Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game Golf

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

O dear, McGuirks have a 15% off everything sale at the minute so this is down to €169.15 until this coming Sunday....decisions decisions...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

slave1 wrote: »
    O dear, McGuirks have a 15% off everything sale at the minute so this is down to €169.15 until this coming Sunday....decisions decisions...

Happy Christmas to me :D

hades wrote: »
    Happy Christmas to me :D

Enjoy, I just find it hard to justify another purchase, was thinking of selling my Garmin GPS to help pay for it as I use Golfshot a good bit now, still decisions decisions...

slave1 wrote: »
    Enjoy, I just find it hard to justify another purchase, was thinking of selling my Garmin GPS to help pay for it as I use Golfshot a good bit now, still decisions decisions...

I couldn't sell my GPS, i'd be lost without it (see what i did there)

Golfshot doesn't work great on my course, for some reason.

I'm looking forward to getting to use GameGolf, i love crunching the numbers. So it'll be helpful to tell me just how bad i am and where i need to improve (short game).

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

hades wrote: »
    I couldn't sell my GPS, i'd be lost without it (see what i did there)

Golfshot doesn't work great on my course, for some reason.

I'm looking forward to getting to use GameGolf, i love crunching the numbers. So it'll be helpful to tell me just how bad i am and where i need to improve (short game).

Halpenny are doing the 15% off in store as well. They had them over in the kinsale road store. Save you waiting for it to be delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

Tweaky wrote: »
    Halpenny are doing the 15% off in store as well. They had them over in the kinsale road store. Save you waiting for it to be delivered.

Handy to know, might take a trip down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

E108 on amazon.com Black Friday deal with friend bringing it over in a couple weeks, new toy for the new year! :)

So how are people getting on with the Gamegolf that Santa brought them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Have it all set up now, course was closed last 2 times I had bookings to play, so should get first outing this Sunday morning hopefully.

Looking forward to finding out precisely how poorly I'm playing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Edmundy

Have it all set up now, course was closed last 2 times I had bookings to play, so should get first outing this Sunday morning hopefully.

Looking forward to finding out precisely how poorly I'm playing :(

Certainly lets you know that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Its a great product. I've 33 rounds in it already!

jtown wrote: »
    Its a great product. I've 33 rounds in it already!

Wow !!

How long you got it ?

I'm still trying to get my head around what to do if I lose a ball or put it in the water ,

Don't say the answer is NOT to !

Edmundy wrote: »
    Wow !!

How long you got it ?

I'm still trying to get my head around what to do if I lose a ball or put it in the water ,

Don't say the answer is NOT to !

I would say the main thing is to be consistent when you log your round. If for example I tee of and drive it out of bounds, I put a 2 shot penalty on the drive shot and continue as normal from then. For the water I out a penalty of 1 and continue as normal.
    Consistency is the key thing I think.

I bought it end of July in the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

@Jtown how has it helped your game? or what do you like most about it! I cant see how its worth €200 when all its doing is recording your stats maybe in a bit more detail than the golf apps, but €200 more I'd find hard to believe..

benny79 wrote: »
    @Jtown how has it helped your game? or what do you like most about it! I cant see how its worth €200 when all its doing is recording your stats maybe in a bit more detail than the golf apps, but €200 more I'd find hard to believe..

It has helped my game in a way I know exactly what distance my irons go. I am going to be going for a few lessons with my pro and will sending my stats to him so we will know what to work on. That was my goal when I got it. Get rounds into the system. I know I need to hit more greens as my GIR stats aren't good enough for what I play off. Also my fairway stats are good enough 50% but distance is an issue. Just need to improve that.

Over all I will be going for lessons and I will see the benefits during the summer hopefully if I put in the work

jtown :
    "I bought it end of July in the USA "
    Brings me neatly onto another topic. How long is your warranty ?
    I bought a Golf Buddy just over a year ago and recently it has started to give trouble .
    I rang Golf Buddy and they said it was well within warranty time , just post it back to them .
    Their guy then asked if I bought it in Ireland or the UK.
    When I told him where I bought it he said that alas the warrenty on goods bought in the States was only 60 days !
    Reason being they are much cheaper there !
    Was it much cheaper there ?

Edmundy wrote: »
    jtown :
    "I bought it end of July in the USA "
    Brings me neatly onto another topic. How long is your warranty ?
    I bought a Golf Buddy just over a year ago and recently it has started to give trouble .
    I rang Golf Buddy and they said it was well within warranty time , just post it back to them .
    Their guy then asked if I bought it in Ireland or the UK.
    When I told him where I bought it he said that alas the warrenty on goods bought in the States was only 60 days !
    Reason being they are much cheaper there !
    Was it much cheaper there ?

How long is the warranty... honest answer - no idea.
    I have been in touch with Game Golf Support a few times and to be hoenst there isnt any better support I have come across.
    2 things - lost the cover for the mini USB port on the device, they sent one out by post from the USA. Lost the sensor on my driver over Xmas (no idea how it happened) got in touch with them a couple of days ago, no questions asked about it. They just asked for my shipping address. There Support centre is in Galway. Absolutely top class..
    Paid €200 back last July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

jtown wrote: »
    It has helped my game in a way I know exactly what distance my irons go. I am going to be going for a few lessons with my pro and will sending my stats to him so we will know what to work on. That was my goal when I got it. Get rounds into the system. I know I need to hit more greens as my GIR stats aren't good enough for what I play off. Also my fairway stats are good enough 50% but distance is an issue. Just need to improve that.

