Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feckin weather!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

slave1 wrote: »
    Think we can all forget about it around here, another hard frost and no defrost, no golf for a while :(

Looking that way alright. Grass is still frozen here and its supposed to freeze harder tonight. Am still hoping to get out though

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Reckon we are done for, Tulfarris and Blessed Lakes closed today, tomorrow looking well ropey. Next weekend looking better with milder weather pushing in from the Atlantic according to the weather Board people.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Tee'd off today @ 12, beautiful day for golf, course in reasonable condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

Played this morning in Athy, 13 holes, temp greens was a lovely brought morning but freezing cold start at 910

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Beautiful morning in the west but every course around is frozen solid :(

• Advertisement

Played 18 holes in glorious winter sunshine this morning. Few temp greens but last few were on full greens. Great to have the first round of the year under my belt.....hopefully its my worst round of the year!! Was atrocious at times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

Went out for 9 holes this afternoon after my practice session.

I was amazed the course was open considering the hard frost last night. All the greens were still pretty much frozen.

Then on the 16th the whole lake was frozen over

Punched a 3 iron down the length of the lake and the sounds were quite amusing. Pity I was on my own so couldn't get a video of it

P.s sorry for vertical video haha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Out today in Corballis was hilarious as the greens were frozen - felt a bit wrong playing, but the lads know what they are doing out there, they were so hard, no impression was made at all.

Was nice, all the same, but impossible to get a ball on a green , and then putting was like snooker how fast it was , with bits of ice on green

By the way the greens are exceptional at the moment.

Almost got 18 in , till i came across a 4 ball (lads in that 30-40 age range), on knees reading putts and all, they had lost 2 holes in 12. A joke, they were on the 13th green in the time I played 12 a par 5 :eek: .

Nice to see them out enjoying themselves - but lads , it is 1 degree out :D
    move fast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

still mad, here someone pass a tee to Fix, he's over there

drug-reimportation-left-in-the-cold.jpg?itok=LZS3g_Op

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

still mad, here someone pass a tee to Fix, he's over there

drug-reimportation-left-in-the-cold.jpg?itok=LZS3g_Op

No, when I'm off I'm off.

Almost didn't go today - but at 12 it decidedly increased in temperature to 2 degrees :D

I'll be honest the greens were a bit pointless for putting , a sw wouldn't even stop on them. Could honestly bounce 9+ feet in air.

• Advertisement

Long term forecast not great for us away from the coast, getting out tomorrow morning but after that temps look bad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Looking better in the midlands, hopefully its a sign of the frost retreating so the early rounds come back into play

Long term forecast not great for us away from the coast, getting out tomorrow morning but after that temps look bad :(

Looks ok on East Coast for a week.

Was a lovely morning in the Midlands for golf today, slight breeze every now and then but nothing major.

Whoo hoo, first time out in over two weeks, hands cold for the first 6/7 then lovely, great to stretch the back...

Jaysus lads some change in the weather again.

Making sure I get 18 tomorrow - looks unsettled again - some snow storm or something US east coast causing it.

I beginning to wonder about long term forecasts at this stage.

Lovely today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Yep, according to the Met Eireann website, there's a big freeze on the way including next weekend, grrrrrr..... (or should I say brrrrrr)

One of the other lads said to me , our mini winter league could turn into mini spring league. No where there is a will there is a way. But this is testing.

There is plenty of great days out there, if you can go last minute, but longer term planing over the last what - 6 weeks now, has been near impossible.

If not ice, it has been exceptionally windy.

Where are you heading to tomorrow Fix?

Where are you heading to tomorrow Fix?

A little up in the air, will know in a few hours - pm us if you want a game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Played mitchelstown today in blustery conditions. more cigarettes smoked under trees than balls hit in the driven snow:-) Am I a sad case to say I thoroughly enjoyed it even though it took 3 hours for 14 holes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Between the weather and my headcold that comes and goes for the last 4 weeks I have played 11 & 16 holes since November. Next two weekends are out too due to business trip. This is the worst ever. <sobs> :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Last game I played was in November with a company outing.

I'm such a fairweather golfer. I've scratched my name of the sheet now for about 7 weeks in a row :'(

Was supposed to head out to a local range for junior cup panel meetup last night, was dieing to go, then traffic imploded with the snow.

Making a concerted effort to get back swinging from next week ( scratched name of for this weekend ahah)

I love my golf, absolutely love playing, but I can't fathom how anyone enjoys winter rules, freezing temperatures and rain.

It's not pretty, I'm seriously looking at getting away for a week for a bit of sun and heat somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Can't deal with this weather, so frustrating. Tommorow is 60km/hour winds and Sunday is -4 degrees until dawn then peaking at 1 degree in Dublin anyway.

What a clusterf*ck

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

It's not pretty, I'm seriously looking at getting away for a week for a bit of sun and heat somewhere...

Looking at the golf in Dubai is killing me, would love to jump on a plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

Just thinking, the gear companies must be delighted when it rains on the tour players - they get so little opportunity to parade their wet gear. Very rare you see them wearing anything but t-shirts and tight tops. Rickie Fowler is currently wearing the gaudiest looking blue Puma rain gear in Arizona though it'll probably result in a spike in sales.

I've played the last two Sundays and today and I'll admit it, I'm the worst fair weather golfer of ye all. Was great to be out, enough light layers and the cold is no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Curses to the weather ahead of tomoros frost cancel....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Played this morning toughest yet. How in God's name did I forget my skin layer? Lad beside me playing with one of those chemical hand warmers in his pocket. €1.49 in Tesco. Swears by them.

Advertisement