Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Opinions on players / golf etc are most welcome here, slandering a person by childish name calling is not. This will not be tolerated and next time it’s a permanent ban from the golf forum

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I never get the only 1 2 players in the top x shot over par,

All the others who started inside the top 10 on the day are much worse off after shooting over par, it stands to reason most players who finish in the top 10 shot under par on the last day. it just shows how well he played the other days.

thats not to try excuse his last round, i just find it a odd criticism

It’s hard to win when everyone else near the top is under par, and you are over for the final day. Also, gives an indication that versus the course, a significant majority shot under par.

Just aa scores like his -8 on Saturday look fantastic when compared to the high quality field, his Sunday score looks relatively poor by the same comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

s
    I never get the only 1 2 players in the top x shot over par,

All the others who started inside the top 10 on the day are much worse off after shooting over par, it stands to reason most players who finish in the top 10 shot under par on the last day. it just shows how well he played the other days.

thats not to try excuse his last round, i just find it a odd criticism

Are they not talking about players who were in the top X going into the final round, rather than those who ended up in the top X?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

He needs a Munster rugby team from before they won their first European cup, or victim type mentality....they said I couldn't do it, that I lost it, that I dont have the bottle. Face his fears or detractors, or shortcomings, head on, rather than ****e on about this that and the other every week, saying nothing, or contradicting yourself constantly. There is a problem with nerves/pressure/expectation, he should call it out rather than be asked about it all the time and try to gloss over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

I think the caddie thing is a bit of a red herring to be honest. Plenty of top players have caddies with completely random backgrounds. The player needs to be happy and some players react differently to a kick up the hole or an arm around the shoulder. If you're hitting a hook for some unknown reason on a given day, I'd imagine the last thing you want to hear is some caddie telling you to get the finger out. The player will be well aware he needs to hit better shots. That said, I certainly wouldn't object to seeing a grizzled old veteran on his bag.

On Sky last night they were talking about player caddie relationships and Beem mentioned that, in general, the trend in the US is for the relationships to be more long term whereas he noticed in Europe that caddies/players chop and change much more often.

Rory does need to see if he can do something about how he deals with pressure situations against "hard ba$tards" who won't give an inch. Who knows, maybe he won't be able to and will always be that incredibly talented player who, on a week he's hot, is unbeatable, and manages to win twice a season almost despite himself. He just needs to be lucky enough that those hot weeks coincide with a major rather than the Canadian Open.

I'm a huge fan of his but you'd have to say if Rory and Brooks went head to head (in something that mattered) another 10 times, I'd pick Koepka to win 8 of them. I'd love to see him get back to the player he was when he won at Kiawah in very windy conditions and dominated Tiger in R3.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of his but you'd have to say if Rory and Brooks went head to head (in something that mattered) another 10 times, I'd pick Koepka to win 8 of them.

and I think Brooks would lose the other two rather than Rory win them!

It's in danger of becoming a sad tale really, I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he just stopped playing before too long, unless something happens to spur him on.

Must be very hard to keep up the motivation go out and practice and do all the media crap when you could just live your life with your millions.

Maybe he needs to have a kid!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'd be the last man to attribute a label to a golfer. We all know how mad this game can be. But there seems to be a worrying trend developing for Rory. When put under the gun, 'today you need to do it', he seems to lose his mojo or whatever you wanna call it. When the pressure is less, because its a smaller event or he is more or less out of it because of a bad day 1 or 2, then he performs like he genius. But when put under the spotlight and it actually matters - real pressure if you like - he cant seem to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Look at the difference and change of caddie has made to Shane Lowry.

I’d have to disagree with the posters who downplay the importance of good caddies, some need them more than others. Though Mcilroy defended JP at times by saying having a friend on tour is more important than a caddy, I think to curb his natural instinct to always go for the pin rather than play safe when it is called for, he needs a caddy more than a friend.

Shane and Bo know each other for years, but on the 14 on Saturday when Lowry was in the rough, it was Bo who told him what needed to be done, play the percentage low shot up the left rather than the high draw.

Mcilroy’s been on tour since he was a teenager, he has a strong personality and he calls the shots off and on course, maybe it is now too late for him to take advice when he needs it. He needs a caddy more than he needs a friend right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

GreeBo wrote: »
    and I think Brooks would lose the other two rather than Rory win them!

It's in danger of becoming a sad tale really, I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he just stopped playing before too long, unless something happens to spur him on.

Must be very hard to keep up the motivation go out and practice and do all the media crap when you could just live your life with your millions.

Maybe he needs to have a kid!:o

He has improved all aspects of his game this year, multiple winner including the Players, 2nd behind the hottest player in world golf in the fedex, up to 3rd in the world.

Yes he will be judged on majors and the Open was certainly a massive disappointment but to say he will just stop playing the game?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Remind me wrote: »
    He has improved all aspects of his game this year, multiple winner including the Players, 2nd behind the hottest player in world golf in the fedex, up to 3rd in the world.

Yes he will be judged on majors and the Open was certainly a massive disappointment but to say he will just stop playing the game?!

THIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

With the exception of Koepka he is probably the best player on tour this season. I understand the importance of majors, but just because you aren't winning them doesn't make you a failure. Justin Rose had had an incredible last five years, but only one major in that time, DJ is the same. I'm sure Rory is incredibly frustrated, especially with the disastrous start in Portrush but it's not all doom and gloom either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

seanl77 wrote: »
    With the exception of Koepka he is probably the best player on tour this season. I understand the importance of majors, but just because you aren't winning them doesn't make you a failure. Justin Rose had had an incredible last five years, but only one major in that time, DJ is the same. I'm sure Rory is incredibly frustrated, especially with the disastrous start in Portrush but it's not all doom and gloom either.

No probably, according to the Official Golf Rankings Koepka is #1 with 355points gained this season, Rory a distant second at 294points followed by DJ and a certain Mr Shane Lowry in 4th!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The difference between his Saturday and Sunday rounds was massive. I wonder if Brooks outdriving him was a a factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

slave1 wrote: »
    No probably, according to the Official Golf Rankings Koepka is #1 with 355points gained this season, Rory a distant second at 294points followed by DJ and a certain Mr Shane Lowry in 4th!!!

So he is second..... Behind the most in form golfer in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Rory is the best player in the world when playing with no pressure on his shoulders and favourable conditions. Stick some pressure on him and he crumbles. You can almost set your clock each April by the masters articles with his latest stunt for how hes going to treat it this year to win the grand slam. Getting there on the monday or the tuesday, playing week before or not playing week before, hyping it up or treating it like another tournament. No matter what he does until he employs the services of a certified sports psychologist i cannot see him winning a major again.

He is is own worst enemy in terms of his mind and the expectation/pressure he puts on himself. Its tragic to watch as he is so naturally gifted.

The guys on off the ball had some stat about his sunday scoring this year that underlined the point that when the pressure is on, he crumbles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

RedorDead wrote: »
    Rory is the best player in the world when playing with no pressure on his shoulders and favourable conditions. Stick some pressure on him and he crumbles. You can almost set your clock each April by the masters articles with his latest stunt for how hes going to treat it this year to win the grand slam. Getting there on the monday or the tuesday, playing week before or not playing week before, hyping it up or treating it like another tournament. No matter what he does until he employs the services of a certified sports psychologist i cannot see him winning a major again.

He is is own worst enemy in terms of his mind and the expectation/pressure he puts on himself. Its tragic to watch as he is so naturally gifted.

The guys on off the ball had some stat about his sunday scoring this year that underlined the point that when the pressure is on, he crumbles.

He does have one I believe as part of his team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I think its a combination of the unmeasurables that he needs.

Rory has his buddy carrying his clubs. By all accounts he was a good golfer in his own right but that doesn't make a caddy. They don't appear to be in sync. Last night Rory missed on 18, didnt matter because it was over. He walked to the right of the green and sighed and took off the hat. Obviously quite annoyed with the final round. In the same instance Harry was over chatting to Brooks caddy and the two of them were having a fine old chuckle. I'm not saying he can't chat or whatever but in that moment it didnt look right.

I think Rory needs to be controlled on a course. Whether he has been in his life to this point doesn't matter. He needs the guy to say "ya you can hit that 230 into the wind and rain over the water but maybe just lay it up to 110 and take a gap wedge in and we get out of the rain".

As mentioned also he needs some help on the mindset of the game. Standing on the first in Portrush should have been why he plays the game. Not a moment that makes you physically crumble. Easier said than done.

Iang87 wrote: »
    In the same instance Harry was over chatting to Brooks caddy and the two of them were having a fine old chuckle. I'm not saying he can't chat or whatever but in that moment it didnt look right.
    QUOTE]

I can see the point you're making, but at that stage the tournament was over, no point in not talking or sulking. Plus Koepka's caddie is also from Northern Ireland, and I think I've read was a good golfer, so they probably know each other.
    These guys will be working together for the next 15 years or so, no harm in getting on.

The difference between his Saturday and Sunday rounds was massive. I wonder if Brooks outdriving him was a a factor?

Was he?

A lot of fairway woods being hit and Rory was well ahead of Brooks with most from what I saw.

• Advertisement

Remind me wrote: »
    Was he?

A lot of fairway woods being hit and Rory was well ahead of Brooks with most from what I saw.

Ya, commentators remarked that even though he may be physically smaller, Mcilroy was often outdriving Keopke and is one of the few capable of doing so.

I can see the point you're making, but at that stage the tournament was over, no point in not talking or sulking. Plus Koepka's caddie is also from Northern Ireland, and I think I've read was a good golfer, so they probably know each other.
    These guys will be working together for the next 15 years or so, no harm in getting on.
    "Show me someone who isn't bothered by losing and I'll show you a loser." springs to mind though.
    I cant say for certain but the likes of Koepka, Poulter, Faldo, Woods are never happy when they are losing. (Tiger has changed this over the years, but his career is going one way these days...)

Iang87 wrote: »
    He needs the guy to say "ya you can hit that 230 into the wind and rain over the water but maybe just lay it up to 110 and take a gap wedge in and we get out of the rain".
    As long as that gap wedge doesnt also end up in the drink of course!

I dont think Rory can play golf that way, or maybe just doesnt want to.

GreeBo wrote: »
    "Show me someone who isn't bothered by losing and I'll show you a loser." springs to mind though.
    I cant say for certain but the likes of Koepka, Poulter, Faldo, Woods are never happy when they are losing. (Tiger has changed this over the years, but his career is going one way these days...)

I take that point alright, but equally you can be bothered by losing and still talk to people. Being bothered by losing doesn't equal being an ignorant d1ck IMO.

Please don't include Poulter on a list of champions like that though :D:D

I think it was obvious by his demeanour on 18 that Rory was upset/disappointed/frustrated the way things turned out.

Same caddy as was there for Rory's big win in The Players and then again in Canada.
    Poor caddy life, nothing said when Rory win's or plays well but a contributing factor when he plays bad.
    The same caddy was there Saturday when Rory had his 62.

At the end of the day the buck stops with the player, caddy never takes a shot

slave1 wrote: »
    Same caddy as was there for Rory's big win in The Players and then again in Canada.
    Poor caddy life, nothing said when Rory win's or plays well but a contributing factor when he plays bad.
    The same caddy was there Saturday when Rory had his 62.

At the end of the day the buck stops with the player, caddy never takes a shot

Do you not think that it is when he is under pressure or stressed that he would benefit from an experienced professional caddy?

From playing a lot with a former tour player, his opinion is they are there to carry your bag when you don’t need them, and there to advise you when you do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Dav010 wrote: »
    Do you not think that it is when he is under pressure or stressed that he would benefit from an experienced professional caddy?

From playing a lot with a former tour player, his opinion is they are there to carry your bag when you don’t need them, and there to advise you when you do.

Flip that question on its head and do you think with a well experienced caddy that Rory would be a more consistent wedge player or putter?

What constitutes a ‘proper caddy’ DJ has his brother, Sergio his brother, Spieth an old school teacher.

Ronan Flood got slated in many quarters but went on to caddy in 3 major victories.

Dav010 wrote: »

I don't think that a professional caddy is a thing, it's something that needs to be done and it's done by guys who were generally well into the golf scene.

Do you not think Rory was under pressure or stressed during his 72 holes in The Players or in Canada, same caddy....

Keano wrote: »
    Flip that question on its head and do you think with a well experienced caddy that Rory would be a more consistent wedge player or putter?

I honestly don’t, unless you have a caddy who is really good at reading greens. I think the benefit is as a detached sounding board who might tell you things you don’t want to here, or calm you down when you are getting tight.

There is a famous story about Faldo, a notoriously strong character who was starting to lose the plot on the final few holes of a major, Fanny, his caddy, asked him if he ever considered getting a dog, for the next couple of holes all they talked about was dogs, he credits her with helping him win. Only a detached, strong personality like Fanny could do that without risking the wrath or ridicule of the pro.

What struck me last night was how close both were on the fairways and even on the greens, but Keopke would bend down, have a quick look and then bury the putt, without any tension or doubt.

• Advertisement

I take that point alright, but equally you can be bothered by losing and still talk to people. Being bothered by losing doesn't equal being an ignorant d1ck IMO.

Please don't include Poulter on a list of champions like that though :D:D

I think it was obvious by his demeanour on 18 that Rory was upset/disappointed/frustrated the way things turned out.

I did second guess adding poulter, but you can't knock him for mental toughness imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement