Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

official footage showing the thief class , also the bow and arrows. it's spoiler free, probably old footage they are just releasing to get us all excited !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The bow and arrow is nice and fast but I think this move is weapon art as it depletes the mana bar.

GracefulHeavenlyHalcyon.gif

The game looks great though. The Bloodborne engine lends itself well to the art style.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The bow and arrow is nice and fast but I think this move is weapon art as it depletes the mana bar.

GracefulHeavenlyHalcyon.gif

The game looks great though. The Bloodborne engine lends itself well to the art style.

That bow-shooting is some ugly animation, surely that's not final?

Only a month from release so it's fairly final I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

that whole area looked awful, gamecube level ****. gameplay looked fantastic though and every other location shown so far has looked incredible so just have to hope they didn't do a dark souls 2 on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

strelok wrote: »
    that whole area looked awful, gamecube level ****. gameplay looked fantastic though and every other location shown so far has looked incredible so just have to hope they didn't do a dark souls 2 on it

i think i read on neogaf that the footage is from a very early build , that they were just releasing as a teaser really !

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

All Souls games have sub par graphics and animations, ultimately though who cares as long as they keep up the standard of the gameplay we've come to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mickeroo wrote: »
    All Souls games have sub par graphics and animations, ultimately though who cares as long as they keep up the standard of the gameplay we've come to expect.

It is part of the charm of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I would say inconsistent would be a better description, some parts look great, some much less so!

Xenji wrote: »
    It is part of the charm of the games.

Speaking of charm, I played blighttown on PC for the first time recently. Was glorious after struggling though it on the PS3 for years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Clearly after 4 souls games, it's obvious animation isn't their thing. It's below the industry standard. But they are getting better every game. Incremental improvements which is good.

I'm hoping for better boss design personally. Challenging without being cheap is a line they have struggled to walk at times. I'm hoping for more than "dodge for 15 seconds, R2 during his big swing, dodge for 15 seconds" from this one.

Kirby wrote: »
    Clearly after 4 souls games, it's obvious animation isn't their thing. It's below the industry standard. But they are getting better every game. Incremental improvements which is good.

I'm hoping for better boss design personally. Challenging without being cheap is a line they have struggled to walk at times. I'm hoping for more than "dodge for 15 seconds, R2 during his big swing, dodge for 15 seconds" from this one.

if the dancer of the frigid valley is anything to go by they've put a bit of attention into the boss fights for DS3

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

if the dancer of the frigid valley is anything to go by they've put a bit of attention into the boss fights for DS3

I hope so, this is one area that really annoys me, the get a really cool lloking boos and then the camera goes crazy when you are fighting them, especially dragons and tall enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Anyone else hoping we get some concrete evidence that all the games are linked somehow? Maybe not so much Demons Souls and Bloodborne but the Dark Souls series atleast. As a lore nerd i want a big revelation linking all 3 games to the same world/area and give us all closure on the series as a whole, rather than them just being 3 games that are set in very very similar worlds. That would just be boring and somewhat disapointing..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Some fairly strong evidence in that cinematic that they are all linked...

Giant Lord in DS2

Giant Lord in DS3

Plus the trailer mentions DS1 stuff like the Lords of Cinder (Gwyn was a Lord of Cinder, are there more?), linking the fire, bells tolling, the Abyss.

i'm not thrilled about the multiple lords of cinder aspect. lord of cinder was such a fitting term for gwyn at the end, it feels so cheap to just throw it around to any old fart who sacrifices themselves to the flame.

i'd love for them to go into further detail on the dark soul but i haven't seen any mention of humanity so far in any DS3 stuff so i doubt they're going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

i'm not thrilled about the multiple lords of cinder aspect. lord of cinder was such a fitting term for gwyn at the end, it feels so cheap to just throw it around to any old fart who sacrifices themselves to the flame.

i'd love for them to go into further detail on the dark soul but i haven't seen any mention of humanity so far in any DS3 stuff so i doubt they're going to.
    By the weird lore of Dark Souls, Gwyn was the first one to sacrifice himself to the flame, so was a lord of cinder. By extension, anyone else who has done that was also a lord of cinder. So, it makes sense that there are a few lords of cinder, as it seems this is going to be the case. I don't think it makes it more cheap, I think it makes it a lot more interesting, as well as changing the humanity mechanic and not being an undead is also going to be interesting!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone else hoping we get some concrete evidence that all the games are linked somehow? Maybe not so much Demons Souls and Bloodborne but the Dark Souls series atleast. As a lore nerd i want a big revelation linking all 3 games to the same world/area and give us all closure on the series as a whole, rather than them just being 3 games that are set in very very similar worlds. That would just be boring and somewhat disapointing..

Well this one is set in Lordran again so there's something concrete right there, there was plenty of hints in the second game of them being linked too but nothing too explicit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

From are giving someone 10 grand for explaining the Dark Souls lore of 1 and 2 so new players can understand what's going on. They are picking a winner this month but some people already have their entries on youtube.

I always liked the lore vids from vandti (sp).

• Advertisement

*vaati

epicnamebro is another good one too. i kind of prefer vaatis videos and interpretation but i hate the tone of voice he puts on during his videos, so damn cheesy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Well this one is set in Lordran again so there's something concrete right there, there was plenty of hints in the second game of them being linked too but nothing too explicit.

Lothric, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

J. Marston wrote: »
    Lothric, isn't it?

Yeah its Lothric judging from the trailer.

Multiple Lords of Cinder would kind of make sense since the player character from Dark1 would kill Gwyn and sacrifice himself to the flame, thus becoming a lord of cinder? Or could there be lots of lands where people sacrifice themselves to the flame becoming Lords of Cinder and Lordran + Gwyn is just one of them...

multiple lands requires kind of a massive retcon though, there is one flame according to dark souls.

and even with challengers coming to fight and supplant the player character from dark souls 1.... who are the bosses he has to fight? we've killed everybody

do millions of undead just saunter on down into the kiln of the first flame whenever they feel like it and have a pop at the champ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

multiple lands requires kind of a massive retcon though, there is one flame according to dark souls.

and even with challengers coming to fight and supplant the player character from dark souls 1.... who are the bosses he has to fight? we've killed everybody

do millions of undead just saunter on down into the kiln of the first flame whenever they feel like it and have a pop at the champ?
    It's a lore thing. You were the chosen undead in DS1, so you were the only one that was ever destined to make it that far. Many others tried (most of the NPC's hollow in DS1, or died and help you out from a different timeline when they were trying to get through Lordran) but all failed, apart from your character.

Also, giving yourself to the flame gives people humanity back for a time, but doesn't actually stop the curse happening again. It will continue to happen until the undead chooses not to rekindle the fire, but then someone will come to do it anyway. So it's just futility.

I must have misheard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Think i'll do a full playthrough of the first two games before this comes out. Been ages since i played the first, and never actually managed to finish the 2nd.

Kiith wrote: »
    Think i'll do a full playthrough of the first two games before this comes out. Been ages since i played the first, and never actually managed to finish the 2nd.

DS 2 is a lot easier I found, once you pumped enough souls into the iframe stat (cant remember it off the top of my head).
    The DLC in 2 was some of the best level design from both games.

I've just finished Demon's Souls, 5 years after first buying it. Glad I've got all the Soulsborne games finished before DS3 comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,176 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I forgot all about preordering.

I really wanted a metal case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

I cannot bloody wait for this game to come out.

Advertisement