Over all I will be going for lessons and I will see the benefits during the summer hopefully if I put in the work

The golfshot app will tell you all this GIR,FIR etc plus I think after a few rounds you should know how far you hit each club, I just can't see the justification in €200!

I received as present but I think
    € 170 before Xmas !

The golfshot app will tell you all this GIR,FIR etc plus I think after a few rounds you should know how far you hit each club, I just can't see the justification in €200!

The dashboards go into some details that GolfShot wont.
    75 yards/ 100 yards/ 150/ all distances and breakdown by club so you know if certain shots are not getting close to the pin. The breakdown is impressive to be honest.

I know I hit a 3 wood to 8 feet on the 8th hole about a month ago. Its that detailed.

• Advertisement

I've 4 rounds under my belt with mine now, really good knowing your clubs distance, not what you think you hit but what you actually hit, the stats side is most impressive, I got as a pressie so no outlay. Nice to walk up to a shot and know you can lay up or carry a bunker for example as well as confident off the tee for the same reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

I played with a couple of guys who were using them a couple of weeks ago - one of them for the first time. The biggest problem seemed to be to remember to touch the club off the sensor just before every shot, although the other guy said they could be inserted later on. They both seemed happy with it though.

Its not for me anyway. Apart from the money, which is significant (i.e. the price of almost a new set of irons for me!), I don't hit the ball consistently enough to be able to profit from any statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Mine dropped off my belt at Corballis and was never handed in so either some fecker has or it's in the long grass somewhere.

Did enjoy using it though

J

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Anatom wrote: »
    I played with a couple of guys who were using them a couple of weeks ago - one of them for the first time. The biggest problem seemed to be to remember to touch the club off the sensor just before every shot, although the other guy said they could be inserted later on. They both seemed happy with it though.

Its not for me anyway. Apart from the money, which is significant (i.e. the price of almost a new set of irons for me!), I don't hit the ball consistently enough to be able to profit from any statistics.

If you do forget to tag before you hit, it still tracks 'impact' more often than not, so the tidying up post round is easier.

Mine dropped off my belt at Corballis and was never handed in so either some fecker has or it's in the long grass somewhere.

Did enjoy using it though

J

I read on their user forums some negative feedback around the quality of the belt clip and its potential to fall off. Might be worth reaching out to their customer services team and see if they can do anything for you. I have heard of them replacing units.

I have used mine for two rounds and the getting used to tagging was much easier the second round. The feedback and stats are excellent. Can't wait to get a decent volume of data into it to give meaningful averages etc.

I also got one for christmas and love it. I only have used it for 2 short outings of 5 holes and 14 holes, so the stats aren't really that concise yet.

As mentioned above its nice to see a break down of the hole and see how far you really are hitting the ball, tho i would've had a decent idea from using a GPS. One such par 5 i hit my driver 188m and my second shot 3w 198m. I would've thought the exact opposite distances would've been true.

I looked up the stats for 100m - 125m, and i was 25% left, 25% right, 25% long and 25% short :D that certainly made me laugh.

But one thing i did find was my putting average is 1.7 putts per hole, and i would've considered myself much worse than that. So thats a positive.

I'm looking forward to collecting enough data to get an accurate picture of my game tho and i can really zone in on where i'm loosing my most shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

A fella I know got one for xmas, he was saying that it gives stats like longest / shortest / average with each club which I think would be good.

I'm not sure if they give out a little buzz or not when tagging the belt, but this guy will add in his own sound effects just so every group around will know he has it, and also to put me off !! He's a pure #GCW ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Tweaky wrote: »
    I read on their user forums some negative feedback around the quality of the belt clip and its potential to fall off.

I've noticed on Mark Crossfield's Youtube videos that he keeps it in his pocket, and just takes it out and taps if off the club prior to the shot. Seems easier and more secure than keeping it on the belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

D Hayes wrote: »
    I've noticed on Mark Crossfield's Youtube videos that he keeps it in his pocket, and just takes it out and taps if off the club prior to the shot. Seems easier and more secure than keeping it on the belt.

Have GG a couple of months. About 5 full rounds gone into it. Main thing that let's it down for me is getting my driving landing spot wrong. Regularly giving me an 'X' on the FIR box when it should be a tick. This could be wrong four or five times. I fix them afterwards manually but it puts a question mark in my head generally. Landing position of the ball has been out a fair few times with approach shots too.

Makes you think as well - fairway edges can move in or out a yard or two over time. How can GG account for that?

Still, I'm gonna stick with it. There's a lot of good features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Have GG a couple of months. About 5 full rounds gone into it. Main thing that let's it down for me is getting my driving landing spot wrong. Regularly giving me an 'X' on the FIR box when it should be a tick. This could be wrong four or five times. I fix them afterwards manually but it puts a question mark in my head generally. Landing position of the ball has been out a fair few times with approach shots too.

Makes you think as well - fairway edges can move in or out a yard or two over time. How can GG account for that?

Still, I'm gonna stick with it. There's a lot of good features.

They can't

Advertisement