Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water Charges / Tax / Demonstrations / Irish Water / Meter Installations etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Gatling wrote: »
    Hes anti water charges , he's all above board but in his own words they cant turn off water the apartment or fit a meter ,
    To him there is no real consequence to not paying as it stands were the only ones in out block that havent left the pack for the postman to collect "return to sender "
    19 out of 20 apartments in our block have left the packs as marked above

What's the story with apartment blocks and the water charges. Can they not install individual meters because of the nature of the building?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

whippet wrote: »
    Can you let us know why you are doing this? Do you not want to recieve the correct bills?

A lot of people wont be receiving correct bills even if they fill out the form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

I am not saying if anyone should or should not fill out the form but a few years ago the government sent out a water charges bill. When most of Dublin burnt the bill the amount was dropped and a few people ended up paying. A friend of mine paid for the first 2 years i think.
    So it magically went away for most people.
    its not a case of wont pay for a lot of people,me included its a case of CANT AFFORD TO PAY,but this is Ireland I guess,people will just be good boys and girls and take the cough mixture enforced by phil Hogan and now alan Kelly & co. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I am not saying if anyone should or should not fill out the form but a few years ago the government sent out a water charges bill. When most of Dublin burnt the bill the amount was dropped and a few people ended up paying. A friend of mine paid for the first 2 years i think.
    So it magically went away for most people.

I am not saying if anyone should or should not fill out the form but how upset will you be when you get a bill twice what it needs to be.

Q. What happens if you don’t apply?
    A. If you do not apply, you will not receive any water services allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Graham I was just pointing out to Grandpa Hassan that the bill 's did just magically go away before.
    You have answered the question what happens if you don't apply.
    Yes i would be very upset if I ended up paying double.
    I would be equally upset if I ended up paying for a year or so only to find some people did not pay and got away it like the last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Brego888 wrote: »
    What's the story with apartment blocks and the water charges. Can they not install individual meters because of the nature of the building?

We wont be getting meters ,

We apprrently will be receiveing estimated bills,
    which they haven't been exactly forthcoming with anymore information

Graham I was just pointing out to Grandpa Hassan that the bill 's did just magically go away before.
    You have answered the question what happens if you don't apply.
    Yes i would be very upset if I ended up paying double.
    I would be equally upset if I ended up paying for a year or so only to find some people did not pay and got away it like the last time.

Of course.

You probably remember the last time government rolled out a new semi-state company, installed hundreds of thousands of meters and enacted legislation only to change their minds at the last minute because a few envelopes came back with return-to-sender/no-contract scrawled on the front. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

No I don't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Graham wrote: »
    Of course.

You probably remember the last time government rolled out a new semi-state company, installed hundreds of thousands of meters and enacted legislation only to change their minds at the last minute because a few envelopes came back with return-to-sender/no-contract scrawled on the front. :rolleyes:

I don't but please enlighten me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

No I don't
    whippet wrote: »
    I don't but please enlighten me

Im going to go out on a limb and suggest the poster is being sarcastic because this never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Gatling wrote: »
    We wont be getting meters ,

We apprrently will be receiveing estimated bills,
    which they haven't been exactly forthcoming with anymore information

I think it will be treated as unmetered and will fall under Assessed Charges, a flat rate fee based on the number of occupants.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/unm...l-it-work.html

I live in what was previously a duplex but is now split into 2 apartments, we share a mains, landlord has informed me that we will be unmetered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Im going to go out on a limb and suggest the poster is being sarcastic because this never happened.

It did though........
    If my memory serves me right- An Post spent over 80 million buying a mailbox for everyone in the country- and because of an outcry didn't install them.......

So- its not meters- its mailboxes- but it is a State Body- and they have thread down this path before........

It did though........
    If my memory serves me right- An Post spent over 80 million buying a mailbox for everyone in the country- and because of an outcry didn't install them.......

So- its not meters- its mailboxes- but it is a State Body- and they have thread down this path before........

Are you referring to the 2003 decision by Comreg not to allow roadside letterboxes as there was no provision under the law for them?

Graham wrote: »
    Are you referring to the 2003 decision by Comreg not to allow roadside letterboxes as there was no provision under the law for them?

Yes- and An Posts prior purchase of 1.8 million of the damn things......
    They had draft legislation in place to allow for the installations (and indeed did install several thousand in the Dublin area)- but ultimately most of them were removed (a few remain installed- some people seem to see them as badges of honor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

There's a lot of confusion over who must register with Irish water. My wife got a registration pack for our residence. I got a pack for the rental property I have addressed to me at our residence. It is very unclear how I am supposed to fill in the form on behalf of the occupants.

I thought the pack was quite clear (unless I've misunderstood it). Each property will receive a pack and the occupier must complete the form. Landlords also received a form to their main residence which is only to be completed if the rented property is vacant I.e there are no tenants in situ to fill out an application themselves.

Anyone else agree with this interpretation? ?

ETA (from Water.ie)
    Who needs to apply?

You should apply if:

you are a property owner and live in the property;
    or you are an occupier and live in the property; or you are the owner of a property and there is no occupier in the property (for example a holiday home);
    or you do not have public water services connected to your property (you need to tell us that you are not a customer using this application).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

There's a lot of confusion over who must register with Irish water. My wife got a registration pack for our residence. I got a pack for the rental property I have addressed to me at our residence. It is very unclear how I am supposed to fill in the form on behalf of the occupants.

You're right. That's exactly what I got. The way I read it is, if I fill in the form as the rental property owner, then I become liable for the bill. There is no provision on the form to supply the name of the tenant. I was going to send the form back with the name and PPS no of the tenant and let Irish Water take it from there. I don't think it's my responsibility to ask the tenant to fill in the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I thought the pack was quite clear (unless I've misunderstood it). Each property will receive a pack and the occupier must complete the form. Landlords also received a form to their main residence which is only to be completed if the rented property is vacant I.e there are no tenants in situ to fill out an application themselves.

Anyone else agree with this interpretation? ?

ETA (from Water.ie)
    Who needs to apply?

You should apply if:

you are a property owner and live in the property;
    or you are an occupier and live in the property; or you are the owner of a property and there is no occupier in the property (for example a holiday home);
    or you do not have public water services connected to your property (you need to tell us that you are not a customer using this application).

Thanks ocean blue that seems to clarify that completely. I am abit concerned though that either they don't have tenants details or the tenant won't register. Even though all registered with prtb and taxes paid to revenue. And I'll end up with ultimate liability.

Thanks ocean blue that seems to clarify that completely. I am abit concerned though that either they don't have tenants details or the tenant won't register. Even though all registered with prtb and taxes paid to revenue. And I'll end up with ultimate liability.

So do you think it's up to the LL or Irish Water to ask the tenant to fill in the form. If the tenants don't pay, I doubt many landlords will cough up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

emeldc wrote: »
    So do you think it's up to the LL or Irish Water to ask the tenant to fill in the form. If the tenants don't pay, I doubt many landlords will cough up.

Excpet that in the absence of the ability to cut off a water supply, I would not be surprised if unpaid bills get attached to the property in the same way as unpaid property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

Excpet that in the absence of the ability to cut off a water supply, I would not be surprised if unpaid bills get attached to the property in the same way as unpaid property tax.

I presume that would be the case? If your tenants leave in Nov, you are still going to be charged for Dec? In fact the first bills aren't out until Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Dorian Raspy Greengrocer

Why on earth would anyone sign a utility contract not knowing a) the COST of the utility b) your 'free' allowance and c) give information such as PPS that hasn't even been approved by the DPC??

I'm not into this return to sender crap, but I won't be signing it until at least know the a b and c above.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

So when we are talking about allowances is that just how much water you should have per person in the house including children? or does that make allowances based on other conditions that are linked to your PPS number?

I asked the question over in the long term illness forum regarding a cap for people who are on the long term illness scheme. will this be captured through your PPS number? does anyone know about this or if it is true? I have heard about a section where you have to describe an illness that would mean you require extra water such as using a dialysis machine but that seems like a seperate section to me as not every type of illness is on the long term illness scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dave ireland

can I ask has anyone got a down pipe rain collector in,, I got one for the toilet and the wash machine and cant see any probs in installing it but would I need a filter apart from a wire mesh

I wonder will it do any damage to the wash machine anyone know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Can anyone tell me what to do about this?
    we live in a really old house, renting it, and there's about three pipes in three different walls, that we know are burst, heating lines mainly, which we don't/can't use. And they seem to be permanently leaking..
    We don't want to move and forget about the LL doing anything about it, he's all but uncontactable..
    is this just tough sh!t or is there anything we can do?

Notify the landlord of the issue.
    Give him sufficient time to repair the issue.
    Suggest witholding sufficient of the rent to cover the repairs.
    If you do not hear back in a reasonable time frame (give him at least a month)- I'd suggest getting the repairs done- keeping all the receipts, and deducting it from the next rent.
    Forward the receipts to the landlord with the next months rent.
    Keep copies of absolutely everything.
    Only use properly registered contractors/plumbers- and don't do anything under the table.

cool thanks.

Notify the landlord of the issue.
    Give him sufficient time to repair the issue.
    Suggest witholding sufficient of the rent to cover the repairs.
    If you do not hear back in a reasonable time frame (give him at least a month)- I'd suggest getting the repairs done- keeping all the receipts, and deducting it from the next rent.
    Forward the receipts to the landlord with the next months rent.
    Keep copies of absolutely everything.
    Only use properly registered contractors/plumbers- and don't do anything under the table.

If LL's allowed this the tenants would have the place looking like a palace in no time.
    OP, you're paying the rent to somebody. Get them to fix the place up or move out.

Funny you mention it, This place is in a whole other world of better condition since we took it over. I basically do all the fixing(which is almost constant..cleaned out the gutters cos there was a steady flow of water causing damp into one of the bedrooms, then repointed all the brickwork around and under the gutter where the damp was visible, that sorta thing...i dont bother him anymore to get his handyman in..he's impossible to get hold of and there's never really a need to if i can do it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

I wonder what the outcome will be here http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0930/649035-water-courts/

• Advertisement

emeldc wrote: »
    If LL's allowed this the tenants would have the place looking like a palace in no time.
    OP, you're paying the rent to somebody. Get them to fix the place up or move out.

Perhaps- however, tenants are allowed heating- its a basic necessity- and if its not working- they are entitled to have it fixed. If the landlord is playing silly buggers and ignoring them- the tenant has few options left open to them- if they wish to remain in the property. By rights- the landlord has to agree to any repairs, or any action which results in the rent being purloined- however, if they are wholly incommunicado- what do you do?

Advertisement