Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Pogue eile wrote: »
    :D:D yeah that's an accurate summary of this game lol

You are correct of course, we could talk about his woeful putting, poor decision making, ropey wedge play etc. But a lot of the time his length off the tee and laser like long irons compensate for those short comings. Problem now is that there are lots of big hitters on tour who bomb the ball off the tee and reach par 5s in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Dav010 wrote: »
    You are correct of course, we could talk about his woeful putting, poor decision making, ropey wedge play etc. But a lot of the time his length off the tee and laser like long irons compensate for those short comings. Problem now is that there are lots of big hitters on tour who bomb the ball off the tee and reach par 5s in two.

Golf must be in an awful state so if he has all those shortcomings and is still ranked no. 2 in the world, current Fed Ex cup holder and no. 5 in this years rankings.

Interesting to know what the 'etc.' refers to as well, you obviously have a very long list?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Golf must be in an awful state so if he has all those shortcomings and is still ranked no. 2 in the world, current Fed Ex cup holder and no. 5 in this years rankings.

Interesting to know what the 'etc.' refers to as well, you obviously have a very long list?

He's just woeful altogether. He should get a lesson.

To be honest, I find replying to your posts difficult, but I’ll have a go. You said his A game is untouchable, it isnt, many players can now he the ball as far and further. Where once he compensated for shortcomings in other aspects of his game by the fact that he scored better on par 5s than anyone else, now with the lengths other players hit the ball, that isn’t as big an advantage as it used to be. Yes he was No 1, because he is obviously one of the best players in the world, but the last couple of weeks have shown that being a huge hitter is not in itself good enough when the likes of Rahm, Keopke, DeChambeau drive just as far.

In short, his A game is not untouchable, and he now has to bring his A game to win.

To be honest, I find replying to your posts difficult, but I’ll have a go. You said his A game is untouchable, it isnt, many players can now he the ball as far and further. Where once he compensated for shortcomings in other aspects of his game by the fact that he scored better on par 5s than anyone else, now with the lengths other players hit the ball, that isn’t as big an advantage as it used to be. Yes he was No 1, because he is obviously one of the best players in the world, but the last couple of weeks have shown that being a huge hitter is not in itself good enough when the likes of Rahm, Keopke, DeChambeau drive just as far.

In short, his A game is not untouchable, and he now has to bring his A game to win.

You are all over the place man, make up your mind!

One would think with over 250 posts in this thread alone slating MicIllroy that you have all the answers.

Your clear and obvious hatred of the man is pathetic to be quite frank and is clearly a personality issue as opposed to his golf game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

Just like some people over play how good he is, you really like to over play his shortcomings. He won 4 times last year ffs, against all of those people who can hit it as far and further than him.

OEP wrote: »
    Just like some people over play how good he is, you really like to over play his shortcomings. He won 4 times last year ffs, against all of those people who can hit it as far and further than him.

His shortcomings are there to see, and be commented on. Lets look at it another way, if McIlroy was a short/average hitter of the ball, would the rest of his game be good enough to get to number 1? His length off the tee gave him an advantage, that advantage is now smaller because a lot of other players hit the ball just as far. You can see that he is still hitting the ball as far as he was last year but others have caught him. Other parts of his game, and decision making have cost him recently, hence why he is no longer No1.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Sergio in Spawell would fix him!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

His shortcomings are there to see, and be commented on. Lets look at it another way, if McIlroy was a short/average hitter of the ball, would the rest of his game be good enough to get to number 1? His length off the tee gave him an advantage, that advantage is now smaller because a lot of other players hit the ball just as far. You can see that he is still hitting the ball as far as he was last year but others have caught him. Other parts of his game, and decision making have cost him recently, hence why he is no longer No1.

Have to disagree here, yes he had distance but he drove it far AND he was accurate when in full flow. Others haven't caught up to him in that regard....yet

tbayers wrote: »
    Have to disagree here, yes he had distance but he drove it far AND he was accurate when in full flow. Others haven't caught up to him in that regard....yet

Actually his driving accuracy stats aren’t great, he was 104th on the PGA tour last year, currently 150th, he is currently 5th in terms of distance.

A quick look down the distance stats show most of the top guys are within 20 yards.

• Advertisement

I’m pretty sure he gets coaching from Michael Bannon, or at least he used to. I’d say most top golfers still get coaching even though they are professionals and the best players in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I think Rory should just call it a day its not going to get much better for him.

etxp wrote: »
    I think Rory should just call it a day its not going to get much better for him.

He turned 31 in May, miles past it. And recently tumbled to number two in the world, hasn't a prayer of staying competitive.

He turned 31 in May, miles past it. And recently tumbled to number two in the world, hasn't a prayer of staying competitive.

But but he hits the ball really far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

His last 4 starts have been useless. With his talent he should be in the Top 1 every week.

etxp wrote: »
    His last 4 starts have been useless. With his talent he should be in the Top 1 every week.

Clearly he is passed it and should move into commentary on sky sports with Rich Beem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Clearly he is passed it and should move into commentary on sky sports with Rich Beem.

I dont think that true at all and reckon he has 2-3 more good years in him which gives a decent chance of turning it around and still gunning for a major or two. Hes in the risk zone for decline at that age all right but dont thing that his problem at the moment. It does become more and more difficult to get it back though.

I dont think that true at all and reckon he has 2-3 more good years in him which gives a decent chance of turning it around and still gunning for a major or two. Hes in the risk zone for decline at that age all right but dont thing that his problem at the moment. It does become more and more difficult to get it back though.

This reads like he is 41 years old rather than the 31 that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

It’s not just this year that guys have caught up with him . For four or fives years now a fair few guys have been as long if not longer . JT, Rahm, Bubba, JB Holmes , koepka, Dustin Johnson to name a few off the top of my head . It didn’t stop him going from 8 th in the world to no 1 . If he has shortcomings in other parts of his game then these other guys shortcomings are worse

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

His shortcomings are there to see, and be commented on. Lets look at it another way, if McIlroy was a short/average hitter of the ball, would the rest of his game be good enough to get to number 1

But he’s not, is he?

If Tiger was a **** putter, would he have dominated golf for a decade?

Irrelevant, because he was a great putter, same way it’s irrelevant saying what if Rory didn’t hit it far. Ludicrous argument, frankly.

• Advertisement

rooney30 wrote: »
    It’s not just this year that guys have caught up with him . For four or fives years now a fair few guys have been as long if not longer . JT, Rahm, Bubba, JB Holmes , koepka, Dustin Johnson to name a few off the top of my head . It didn’t stop him going from 8 th in the world to no 1 . If he has shortcomings in other parts of his game then these other guys shortcomings are worse

Yip, that’s a fair point, and if this thread was about any one of them, we could give an opinion about him, but as it’s about Rory McIlroy, we are kinda restricted.

Yip, that’s a fair point, and if this thread was about any one of them, we could give an opinion about him, but as it’s about Rory McIlroy, we are kinda restricted.

You mentioned half of them on the previous page, did you not? But now they’re not to be mentioned because your point was shown up for what it was?

fullstop wrote: »
    You mentioned half of them on the previous page, did you not? But now they’re not to be mentioned because your point was shown up for what it was?

What? I have no idea what this means. I responded to Rooney’s post, if you want to discuss other players short comings, crack on, I’m happy to join in, but I’m not sure that loads of posts specifically about other golfers will be appreciated on this thread about Rory McIlroy.

What? I have no idea what this means. I responded to Rooney’s post, if you want to discuss other players short comings, crack on, I’m happy to join in, but I’m not sure that loads of posts specifically about other golfers will be appreciated on this thread about Rory McIlroy.
    You cited Rahm, DeChambeau and Keopke (sp) being able to hit the ball as far as McIlroy as part of the reason he’s not world #1 anymore, but as was rightly pointed out, they’ve been hitting the ball as far as him for quite some time, but it didn’t stop him winning 4 times last year and getting to #1.
    You then changed tack and said this thread is about McIlroy and not the other lads.

fullstop wrote: »
    You cited Rahm, DeChambeau and Keopke (sp) being able to hit the ball as far as McIlroy as part of the reason he’s not world #1 anymore, but as was rightly pointed out, they’ve been hitting the ball as far as him for quite some time, but it didn’t stop him winning 4 times last year and getting to #1.
    You then changed tack and said this thread is about McIlroy and not the other lads.

