his fourm for the Ryder cup? He can't not pick him or can he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Gin77 wrote: »
    I wonder is Paul Mcguinley worried about his fourm for the Ryder cup? He can't not pick him or can he?

He can indeed not pick him. And shouldnt unless he improves dramatically. If it were on this year he would have been mad to pick him. But he would still make it on world ranking at the moment. That will disappear if the current form continues next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

I heard them rumours too, really really shocked, " Rory Mcilroy is getting lessons off Padraig Harrington

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Such a shame to see him last at 13 over at the BMW right now. He won this this time last year and was at the top of his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,410 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think his problem is this --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QLSwGvotas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

I think his problem is this --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QLSwGvotas

Yes, God forbid he might actually have a life away from golf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

we're not going to spread rumours around here now are we?!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Thing called love alright $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Spilt #2 looks a done deal.

Clean start for Rory now and back to winning ways next year.

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/rory-mcilroy-tells-devastated-caroline-the-relationship-is-over-29655621.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Keeping a relationship going is probably tough as a professional sports star as you're away for work 80/90% of your time. Now make it two professional sports stars and it'll be almost impossible.

Hopefully he can get his head straight next year and win another major. I actually quite like him and there's also the fact that he's a wonderful golfer to watch when he's flying.

I tend not take with a pinch of salt articles written with only anonymous sources. Also... Rory is going to spend up to 2 months in Asia? Really? I doubt it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    I tend not take with a pinch of salt articles written with only anonymous sources. Also... Rory is going to spend up to 2 months in Asia? Really? I doubt it.
    They breakup has been talked about for ages but he is in China for nearly 2 months. Playing two events and then an exhibition with Tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

It is believed the golfer views the fees charged by Horizon - said to be 7.5m euros (£6.4m) over an 18 month period - as excessive.

Surely he didn't sign up to Horizon NOT knowing what fees had to be paid !!
    Alot more to this story which we don't know me thinks !

They breakup has been talked about for ages but he is in China for nearly 2 months. Playing two events and then an exhibition with Tiger

Yeah i knew he was playing the exhibition and some events but presumed he would fly back to Europe/US in between. 2 months seems excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

statement from Horizon, sounds like this could drag on for a while

"Horizon Sports Management (“Horizon”) notes with disappointment Rory McIlroy’s decision to initiate legal action seeking to terminate his representation contract," the statement read.

"Since October 2011, under Horizon’s management, Rory McIlroy has signed some of the most lucrative endorsement contracts in sports history, in addition to achieving significant success on the golf course. Today, he is one of the world’s most highly remunerated sports people.

"In March 2013, he signed an extension to his representation contract up to 2017. Rory McIlroy has now announced that his business interests will be managed by Rory McIlroy Incorporated. As a consequence, he is in breach of the representation contract, into which he willingly entered.

"This legal action seeks to void his representation contract from its original date, recover fees already paid and avoid paying any further fees as stipulated by the agreement.

"Regrettably, this legal action has been taken despite Horizon’s efforts to reach an orderly and fair resolution.

"The claim will be defended vigorously and comprehensively in legal process.

"Horizon has confidence in its position. This confidence is underpinned by a legally binding contract and the clear evidence of the exceptional job done for Rory McIlroy by Horizon.

"We will always be proud of what Rory McIlroy and Horizon achieved together and we wish him well in his future golf career."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,710 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

You hear cases like this with Boxers and Rock stars over many years . Getting done over (as claimed)
    But it is a very short time to claim costs were excessive.
    He only signed with them. Youd imagine he had somebody go over contracts.
    Unusual this one.

Again . said it a while back. He just doesn't play enough golf for me. Way too young to be hanging around with Bono and Bill. Win everything for ten years then wind it back.
    Ok he has stuff going on . Some out of his control. His life has turned upside down in 2 years. Not easy.
    But thd difference with most lads his age in sport. (Top guys).
    They are totally involved and in sport. Maybe Rory is a new refreshing type who like balance. That is interesting. But at what stage is the ballance wrong. When your in Dublin for Arthurs day arguing over a contract you signed and in the papers more in living than sport.

Nice lad but.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

You hear cases like this with Boxers and Rock stars over many years . Getting done over (as claimed)
    But it is a very short time to claim costs were excessive.
    He only signed with them. Youd imagine he had somebody go over contracts.
    Unusual this one.

Who knows what went on but I guess the point of the management company is to manage your affairs so perhaps he didn't see the need to get someone to "Manage his management team", either way it seems this will all boil down to an out of court settlement!

ssbob wrote: »
    Who knows what went on but I guess the point of the management company is to manage your affairs so perhaps he didn't see the need to get someone to "Manage his management team", either way it seems this will all boil down to an out of court settlement!

'"Regrettably, this legal action has been taken despite Horizon’s efforts to reach an orderly and fair resolution."

think they tried that one ssbob, well horizon did anyway

• Advertisement

Yes - but.

I'm not great with money - but even I would talk with lads in work who are great about even car insurance. I guess that makes me ok with money.

Rory is a phone call away from the best minds in the country - very strange.

Anyway - all will come out.

Taking a guess - a % of a small amount is small - a % of a large amount is large.

Dbu wrote: »
    '"Regrettably, this legal action has been taken despite Horizon’s efforts to reach an orderly and fair resolution.

think they tried that one ssbob, well horizon did anyway

As you said that is just one side of the story! We don't know the facts of the case so its hard to say but very few of these go to full trial.

I think where things could get really messy is around the time of the Ryder Cup because if both GMAC and Rory are in the team, they have to be pulling for each other, but on the other hand with GMAC owning 25%(???) of Horizon then it will be quite awkward for McGinley on how to manage the situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

As you said that is just one side of the story! We don't know the facts of the case so its hard to say but very few of these go to full trial.

I think where things could get really messy is around the time of the Ryder Cup because if both GMAC and Rory are in the team, they have to be pulling for each other, but on the other hand with GMAC owning 25%(???) of Horizon then it will be quite awkward for McGinley on how to manage the situation!

Maybe mcginley can hire Rory mc management to help him deal with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Without knowing the in's and out's, I think I'd like to be in Horizons corner for this one.

There is no mention of Horizon overcharging, or not going by the contract, just that the fees are "excessive". That is a fairly "fluffy" basis for a legal action.

Yip Rory, they probably are excessive, but didn't you sign up to them? The fact that you've pulled plug on Horizon may make paying them over (or having paid them over already) a bitter pill to swallow........BUT.......... Are Nike going to counter sue you for paying out an excessive amount over to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Hopefully will be sorted before then (out of court most likely).

Would hate to see mates fall out over money; especially when both have more than they will ever need/ be able to spend.

TRS30 wrote: »

Would hate to see mates fall out over money; especially when both have more than they will ever need/ be able to spend.

partners and money is what friends fall out over - all in this.

From this article
    It is due to be listed for trial in October 2014 to fit in with McIlroy’s extensive travelling worldwide.

Doesn't look as if it will be sorted before the Ryder Cup if it stays in court!
    TRS30 wrote: »

in a solicitor’s office on the day of Horizon’s Christmas party “in circumstances of great informality”

Jeez barristers really talk some sh**e

Big difference from Darren Clarke and chubbys business relationship.
    Clarke said he has never asked Chubby how much commission he has made from him..ever..and had a gentlemans agreement sealed with a handshake, no contract on paper

• Advertisement

in a solicitor’s office on the day of Horizon’s Christmas party “in circumstances of great informality”

Jeez barristers really talk some sh**e

Big difference from Darren Clarke and chubbys business relationship.
    Clarke said he has never asked Chubby how much commission he has made from him..ever..and had a gentlemans agreement sealed with a handshake, no contract on paper

Well I wouldn't be doing that with Chubby. I don't think anybody should with that much involved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement