Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game Golf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 simon334

worth setting up a boards challenge on Game Golf?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

simon334 wrote: »

See who'll play in that weather? Winner = Fix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

slave1 wrote: »
    See who'll play in that weather? Winner = Fix

You'd be safe from Fix, he'll never be a gamegolfer, longing for the days of hickory shafts & persimmon drivers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

simon334 wrote: »

Sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I must read the instructions again. Was all set up to head to the range with my game golf fitted.....yeah. dont ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Mine dropped off my belt at Corballis and was never handed in so either some fecker has or it's in the long grass somewhere.

Did enjoy using it though

J

Spoke to the guys at GameGolf and they are sending out a new one. Good service !

Spoke to the guys at GameGolf and they are sending out a new one. Good service !

Great service - I guess complimentary ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

just been re-reading through this as I have been thinking about getting one for ages.

You know on How-Did-I-Do they way you can embelish you round, you can choose what type of shot. can you do this with Game Golf? Eg, Full shot, knock down (as in on purposre - into the wind) chip, pitch, putt, greenside bunker, long bunker, flop, etc... oh yea and the Duff!.... if not, do you think it should be part of the options? I do.

You should be able to exclude certain shots from your stat reports

You know there are a lot of devices out there for stat tracking etc. I have a Garmin Approach G6, the best GPS onthe market when I bought it, but it really is no good for anything other than distance measuring, despite having all sorts of features for stat tracking. It wouldn't be hard for them to change that.

I guess my point is, there doesn't appear to be one single product on the market that will do everything and record stats the way they should be for really decent stat reporting, but from what I read, see and hear, this is probably the one that has come closest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There is definitely a space in the market for something like that Seve. I was thinking the same at the show last week. It wouldnt be hard to insert the tagging device into a gps watch etc.

I'm sure someone is working on it already.

That's the thing with technology though, if you stagger your product releases, you're quids in.
    I think I read somewhere that Apple do this to great effect. In that, they hold back on releasing new features even though they could incorporate them into the latest products. Gotta save something for the iphone 7,8,9,27,28,29 :)

PARlance wrote: »
    There is definitely a space in the market for something like that Seve. I was thinking the same at the show last week. It wouldnt be hard to insert the tagging device into a gps watch etc.

I'm sure someone is working on it already.

That's the thing with technology though, if you stagger your product releases, you're quids in.
    I think I read somewhere that Apple do this to great effect. In that, they hold back on releasing new features even though they could incorporate them into the latest products. Gotta save something for the iphone 7,8,9,27,28,29 :)

I know what you mean, but I'm not to sure that they are working on that kind of stuff. I'm talking simple stat recording stuff that is no great leap in technology. Technology is where I think they would be holding back for the future releases.

Eg. Garmin owned the GPS market for years, I'm not talking golf, just GPS in general, so they have had plenty of time to get the simple stuff right, and it just hasn't happened in their golf section. I've a Garmin for my bike, a Garmin running watch and Garmin Golf GPS. The bike thing I have is class, proper stats, screen info etc. The device is old now and newer versions have included the likes of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, live tracking (syncing with your phone), colour screens, bigger screens etc. The stats on the computer have improved changed :p(matter of opinion) slightly, but with those changes their website gets updated and I get the new stats info even though I'm still using my old device. Running watch is pretty similar, though I wouldn't think it's in the same league as my bike device, but it was a cheaper end of their range.

With the top of the line golf unit I have, the stats are pure muck, useless and pointless and pretty much non-existent. So much so, I wouldn't buy one again. But the unit itself is capable of so much more than the stats it produces, but really is good for nothing other than distance measuring.

I'm not a fan of phone apps, and wouldn't be inclined to use one, but a simple phone app could do everything necessary to give the best of stat tracking. Start there and that could lead onto a physical device, which could improve over future releases.

The is definatley a genuine gap in the market for an all in one product and if that came in the form of an App, I would pay for it, but would much rather an physical unit. Who knows, maybe something worth looking at for people who develop golf software ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Seve OB wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but I'm not to sure that they are working on that kind of stuff. I'm talking simple stat recording stuff that is no great leap in technology. Technology is where I think they would be holding back for the future releases.

Eg. Garmin owned the GPS market for years, I'm not talking golf, just GPS in general, so they have had plenty of time to get the simple stuff right, and it just hasn't happened in their golf section. I've a Garmin for my bike, a Garmin running watch and Garmin Golf GPS. The bike thing I have is class, proper stats, screen info etc. The device is old now and newer versions have included the likes of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, live tracking (syncing with your phone), colour screens, bigger screens etc. The stats on the computer have improved changed :p(matter of opinion) slightly, but with those changes their website gets updated and I get the new stats info even though I'm still using my old device. Running watch is pretty similar, though I wouldn't think it's in the same league as my bike device, but it was a cheaper end of their range.

