Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feckin weather!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Great morning for poor golf. can't beat it :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yikes, poor little fingies thawed out at last, very windy and v cold too but given the weather next week braved it for 36 off the forward tees...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

im playing in the morning,the more wind the better.seperates the men from the boys.you would rarely see a soccer match or hurling match called off due to windy conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

agusta wrote: »
    im playing in the morning,the more wind the better.seperates the men from the boys.you would rarely see a soccer match or hurling match called off due to windy conditions

Do you know what - do we know too much about the weather - the night before yesterday - I was working out that 15 m/sec = 54 km/hour - :rolleyes:

For God sake - as a young lad you would wake up, pull curtains to see what mystery the day had in store. The only thing that would ever stop a game is a flooded pitch.

As others have said, are we golfers on here or not ? You live in Ireland get out and do it (Sorry self motivation speech over :P )

When I got to the course in morning - there was others saying , "I expected today to be called off" - I half did myself. Another lad laughed, how could you call off golf because of wind, your in Ireland .

And then we are off, have all the gear, if I didn't use it, why do I have it ? The only thing is my young soft skin was like this :o at end. - Any good tips from the seasoned lads ?

I'm not saying - I love playing in it - but I did love it yesterday - It is true, if you can hit your irons well - you are at a major , major advantage.

So a week of wind - twice in winners circle.

I wish I could work out how to use this game on a normal still day in june.

As The Big said - I love golf :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Course closed this morning due to flooding, forecast no better for next week, I really picked two bad weeks for holidays from work

• Advertisement

Tips for keeping warm for me it's all about the hands as two quality layers and a windbreaker top and I'm fine. For my hands it mitts with a hand warmer and mitts on and off all day, unfortunately I didn't think it would be as cold yesterday as it was so left my hand warmer at home, find it very hand to hit my irons with numb fingers and harder still to gauge putts, bring on shorts and sunblock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

slave1 wrote: »
    Tips for keeping warm for me it's all about the hands as two quality layers and a windbreaker top and I'm fine. For my hands it mitts with a hand warmer and mitts on and off all day, unfortunately I didn't think it would be as cold yesterday as it was so left my hand warmer at home, find it very hand to hit my irons with numb fingers and harder still to gauge putts, bring on shorts and sunblock!
    For me like you the hand are most important,keeps the clubs dry is the second most important.
    A tip i got from a senior golfer i got years ago, On really cold days to get your hands to warm up.Before you play rubs your hand in the cold grass and keep doing it until they are nearly numb.Very hard to do,You nearly have to go through the pain barrier to do it right.20 minutes later your hand will be on fire with the heat in them,you wont have any need for gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Yesterday was very playable, bar the odd drizzle icing the hands, was great to get out, such a relief

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Barnseire

For those of you with 'hands that do dishes' and can't stand a little cold breeze like over the weekend, invest in a pair of Mizuno thermal gloves. I got a pair from Santie and they are the dogs. At one stage my hands were on fire, unfortunately my game wasn't. Less than 20 euro delivered from amazon. A must for Winter golfers. No need to flaff around taking on and off mitts, just leave them on and enjoy.

I think I won crazy golf of the year today. 20 M/sec wind, played 13 practice in Corballis.
    2nd hole 2 - 5 irons normally 2 - 9 irons.
    the par 3 9th - normally a 6 iron - Full driver. (lol)

So was interesting to experience it, headed in as bag was just blowing over too much, and my bag is stable and heavy enough.

Not sure what I made of it, was more like an endurance test.

Got 5 pars, were sort of flukes / freaks.

Par on 9 , worth the day out, a first a driver to about 10 feet on a par 3.

A laugh - well strange.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

You are officially crazy Fixed. Not sure what you are learning in conditions like that!!

Keano wrote: »
    You are officially crazy Fixed. Not sure what you are learning in conditions like that!!

That I am crazy.
    1st step in any problem......

Hang on about 9 /10 others out.

You is mad
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I've done that kind of madness before, i remember playing in the west one year and RD1 of qual was cancelled (takes a lot for them to cxl) due to high winds, literally balls were being blown off greens at speed! so a few of us went out to play a few holes as they opened the course for casual play. Was some of the best fun ive had on a golf course, driver into the 4th and one of the ads hit his 3w onto the 18th.

Actually was a good move coz it was just as windy the next day so had a good idea what to expect!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Barnseire

I don't know about crazy. I think it's always good to learn how to play in wind and there's no better place to practice than extreme conditions, like hitting driver off the deck from bald lies, or trying to hit low hooks into the wind, or forcing punch shots from 30 yards out instead of throwing it up.

You can learn valuable lessons out there, and no need to power up the GPS !

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

So there will be frost tomorrow in Dublin I presume? Very cold tonight and not going to warm up much past a few degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Just got an email from the club to make sure to check the automated message before travelling to the course this saturday and sunday due to the heavy frost that is forecast.
    If the forecast is anything to go by I'd say a lot of courses will be closed this weekend : (

Tomorrow will be a little better than today. Today was perfect if you were on coast or a links.
    Killeen Caslte was closed due to the sleet that had fallen.

But, if you do get out at all, looks a fantastic day for golf. Double up - socks and everything.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/hour_by_hour.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Woke up to beaming sunshine..said to myself lets go for a round..got the gear together threw on the wet gear just to be safe..got in the car. Do you think I could get the car to start!! No hope..battery was totally flat..doesnt get more annoying than that..spent whole day lookin out the window.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Woke up to beaming sunshine..said to myself lets go for a round..got the gear together threw on the wet gear just to be safe..got in the car. Do you think I could get the car to start!! No hope..battery was totally flat..doesnt get more annoying than that..spent whole day lookin out the window.

No push or jump around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

No push or jump around.

Unfortunately not..tried leads but the battery is completely gone. Im hoping the alternator isnt the real problem. Anyway back to the golf!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So I got a text that golf is off again tomorrow - course has been closed the last few days :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Fingers, toes and eyes closed that the course is open sunday. Was optimistic till i looked at the midlands weather for the weekend! !

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Me boombastic

Can anyone here let me know what the weather is like around the heritage tonight. I'm due to play there early in the morning

Can anyone here let me know what the weather is like around the heritage tonight. I'm due to play there early in the morning

lovely if you do get out.

Last time I was there - even when conditions improved they were gone for the day.

But, with it being a saturday they will hardly do that.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Killenard/hour_by_hour.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'd imagine my course will open late, not sure I could be arsed standing in line to tee off only to be jumped eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Tomorrow morning is our best chance guys. Sunday is going to be deffo off....Jack Frost

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Fingers, toes and eyes closed that the course is open sunday. Was optimistic till i looked at the midlands weather for the weekend! !

Think we can all forget about it around here, another hard frost and no defrost, no golf for a while :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Just back from my round :D

• Advertisement

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Just back from my round :D

looked lovely out.

I'd imagine all links were open today from the off ?

Advertisement