Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feckin weather!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Its snowing here now ��

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

Played this morning and don't think i've ever been so cold playing golf. Wind chill was unreal, first time in three weeks on full greens which was a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

Played this morning and don't think i've ever been so cold playing golf. Wind chill was unreal, first time in three weeks on full greens which was a surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Rain and wind today looking for break in rain and I am off, need my fix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Was really looking forward to a game this morning, but it's just a horrible day. Hate when the forecast is right, it kept saying all week that it was going to rain today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Played today started 1.30 played 20 holes 3 ball took 2.5 hours.
    Stayed dry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Played today in Castlebar in driving wind and rain. Very few out. Got to the 10 th before we lost the will to live.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Played today in Castlebar in driving wind and rain. Very few out. Got to the 10 th before we lost the will to live.

Just when u probably thought your weekend couldn't get worse.

Galway bay closed today due to rainfall and high winds. Kinda glad in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Just when u probably thought your weekend couldn't get worse.

Galway bay closed today due to rainfall and high winds. Kinda glad in a way.

I know :)

Castlebar should have been closed, course waterlogged. Roll on the summer!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Peace comes dropping slow.

Time for none 3 to 4 club wind golf - and work out real club distance.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Donabate/long.html

• Advertisement

What a difference a week makes.

Near gale - when you blow over my bag - you know this is the limits, I often have a small child in my bag.

Played 12 - was delighted any time I made a par. Unreal wind on coast.

Nice looking out - but all the gear on.

As people say - is that golf worth anything to your game ?

Ok tomorrow same again Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I played 12 holes after work yesterday evening. Did most of it in my t-shirt as I t was a beautiful evening. Got lots of good practise in.

I got up early this morning to go and play in a competition and woke to 40kts of wind and sideways rain! Grrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Looked at forecast yesterday and Sunday looked woeful so changed my medal round to today instead. The first 2 hours today was as bad as I can remember playing in. Wind has the flags almost touching the green!

Moral of story: never try cheating the golfing gods as they will always win the basterds.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Fourth Sat in a row in a howling gale, pain in me hoop, and another 0 all draw in Talla last night, and no match of the day tonight and me lawnmower wont start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Windy as **** out there, two smash drives (for me) and still short on two par 3's, slight touch of fade and ball gone with prevailing LtoR wind, 4 putts for a point led to 4 scratches, only the one hole where the wind was with us and beside the green of par 5 with two nice hits, supposed to be windier tomorrow so I took my name off the time sheet, better things to be doing than torture of medal from back sticks in that...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Due to play in the morning and will be needing the wet gear! Wonderful.

Keano wrote: »
    Due to play in the morning and will be needing the wet gear! Wonderful.

Me too - first comp of year.

Trying to remember when I played in rain that bad - a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

Barton cup practice in the morning. Just getting over the flu. Really not looking forward to it.

First game - since I started thinking I was getting good at golf.

Sure of a .1 - and about 26 points.

I fully deserve it.

Heading for a pint tonight so.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭gymman39

Pouring down this morning and the playing partner rang me..glad he did as we would have been drowned and i didnt fancy it...lovely weather all week and it buckets down on a sunday..typical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

gymman39 wrote: »
    Pouring down this morning and the playing partner rang me..glad he did as we would have been drowned and i didnt fancy it...lovely weather all week and it buckets down on a sunday..typical

Similar enough, after a very windy and wet night woke to even more rain so rang the course half expecting/hoping it to be closed and competition cancelled. No such luck so battled it out in the waterproofs, not even qualifying yet but since I was on the time sheet and not knowing my playing partners I wasn't going to be a no show. Bloody cold too with the rain and wind so tough conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭whizbang

Wuzzz..

Rain in wicklow stopped by 9.30am, and going by the radar, it was the last place to clear...
    and it was almost the warmest day this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Crazy rain this morning, our monthly medal was called off, had a 4foot putt for biride on the first when the alarm went off. Was gutted:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

dar_cool wrote: »
    Crazy rain this morning, our monthly medal was called off, had a 4foot putt for biride on the first when the alarm went off. Was gutted:pac:

I was seriously pissed off arriving at the club at 09:15 to discover an abandoned car park. Transpired the competition (our first monthly medal and matchplay qualifier) was cancelled shortly after 09:00 as greens were starting to flood for the early starters and there were numerous players cancelling their tee times. Of course I only got the text advising of the cancellation as I drove in the carpark so a wasted one hour round trip. So frustrating when the weather had been great all week and it along with the Masters viewing was really building the appetite for the first medal.

Do you think it should have been cancelled, course still playable? It was seriously milling it down and very windy but to be honest I've played in worse and the forecast was to improve so perhaps a rain delay would have been better given it was a major competition. Of course weather has much improved since and even the sun is making an appearance now while looking out. Going to be a lot of issues trying to reschedule when the date was already set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Hard to judge, I know in our case the course was unplayable, I have never seen gusts like it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I was seriously pissed off arriving at the club at 09:15 to discover an abandoned car park. Transpired the competition (our first monthly medal and matchplay qualifier) was cancelled shortly after 09:00 as greens were starting to flood for the early starters and there were numerous players cancelling their tee times. Of course I only got the text advising of the cancellation as I drove in the carpark so a wasted one hour round trip. So frustrating when the weather had been great all week and it along with the Masters viewing was really building the appetite for the first medal.

Do you think it should have been cancelled, course still playable? It was seriously milling it down and very windy but to be honest I've played in worse and the forecast was to improve so perhaps a rain delay would have been better given it was a major competition. Of course weather has much improved since and even the sun is making an appearance now while looking out. Going to be a lot of issues trying to reschedule when the date was already set.

Yeah was unfortunate, bit of a mad decision to have placing only in fairways when i started, 08:00, we got as far as the first green and in fairness it was pretty bad, the greenkeepers had the pins up high on all greens. Ive also played in worse. Not sure what there going to do with the medal now?
    Pity as its grand out now and forecast is good for rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭whizbang

Brilliant, going to screenshot this to all my foreign buddies. Always 9C and showers they say...!

whizbang wrote: »
    Brilliant, going to screenshot this to all my foreign buddies. Always 9C and showers they say...!

They are foreign, because they are no craic and don't understand Irish golf.

• Advertisement

Lads - what a day for golf.

Went out and played just before 8 - just the greenkeepers - and birds, in perfect still conditions.

Perfect silence, intruded.

Lads - the "Feckin weather" is back soon.

But as my dad says - "we need a bit of rain - isn't it a great little country". :D

Advertisement