With the top of the line golf unit I have, the stats are pure muck, useless and pointless and pretty much non-existent. So much so, I wouldn't buy one again. But the unit itself is capable of so much more than the stats it produces, but really is good for nothing other than distance measuring.

I'm not a fan of phone apps, and wouldn't be inclined to use one, but a simple phone app could do everything necessary to give the best of stat tracking. Start there and that could lead onto a physical device, which could improve over future releases.

The is definatley a genuine gap in the market for an all in one product and if that came in the form of an App, I would pay for it, but would much rather an physical unit. Who knows, maybe something worth looking at for people who develop golf software ;)

Can I ask what sort of stats you get from say a Bike Garmin. Am I right in thinking when on the bike you dont have to input anything into the device once your off on your ride?

Am genuinely interested as I would have thought the stats for golf are far more difficult to incorporate easily and automatically into a device that didnt have a similar tracker to Game Golf on each club.

Webbs wrote: »
    Can I ask what sort of stats you get from say a Bike Garmin. Am I right in thinking when on the bike you dont have to input anything into the device once your off on your ride?

Am genuinely interested as I would have thought the stats for golf are far more difficult to incorporate easily and automatically into a device that didnt have a similar tracker to Game Golf on each club.

Re the bike, yes, no mucking around, just get out and do your thing. Stats are like top speed, average speed, Heart rate, elevation, comparisons , the list goes on.

On the Golf, you are right, there would be a lot more input... But I don't see that as a problem. On a bike tipping away at 50KMPH or even 20KMPH I don't have time to be entering information. When I hit my shot in golf it might take me 5 minutes to walk to the next shot and wait for other guys to hit, so I do have time to play with the unit.

Even without adding functionality to the unit and requiring moreinput, it could be better. Eg. It's GPS so tracks my round. I wouldn't mind spending a little time on PC after and marking where I played my shots from, what club I hit, etc etc, but you can't!
    You can only put your stats into the unit, you can't change a thing on the PC after so if you make a mistake or omit something it's there forever.
    There is a function that you can press to measure the distance you hit your club, but if you make a mistake, maybe click the wrong club,forgot to measure, you can't edit on PC. it only tracks club average. you can't omit any irrelevant shots from stats. it doesn't have anything to do with the round you recorded, it's a seperate tool.
    There is a scorecard function on the unit, but it's to simple, records hole score and how many putts. no option for penaltys, OB, drops etc... could be something simple to edit on pc after....but you can't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Can one of you guys tell me if citywest (updated championship course) is on the game golf website. Id love to buy the product but when I bought a gps watch the front 9 around citywest wasn.t up to date. Ive updated the software for the watch so hopefully its working now..will test it at the weekend.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Can one of you guys tell me if citywest (updated championship course) is on the game golf website. Id love to buy the product but when I bought a gps watch the front 9 around citywest wasn.t up to date. Ive updated the software for the watch so hopefully its working now..will test it at the weekend.

is that an Oxymoron :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

I know i know...there was a second course named the lakes course and the other course was called the championship course..sadly it was destroyed by greed. But if you guys can access the course guide on the game golf website maybe you could pm me the layout of first 3 holes id appreciate it..or one of you can play the course next weekend with myself as a guest free of charge!!!

GameGolf just goes off Google Maps so you won't gleam that much info. try here as you can click on each hole and it will show you tee boxes and green for the entire course...

http://www.swingbyswing.com/courses/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/Citywest-Golf-Course/50518

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Nozebleed wrote: »

http://www.gamegolf.com/golfcourse/30850

Looks like it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

had my first round with game golf device yesterday. Its pretty cool once you download all the stuff when you get home. playing for the first time in 4 months off mats and managed 34 points at a windy island gc.

stats were atrocious though, my driving was stink and I reckon if I push those stats up a bit, I'd probably make the tour. :D

Anyone would like to share their stats?

Ill go first... after 37 rounds

AVG SCORE

F'WAY ACCURACY
    54%

LONGEST DRIVE
    YDS

PUTTS PER HOLE
    AVG
    (17 three putts)

GIR
    34%

Not much to give realistic stats yet but after 5 rounds:

Average score: 85.1

Long drive: 290 yards

Average putts: 1.9
    22% 1-putt
    69% 2-putt
    9% 3-putt

FIR: 53%

GIR: 40%

Scrambling: 19%

Approach stats (getting inside 15yrds)
    From 75-100yrds 67%
    100-125yrds 71%
    125-150yrds 42%
    150-175yrds 38%
    175-200yrds 50%
    Outside 200yrds 9%

Birdies 2%
    Pars 42%
    Bogeys 41%
    Doubles 10%
    Worse 5%

Scrambling & putting numbers need to improve, and going by the numbers I should be giving myself approaches of 100-125 yrds to maximise my chances of sticking it close.

