Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Executive Officer Campaign 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭monday monday

I'm not 100% sure if it is the same coming from the Public Sector, but for existing Civil Servants, you don't take a pay cut but you "mark time". That is, you wouldn't get an increment until the scale catches up with what you are currently paid.

You have to weigh up whether you'd be happy to stay on the same money for the next few years with no increments.

It all depends on your current pay, how long until you reach the top, how long from retirement, etc., etc.[

thanks for that. id have to wait 12 years so for an increment. but im nearly at the top of my own pay scale and its very difficult to get promoted where I currently am so might be on that pay for 12 years anyway.
    thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

It says "or leaving cert" in the criteria.

Is there any point without a degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

gufc21 wrote: »
    It says "or leaving cert" in the criteria.

Is there any point without a degree?

Absolutely. It may be you have to do an aptitude test before anyone even looks at your CV. Apply, there's nothing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have a masters degree in management. Would I be seen as too qualified

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Gael23 wrote: »
    I have a masters degree in management. Would I be seen as too qualified

They wont care .

One question though,why would you go for this position if you have a masters ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

I only have a LC and have applied. I cont see why it would suffice. If we are good enough to get through aptitude tests, etray and interview then what difference does it make whether you have a degree or not

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Does anyone know anything about the aptitude tests - particularly who the provider is? The HEO one recently was Cut-e whereas the AP one seems to be SHL. I'm much better at the Cut-e one so here's hoping!

Are they similar to the CO ones? The maths and language ones were simple but i trip myself up in the situation one. I keep trying to think of what they would look for rather than what i would do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Are they similar to the CO ones? The maths and language ones were simple but i trip myself up in the situation one. I keep trying to think of what they would look for rather than what i would do

Yeah I'd imagine so. The AO one was anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

From the current EO application form:
    Eligible candidates NOT currently working in the Civil Service may apply for the Open position.
    Eligible candidates working in the Civil Service may apply for the Open and Interdepartmental positions.

So going by this I'm thinking even TCO working in the CS can apply for the Interdepartmental positions??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Halpenny wrote: »
    From the current EO application form:

So going by this I'm thinking even TCO working in the CS can apply for the Interdepartmental positions??

I think so. Just check for other requirements like 2 years service etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

What's the cash like?

Approximately €27,700.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

Slydice wrote: »
    I think so. Just check for other requirements like 2 years service etc..

Thank for reply.
    Just reading over the booklet again. Could be wrong but isn't the 2 years service needed if you don't fulfill (i) / (ii) / (iii) / (iv) requirements eg don't have a degree/qualification etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

well, I can't find this years advertisement, see if you can attach it to a reply here

anyway, here's the one from 2014:
    http://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/per/2014/04.pdf

The bit about promotions is on page 2:
    Candidates for
    promotion to Executive Officer must:
    a) be serving in an established, unestablished or acting (see para 5.b) below) capacity in the Civil Service in a grade below that of Executive Officer,
    and
    b) on or before the closing date of 8th January, 2015, and have not less than two years service in the Civil Service. Unestablished officers and officers serving in an acting capacity in the eligible grades may compete in the competition provided they fulfil the eligibility requirements set out above.

It's where they use the word "and" to mean both a and b above. b says "not less than two years service"

Maybe it changed in this years competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sister bliss

I'm currently a CO. As I only have 6 months done in civil service, i'm not eligible for the internal competition but can I still apply through the open competition??

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Yeah you can still apply for the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm currently a CO. As I only have 6 months done in civil service, i'm not eligible for the internal competition but can I still apply through the open competition??

If you meet the qualification requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

Whats the difference during the application between the Irish stream and the regular one. I have good irish but wouldn't dream of sitting an interview in one. I've been told by an existing civil servant that you only have to hold a quick conversation but I'm sceptical tbh

ó Fíach wrote: »
    Im a CO have about 15 months now and established now, it's 1 year for internal competitions is it?

2 years as far as I know but you can apply for the open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ilovethistles

Whats the difference during the application between the Irish stream and the regular one. I have good irish but wouldn't dream of sitting an interview in one. I've been told by an existing civil servant that you only have to hold a quick conversation but I'm sceptical tbh

Hi, I have very good Irish & was successful in the Irish stream years ago, however I feel this is quite different, in fact it does mention fluency somewhere so I didn't chance it because I am certainly not fluent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ellen90

I have submitted my application but when I go back in to view it the section 'experience and qualifications' hasn't saved. I've tried to re-save a few times but no joy. Has anyone else had this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭80sbaby

is there anywhere that you can get practice tests online? Anyone know if there is much of a step up from the CO tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭monday monday

ellen90 wrote: »
    I have submitted my application but when I go back in to view it the section 'experience and qualifications' hasn't saved. I've tried to re-save a few times but no joy. Has anyone else had this problem?

had a look at my application there and it looks ok. contact them id say before deadline date.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sineadoc

I have recently applied for the AO Competition but haven't got a good enough ranking to go to stage 2. Have now apllied for EO, will I repeat yhe online assessment or does the previous assessment count for this competition too? (I know they say u carry your score forward for 12:months but does that apply to all competitions? Id rather repeat the assessment)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

sineadoc wrote: »
    I have recently applied for the AO Competition but haven't got a good enough ranking to go to stage 2. Have now apllied for EO, will I repeat yhe online assessment or does the previous assessment count for this competition too? (I know they say u carry your score forward for 12:months but does that apply to all competitions? Id rather repeat the assessment)

New competition, new assessment I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭caarp

Hi all.  I didn't get past the work place situational test last time.  Unlike previous years, in each scenario, you were asked to rate the answers from most likely, something likely and then least likely (or something like that) so each question had 4 responses.  It completely flummoxed me.  Does anyone know what it is that they are looking for?  Do they want you to answer that 'you' are now the management and that you will take on all responsibilities and act as the boss?  Just not sure what they want here?  MTIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 OneQ

Hi - does anyone know what pension contribution we would need to pay if successful for Executive Officer role ? can you share a link please

• Advertisement

OneQ wrote: »
    Hi - does anyone know what pension contribution we would need to pay if successful for Executive Officer role ? can you share a link please

3.5% of pay plus 3% of pensionable pay (which is your pay minus twice the current state pension). I'm on the 2nd point of the EO scale and pay approx. €90 in pension contributions monthly. But I also pay over €30 in PRD which does not go towards your pension, it's just a levy.

Advertisement