Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Without sounding like one of the people I was complaining about yesterday (:pac:), are the 'Checking Information' tests scored the same as the Numerical Reasoning or Verbal Reasoning, ie, do you only have to reach a cut off or do you have to score as high as you can?

I've never seen them used in Civil Service exams before and they look pretty tight for time.

@py2006 Jervis definitely used to do them up beside where the toilets are located.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

py2006 wrote: »
    Phew, just remembered about the whole passport photo thing! I'm doing the tests tomorrow! :confused::(

Anybody know if there passport photo machine in the building or nearby. In Jervis shopping centre perhaps?

The entrance to Jervis Shopping Centre on Abbey Street (just across from PAS and down a bit) has a photo machine at the top of the escalators.

If that's not working, there's one downstairs in Tesco.

Not sure if there's still one beside the toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

For those (like me) that leave photo to last min. The photo machine at top of escalator of the Jervis centre entrance opposite is out of order.

There are two downstairs in tesco, one is coin only, the other accepts fivers. Both €6.

EDIT: they also have a scissors at registration for idiots (like me) who arrive with all 4 together...

Results issued to your inbox in August. Assume interviews will follow soon after for those of you brainy enough to have done well in the tests

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If I was one of those taking the application seriously I'd ignore the requests for information on things candidates should know, it'll reduce your chances of getting stuck working with incompetent teammates.

Yes the info is available but for crying out loud, lighten up. People are already on Boards if they're reading these requests. How much hassle it is really to answer them? Zero. Would you also blow off your co-workers if they asked you for assistance if you think they should know what to do? If you get stuck working with incompetent people it's a failure of the recruitment team not because you helped someone out along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sumpector

Results issued to your inbox in August. Assume interviews will follow soon after for those of you brainy enough to have done well in the tests

How did you find the test in the end? Completely understand if you don't want to answer.

sumpector wrote: »
    How did you find the test in the end? Completely understand if you don't want to answer.

I was happy enough with the Verbal Interpretation and Checking Information but I found Numerical Interpretation a bit tricky and wasn't close to completing all questions. A quick glance around suggests I wasn't on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭applejunkie

I was happy enough with the Verbal Interpretation and Checking Information but I found Numerical Interpretation a bit tricky and wasn't close to completing all questions. A quick glance around suggests I wasn't on my own.

How long did it take in total ? Says to allow 2 hours in the mail Is that accurate ?

How long did it take in total ? Says to allow 2 hours in the mail Is that accurate ?

Yea, I think it was about an 1HR and a half. But allow at least 2 hours in case of hiccups or people asking questions etc.

Hope it went well for you anyway. Were the tests of a similar level to the practice tests linked in the booklet?

• Advertisement

Hope it went well for you anyway. Were the tests of a similar level to the practice tests linked in the booklet?

Thanks. I found the Verbal one slightly easier, Checking one on a par but the numerical slightly trickier. prob more to do with the time than anything else.

You get to do a practice question before each one but they are the same as ones they sent us.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chopper12

I found the numerical test pretty tough to, the other two were ok. I will be lucky to pass that one.

I thought I had downloaded the information booklet but cannot find it now. I don't suppose any competent colleagues have saved it and could send it on? :)

I have looked everywhere I cannot find it online.

Chopper12 wrote: »
    I found the numerical test pretty tough to, the other two were ok. I will be lucky to pass that one.

I thought I had downloaded the information booklet but cannot find it now. I don't suppose any competent colleagues have saved it and could send it on? :)

I have looked everywhere I cannot find it online.

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/advice/test/prepare.htm

Scroll down to find it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I'm in tomorrow morning for the 3 tests.

So the Numerical/maths is the most tricky from what people are saying here.

I don't expect to finish all the questions as the timeline is very tight.

Anybody know what the overall pass rate is/ cut off

Had the test earlier today and I thought the numerical could have went smoother, that time limit really caught up with me. Hopefully we just have to pass the numerical and the other two tests decide the order of merit.

Was also in today. Found the numerical tricky enough . The other two were fine . Fingers crossed

Had the test earlier today and I thought the numerical could have went smoother, that time limit really caught up with me. Hopefully we just have to pass the numerical and the other two tests decide the order of merit.

I was told by a friend in the civil service that you would deffo have to pass the numerical test, as you said its order of merit on the other two tests

Was also in today. Found the numerical tricky enough . The other two were fine . Fingers crossed

Do they supply calculators or can you bring your own in with you

• Registered Users Posts: 18 RozDoyle

They supply pretty basic, solar power typed calculators.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭electronic

Does anyone have any details on a typical working day in the position ? Is your whole day spent in the passport control box checking passports or are there other duties that you due aswell?

• Advertisement

Starting to get worried now about the numerical :-(

Shame as I feel I did quite well in the other two

kravmaga wrote: »
    I was told by a friend in the civil service that you would deffo have to pass the numerical test, as you said its order of merit on the other two tests

You definitely have to pass all 3 , the person that was supervising the tests today said it , they said if you dont pass all 3 you will not be called to interview

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

electronic wrote: »
    Does anyone have any details on a typical working day in the position ? Is your whole day spent in the passport control box checking passports or are there other duties that you due aswell?

Flights stop for certain hours during the night (I think) and this has night shifts so I reckon your time would be split between frontline duties and admin work associated with the position. Think there was also a mention of interviewing passengers as one of the duties.

To anyone who did the tests already, were there many people in the session?

You definitely have to pass all 3 , the person that was supervising the tests today said it , they said if you dont pass all 3 you will not be called to interview

Where does the numerical side of things come into the position? I can understand the other two.

I guess it displays a reasonable amount of intelligence. Which I think I kinda have. But I do fear I may have fecked it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I have the test on Friday but now I am wondering if it is even worth it as I have to travel a great distance and I know the maths will be a struggle.

I applied for it mainly because I want to get into the area of human rights and I thought this would give me a good grasp of immigration law. However my family were saying that most likely I would just be checking documents and any cases would be referred to someone higher up so that I wouldn't get a whole lot of useful experience and that does mainly seem to be the duties in the advertisement.

Not to mention having to factor in working in Dublin and the costs of that alone.

Not really sure I should go for it now....:/

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

electronic wrote: »

The job is varied. Don't be fooled by the "sitting in a box checking passports" image. You will deal with all walks of life and every type of human being. You will learn how to investigate; how to make legally robust decisions; be an ambassador for Ireland; engage with similar services in Ireland and abroad; conduct investigative interviews; carry out searches of luggage and people and engage in various "projects". The "checking passports" but is the most visible part of the job but that of itself is complex and requires very focused concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

I thought this would give me a good grasp of immigration law. However my family were saying that most likely I would just be checking documents and any cases would be referred to someone higher up so that I wouldn't get a whole lot of useful experience and that does mainly seem to be the duties in the advertisement.
    :/

Well you can just study immigration law if you want and then volunteer somewhere, most civil service jobs at entry level are fairly routine, repetitive and boring. It would be document checking, visa checking, interviews to ensure people are legally allowed to enter. theres also handing people refusal notices and sending them back. I know people say its never like tv but from my sources it is very similar to "Border Security: Australia's" type of thing.

In fairness, if your not doing anything on the day, you might as well, see how far you get, try to get to the interview stage and then ask some questions.

You should also easily find accommodation around swords that isnt too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

How many of you guys doing this are coming from other parts of the public/civil service?
    How do the tests compare to what you do in your current job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

AFAIK they are only interested in new recruits, they wont take serving public/civil servants as its cheaper to hire new people. I see you have to stay four years before you can transfer, it was two years last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Amanda.ie wrote: »
    AFAIK they are only interested in new recruits, they wont take serving public/civil servants as its cheaper to hire new people. I see you have to stay four years before you can transfer, it was two years last time.
    Not that I disbelieve you but in the literature it say a different payback MAY be applicable if you've existing service. Why say that but then actively exclude

Advertisement