Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Keano wrote: »
    He has always planted his foot. Few few ever raise that foot, something us guys could learn from :)

You might want to check out the swings of Jack Nicklaus and Ben Hogan Keano ;)

You wont get many better... and plenty of good golfers also had a lot of movement of their left feet. I think the injury forced Rory to change. Bob Torrance was a big advocate of it but modern teaching seems to be favouring the planted foot.

Lifting it up when done right can help a lot of things. You'll get increased shoulder turn and it can help (the replanting) act as a trigger on the downswing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

PARlance wrote: »
    Lifting it up when done right can help a lot of things. You'll get increased shoulder turn and it can help (the replanting) act as a trigger on the downswing.

Good points alright. Especially the shoulder turn for most amateurs, who wouldn't necessarily have the mobility to complete the turn without raising the left foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

PARlance wrote: »
    You might want to check out the swings of Jack Nicklaus and Ben Hogan Keano ;)

You wont get many better... and plenty of good golfers also had a lot of movement of their left feet. I think the injury forced Rory to change. Bob Torrance was a big advocate of it but modern teaching seems to be favouring the planted foot.

Seems to work for Bubba anyway :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAUun-iQ3EH

HighLine wrote: »
    Seems to work for Bubba anyway :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAUun-iQ3EH

Well.... That's his right foot :)

Greg Norman was another one with quite a wild left foot. Not only did he lift it a bit but he turned/twisted it once he grounded it... leaving his toes almost pointing towards target.

https://youtu.be/ATOLYrebHZA

Slight movement in the left foot in this clip from pre-injury but nothing major. I don't think the ankle injury is of much concern to him now anyway.. he was driving the ball very well the first few days last week and getting it out there.

• Advertisement

I think if we're talking about a quirk in his swing, it would have to be his angle of attack. Iirc the tour average is -1 and his is +2-3. Most Pro's hit down on the ball versus Rory hitting up on it with the big stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Slight movement in the left foot in this clip from pre-injury but nothing major. I don't think the ankle injury is of much concern to him now anyway.. he was driving the ball very well the first few days last week and getting it out there.

I could listen to Butch talk about that swing all day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Rikand wrote: »
    I could listen to Butch talk about that swing all day
    Yeah, I've always liked him commentating on Sky. Interesting to see the effect he's having on Rickie Fowler's game and at the same time seeing the improvements that Mickelson's showing having dropped him.

Rory's response to Chamblee's suggestion that he could end up leaving himself open to injuries in the future like Tiger by excessive gym work :D

https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/699717207190704128

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Rory's response to Chamblee's suggestion that he could end up leaving himself open to injuries in the future like Tiger by excessive gym work :D

Rory is 100% correct. While there is inherent risk in literally every single thing we do. there are no drawbacks to getting stronger. Whether you're an elite athlete or Joe Bloggs... the people who argue contrary, simply don't know enough about what they're talking about.

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Rory is 100% correct. While there is inherent risk in literally every single hing we do. there are no drawbacks to getting stronger. Whether you're an elite athlete or Joe Bloggs... the people who argue contrary, simply don't know enough about what they're talking about.

Fully agree. It certainly didn't do Player any harm either..

https://twitter.com/garyplayer/status/700090951742726144

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

While I think it's good that he remains fit and strong he does need to be careful. He's doing squats with 130kg on his back,he's a golfer.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    While I think it's good that he remains fit and strong he does need to be careful. He's doing squats with 130kg on his back,he's a golfer.

Its 120kg (10 green,15 yellow,25 red). Blue is 20
    His BW is 75 to 80kg.

I'd say his s&c coach knows his abilities more than us

• Registered Users Posts: 20,711 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Its 120kg (10 green,15 yellow,25 red). Blue is 20
    His BW is 75 to 80kg.

I'd say his s&c coach knows his abilities more than us

But is he a golfer , does he know the game ? Has he been a pro at the top level like Tom Watson for say 30 + years.

He is getting joking tips from Stephen Ferris - a sort of unnecessary bravado to it all.

He missed a major playing 5 aside.

Tiger Woods is retired at 40.

The modern professional in many sports is a new concept - we are increasingly finding in many sports that it is a quick bursts.

Rory has said he doesn't intend to have a long career (as in , into his 50s)

So - there is an interesting aspect to the new pro - and golfers can talk about it and not be called pussies who cant bench :rolleyes:

It is up to these modern inventions of S&C and biomechanic coaches to tell us why the star of the game is retired. Not, can you bench man.

Go out and sort his putting imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'd hazard a guess he spends more time on his practice than he does squatting. It's one element of his overall fitness regime that I think people are getting carried away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He's so strong now the putter probably feels like a wand in his hand. He'd have no feel on the greens ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

It could be argued that swinging a golf club at 100mph and twisting your spine a thousand times a week has the potential to do more damage to your body than squatting 120kg every couple of weeks.

ForeRight wrote: »
    It could be argued that swinging a golf club at 100mph and twisting your spine a thousand times a week has the potential to do more damage to your body than squatting 120kg every couple of weeks.

You could also argue that doing 120 kg squats won't improve his golf game!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

ForeRight wrote: »
    +1

I always thought that the main culprit for Woods' injuries was his swing. At least everywhere there's any comment on the injuries, it's his swing that's mentioned most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Moar power

/Clarkson

• Advertisement

Well if it improves his golf game then of course (pn) it's beneficial. Just hope we don't get the Rory is tired spiel once he's played 4 events in a row.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

His main reason for doing the Gym work he does is to prevent further injuries. He had back problems which he has overcome through some work in the gym.

From speaking with one of the experts in the field the weights he is squatting are not excessive at all by any means.

He's looking after his body by strengthening his back and core which is under stress from his golf swing.
    He has a degenerative disc in his back which was giving him issue and his scans have shown that since he started working out it has not degenerated any further.

That would be good enough for me to keep doing what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well he's shot a very nice round of 4 under today, whether it is due to his gym work or not, who knows!

He talked about why he works out in his post round video... as another poster said above, it's to prevent injury.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10172655/mcilroy-dont-worry-about-me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Lads, Tiger Woods isn't (semi)retired because he lifted weights. Use your heads, for feck's sake...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Conceptually that is obvious - but 5 years ago we were all thinking that pro Rugby was cool and the way to go. Now pro Rugby has issues it does not know what to do with,

I think you need to explain that a bit better because from where I'm sitting it makes absolutely no sense.

The risk of injury in a high impact, contact sport like rugby was as well understood five years ago as it is today. What does that have to do with applying our understanding of sports science to a non impact sport like golf?

First Up wrote: »

The risk of injury in a high impact, contact sport like rugby was as well understood five years ago as it is today.

What, in the sense that 5 years ago they hadn't a clue what the symptoms of concussion were and the long term impact on the brain, and they still don't know today?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

What, in the sense that 5 years ago they hadn't a clue what the symptoms of concussion were and the long term impact on the brain, and they still don't know today?

I dont think he was talking about brain injuries he is talking about body and back injuries associated with rugby because it is a contact sport more so then weight lifting was my take on it.

Eitherway I think it's absolutely ridiculous that a unqualified comentator should question the methods of a professional athlete like that who just so happens to be one of the best in the world same as they questioned his wisdom of changing clubs or playing footy with his mates he aint going too far wrong.

Many top athletes build up body strenght using weights its just Rory posted videos about it. In soccer Cristiano ronaldo does lots of weights as also does Gareth Bale it has given Rory alot more distance I think.

• Advertisement

The people who question Rory's training methods, the things he does with a personal trainer who is highly qualified in his field and has a program designed around his golf game are hilarious and have no clue what they are on about.

To say there's any comparison with rugby and new science showing what concussion is is nonsense.

All Rory can do is base his program around trial and error and modern day sports science and listen to his body more than anything.

He's hardly going to change his lifestyle or training based on what science "might" say a decade from now... Ridiculous talk!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement