Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Golf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Not much to give realistic stats yet but after 5 rounds:

Average score: 85.1

Long drive: 290 yards

Average putts: 1.9
    22% 1-putt
    69% 2-putt
    9% 3-putt

FIR: 53%

GIR: 40%

Scrambling: 19%

Approach stats (getting inside 15yrds)
    From 75-100yrds 67%
    100-125yrds 71%
    125-150yrds 42%
    150-175yrds 38%
    175-200yrds 50%
    Outside 200yrds 9%

Birdies 2%
    Pars 42%
    Bogeys 41%
    Doubles 10%
    Worse 5%

Scrambling & putting numbers need to improve, and going by the numbers I should be giving myself approaches of 100-125 yrds to maximise my chances of sticking it close.

Weird spike in my numbers from 175-200, but it is a small sample size & they'd be in hybrid range for me, which I feel more comfortable over than a long iron generally.

Handicap is 11.6

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dossy

At my own expense.....went to course today all set to use Game Golf....forgot to charge it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

For the users, what are the 3 main advantages / things you draw from using it?

I really like the stats from the short game side of things. That seems a very useful tool.

For the rest of the stats, I'm struggling to see how it's much better than a free stats app.
    I'm sure I'm missing something, what is it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Golfnut77

PARlance wrote: »

I really like the stats from the short game side of things. That seems a very useful tool.

For the rest of the stats, I'm struggling to see how it's much better than a free stats app.

I hated it initially, found it very awkward putting it into my routine and then standing over the ball the 'did I tag it or not' thoughts. And also having to add in shots when you forget to buzz it.

But it's definitely a useful bit of kit. I think the main advantage is it gives you unbiased stats, for instance you might say your putting was bad and think you need to go work on that but looking through your stats it shows that your approach shots were way off and left yourself tougher putts than you should have.

So the best thing for me has been guiding me a lot better on what I need to work on between rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭delboykelly

My round in Wicklow today. Short wedge shots were awful...

http://www.gamegolf.com/round/230149

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭gotapaininmy

PARlance wrote: »

One benefit I've found from it is that it adds a bit more pressure to just your casual round of golf. If you stupidly or sadly take some pride in your stats it adds a little bit more meaning to that chip or that putt which I think can only be good thing for the days when you have a card in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

One benefit I've found from it is that it adds a bit more pressure to just your casual round of golf. If you stupidly or sadly take some pride in your stats it adds a little bit more meaning to that chip or that putt which I think can only be good thing for the days when you have a card in your hand.

then you ll have the golf game cheats with great stats and no performance with a card in the pocket

opps i forgot to tag

levitronix wrote: »
    then you ll have the golf game cheats with great stats and no performance with a card in the pocket

opps i forgot to tag

True but they are totally fooling themselves. Let them on of hats what they want to do. I use it to help understand my stats, no point in adjusting them after to make em look good. I'm finding it a handy gadget. I'm After realising I don't hit my irons quite as far as I thought!!! Today I was 8 over in Palmerstown off 13hcp. Here's my round. Made a mess of the 2nd and 18th. Other than that played well.

http://www.gamegolf.com/round/234259

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

True but they are totally fooling themselves. Let them on of hats what they want to do. I use it to help understand my stats, no point in adjusting them after to make em look good. I'm finding it a handy gadget. I'm After realising I don't hit my irons quite as far as I thought!!! Today I was 8 over in Palmerstown off 13hcp. Here's my round. Made a mess of the 2nd and 18th. Other than that played well.

I think gamegolf is doing the same job strava done for cycling, its a great tool but I think one of the biggest strengths it has is bringing competition through social media , post your scores and stats for friends to see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Thanks, that's pretty cool. Haven't seen any of the stats or website from game golf previously.
    Out of interest what happened on 15, topped 3 wood off the tee and later chipped in for par or you forgot to record the putter strokes?

• Advertisement

Thanks, that's pretty cool. Haven't seen any of the stats or website from game golf previously.
    Out of interest what happened on 15, topped 3 wood off the tee and later chipped in for par or you forgot to record the putter strokes?

Ah feck, nah Didnt top that one anyway(been known to do it all the same!!). That should be 3 wood off the tee(hit right but got lucky and had a gap beside a tree to a green, wedge to beside the green, chip on and 1 putt for par.
    Weird hole that one. The 15th at Palmerstown is a par 6. Hardly any dander off the tee and it's an index 6. Can't see why.

One thing I keep finding is im tagging about 5 or 6 extra shots a round when the club is resting against my waist where the tag is. Or sometimes it decides it's detected a shot when I didn't tag at all. Like the other day went over t look for another lads ball, went home to log round and it said shot detected... I didn't even have a club with me so couldnt be a miss-tag. Must be if I'm around the one area for a while the tag thinks I've hit a shot and not tagged it.

The stat I'm noticing the most is that I'm short on approach to most greens with my irons. That's something I'm already trying to work on after getting the GameGolf. Also when I compare today's round to the pros I hit as many fairways but not as many greens. And therefore have more up and downs which I don't convert so both them stats could do with improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

For 7 rounds playing off 17:

Average score: 89.9

Average drive: 230 yards

Average putts: 1.81
    24% 1-putt
    65% 2-putt
    9% 3-putt

FIR: 40%

GIR: 22%

Scrambling: 19%

Approach stats (getting inside 15yrds)
    From 75-100yrds 55%
    100-125yrds 59%
    125-150yrds 27%
    150-175yrds 42%
    175-200yrds 25%
    Outside 200yrds 0%

Birdies 2%
    Pars 31%
    Bogeys 41%
    Doubles 20%
    Worse 7%

Golfnut77 wrote: »
    I hated it initially, found it very awkward putting it into my routine and then standing over the ball the 'did I tag it or not' thoughts. And also having to add in shots when you forget to buzz it.

But it's definitely a useful bit of kit. I think the main advantage is it gives you unbiased stats, for instance you might say your putting was bad and think you need to go work on that but looking through your stats it shows that your approach shots were way off and left yourself tougher putts than you should have.

So the best thing for me has been guiding me a lot better on what I need to work on between rounds.

Sorry for the delay, was meant to reply sooner.

Thanks, I wouldn't be a fan of the "buzzing" but I'm sure I'd get used to it too.

I'm still struggling to see how it's worth the money though. Free apps like golfshot etc will give you most of the stats.
    Fair enough you won't get the distances but they seem to only give average distances (?) which to me, seems nothing more than a "nice to know". If I hit 10 drives and 6 go 250, then knock down the other 4 going 50 each... Then my average drive is 170 yards... That's a fairly useless stat IMO.

I do like the % based on the short game but I wouldn't spend 200 quid and a lot of buzzing to find what I could find out in practice.

Re the putting, do you buzz at the hole or is the length of the final putt known? From what I've seen of it, this doesn't seem to be captured and that's a significant piece of info to be left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It was mentioned at one stage PARlance

That it looks at shots only in a range - 90 to 110 % of average. (something like that)

So that is very good. And would be worth a lot to your game.

"As you play more rounds, the site starts to calculate average distance for every club. It’s smart enough to throw out clearly mis-hit shots, like the 5-iron I shanked 40 yards during one round. Over time, you start to get a clear, realistic picture of how far you actually hit the ball when you’re playing"

From my own point of view - couldn't handle the buzzing and charging and bringing - It is enough hasle to get a gps fully charged to your round.

One device will do all at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

That it looks at shots only in a range - 90 to 110 % of average. (something like that)

"As you play more rounds, the site starts to calculate average distance for every club. It’s smart enough to throw out clearly mis-hit shots, like the 5-iron I shanked 40 yards during one round. Over time, you start to get a clear, realistic picture of how far you actually hit the ball when you’re playing"

From my own point of view - couldn't handle the buzzing and charging and bringing - It is enough hasle to get a gps fully charged to your round.

Incidentally Fix, they've just added a Play Golf button to their app which turns your phone into a standard GPS but seems a little more enhanced than golf shot. Let's you select your club etc & appears to let you tag shots without actually tagging your club. It says not to be used in conjunction with the tagging device?

Haven't tried it but could be worth someone who doesn't have the device downloading the game golf app & seeing if it's any good?

That's fair enough, but surely that's something we can figure out ourselves after a bit of practice; a few rounds or just learning from experience.

Does it account for wind, temp, slope etc? Big variables to factor in on stats.
    I just think people would be better served figuring out their distances by themselves, or even a launch monitor, as a once off and then take them to the course and adjust accordingly.

Don't mind me, buzzing aside, I'm just not massively bought into it.

That is it space.

I think it is a fine concept - but poor design. This day and age , no need to tag or carry anything on body - looks fairly bulky. I just think it is the spectrum zx81 - versus 48K - that is harsh - but an analogy. Ok, maybe the first smart phone versus I Phone 5.

They are all factors PARlance - but most golfers work off a distance of generality (+/- 5 yards). There would be very few have consideration for slope and temperature.

With more and more shots into data - factors causing + influence will be negated by factors causing - influence (wind , temp , slope), so your average over time will be excellent , remove ego and give you real data - this datum would be far superior versus any once off or other effort to work out distance. It is an average improving with time. This average is figure you then - add or subtract considering conditions , course , wind etc.

Of all the data put forward so far - I like that a lot.

This looking at your round on a map - is a novelity , it is like looking at your house on google earth for the first time - cool , cool for a day (IMO)

Sure - I much rather , or just like, remembering every shot myself. There are so many more things to a shot versus , a to b.

I don't really see the output necessarily reaching excellence after time. But by time I guess you mean hundreds if not thousands of shots with each club?
    That could be many years golf for the casual golfer assuming they hit (excl driver & putter) each club 3-4 times a round.

Sample size aside, a golfer is going to be playing most of their golf at one course, if that course is hilly then you're going to be basing most of the input will be flawed imo. You could find yourself hitting 2-3 wedges that will go 150 on some holes, then have to hit a 5 or 6i on others to go 150.
    Even on a flat links, half the holes may be into a prevailing wind, the other half against... you're not going to be hitting the same clubs to balance it out?
    If that is the basis of the majority of the input then I dont see the output being excellent either.

That's without mentioning the hassle of editing the data yourself if you decide to play shots like a low punch shot by clubbing up if that is something you do, or 3/4 swings etc.
    If forgotten to be done, excellencebis further away.

Jump on a launch monitor and find out your "average" in perfect conditions and then adjust these to the conditions you play in would be my view.
    Save some money and less buzzing.

I'm not sure who the product is targeted at ?

but - it is hardly at a casual golfer ? Not sure what a casual golfer is at this stage.

Someone getting up on a launch monitor for this reason - is not a casual golfer. Launch monitors are very difficult to access - and not in natural golf environments. They are very expensive , technically demanding and typically professional expertise is required.

After 10 rounds - you would have good data. Sure we can ask here - how has it changed your game - I admit the response had been muted.

But - there are all sorts of scientific debates about launch monitors - in particular , is a product that gives you your true distance in your conditions - on your ground with true roll and real ball, of better value to you - another days debate.

But - depending on the tolerance (must look up what it is) - +/- 5 % of 150 yards is only 142 to 157.

Also looking at the slope of distance per club (or gaps in distance) - you could see if one club is outside the expected progression .

Yes a 15 yard range if +/- 5 is large - but over 10 rounds of golf - the unusual 8 iron condition will either not make range - or will be exposed to 10 to 15, 8 irons in the normal conditions. The influence of average of normal conditions will eventually win out.

I think it is very good - and will win out over most guys saying - I hit an 8 iron 150 (as they do)

And if your game golf is wrong - with each passing shot your reality will be more and more accurate -

Anyway , your not for turning , but I would use this info well - as I could apply my own + or - tolerance to data - till I felt it was accurate.

Anyway - not a chance I would wear one. :D

But - IF ? a good argument was to be made for it - good golfers, I mean some lads from say (I will just pick a figure) 14 down. Are still poor in.

a) knowing where a flag is and how long a green is (this will not solve that)
    b) knowing how far they hit a club. (this is the best thing I've seen for this)

By the way - I did all above with a GPS - one shot distance feature - but an aspect of gps that is poor - is practice grounds are not mapped.

After all that - you know my position on all this - would love no electronic aid in the game at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I'm not sure who the product is targeted at ?

but - it is hardly at a casual golfer ? Not sure what a casual golfer is at this stage.

Someone getting up on a launch monitor for this reason - is not a casual golfer. Launch monitors are very difficult to access - and not in natural golf environments. They are very expensive , technically demanding and typically professional expertise is required.

After 10 rounds - you would have good data. Sure we can ask here - how has it changed your game - I admit the response had been muted.

But - there are all sorts of scientific debates about launch monitors - in particular , is a product that gives you your true distance in your conditions - on your ground with true roll and real ball ball of better value to you - another days debate.

But - depending on the tolerance (must look up what it is) - +/- 5 % of 150 yards is only 142 to 157.

Also looking at the slope of distance per club (or gaps in distance) - you could see if one club is outside the expected progression .

Yes a 15 yard range if +/- 5 is large - but over 10 rounds of golf - the unusual 8 iron condition will either not make range - or will be exposed to 10 to 15, 8 irons in the normal conditions. The influence of average of normal conditions will eventually win out.

I think it is very good - and will win out over most guys saying - I hit an 8 iron 150 (as they do)

And if your game golf is wrong - with each passing shot your reality will be more and more accurate -

Anyway , your not for turning , but I would use this info well - as I could apply my own + or - tolerance to data - till I felt it was accurate.

Anyway - not a chance I would wear one. :D

But - IF ? a good argument was to be made for it - good golfers, I mean some lads from say (I will just pick a figure) 14 down. Are still poor in.

a) knowing where a flag is and how long a green is (this will not solve that)
    b) knowing how far they hit a club. (this is the best thing I've seen for this)

By the way - I did all above with a GPS - one shot distance feature - but an aspect of gps that is poor - is practice grounds are not mapped.

After all that - you know my position on all this - would love no electronic aid in the game at all. :)

Sounds like somebody's turning though ;)

Fully expect to see you all tagged out in the near future :pac:

I quite like gadgets but this one doesn't really interest me. Agree that surely the gps watches should somehow be able to map from one point to another in a field or range so you can work out your own distances.

• Advertisement

Just noticed 30 day money back guarantee.

I should get it for 30 days - play 20 rounds - get data , send back :p

slave1 wrote: »
    Think you're correct, pulled this from their FAQ
    We provide you with an aggregate collection of all the shots that you have recorded with the device for each club in your bag, as well as a low, average, and high for each club. GAME GOLF automatically filters out punch shots and poorly hit shots from your "Club Performance", provided that you have recorded multiple shots with that particular club. A club's typical distance represents approximately how many yards a 90-95% swing would yield under typical conditions

This is the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I liked the look of it initially but wasn't playing enough to justify it or getting the use of it. Now I think the boat has come and gone and we will see a far superior product soon enough.

Already Arccos Golf looks very similar from the brief clip I have seen but without the tagging of every shot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

redzerdrog wrote: »
    ...Already Arccos Golf looks very similar from the brief clip I have seen but without the tagging of every shot...

That does look quite impressive but

a) look at the price!! My GG cost less than a ton on Amazon
    b) look at the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Can get an almost brand new game golf for just over 100 quid. Worth it or not! Bear in mind money is tight enought. Decisions decisions?

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Can get an almost brand new game golf for just over 100 quid. Worth it or not! Bear in mind money is tight enought. Decisions decisions?

No - you can get 5 lessons on OTT for that.

(IMO) - Game golf is for elite players.

slave1 wrote: »
    That does look quite impressive but

a) look at the price!! My GG cost less than a ton on Amazon
    b) look at the price

Yes - as we said on here very early on.

The taging was going to be gone.

Now that is a product.

Edit.
    No, looked it up there - a few annoying features too. Still not perfect. Review below.

Cons:
    - this app requires constant attention while you play. I had my phone in my back pocket on my 3rd time playing with the app. The shot tracker was 4 holes behind by the time I realized. Tracking that round was shot.
    - the putting is horrible. It consistently had me taking 3 or 4 puts when I would have less than that. Furthermore, you can't even tell which puts were real and which ones were phantoms. I made this point to tech support, they said to try only replicating the putting stroke while putting to avoid false positives.. Maybe it's me, but when I'm playing golf, I don't want to have to worry about what I'm doing while preparing to hit.
    - stats related to the green just don't seem correct, related I'm sure to the poor putting experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

shaunac93 wrote:

if ya want it, go for it, if you are into stats, get all over it. I can't understand this elite only stance.

No - you can get 5 lessons on OTT for that.

(IMO) - Game golf is for elite players.

Not many products are aimed at elite players.

I would imagine elite players have far less to gain from game golf as they probably have a fair idea of what game golf is going to tell you. You don't get to becoming elite without having a real good knowledge of your game imo.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

But PARlance - would you buy game golf - or get 5 lessons ?

Advertisement