Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Golf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 andinater1

benny79 wrote: »
    @Jtown how has it helped your game? or what do you like most about it! I cant see how its worth €200 when all its doing is recording your stats maybe in a bit more detail than the golf apps, but €200 more I'd find hard to believe..

I use GG myself, and the big thing it made me notice was my iron distance dispersion. I would always practice on a range and play on the course, so in practice i would only really be able to see right/left dispersion, not short/long. After 5 rounds my 7 iron shortest shot was 141, longest was 173 and average was 156. That's 32 yards dispersion that I wouldn't have otherwise noticed.

I agree that there are other apps/devices (like golfshot) that can do this, but the way GG captures and displays the data really impresses me, when I logged in after my first round I was surprised at how many features there was to examine.

If your a member of a club with a good pro shop, ask them if you can try one for a few holes/source somewhere to borrow one. Try it and upload the holes you play (it's free to set up an account and you don't even need to buy a device to set one up).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I like the "insight" "approach" "outside 100yards" from "tee box" stat, basically shows your par 3 tee shot stat nicely

30c4y1z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭macdonagh2007

Any advise on how I can insert the Gamegolf tag on to my Odyssey Tank Cruiser putter which carry's a weight on the top of the grip with no place to insert the tag. Will I try the old reliable SuperGlue?

Any advise on how I can insert the Gamegolf tag on to my Odyssey Tank Cruiser putter which carry's a weight on the top of the grip with no place to insert the tag. Will I try the old reliable SuperGlue?

I had to use superglue on my putter too, a super stroke hard plastic one, just cut the screw piece off the tag and a nice bed of glue and all good so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Ive used Gamegolf since last year, its certainly helped me identify areas where i needed to improve, and also made me realise other things!

I always thought i drove the ball poorly, yet im averaging 75% of fairways hit, and have always felt like i left shots out there on the greens, yet i average 1.6 putts per GIR, which is great to know.
    It also highlighted i was very poor with my 9iron over the season, missing left 60% of the time, so went to Fore and got lie angles checked, slight bend in the shaft had left my 9iron 1.5deg too upright hense the left misses!

Fantastic device and hopefully it develops even further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

slave1 wrote: »
    I had to use superglue on my putter too, a super stroke hard plastic one, just cut the screw piece off the tag and a nice bed of glue and all good so far...

Drill a small hole for it, that might work.

Drill a small hole for it, that might work.

Tried but the plastic too hard for the screw to thread into, if you follow me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Tried but the plastic too hard for the screw to thread into, if you follow me...

I get ya alright maybe find a wood screw with a similar pitch to cut a thread in the plastic. Ya might be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

just picked one up from adverts for €100.....now all I have to go and do is actually play golf with them

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

just picked one up from adverts for €100.....now all I have to go and do is actually play golf with them

Wow that was cheap.... Wonder why they wanted to sell, they can't have had it long.... Must keep an eye on adverts myself now.

• Advertisement

Great price, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Did you get the tabs with it ?

Did you get the tabs with it ?

Yeah, it was brand new unused, unwanted gift, I got mine from Amazon US Lightening Week but €100 was a great price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

For those of you using GG, I have a couple of questions

1) how do you interpret club distances with respect to playing in the wind? I know that broadly you will hit as many shots into the wind as against but the impact will be far more that that, eg I hit 1 irons off the tee into the wind and Driver with the wind, with a strong wind 150 yds might be 9iron with the wind and a punched 5i against. Perhaps this is a bigger aspect on a links especially in the winter.

2) Can you use it over multiple people. IE can I use it on Sat and my son use it the rest of the week? Someone mentioned that you might try it for a few holes (if the pro has a demo).

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I generally don't use mine when its very windy tbh, i hit too many knock down shots etc so i would rather have my stats from somewhat normal conditions.

A bit like practising in the wind, you learn very little

For those of you using GG, I have a couple of questions

1) how do you interpret club distances with respect to playing in the wind? I know that broadly you will hit as many shots into the wind as against but the impact will be far more that that, eg I hit 1 irons off the tee into the wind and Driver with the wind, with a strong wind 150 yds might be 9iron with the wind and a punched 5i against. Perhaps this is a bigger aspect on a links especially in the winter.

2) Can you use it over multiple people. IE can I use it on Sat and my son use it the rest of the week? Someone mentioned that you might try it for a few holes (if the pro has a demo).

1) My shots are just much shorter into the wind, perhaps Gorfield's suggestion is better if you want to take it out of your averages?

2) You will need the tags in your son's clubs or alternatively you can tag your equivalent club as he hits, this might not be as mad as it sounds as it will not be a problem off the tee and only an issue if ye are wide distance apart after tee shots, putting not a problem but GG not really a putting distance tool if you ask me, just good for GIR and number of putts per hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Played my first game at the weekend & was thinking about this when looking at the stats.

Obviously there was a big impact from the wind but I'm also thinking, I was trying to hit some low punch shots & stuff like that so my numbers are pretty erratic.

Also, when I look at club performance, the median score is impacted by the short game shots, ie, if I hit a bump & run 8 iron it impacts the measurements of the average 8 iron shot.

Does anyone know if there is a way of excluding specific shots from the stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There's only one answer space... Get a 64 degree wedge and stop hitting that 8i around the greens :)

Haven't a clue is my input. But have been thinking about this and it'd be interesting to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Played my first game at the weekend & was thinking about this when looking at the stats.

Obviously there was a big impact from the wind but I'm also thinking, I was trying to hit some low punch shots & stuff like that so my numbers are pretty erratic.

Also, when I look at club performance, the median score is impacted by the short game shots, ie, if I hit a bump & run 8 iron it impacts the measurements of the average 8 iron shot.

Does anyone know if there is a way of excluding specific shots from the stats?

Was chatting to a guy about this the other day, and the only logical answer was, not to tag the wee chip n runs and bit shots.

Just thinking about it, there are extra tags with the set. Could just set one of them as a short club, keep it in the pocket & tag that for short game shots, irrespective of the club used so the actual clubs would only be for approach shots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Just thinking about it, there are extra tags with the set. Could just set one of them as a short club, keep it in the pocket & tag that for short game shots, irrespective of the club used so the actual clubs would only be for approach shots?

Good idea, didnt think of that myself. Just attach it to my bag for all those shots :)

Or if you don't want to be fapping around on the course you can change the club before signing your round, you can call it anything you want, 'ignore' club for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads, now come on :)

I know I'm a technophobe when it comes to this stuff.

But, game golf is one thing, but if a lad starts changing tabs on a golf club - I would honeslty have to do a zen pose and count to 10 :mad:

Each to their own, but come on lads.

Hit the bleeding thing.

If we get lads turning up , on time, a tee, a ball, a marker, a pencil - we are 99 % there. :D

I think the point is....I hit my 7iron pretty much 147yards, I know that's my average and GG had supported that but I also use my 7iron from just off the green ~ if it's a large green and flag uphill, allowing this 7iron to feed my distance averages would be folly. Suggestions are to use a dummy tag in these instances, decent suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

I think the point is....I hit my 7iron pretty much 147yards, I know that's my average and GG had supported that but I also use my 7iron from just off the green ~ if it's a large green and flag uphill, allowing this 7iron to feed my distance averages would be folly. Suggestions are to use a dummy tag in these instances, decent suggestion

I am pretty sure all chip and pitch shots are completely discounted when it comes to giving average club distance as it uses median average. I don't think you have to be concerned about shots around the green in any capacity.

I know I read on their website that there's an option to set minimum distance per club to also factor in wind / punch shots, but I cannot recall if this is a current feature, a planned feature or a requested feature, but I'm sure it will be added if not so already.

flugel wrote: »
    I am pretty sure all chip and pitch shots are completely discounted when it comes to giving average club distance as it uses median average. I don't think you have to be concerned about shots around the green in any capacity.

I know I read on their website that there's an option to set minimum distance per club to also factor in wind / punch shots, but I cannot recall if this is a current feature, a planned feature or a requested feature, but I'm sure it will be added if not so already.

Think you're correct, pulled this from their FAQ
    We provide you with an aggregate collection of all the shots that you have recorded with the device for each club in your bag, as well as a low, average, and high for each club. GAME GOLF automatically filters out punch shots and poorly hit shots from your "Club Performance", provided that you have recorded multiple shots with that particular club. A club's typical distance represents approximately how many yards a 90-95% swing would yield under typical conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

We provide you with an aggregate collection of all the shots that you have recorded with the device for each club in your bag, as well as a low, average, and high for each club. GAME GOLF automatically filters out punch shots and poorly hit shots from your "Club Performance", provided that you have recorded multiple shots with that particular club. A club's typical distance represents approximately how many yards a 90-95% swing would yield under typical conditions

Now that is good maths. Well done Game Golf .

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Ah but what constitutes typical conditions according to GG and how does GG account for elevation and temperature?

cheers slave, that's good to know.

I can stop stressing about my stats now :)

And fix, think I'll save using the extra tags just for when I'm playing with you, have to do something to give myself an edge on society days...I know how to get in your head now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Ah but what constitutes typical conditions according to GG and how does GG account for elevation and temperature?

One would assume typical conditions would refer to the conditions that you play regularly.

I doubt too many people play half of their golf at high elevation and the other half lower.

As anyone does, you then, per your game golf information adjust your club choice accordingly to the change from your typical conditions, simples

Advertisement