Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tiger Woods Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Did he try turning them off then on again?

"Reboot the glute" is the techinical term I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

The physical demands of the sport are taking their toll on Tiger. Tiger was the first super athlete in the game and it is sad to see him burn out like this. But how many people do we know personally who have had hip and back problems from playing the sport? Like the recent retirees in rugby who were the first to play entire careers in the professional era, I predict many future chronic problems as a result of bowing down to the physical demands of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

It is very sad to watch Tiger trying to make a comeback. It is just over a year that he was No. 1 - winning tournaments but falling short in Majors. Now it seems anything will do - how about just making the cut. It is sad to watch one of the greatest golfers ever look like an old man of the course even before he has reached 40! Nicklaus won the Masters at 46 - Tiger is light years from such a feat. Most golfing fans would love to see some hope for the man but alas it appears futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I don't want to get too Freudian.

But, we seen something from Tiger tonight that gave us more of an insight into him, than we have ever seen. I'm watching him, what - 20 years.

It is to be admired - as it made him who he is. It made him win so much - almost another level.

Seeing another pro pick up a tee is, well we all know. A low moment. The other pro was class on the day , was it Billy Horshel - I think Tiger was almost , go away. But fair play Billy a guy that is not easy to warm to.

I know something about every other sports guy I'm watching as long as Tiger.
    But, with Tiger -Nobody knows anything - even the golf pros there do not seem to be playing with him. Watch other pros having fun with groups they are in.

It is awful and fascinating to watch.
    He was a manufactured Golf Pro by his father. He never had a real life.
    He was always trying to prove himself. He did - but it never seemed enough. Then - when there is a gap to the person you seek approval too - what happens ?

I love him as a golfer.

But would have liked him to be more balanced.

I was thinking the other day - a sport guy at that level - I've been watching him so long.
    I asked myself a question - Who is Tiger's friend ?
    Couldn't Answer it.

I admire that about Rory. He "seems" to have a bit more in life.

Would love to see Tiger back - but don't think the body can do anything, you try push it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

2015 may be the year when Tiger calls it a day. I'd say if the masters end in a disaster or WD he may be done with it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Tiger has lost the hunger is the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

I wouldn't say he has lost the hunger, he is a born winner. he will struggle to get anywhere near the playing level of todays pros now that he is not fully fit. I cant see him competing for a win again. 10-15 years down the line I fear the same injury for Mcilroy with his swing and hip rotation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Very sad to see and see him hounded in the parking lot too, that was neither the time nor the place, guy needs space and respect and getting neither. He has chosen to separate himself on a professional level, that's what works for him, and without playing the race card you can see from early interviews he had a VERY tough time in his teens in how he was treated and insulted on courses (that he managed to get onto) and treatment like that can have long term emotional impact.
    He has friends but non professional, I went diving in Florida a few years back and the chat with our captain on the boat got around to weather and perfect year around for golf and the guy tells me he trained Tiger for deep dives and spent a lot of time with him, gentleman was his opinion, polite, quiet and respectful, never once mentioned golf so your man never brought it up, said he loves diving and Tiger said it was because he felt free underwater with no one eyeing him and the sense of freedom it gave him, we're talking rebreather deep dives so 2hrs plus I'd imagine so plenty of time to "escape".

Tiger will return, he will adapt or whatever is required to compensate for damage done to date, he will win tournaments again and that will include a major.
    Keep the faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

slave1 wrote: »
    Tiger will return, he will adapt or whatever is required to compensate for damage done to date, he will win tournaments again and that will include a major.
    He won't return. He's done for at the top level. His body is broken and because of that he keeps trying to invent a new swing that will help him over come it but that' not possible. It's sad to see but hopefully he can go out with some grace and not be a David Duval.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

Swing looks terrible. Still coming across it too much.
    The sooner he gets back to a draw the better.
    Chris won't last until summer.

He's not young man anymore and needs to remember that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I fear for Tiger, I really do. He just seems broken.

And I fear for him as a man, not just as a golfer. FDP just put it very well a few posts back......what on earth is he going to do with his life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Seeing another pro pick up a tee is, well we all know. A low moment. The other pro was class on the day , was it Billy Horshel - I think Tiger was almost , go away. But fair play Billy a guy that is not easy to warm to.

I didn't warm to Horshel immediately, but he grew on me last year. Exciting player to watch. He topped it off by the class he showed in having won the final tournaments of the year, including the Fed-Ex cup and not getting picked for the Ryder Cup (wild cards were chosen earlier than they should have been). For a guy who is obviously patriotic he handled the media really well.
    “I’m sure Tom Watson isn’t kicking himself for not picking me,” he said. “I’m sure he wants to kick me for not playing well sooner”

What possessed him to keep going yesterday? It was hurting him from the 3rd. Surely the first signs of anything wrong with your back should scream "STOP PLAYING!" inside his head? With his history he needs to take care of it. Continuing to play when your back is out is crazy for anyone playing golf, let alone a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

PARlance wrote: »
    "Reboot the glute" is the techinical term I believe.

What does it mean????

vienne86 wrote: »
    What does it mean????

His gluteus maximus muscles were frozen up, he needed them to kick in to swing properly - "Reboot the glute"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The TV coverage after he withdrew last night was farcical. It was bad enough that they talked about practically nothing else for the previous hour and a half, when he quit there was no golf coverage at all for about 20 minutes. We had close ups of him being driven back in the buggy, loading the car and driving off. We even had someone broadcasting while standing in his empty parking space.

You wouldn't be surprised if flags were lowered to half mast and players issued with black ribbons.

I know money is the name of the game and the broadcasters and advertisers wanted to squeeze the last drop of ratings out of it, before they suffer their usual 20% drop when he's not there. But it is stuff like that that has turned me off him and personally I can't wait until he gets permanently out of the way and golf can resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Tiger has never done anything half-assed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

First Up wrote: »
    The TV coverage after he withdrew last night was farcical. It was bad enough that they talked about practically nothing else for the previous hour and a half, when he quit there was no golf coverage at all for about 20 minutes. We had close ups of him being driven back in the buggy, loading the car and driving off. We even had someone broadcasting while standing in his empty parking space.

You wouldn't be surprised if flags were lowered to half mast and players issued with black ribbons.

I know money is the name of the game and the broadcasters and advertisers wanted to squeeze the last drop of ratings out of it, before they suffer their usual 20% drop when he's not there. But it is stuff like that that has turned me off him and personally I can't wait until he gets permanently out of the way and golf can resume.

I remember one tournament where they kept going back to a camera view of his empty parking space in anticipation of whether or not he would or wouldn't play.
    There is a certain element of Catch 22 involved in the coverage. The more they fixate solely on Tiger when he is their, the more they suffer the effect when he is not.
    I understand and agree with your frustration but we can hardly blame Tiger himself.

I remember one tournament where they kept going back to a camera view of his empty parking space in anticipation of whether or not he would or wouldn't play.
    There is a certain element of Catch 22 involved in the coverage. The more they fixate solely on Tiger when he is their, the more they suffer the effect when he is not.
    I understand and agree with your frustration but we can hardly blame Tiger himself.

Not saying we should but without him the Tiger industry disappears and golf will ultimately be the better for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

I don't want to get too Freudian.

But, we seen something from Tiger tonight that gave us more of an insight into him, than we have ever seen. I'm watching him, what - 20 years.

It is to be admired - as it made him who he is. It made him win so much - almost another level.

I know something about every other sports guy I'm watching as long as Tiger.
    But, with Tiger -Nobody knows anything - even the golf pros there do not seem to be playing with him. Watch other pros having fun with groups they are in.

It is awful and fascinating to watch.
    He was a manufactured Golf Pro by his father. He never had a real life.
    He was always trying to prove himself. He did - but it never seemed enough. Then - when there is a gap to the person you seek approval too - what happens ?

I love him as a golfer.

But would have liked him to be more balanced.

I was thinking the other day - a sport guy at that level - I've been watching him so long.
    I asked myself a question - Who is Tiger's friend ?
    Couldn't Answer it.

I admire that about Rory. He "seems" to have a bit more in life.

Would love to see Tiger back - but don't think the body can do anything, you try push it to.

Without really having that much interest in his personal life, even I know that Notah Begay is a long term and also a current friend of Tigers.

Being no 1 on the tour often has no friends in the locker room. Lack of familiarity with the other pros can be seen as a way of maximizing the intimidation factor. Nicklaus and Hogan were respected without being particularly close to anyone on the tour. Nelson as well but probably for his religious convictions. I'm not sure that VJ or Sir Nick had many friends either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

newport2 wrote: »
    What possessed him to keep going yesterday?
    I think he's in denial about his health. He's constantly trying to convince himself he's healthy and powerful when he clearly isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I think he put his back through so much strain, that it wasn't going to last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

I think he's in denial about his health. He's constantly trying to convince himself he's healthy and powerful when he clearly isn't.

This is it in a nutshell..he is constantly playing injured and his obsession with hitting the ball as hard as possible doesnt help.

personally its frustrating the amount of coverage he gets and his playing up to it by grimacing and holding his back after trying to hit a 4 iron as hard as possible is ott and feeds the us nertworks obsession with him. If its that sore/bad just step away until its fixed.

This is it in a nutshell..he is constantly playing injured and his obsession with hitting the ball as hard as possible doesnt help.

personally its frustrating the amount of coverage he gets and his playing up to it by grimacing and holding his back after trying to hit a 4 iron as hard as possible is ott and feeds the us nertworks obsession with him. If its that sore/bad just step away until its fixed.

For sure age has caught up with the stresses he places on his body - that violent swing action was only sustainable under a ferocious physical regime and at 39, he just can't keep doing it.

Mind you he hasn't helped himself with his obsession with military style training. Hank Haney's book has some interesting stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I read that and if true which I have no reason to doubt it's a bit crazy. It's like he had a midlife crisis at 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

With Harrington hitting the rocks massively as well - is this just the inevitable scenario in sport - where the older performers decline - and the newer guys on the block - Shane Lowry, Rory Mc Illroy and co come on the scene to take over.

In other sports - team sports especially - you've constantly got people leaving the scene - and new guys coming in.

The Kilkenny hurling team is an obvious example - DJ went - Henry Shefflin came along - Henry will retire but a new guy will take his place

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Just released a statement via his website saying he will not be back until he feels his game is tournament ready

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

Did he not say before start of Phoenix open that his game was tournament ready. With only eighth weeks to the masters it's hard to see him tee it up there with the state his game is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Says he's taking "an indefinite break" but follows on to say he could be playing The Honda Classic, which is in two weeks!
    I think he needs clarity of mind, sounds like a mid-life golf crisis...
    Such a shame to see...

Advertisement