Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Going to a course you have had success on can change the mindset.

Portrush comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think we're grasping at straws if we think a course will sort out his issues. More parts of his game are misfiring each week, and everything seems to be going in the wrong direction. He's miles from a win, especially considering how many elite players are playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Dav010 wrote: »
    Portrush comes to mind.

Does it? Cos he had success there when he was 15? You're reaching a bit there Dave. Even more than usual.

Does it? Cos he had success there when he was 15? You're reaching a bit there Dave. Even more than usual.

Could he know a course better and feel more comfortable? I know they changed a few holes for the Open, but for a long time he held the course record, I’d say he had some success there. I think you reached a bit yourself that he can change his mindset just like that cause of a previous “success” what was it, five years ago?

Could he know a course better and feel more comfortable? I know they changed a few holes for the Open, but for a long time he held the course record, I’d say he had some success there. I think you reached a bit yourself that he can change his mindset just like that cause of a previous “success” what was it, five years ago?

If you read my post properly you will see that I never suggested that any success will happen, simply that players returning to courses that they have had some success on can help them find a missing spark sometimes. The memories of victory flood back.

Using an amateur tournament from when a player was 15 years old as an example as to why you think I'm wrong is just trying to be argumentative for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Rory had plenty to say about Tommy Fleetwood, ruining his game sitting back home due to Covid.

Ironically, he is out there this week, paired together final Round and Tommy playing the better golf and finishing ahead of him.

If you read my post properly you will see that I never suggested that any success will happen, simply that players returning to courses that they have had some success on can help them find a missing spark sometimes. The memories of victory flood back.

Using an amateur tournament from when a player was 15 years old as an example as to why you think I'm wrong is just trying to be argumentative for the sake of it.

So your theory has a limit of 5 yrs, should be interesting to see if you are right, but I wouldn’t be placing a bet on a memory from 2015.

So your theory has a limit of 5 yrs, should be interesting to see if you are right, but I wouldn’t be placing a bet on a memory from 2015.

That's fine, I dont require any betting advice from you anyway but thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Happy4all wrote: »
    Rory had plenty to say about Tommy Fleetwood, ruining his game sitting back home due to Covid.

Ironically, he is out there this week, paired together final Round and Tommy playing the better golf and finishing ahead of him.

What did he say above Tommy?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭bren2001

Commented on some of the Europeans staying at home just after the restart:

"Personally, if I were in their shoes and I was asked to come over to the States and shelter in place or quarantine for two weeks before these tournaments, I would have done that...I mean, if you really care about your career and care about moving forward, you should be here, I think. Last week was 70 World Ranking points for the winner, this week it's 74."

Source: https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/12008919/rory-mcilroy-questions-if-likes-of-tommy-fleetwood-and-francesco-molinari-care-enough-about-careers

bren2001 wrote: »
    Commented on some of the Europeans staying at home just after the restart:

"Personally, if I were in their shoes and I was asked to come over to the States and shelter in place or quarantine for two weeks before these tournaments, I would have done that...I mean, if you really care about your career and care about moving forward, you should be here, I think. Last week was 70 World Ranking points for the winner, this week it's 74."

Source: https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/12008919/rory-mcilroy-questions-if-likes-of-tommy-fleetwood-and-francesco-molinari-care-enough-about-careers

OK so not about Tommy at all then just a general comment.

Looks like Tommy took the advice anyway. Great to see him back.
    The European tour isn't really an option for him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Mcllroy hasn't been upto standard since the restart. Some good stuff there but the consistency isn't and he's making some poor decisions.

Think he could come good towards the end of the season but I can't see him competing next week. Just too many errors and not sharp enough at the moment.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

OK so not about Tommy at all then just a general comment.

Looks like Tommy took the advice anyway. Great to see him back.
    The European tour isn't really an option for him.

oh, but the irony of it:

"The golfer Rory McIlroy said Wednesday that he would skip the Rio Games, which are set to begin in August, because of concerns about the Zika virus, becoming the highest-profile athlete yet to withdraw over the health scare."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

oh, but the irony of it:

"The golfer Rory McIlroy said Wednesday that he would skip the Rio Games, which are set to begin in August, because of concerns about the Zika virus, becoming the highest-profile athlete yet to withdraw over the health scare."

Rory is full of contradictions as he opens his mouth so much about everything. Not playing well at the moment so probably better off keeping his mouth shut and focusing on the undoubted golf talent he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭bren2001

oh, but the irony of it:

There's a significant difference between skipping a single event which was the Olympics and skipping several PGA tour events in a condensed year.

The Zika virus was also clearly a lie to get out of more difficult questions surrounding the event.

Saying that, I don't agree with his view on the European lads.

Rory is full of contradictions as he opens his mouth so much about everything. Not playing well at the moment so probably better off keeping his mouth shut and focusing on the undoubted golf talent he has.

Considering he performed poorly since the restart and lost the No1 spot, in hindsight it wasn’t the brightest to say they should have played for the sake of their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Considering he performed poorly since the restart and lost the No1 spot, in hindsight it wasn’t the brightest to say they should have played for the sake of their careers.

That’s just petty. He went out and competed and it hasn’t gone well, but he tried. He made a general comment that he thought players should be out and competing for the sake of their careers, I think plenty would agree that the likes of fleetwood, Molinari and stenson should have done what was needed to get to America and play. Mcilroy is one of the few that will actually speak his mind though.

bren2001 wrote: »
    There's a significant difference between skipping a single event which was the Olympics and skipping several PGA tour events in a condensed year.

The Zika virus was also clearly a lie to get out of more difficult questions surrounding the event.

Saying that, I don't agree with his view on the European lads.

that's it. he lied. why didn't he say he had no interest in it.

I prefer the honesty of Shane. A streaky player, so maybe in form for next week

• Advertisement

tobsey wrote: »
    That’s just petty. He went out and competed and it hasn’t gone well, but he tried. He made a general comment that he thought players should be out and competing for the sake of their careers, I think plenty would agree that the likes of fleetwood, Molinari and stenson should have done what was needed to get to America and play. Mcilroy is one of the few that will actually speak his mind though.

Normally I would agree with you, he went out and tried. But seen as there is a pandemic ongoing, I think it was unwise. Would he criticise Padraig Harrington now for pulling out of next weeks tournament? I don’t think so.

Just to provide some acknowledgement and balance, a good day today, that makes it terrible/good/bad/good for this comp, maybe that in itself is consistent performance.

I prefer the honesty of Shane. A streaky player, so maybe in form for next week

You do realise Shane also pulled out due to Zika virus?

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/golf/shane-lowry-pulls-out-of-the-olympic-games-due-to-zika-fears-34840971.html

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Normally I would agree with you, he went out and tried. But seen as there is a pandemic ongoing, I think it was unwise. Would he criticise Padraig Harrington now for pulling out of next weeks tournament? I don’t think so.

Just to provide some acknowledgement and balance, a good day today, that makes it terrible/good/bad/good for this comp, maybe that in itself is consistent performance.

Harrington is not at the same stage of career as fleetwood and molinari. They are both still in their prime and should be competing to win tournaments. Padraig isn’t really, although he could put a week together some time.

tobsey wrote: »
    Harrington is not at the same stage of career as fleetwood and molinari. They are both still in their prime and should be competing to win tournaments. Padraig isn’t really, although he could put a week together some time.

Harrington is getting the game ready for the PGA Tour Champions. I could see him do very well on there when he hits 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You do realise that Shane was being honest regarding his Zika virus fears and not just using it as an excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

He had an unbelievable round that week but I think he was beaten in the first round after the cut? Portrush changed a lot in 14: years and he acknowledged himself how under prepared he was for what it meant to be there for the open.

I am a Rory fan but do think he needs a big week, this should suit him but I don't see where the turn in form is coming from.

Hoping for the peak in November!

oh, but the irony of it:

Big difference between the consequences of covid and zika.

Very little irony. Governments all over the world highlighting the importance of not traveling. Sports people, businesses etc... Highlighting the fact.

People comparing viruses to have a go at Rory is peak anti Rory

Remind me wrote: »
    Big difference between the consequences of covid and zika.

Very little irony. Governments all over the world highlighting the importance of not traveling. Sports people, businesses etc... Highlighting the fact.

People comparing viruses to have a go at Rory is peak anti Rory

I don’t think anyone wants to discuss virology, but there is a shed load of irony precisely because of the consequences, and advice on travel. McIlroy said he wouldn’t travel due Zika, but saw fit to criticise those who wouldn’t travel due to Covid, I would say that it is a unique perspective, and isn’t without irony.

It’s not anti-Rory, it’s just comment on how he sometimes says things that he shouldn’t.

McIlroy and Lowry are in good company on the first two days of the PGA.

I've a feeling we'll be requesting another title change on Monday morning next.

This is the week.

• Advertisement

I don’t think anyone wants to discuss virology, but there is a shed load of irony precisely because of the consequences, and advice on travel. McIlroy said he wouldn’t travel due Zika, but saw fit to criticise those who wouldn’t travel due to Covid, I would say that it is a unique perspective, and isn’t without irony.

It’s not anti-Rory, it’s just comment on how he sometimes says things that he shouldn’t.

McIlroy and Lowry are in good company on the first two days of the PGA.

People clearly do want to discuss both viruses!

Anyway I agree his comments were wrong. It's an extremely personal decision on what people do and do not do during covid.

I see him doing well this week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement