Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Seamus O Leprosy

kravmaga wrote: »
    I just rang Publicjobs , Chapter House, Starts 12th July to 18th July inclusive, morning and afternoon sessions. Morning session starts at 08:45am.

3 Assessment Tests- All tests are timed.

Verbal Interpretation test 18 mins to complete 26 Questions
    Numerical Interpretation test 20 mins to complete 21 Questions
    Checking information test 8 mins to complete 46 Questions

Best to Print and Download the PDF Familiarization Material Booklet as there are sample test Questions inside it.

Best of luck, I'm down for the 14th July 2016

Cheers I'm next up for a TCO and was expecting a call soon, I was really hoping for no clash :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Correct, this is just an exercise to weed down on the volume of applicants they have.

Thats a relief. I guess get as much done correctly as possible as opposed to trying to complete all in a rush.

Do we know how soon after these tests they will start interviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭kravmaga

py2006 wrote: »
    Thats a relief. I guess get as much done correctly as possible as opposed to trying to complete all in a rush.

Do we know how soon after these tests they will start interviewing.

Yes I have done a lot of these type of tests before with Kogan Page.

I don't know if these tests are of the negative marking type, so your right get as much done correctly as possible.

I would imagine interviewing will start very soon as they are currently short staffed in Dublin Airport as it is, a lot of Dept. of Justice staff transferred back to their original positions, maybe they did not like the hours or dealing with large volume of passengers. D.A.A. staff currently monitor the Q's in each terminal.

The current staff are getting O/T to cover core shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

Thanks for all the information - great to get a bit of a heads up before going in..

Is the employer the department of Justice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Is the employer the department of Justice?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Wtf???? My email from public jobs has me in in the 20th July???? For testing to cover the prison services and immigration jobs. Hope the dates aren't wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

italodisco wrote: »
    Wtf???? My email from public jobs has me in in the 20th July???? For testing to cover the prison services and immigration jobs. Hope the dates aren't wrong

As it's the same test, if you applied for both posts you sit the test for both at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

have you a source/link to confirm this?

Both from a reliable source, can't share unfortunately. But you can take it as you like.

Both from a reliable source, can't share unfortunately. But you can take it as you like.

Unless things have changed since last year were they took on 40 with the intention of 80 overall?

EDIT: Actually, I read a more updated article. There was 80 in place by the end of last year.

• Advertisement

I've searched for a bit but can't find anywhere stating how many positions there are. Seems strange, the public should be entitled to know.

I've searched for a bit but can't find anywhere stating how many positions there are. Seems strange, the public should be entitled to know.

Why do you think the public are entitled to know?

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Why do you think the public are entitled to know?

Well usually when a job is advertised they specify the number of positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Well usually when a job is advertised they specify the number of positions.

I'd imagine it will be a panel job say 100-150, FYI folks the calculators you get for the tests are diabolical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 markmonks

Hi, i have my tests on the 14th. I was just wondering if anyone knows what happens after this round of tests. Is there a 2nd round or would you just move forward to interview stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

TallGlass wrote: »
    FYI folks the calculators you get for the tests are diabolical.

That's just subliminal encouragement to get people to use their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Zsani

The pay is over €28,000 in the first year. €419 x 52.18 weeks x 1.25 (to reflect shift allowance) plus additional days pay for the public holidays. €27,329 plus the public holidays - 9 or 10 when you count Good Friday (which is a paid day off in the civil service) do approaching €28,500 in the first year "basic". I also know there has been significant overtime opportunities for the staff there - its voluntary but its available.

Would be be able to give more info about the starting and finishing time of the shifts too by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Zsani

The pay is over €28,000 in the first year. €419 x 52.18 weeks x 1.25 (to reflect shift allowance) plus additional days pay for the public holidays. €27,329 plus the public holidays - 9 or 10 when you count Good Friday (which is a paid day off in the civil service) do approaching €28,500 in the first year "basic". I also know there has been significant overtime opportunities for the staff there - its voluntary but its available.

Would you be able to give more info about the starting and finishing time of the shifts too by any chance?

Zsani wrote: »
    The pay is over 28,000 in the first year. 419 x 52.18 weeks x 1.25 (to reflect shift allowance) plus additional days pay for the public holidays. 27,329 plus the public holidays - 9 or 10 when you count Good Friday (which is a paid day off in the civil service) do approaching 28,500 in the first year "basic". I also know there has been significant overtime opportunities for the staff there - its voluntary but its available.

Would you be able to give more info about the starting and finishing time of the shifts too by any chance?
    Read back on the thread. Or maybe read the information you'd have downloaded with the application!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Zsani wrote: »

The shifts start at 06:00; 14:00 and 18:00.

People really need to read the Info Booklet.

Permanent civil service jobs doing a serious job - people applying need to understand they are in a serious game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Some seriously lazy people applying for this. Read the feckin information booklet.

Does anybody know why those that applied for the temp clerical officers positions are doing online tests and we are going into town for it?

Or will we receive a link to an online test as well afterwards?

Does anybody know why those that applied for the temp clerical officers positions are doing online tests and we are going into town for it?

These test are on line, but under supervised conditions. Different jobs, different processes.

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    These test are on line, but under supervised conditions. Different jobs, different processes.

Sorry yes, they are both online. :o

I assume they are the same/similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kazmcdonald

I wonder are these going to be similar to the clerical officer tests that opened Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's most likely that a lot more people applied for the general TCO competition than this so online tests wouldn't be needed to whittle down the numbers. I haven't applied for this but know someone who has so have been following this thread, I haven't heard of anyone not passing the application form stage either so that would suggest that numbers weren't very high either.

Would also agree with some of the earlier posts in the thread too, there seems to be a lot of people who applied for the posts without knowing the basics of the position and just as many who seem incapable of sourcing information that was clearly provided to them. If I was one of those taking the application seriously I'd ignore the requests for information on things candidates should know, it'll reduce your chances of getting stuck working with incompetent teammates.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Would also agree with some of the earlier posts in the thread too, there seems to be a lot of people who applied for the posts without knowing the basics of the position and just as many who seem incapable of sourcing information that was clearly provided to them. If I was one of those taking the application seriously I'd ignore the requests for information on things candidates should know, it'll reduce your chances of getting stuck working with incompetent teammates.

I hope you are not referring to me here?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I hope you are not referring to me here?

No, that was a genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I wonder did many apply for the prison services clerical?

In my office alot of staff applied for the immigration role but none applied for the prison clerical as it involved a few weeks training down in portlaoise.

I'd prefer the prison role myself so can only hope that fewer applied AND that I pass the test as my maths is not good.

How worried should I be about the maths? I have not done one of these tests before, anyone have experience in them and want to give me advice on what math will be prevelent?

• Advertisement

Phew, just remembered about the whole passport photo thing! I'm doing the tests tomorrow! :confused::(

Anybody know if there passport photo machine in the building or nearby. In Jervis shopping centre perhaps?

Advertisement