Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

fullstop wrote: »
    Haven’t you heard? Bryson hits it past him and will dominate for the next 10 years.

If he maintains his current rate of improvement, he is certainly going to be near the top for a long time to come, but I doubt he will dominate for 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Dav010 wrote: »
    If he maintains his current rate of improvement, he is certainly going to be near the top for a long time to come, but I doubt he will dominate for 10 years.

I doubt he will dominate for a year never mind 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

fullstop wrote: »
    Haven’t you heard? Bryson hits it past him and will dominate for the next 10 years.

Haven't you heard? He missed the cut last week, so he's yesterday's news now. Only 1 or 2 good years left in him.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Haven't you heard? He missed the cut last week, so he's yesterday's news now. Only 1 or 2 good years left in him.

He’s 26 so providing he stays fit he should have quite a bit to go. I have a feeling Bryson DeChambeau will never be yesterday’s news for a variety of reasons, he is quite a unique player and personality. The complete brain fart 10 on the 15th had a huge baring on his missed cut. But I wouldn’t be as quick as you to right him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

I think Rory is a phenomenal player but his results dont remotely match his talent. He hasnt won a major since 2014? He and his fans will be very disappointed and confused by that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Grey Fox wrote: »
    I think Rory is a phenomenal player but his results dont remotely match his talent. He hasnt won a major since 2014? He and his fans will be very disappointed and confused by that.

His results do match his talents. His major count is low, no one in here would disagree with that but his detractors forget about everything outside of majors.

Keano wrote: »
    His results do match his talents. His major count is low, no one in here would disagree with that but his detractors forget about everything outside of majors.

Not so Keano. And whether you like it or not, majors are the currency top golfers deal in, I would have opinions on him which do not relate solely to his majors performance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not so Keano. And whether you like it or not, majors are the currency top golfers deal in, I would have opinions on him which do not relate solely to his majors performance.

Should he have won more majors, course he should have but to argue about his record outside of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Grey Fox

No doubt he's consistent, but he wins far less than he should even outside the majors. Early last year Paul McGinley said it was the best he'd ever seen McIlroy play (a huge claim given what we'd seen of Rory up to that point). He won once during this time. He just doesnt have the ruthless killer instinct to maximise his gifts.

Yea only Majors matter. that's why Monty is and always will be ****e!!!! :confused:

• Advertisement

etxp wrote: »
    Yea only Majors matter. that's why Monty is and always will be ****e!!!! :confused:

Fantastic player Monty, he had a great career, I don’t know why you would think it is/was “***e!!!”, I think that is very harsh. But ya, the fact that he never won a major means he may not get the credit his career deserves.

Should he have won more majors, course he should have but to argue about his record outside of them?

He went through a couple of fallow years there Keano before getting the W’s going again in 2019. He has a good record of winning, I’d say outside of Woods it’s better than virtually anyone playing, I think it’s about 10% after the 4 wins last year, but at the same time, c’mon, how does the number 1 golfer struggle to hit a green with a wedge or bomb so often?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Should have won more majors no doubt but 4 is still excellent, more than any other Irish man and only 1 behind Seve and 2 behind Faldo. Fancy him to sneak ahead of those 2 before he packs it in.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He went through a couple of fallow years there Keano before getting the W’s going again in 2019. He has a good record of winning, I’d say outside of Woods it’s better than virtually anyone playing, I think it’s about 10% after the 4 wins last year, but at the same time, c’mon, how does the number 1 golfer struggle to hit a green with a wedge or bomb so often?

Everyone has their weaknesses and his is his short game yet he has managed to become number 1 in the world twice now. Everyone lauded Jordan Speith’s putting... he’s not even in the top 50 now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Everyone has their weaknesses and his is his short game yet he has managed to become number 1 in the world twice now. Everyone lauded Jordan Speith’s putting... he’s not even in the top 50 now!

I think that's because his tee positions are just soooo good.
    I keep thinking back to when he won the Irish Open and his putts per round was something like 34, such bad putting but he was on fire off the tee and it over compensated for his green play

• Registered Users Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I wouldn't have put his entire short game as a weakness though, haven't checked any stats but always thought his pitching and bunker play was top notch. Putting and wedge play definitely an issue though.

AdamD wrote: »
    I wouldn't have put his entire short game as a weakness though, haven't checked any stats but always thought his pitching and bunker play was top notch. Putting and wedge play definitely an issue though.

Whats the difference between pitching and wedge play?

He is consistently top 20 on tour on around the green strokes gained, which is every shot within 30 yards of the Green, so the stats confirm your opinion of his pitching, chipping, bunker play etc being top notch.

I think there was a discussion about this earlier, but no definitive description of both. He is top of the class in one section, 125 to 150yrds, and wears a pointy hat with “D” on it is just about every other sector inside that.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭rooney30

I would tend to agree with this . It’s a much overlooked and underrated part of his game . His bunker play is excellent , From what I see, he almost always gets it close chipping and pitching around the green .
    Wedge play of course has been a big weakness .
    Putting? He certainly is streaky and does miss more short ones than he should. Are there any truly great putters in the worlds top 10 now though ? Certainly none in tigers class , or spieth when he was firing a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think there was a discussion about this earlier, but no definitive description of both. He is top of the class in one section, 125 to 150yrds, and wears a pointy hat with “D” on it is just about every other sector inside that.
    I would have said pitching is around the greens and wedge play is more full shots from 50+ yards

I would have said pitching is around the greens and wedge play is more full shots from 50+ yards

Ya, it’s a matter of opinion, personally when I looked, I couldn’t find a golfing definition that gave yardage. But pros typically use a pitching wedge from 150 yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Rory not on his game tonight. Maybe his mind is on next week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Lucky no cut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Mcilroy playing much better today

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Mcilroy playing much better today

Terrible/good/bad/?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Terrible/good/bad/?

Pretty much. Looking at his shots on the tracker he was very wild. Before the break he was playing 3 good and 1 bad round every week which was getting him high finishes but couldn’t put a full week together and get a win. He seems a lot further away from a win at the moment going into the big part of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭abff

tobsey wrote: »
    Pretty much. Looking at his shots on the tracker he was very wild. Before the break he was playing 3 good and 1 bad round every week which was getting him high finishes but couldn’t put a full week together and get a win. He seems a lot further away from a win at the moment going into the big part of the season.

I wouldn't be surprised if he turned things around completely next week in the PGA. Golf can be a funny old game sometimes.

abff wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if he turned things around completely next week in the PGA. Golf can be a funny old game sometimes.

Going to a course you have had success on can change the mindset.

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »

It would hardly be a shock if he misses the cut though, the consistency he had pre-lockdown seems to have deserted him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement