Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feckin weather!

• 29-12-2014 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

I'm off all this week and absolutely itching to go for a round today but every course in Galway city and county is closed due to the frost. Doesn't look like the temps will get up much today so I won't be going anywhere:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I'm off all this week and absolutely itching to go for a round today but every course in Galway city and county is closed due to the frost. Doesn't look like the temps will get up much today so I won't be going anywhere:(

Try Connemara Isles (small 9 hole course), it was open yesterday despite the frost.
    I was booked and paid to play Oughterard on Stephen's Day but the day was so horrendous with wind and constant rain I decided to cancel and forfeit my green fee. Pity as both the preceding and following day were both very nice.
    It's an awful time of year for golf, you get a nice sunny and calm day but the courses are closed with frost or alternatively you have to play in gale force winds and driving rain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Forget about today, hoping to get out tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Such frustrating weather I reckon tomorrow will be a right off too for the midlands. That's three rounds I haven't been able to play.

Seriously windy out there at the minute, anyone brave it today?
    Getting out in the morning so hope it will die down a good bit, unfortunately there will be a big temp drop too, me no likes cold+wind :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Was planning on a round in the morning but 15 m/s windspeed is just too much to have fun I think.

Leaving it until Monday or Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

I'll be hitting the range soon enough after my dinner this evening.

Tomorrow i have a lesson down in rosslare with a few others.

Followed on sunday by my clubs captains drive in with a small comp afterwards.

Will be interesting what my health will be like come monday morning:rolleyes:

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    ...Was planning on a round in the morning but 15 m/s windspeed is just too much to have fun I think...

index.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Famytintera.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F08%2Ftumblr_m11s9bAvDq1qjemo2o1_400.gif&size=400x1000

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm due to play in the morning...I shall not be bringing the trolley!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

I'm due out in corballis int he morning as well. What clothing would people recommend for tomorrow ( very strong winds and no rain )

My thinking is the tighter the clothes the better otherwise you'll be blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Me boombastic

Head south no frost here in limerick. All courses here are open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Played 18 this afternoon, windy windy windy.... but enjoyed it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

ryaner777 wrote: »
    I'm due out in corballis int he morning as well. What clothing would people recommend for tomorrow ( very strong winds and no rain )

My thinking is the tighter the clothes the better otherwise you'll be blown away.

Lots of thin tight layers I reckon, under armour all the way. Throw a pair of long johns on under the trousers too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

attempted to play today in the wind and rain but it was so disheartning..every second shot would be heavy and when a good contact was made the wind would just carry it away. It made me feel like my game was in a miserable state. Roll on the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,710 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Due to play in am.

But that looks unplayable ?

Anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Due to play in am.

Anyone else.

where you playing ? I'm heading out to corballis. Either a PW or a 4i to the first depending on the direction of the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Due to play in am.

Anyone else.

3 to 7 degrees in gusty to strong westerly winds. Take more than that to stop me, plan to play in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

As much as I'd love to play but this is no fun. Here to stay for a few days too by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,710 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

mafc wrote: »
    3 to 7 degrees in gusty to strong westerly winds. Take more than that to stop me, plan to play in the morning

I'm soft but.

No will play. But a bit impractical .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Played this morning in Seapoint with the foolhardy notion I would get in before the worst of it.

It was lovely until the seventh, was tempted to walk in after nine, I knew it was only going to get worse but I had just hit a 6 iron to 12 feet so the lure of better golf ahead proved too strong.

My umbrella snapped in two on the back nine (I'm never buying another brolly in Heatons; you get what you pay for) and then one of my trolley wheels buckled and the bag wouldn't stay upright.

It was enjoyable in a twisted masochistic sense. I love golf :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Waited all week for a round and now it's giving gale force winds and out breaks of rain. Wouldn't mind but there one or two nice days in the week. Could have to bloody cancel, hate this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Due to head to Mount Juliet tomorrow for a hour long lesson. Alarm set for 6. Not sure about it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Wombatman wrote: »

where is that. I d say amazing in the summer!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Golf cancelled :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Keano wrote: »
    Golf cancelled :(

Course closed ?

Not 100% sure but I would presume so as one of the lads was checking with thr course this morning and he sent me a text to say no golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Cancelled mine last night, wake up this morning to a strong breeze and little else !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Keano wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but I would presume so as one of the lads was checking with thr course this morning and he sent me a text to say no golf.

Nice morning out there now if a bit windy.

Yip, but at 8 this morning with the wind and a wet looking course they had to make a decision :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Got out this am, had all types of weather; some rain, some sun, all wind. 'Twas nice to be out

Advertisement