Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges / Tax / Demonstrations / Irish Water / Meter Installations etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know if Irish Water will come under the Sale of Goods Act ? if so as soon as they send me a bill I'll be taking them to the Small Claims Court for selling me goods not of a merchantable quality.

It'll only cost me €25, be well worth it to see what excuse they try to put on undrinkable water.

bear in mind. a toilet flush uses 10 liters, a shower user about 50 liters and a bath uses about 80 liters. a washing machine uses 23 litres a dishwasher uses 14 litres

you'll drink about 2 liters. so in the grand scheme of things i can't see you winning case.

but if you did what would you expect to win? its called a small claims court for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Is it really €85M for consultancy fees before we have even started?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kleefarr wrote: »
    Is it really €85M for consultancy fees before we have even started?

Didn't someone say thats what they've spent so far- their intended expenditure is €180m before they get up and running- and they've organised to borrow this, at commercial rates, from the NPRF.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

People seem to assume that its been spent entirely on reports and biscuits - "consultancy" is going to include the capital costs of ther IT systems almost certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Let's keep this thread within the remit of Accommodation & Property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Has anyone heard that in rental houses / apartments landlords will be responsible for paying the watercharges??

Gatling wrote: »
    Has anyone heard that in rental houses / apartments landlords will be responsible for paying the watercharges??
    why would we hear that? did you hear it? its a utility like gas and electricity, and as such lies with the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

ted1 wrote: »
    why would we hear that? did you hear it? its a utility like gas and electricity, and as such lies with the tenant.

I know ,

It was posted in the the thread about farcical state of renting in dublin a few days back ,never got around to posting it here ,

Someone reckons water charges and the broadcasting charge will only be paid by landlords ,
    First I heard that idea

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Gatling wrote: »
    I know ,

It was posted in the the thread about farcical state of renting in dublin a few days back ,never got around to posting it here ,

Someone reckons water charges and the broadcasting charge will only be paid by landlords ,
    First I heard that idea

I wonder is it to allow for the landlord to pay for when the property is not occupied by tenants? The landlord is ultimately responsible for any charges incurred between lettings, be that gas, electric and now water charges, but when tenants are using the utilities they are responsible for the charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Kobe Fierce Uterus

It specifically states in my lease that we'll be paying the charges as tenants. Can't see landlords taking in the extra cost. Why would they?

• Advertisement

It specifically states in my lease that we'll be paying the charges as tenants. Can't see landlords taking in the extra cost. Why would they?
    Because they will have to pay the charges when the property is vacant anyway.

Well they would have to do the same for electricity and gas standing charges whether the property is rented or not. I know if very few landlords that pay their tenants gas or electricity bills.

Victor wrote: »
    Because they will have to pay the charges when the property is vacant anyway.

unless there's a leak there shouldn't be any usage when its empty.

landlords already pay for elec and Gas which are used when the house is empty

unless there's a leak there shouldn't be any usage when its empty.
    Broadcast television leaks are more a feature than a bug. :)

For water there would be standing charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TedStriker1982

I think whether the landlord pays would also depend upon whether Irish Water has the right to repossess the property for non-payment, like the councils (technically) do for those not paying rates and property charges levied by them. It is the case elsewhere in Europe even where water utilities are run by private companies. Haven't seen anything definitive on that yet, but new to these boards....

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭olliesgirl55

The only way I can see tenants having to pay for water charge is if each flat in a building has its own water supply. Or if a flat rate be issued by the company for a specific flat based on size. I live in a tiny studio and have no problem with paying for water I just don't want to be overcharged since there are other flats in the buildings larger in size and more occupants. Landlords have already passed the property tax and the tax payments on to tenants in the form of rent increase. My landlord also charges me 6 euro a a week for using the bins and I know if I was in a council flat id be paying 19 euro a month which is less.
    Rant over

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The only way I can see tenants having to pay for water charge is if each flat in a building has its own water supply.

People do rent full houses too.

Additionally, unmeterable properties will have flat rates which are still connected to the tenant using water - so there really isn't any situation where they won't be expected to pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Richard Bruton referred to this 'conversation charge' as a tax today. Therefore it is a now okay to call it a tax :cool:

snubbleste wrote: »
    Richard Bruton referred to this 'conversation charge' as a tax today. Therefore it is a now okay to call it a tax :cool:
    Go on, explain that in the context of Accommodation & Property, not Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has anyone heard the leak that came out of Labour about Irish Water ? Apparently the govt is subsidising Irish Water to the tune of around €400 per year per household which means the real cost of delivering your water is around €600 per household and that's what it is expected to cost us when they privatise it, around €600 per household. With that and the property tax households will be getting hit with nearly €1,000 in extra taxes, pretty frightening in a time when wages are static.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Is there anyway of telling if a water meter has been installed at my residence so far? I've moved in recent times and I just don't know what the story is, is it just a case of waiting for a bill to arrive? There is no searchable address function on the Irish Water site.

moxin wrote: »
    Is there anyway of telling if a water meter has been installed at my residence so far? I've moved in recent times and I just don't know what the story is, is it just a case of waiting for a bill to arrive? There is no searchable address function on the Irish Water site.
    Outside your house on the path there's a small looking man hole usuall with uisce writing on it. Lift it and look into it. Or if the path hasn't obviously had work fine on it then there's no meter

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Hi Mrs O'Bumble-

Your water meter will be outside your property, probably under a new manhole/cover like this:

0005cb36-314.jpg
    What if it gets vandalised?

PeteK* wrote: »
    What if it gets vandalised?

You report it (in the same way you'd report damage to your electricity or gas meter). Repair man is dispatched, and its repaired/replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Just wondering how the allowances are going to be allocated? Is it per household regardless of the number of bedrooms/people living there. Will the same allowance be given to a one bedroom flat as a five bedroom house?

I'm renting with 4 others in a 5 bed house. No problem paying the bill; we'll just divide it between all of us but it looks like we're going to have a tiny allowance compared to others.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Just wondering how the allowances are going to be allocated? Is it per household regardless of the number of bedrooms/people living there. Will the same allowance be given to a one bedroom flat as a five bedroom house?

I'm renting with 4 others in a 5 bed house. No problem paying the bill; we'll just divide it between all of us but it looks like we're going to have a tiny allowance compared to others.

Its per person.
    1,300 litres per adult, 1,380 per child. Works out at slightly over half current usage rates.

Could I just lie and say there's three adults living in my house and get a free extra 1300 litres?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Its per person.
    1,300 litres per adult, 1,380 per child. Works out at slightly over half current usage rates.

How will they know how many people live in the house? I thought the allowance was per household regardless of who was living there hence all the fuss about college going 19 year olds not getting the free allowances.

They can crosscheck with Revenue and Social Welfare- and voter registers for good measure. Plus when the individual codes are activated in 2016, it'll be even easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I predict that the Irish government will collapse by summer next year. It will be replaced by a true republic citizens council that will reject stealth austerity taxes and the water meter units will be ripped from their safe underground burrows for a national ceremony where they will be jammed up the rectums of various politicians.

I also predict that after the world is brought to the brink of nuclear war by a cabal of psychopaths and their obedient lapdogs people will have just had enough and after joint efforts between different countries those held responsible will be packed into space craft on a one way journey into space.

Advertisement