Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Amanda.ie wrote: »
    AFAIK they are only interested in new recruits, they wont take serving public/civil servants as its cheaper to hire new people. I see you have to stay four years before you can transfer, it was two years last time.

Em I know a few serving civil service members that are applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

Em I know a few serving civil service members that are applying.

I know a few who applied last time and got nowhere, they wont take people on high grades when they can recruit for half the pay.

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Not that I disbelieve you but in the literature it say a different payback MAY be applicable if you've existing service. Why say that but then actively exclude

Last time it was a separate one for garda civilians so it would be a promotion and everyone in that area would be at the top of the scale. You would be surprised to know not many garda civilians got offered the job. They took on new recruits instead. The current role or experience did not come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Garda civilians?

I know a few who applied last time and got nowhere, they wont take people on high grades when they can recruit for half the pay.

Well I know serving CO's that applied last time and got it, and I know others that also applied. The likes of HEOs, EOs/AOs probably won't apply, seems more of a Co role at best.

• Advertisement

Well I know serving CO's that applied last time and got it, and I know others that also applied. The likes of HEOs, EOs/AOs probably won't apply, seems more of a Co role at best.

Yes with the option of returning to your original position after six months if they didnt like it which a good few have done I think.
    Serving CO's on low grades ? It is a CO role is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Guys, what time is the first test in the morning at? The reason is I plan on going in tomorrow as I can't make the afternoon slot. Is it 8:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HK2016

Can you use your own calculator or do you have to use the one they give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

HK2016 wrote: »
    Can you use your own calculator or do you have to use the one they give you?

I don't think so. They specifically say to only bring into the test room your photo and the slip of paper they hand you on registration. Your belongings are left in a locked room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Anyone interested first test is 8:45. Numerical side of thing where very tuff. Calculator is supplied to you, your not allowed your own.

All in all not too confident I got into the next stage to be honest.

Adds to the experience for next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

With 21 questions you are probably looking at getting 8 right to reach the cut off, so I think people are being very pessimistic about their chances. Surely the questions couldn't have been that much more difficult than the sample tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

I found it quite difficult to be honest. August by email before you hear anything. Best of luck to all

Turtyturd wrote: »
    With 21 questions you are probably looking at getting 8 right to reach the cut off, so I think people are being very pessimistic about their chances. Surely the questions couldn't have been that much more difficult than the sample tests?

I found some of the numeric slightly more tricky and others not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Just completed the tests this morning at 08:45am.

I found the Numerical/Maths test more difficult than the sample online tests, a lot of information to process so you really need to focus, clock ticking away puts the pressure on.

I felt I did okay on the Verbal Interpretation test and the Checking information checklist test.

They supply the calculator and your personal effects locked in a room , results in your inbox in August.

I reckon 50 in the room this morning, 2 x times a day over 5 days= 500 candidates tested this week

Only 80 positions available , so work out how many get called for interview.

Answer

A- Strongly Agree
    B- Disagree
    C- Cannot say

Hehe:D

kravmaga wrote: »
    I reckon 50 in the room this morning, 2 x times a day over 5 days= 500 candidates tested this week

Best of Luck!

I think there was only about 30 at my session. Mine was at 12:15 and when we came out there was another group waiting. So it looks like it may be 3 sessions a day?

Is that defo about the number of positions available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Are these sessions not covering the prison clerical positions aswell?

In that case the odds for each job are better :)

I noticed that the positions were taken up in mid Sept last year so perhaps it will be something similar this year aswell. Results out in August then may be a week or two of interviews then places offered early Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

AFAIK they are only interested in new recruits, they wont take serving public/civil servants as its cheaper to hire new people. I see you have to stay four years before you can transfer, it was two years last time.
    A moronic comment, don't post such nonsense and ruin people's hopes when you have absolutely NO idea what you are on about.

I am a public servant and I can guarantee the rest of the posters here that this guys comment is tripe.

A large portion of my colleagues have transfered or jumped ship over the last two years and have been paid up to their current point on scale.

Folks there will always be doom merchants trying to ruin things for others.

Take it from me, it's based on how well you do in testing and interviews.

You definitely have to pass all 3 , the person that was supervising the tests today said it , they said if you dont pass all 3 you will not be called to interview

Thanks, I think that probably rules me out so...i felt good about 2/3 not 3/3.

Sure just have to wait for the results in August.

Best of luck to everybody..

py2006 wrote: »
    Best of Luck!

I think there was only about 30 at my session. Mine was at 12:15 and when we came out there was another group waiting. So it looks like it may be 3 sessions a day?

Is that defo about the number of positions available?

Just 2 sessions a day, Morning and Afternoon.

If you scroll back on this thread Heart Break Kid mentions 70/80 positions, panel of 100/150 and they will draw from that as they need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭applejunkie

Thanks, I think that probably rules me out so...i felt good about 2/3 not 3/3.

Sure just have to wait for the results in August.

Best of luck to everybody..

Im in the same boat as you , not feeling anyway confident about the numerical but was happy with the other two . Only time will tell...........

Just 2 sessions a day, Morning and Afternoon.

Well there was a group before and after me but maybe they were for the prison officer one?

Answer

Rumours from source that only 1500 people internal and external people applied which going by sources of roughly hiring 75 people would mean theres a 5.3% shot for any individual to land a spot.

This shots obviously improves by cutting people that just gave up before doing the test or changed their mind about shift work and unsocialable hours.

Id say around 300 interviews or less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

And folks just to give you some hope, a guy I work with just told me about how the test went for him, he did it two days ago.
    He said that it wasn't too bad, he did foundation math in his leaving cert and got a C in it but said he managed to get roughly 80% of the numerical done AND is confident that he did well.

So don't give up hope yet, I am also a maths disaster but he has sure boosted my lacking confidence!!

Good luck folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Immigration Officer is a CO grade, of course they're not going to take an AP or the likes to do it!

They're recruiting externally as they didn't get the uptake internally last time they recruited. The majority of the current staff out there were recruited externally (last CO competition).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭cw67irl

31 in yesterdays 3.30 session. Session just before that was pretty full aswell. Are these tests for immigration and prison service or just immigration? The prison service was mentioned in the intro.

Tests went ok, I took too much time on some of the maths didnt get the last 2 questions answered. Verbal was grand loads of time. Error Checking was good got to the second last page of questions.

How did everyone else get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OJ Simple

Sincere thanks to everybody who posted feedback on this topic .I have my slot on Monday ...Kind of nervous about it as I would love to be one of the lucky ones and go on to the next stage .Only one thing standing in the way ,these bloody tests.
    I can see why they use this method when dealing with large numbers of applicants,but I would love the chance of an interview as I feel I would be a good fit for the Job .But Hey I guess everybody that has applied feels the same .
    I did ok on the sample tests so that should give me some hope
    But thanks again to all who posted ,the feedback is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OJ Simple

Can Anybody who has been through these tests recommend any websites that might have more Similar sample questions to use as preparation.

Thanks in advance ............

• Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just completed the tests this morning at 08:45am.

I found the Numerical/Maths test more difficult than the sample online tests, a lot of information to process so you really need to focus, clock ticking away puts the pressure on.

I felt I did okay on the Verbal Interpretation test and the Checking information checklist test.

They supply the calculator...

Just on this, did they supply you with pen and paper for calculations or is everything online?

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Just on this, did they supply you with pen and paper for calculations or is everything online?

Yes they provide you with a pen and paper for the rough work calculations you may wish to do for the numerical. But it is handed up afterwards.

Advertisement