Weird spike in my numbers from 175-200, but it is a small sample size & they'd be in hybrid range for me, which I feel more comfortable over than a long iron generally.

• Advertisement

15 rounds, only 1 off the white sticks so not reflective of real performance, clean and place in these stats too...

AVG SCORE

Fairways
    56%

Scrambling
    28%

PUTTS PER HOLE
    AVG

LONGEST DRIVE
    YDS (thanks to a path :pac:)

GIR
    34.1%
    AVG

0%
    EAGLES
    4%
    BIRDIES
    44%
    PARS
    35%
    BOGEYS
    11%
    DBL BOGEYS
    6%
    +3 OR MORE

Off the tee
    23%
    LEFT
    203 YDS
    AVERAGE
    57%
    FWAYS HIT
    271 YDS
    LONGEST
    20%
    RIGHT

Inside 100yards
    1%
    LEFT
    18%
    SHORT
    68%
    < 15 YARDS
    7%
    LONG
    3%
    RIGHT

Outside 100yards
    13%
    LEFT
    26%
    SHORT
    47%
    < 15 YARDS
    7%
    LONG
    13%
    RIGHT

Total Putting
    2%
    0 PUTTS
    29%
    1 PUTTS
    63%
    2 PUTTS
    7%
    3 PUTTS

Par 3 Scoring
    0%
    EAGLES
    2%
    BIRDIES
    47%
    PARS
    40%
    BOGEYS
    10%
    DBL BOGEYS
    2%
    +3 OR MORE

Par 4 Scoring
    0%
    EAGLES
    3%
    BIRDIES
    36%
    PARS
    38%
    BOGEYS
    15%
    DBL BOGEYS
    9%
    +3 OR MORE

Par 5 Scoring
    0%
    EAGLES
    8%
    BIRDIES
    61%
    PARS
    24%
    BOGEYS
    3%
    DBL BOGEYS
    3%
    +3 OR MORE

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭delboykelly

Too many stats to type, can I post link or something?

Too many stats to type, can I post link or something?

Just highlight with your mouse, copy and paste, when you paste into the reply all the fonts etc. will be cleaned up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Good average score lads - 85 and lower.

Good average score lads - 85 and lower.

Yeah, as slave says though, off preferred lies & generally more forward tees since I've got it up & running.

Stats may take a hit this weekend, first comp in my new club (castlewarden) & it's strokes from the back tees. Gonna have to get used to tighter drives than I'm used to in grange castle

Big difference off forward tees for me anyhow, gutted I didn't get out today to work more stats in, told the course would probably be closed until 11 with severe frost forecast and that was just too late for me to get 18 in as other bits and bobs today, course opened at 9.30, happy for those who got out but I'm still gutted...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yeah, as slave says though, off preferred lies & generally more forward tees since I've got it up & running.

Stats may take a hit this weekend, first comp in my new club (castlewarden) & it's strokes from the back tees. Gonna have to get used to tighter drives than I'm used to in grange castle

Good move Space - great set up there.

You know I'm a total sceptic on technology - but always turn :)
    I do understand that - men are men - and their gadgets.

But this game is insidious how it tips away at your brain - "you need this" - " this is the next step" - lol , go out and practice your putting idiot. :p

Still don't like the touching aspect from a design perspective - and will be bypassed by a clever piece of design.

Anyone like to give an idea - how the stats changed their approach to the game ?

Do we not all know, behind the stats - our true weakness in the game ? Particularly when we are mostly mid to high handicap players ?

I can see how this is important in elite golf. Very.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Just saw that game golf is on sports direct.com if any of ye are looking for it a bit cheaper. €175 w/o p+p

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

OVERALL STATS - 7 ROUNDS

AVG SCORE - 89.5

PUTTS PER HOLE - 1.8 AVG

LONGEST DRIVE - 299 YDS (a gale behind me)

GIR - 20.8% AVG

F'WAY ACCURACY - 37%

SCRAMBLING - 14%

Pretty small sample size, we've had a load of team competitions over the the winter months so it hasn't gotten a real workout yet. My numbers have improved over the last 2 or 3 rounds, so over time i should hope to see some real value to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Edmundy

Wish you guys would would put your club handicap with your stats !

Advertisement