Fullstop, I’m happy for this thread to be about whoever you want it to be about. Lead on, I’ll chime in.

McIlroy has played consistently well for a year, less so over the last couple of months when his short game and decision making has let him down. This isn’t my opinion alone, he has said it himself in interviews. When his driving is good but the rest isn’t firing, his driving and long irons aren’t the saving graces they used to be, because others are just as long or even longer. Another poster said on his A game, he is untouchable, his A game isn’t there are the moment so he hasn’t been in the top 10 since the break, that is the point Game of Golf was making, and that I translated for Rooney.

If you look at the major winners for the last couple of years, most are pretty big hitters too, surprisingly, Spieth is averaging only 11 yards less than McIlroy off the tee now, for some reason I had it in my mind that he was one of the shorter hitters in the top echelons of the Tour, but as you know his game has dropped off a bit since 2015 level. There you go. ðŸ˜

Nobody on this forum is in denial that mcilroys game does not have weaknesses . Every golfers game has , if they didn’t they would win every week . Tiger dominated for years , he was wayward off the tee. Spieth dominated for 18 months to 2 years , . Relatively short off the tee, a bit wayward and quite loose with his irons . What gets people’s goat on this thread ( me included ) is the level of exaggeration of Mcilroys weaknesses. A sense of perspective is required given what he has achieved in the game these past few years From reading some posters , and ye know who ye are , you’d think that all Mcilroy is good for is , striping it down the middle and not much else .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

striping it down the middle and not much else .

In a way that a good summary off him to be fair. Sure he can get other stuff right but its more intermitent than some others but its not just his lengt, when he playing his best its his combination of really long driving yet still splitting the fair way which is totally different thing to the Bryson thing. Of course the rest of Rorys game is top top level since he a world great golfer but relative to other in the top 10 at any time and to other multy major winners the rest of his game is patch. Add to that a dodgy mental thing which ramps up at majors and you can see why hes a lad that sure looks at times like he should be a 8-10 major level guy but a bumbled the last 5 years which were his prime and will do well now, perfectly possible mind, to get one or two more. Itl still be a great carear.

Nobody on this forum is in denial that mcilroys game does not have weaknesses . Every golfers game has , if they didn’t they would win every week . Tiger dominated for years , he was wayward off the tee. Spieth dominated for 18 months to 2 years , . Relatively short off the tee, a bit wayward and quite loose with his irons . What gets people’s goat on this thread ( me included ) is the level of exaggeration of Mcilroys weaknesses. A sense of perspective is required given what he has achieved in the game these past few years From reading some posters , and ye know who ye are , you’d think that all Mcilroy is good for is , striping it down the middle and not much else .

We all have our opinions. I really don’t get why posts turn spikey when others are critical of his performance, it’s just an opinion. It’s pretty easy and quick to find quotes and interviews where McIlroy has acknowledged his weaknesses, and you can just look up the PGA Tour site to see the stats. The comments focus on McIlroy because it is a thread about him, with occasional references to other golfers for comparison. Striking it off the tee is what he does best, up to recently he was generally acknowledged as the best driver of the ball, but now other top golfers are up there with him and if their short game is better, they will be challenging on Sundays, unless his improves, he won’t. But he has had a great career to date with purple patches in 12-14 and 19-early 20.

In a way that a good summary off him to be fair. Sure he can get other stuff right but its more intermitent than some others but its not just his lengt, when he playing his best its his combination of really long driving yet still splitting the fair way which is totally different thing to the Bryson thing. Of course the rest of Rorys game is top top level since he a world great golfer but relative to other in the top 10 at any time and to other multy major winners the rest of his game is patch. Add to that a dodgy mental thing which ramps up at majors and you can see why hes a lad that sure looks at times like he should be a 8-10 major level guy but a bumbled the last 5 years which were his prime and will do well now, perfectly possible mind, to get one or two more. Itl still be a great carear.

I’m not sure who these other top 10 players are , that far exceed Mcilroy in other aspects of the game ?

• Advertisement

I’m not sure who these other top 10 players are , that far exceed Mcilroy in other aspects of the game ?

Haven’t you heard? Bryson hits it past him and will dominate for the next 10 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement