Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

Season Pass confirmed, 2 DLC mentioned in the description

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-23247-Dark-Souls-III-Season-Pass-Outlined.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

for a game I know nothing about the prospect of two dlcs has me stupidly excited

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Meanwhile at FROMSOFTWARE HQ

Yz05WfM.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Good idea to offer Dark Souls 1 (backwards compatible) as a free game on the Xbone.
    Shame there is nothing for us PS gamers :(

Good idea to offer Dark Souls 1 (backwards compatible) as a free game on the Xbone.
    Shame there is nothing for us PS gamers :(

It'll be interesting to see how running as backward compatible on the xbox one will affect the Blighttown frame rates :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

It'll be interesting to see how running as backward compatible on the xbox one will affect the Blighttown frame rates :pac:

high end pc, frame rates still occur in blighttown :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    high end pc, frame rates still occur in blighttown :/

No issue for me and im playing on a 5 year old machine. I'm not sure if it affects frame-rate but getting the DSFix mod for Dark Souls on PC is essential

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Not sure if it was confirmed already but Dark Souls 3 can now be pre-ordered on Steam. It was probably guaranteed since 1 and 2 also got PC releases

This game will unlock in approximately 1 month, 3 weeks, 5 days and 12 hours

so soon

so soooon

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The bow and arrow is nice and fast but I think this move is weapon art as it depletes the mana bar.

GracefulHeavenlyHalcyon.gif

The game looks great though. The Bloodborne engine lends itself well to the art style.

Yupp weapon art confirmed to shoot faster, draining mana. Found a vid that translates that gameplay vid. Very helpful as it explains the battle art for the dagger at the start is to give you a new dash, draining mana, that's faster than a roll.

• Advertisement

I saw the preorder is on ps store now. 70 quid for game and soundtrack. 95 quid for deluxe edition which includes soundtrack, theme and season pass. 70 is pricey enough, never mind the 95, will just wait for the dlc to release individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'll wait for the ultimate edition to be in bargain bins and 60fps patch... maybe. Otherwise just skip this one totally.

FYI the Deluxe Edition already available for 66 quid on PC if you look around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'll wait for the ultimate edition to be in bargain bins and 60fps patch... maybe. Otherwise just skip this one totally.

FYI the Deluxe Edition already available for 66 quid on PC if you look around.

If you order the base game and seasons pass separately on kinguin it cost a total of €55.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's no confirmation anywhere that the PC port is locked to 30FPS either, other than a few outraged forum posts around the place with no cited sources...

There's no confirmation anywhere that the PC port is locked to 30FPS either, other than a few outraged forum posts around the place with no cited sources...

Yup it's only guess work right now based on from software having a history of tying game logic to the frame rate in their game engines. Because of this all previous games have been locked to the same frame rate as the console releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭Evade

Isn't the Scholar of the First Sin edition of Dark Souls 2 60ish FPS on current gen consoles? I don't see why they'd go back to locking it at 30 FPS for Dark Souls 3.

Evade wrote: »
    Isn't the Scholar of the First Sin edition of Dark Souls 2 60ish FPS on current gen consoles? I don't see why they'd go back to locking it at 30 FPS for Dark Souls 3.

Scholar of the First Sin was xbox360/ps3 graphics with a slight improvement to light sources running on new console hardware so 60 fps was no problem. Dark Souls 3 will look more like Bloodborne which ran at 30 fps on ps4(it actually had trouble holding 30fps and had issues with frame pacing). My guess would be 1080p 30 fps on PS4 and 900p 30 fps on xbox one.

Mid level gaming PCs easily have the power to push 60 fps at these graphic settings but from software have a history of tying game logic to frame rate. This unfortunately means that even 3rd party mods will be unable to unlock the frame rate without causing weird game issues.

I'm not really complaining, I've pre ordered and expect to enjoy this on PC regardless of frame rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

tuxy wrote: »
    Scholar of the First Sin was xbox360/ps3 graphics with a slight improvement to light sources running on new console hardware so 60 fps was no problem. Dark Souls 3 will look more like Bloodborne which ran at 30 fps on ps4(it actually had trouble holding 30fps and had issues with frame pacing). My guess would be 1080p 30 fps on PS4 and 900p 30 fps on xbox one.

Mid level gaming PCs easily have the power to push 60 fps at these graphic settings but from software have a history of tying game logic to frame rate. This unfortunately means that even 3rd party mods will be unable to unlock the frame rate without causing weird game issues.

I'm not really complaining, I've pre ordered and expect to enjoy this on PC regardless of frame rate.

I'd say you're right with the console resolutions and frame rates, but iirc Dark Souls on PC was their first PC port in a long while, so was going to be rough, and they received a lot of backlash over the fps lock on DkS2 on PC.

I'd imagine they never patched it given they new SOTFS was coming up, ala banning graphical mods. A major dickmove but no one was under illusions about the dickishness there.

They actually made Dark Souls on PC, and bothered making SOTFS 60fps so they evidently do respond to fan feedback, so here's hoping PC may get a 60fps option.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Dark Souls had no 60fps problems bar the ladders. I like to hope DkS2 was just how it was coded and they couldn't be arsed patching correctly so we can a fps lock, gives me more hope they'll recognise that in future games, and this

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Dark Souls had no 60fps problems bar the ladders. I like to hope DkS2 was just how it was coded and they couldn't be arsed patching correctly so we can a fps lock, gives me more hope they'll recognise that in future games, and this

Jumping and rolling distance were shortened when you ran DS1 at 60fps. SOTFS was a cash in imo, easiest change they could make to resell the game was to increase the fps.

Afaik PC only get the same patches as consoles.
    People who unlocked the frame rate in vanilla DS2 noticed weapons degrading much faster. This was of course reported many time by players to from software. About 12 months later SOTFS is released and has this bug on all platforms. This is quickly fixed with a patch. If the team were to receive any feedback from the PC community SOTFS would never have been released with that bug, it's only when it affects the console version that issues like this are resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

tuxy wrote: »
    Jumping and rolling distance were shortened when you ran DS1 at 60fps. SOTFS was a cash in imo, easiest change they could make to resell the game was to increase the fps.

Afaik PC only get the same patches as consoles.
    People who unlocked the frame rate in vanilla DS2 noticed weapons degrading much faster. This was of course reported many time by players to from software. About 12 months later SOTFS is released and has this bug on all platforms. This is quickly fixed with a patch. If the team were to receive any feedback from the PC community SOTFS would never have been released with that bug, it's only when it affects the console version that issues like this are resolved.

That's what I mean, they weren't arsed patching it so just gave us the fps lock

That's fair enough, didn't know SOTFS had that bug on release

• Advertisement

That's what I mean, they weren't arsed patching it so just gave us the fps lock

But they didn't even do that much, people had to use graphic card setting or 3rd party modding to cap their fps to 30 to play vanilla DS2 correctly.
    Both PC versions along with console were then fixed a year later, shortly after SOTFS release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The "Bloodborne" engine would have been forked well before SotFS was worked on so whatever FPS fix was applied there would need to done to the Bloodborne engine too.
    I dont hold out too much hope on the PC build of DS3 being top quality especially after the number of terrible PC ports over the last 12 months from developers who should know better.

I'll get it initally for PS4 but I know I'll double dip in a year or so for the steam version.

Tell me about it. Capcom, who have had a good track record up until recently have removed keyboard rebinding and direct imput from Street Fighter V.

I expect to be able to play Dark Souls 3 at console setting probably with the help of some day 1 mods. I can buy the PC version for €35 and season pass for €20 compared to €70 and €25 on console so I think it's worth the gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

I'd say you're right with the console resolutions and frame rates, but iirc Dark Souls on PC was their first PC port in a long while, so was going to be rough, and they received a lot of backlash over the fps lock on DkS2 on PC.

I'd imagine they never patched it given they new SOTFS was coming up, ala banning graphical mods. A major dickmove but no one was under illusions about the dickishness there.

They actually made Dark Souls on PC, and bothered making SOTFS 60fps so they evidently do respond to fan feedback, so here's hoping PC may get a 60fps option.

While the locked frame rate was all kinds of crappy on the PC, once the game had been designed around a fixed time step, changing it to a variable time step is non-trivial to the extreme. It wouldn't be a case of just being too "lazy" to patch it, moreso the fear of touching on the majority of the core game systems and ensuring stuff doesn't break horribly, not just in obvious ways but in less obvious one too, would have been enough to make them cautious about committing to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,176 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I never usually care about steel books...but is this apocalpyse edition only available from gamestop? 75 is steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

I just realised today when I went to check out pre-orders that the 24th of March is the release date for Japan and that we have to wait until April 12th :(

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Pre-order made. Looking forward to this!

Rewatching lore vids today, a few in paticular that pieces the story together through item descriptions. How levels through the roof for this. Watching a speed run of dark souls 1 as well which was ridiculous. Out of the asylum in 2 minutes!

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Rewatching lore vids today, a few in paticular that pieces the story together through item descriptions. How levels through the roof for this. Watching a speed run of dark souls 1 as well which was ridiculous. Out of the asylum in 2 minutes!

epicnamebro did a long lore based lets play recently of dark souls 1, he tried to make it his definitive DS1 playthrough

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQDWoXFQ-YLpeEFkzeDZF1MmNQS7BDoI4

it's really good, he goes in depth into a lot of cool stuff.

• Advertisement

strelok wrote: »
    epicnamebro did a long lore based lets play recently of dark souls 1, he tried to make it his definitive DS1 playthrough

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQDWoXFQ-YLpeEFkzeDZF1MmNQS7BDoI4

it's really good, he goes in depth into a lot of cool stuff.

Excellent, thanks man. Was just looking for more vids, this has moved to the top of my list.

I wonder if Demons's's Souls will get a remaster, it completely kicked my ass and I wouldn't mind giving it another go all this time.

Advertisement