Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part IV - Just Another Manic Bundee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Lads, this has possibly been answered earlier, but why are Toulouse ahead of us in the table?

In the head to head we have 4 match points and they have 1.
    Points difference
    I would guess head-to-head doesn't come into it until you've played both games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Is that all away Sunday games in Europe?

Yup it will be. That's ridiculous really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Yup it will be. That's ridiculous really

Playing round six on the Sunday gives you an eight day break after round 5. Given the injury profile of the squad, that is manna from heaven.

Playing last also means Connacht will know EXACTLY what they need to qualify.

You could not ask for better scheduling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Playing round six on the Sunday gives you an eight day break after round 5. Given the injury profile of the squad, that is manna from heaven.

It's great in that sense

But it's been a pain for traveling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Yes he would be.... But Saili wouldn't be...

the_plot_thickens-83818.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 TomYeats1

What exactly will that be? Assuming they take the bonus point against Zebre! 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

TomYeats1 wrote: »
    What exactly will that be? Assuming they take the bonus point against Zebre! 🙈
    Your guess is as good as ours. It all depends on results of other games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Lads, this has possibly been answered earlier, but why are Toulouse ahead of us in the table?

In the head to head we have 4 match points and they have 1.

Head to head doesn't apply in a three way tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Ulster fans on their forum "Buckley is a serious operator, not far behind McGrath imo, and better technically than Healy."
    Denis for RWC 2019!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

sure haven't we all been saying that since he's been on the scene. Amazong what more coverage gets you

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TomYeats1

evil_seed wrote: »
    sure haven't we all been saying that since he's been on the scene. Amazong what more coverage gets you

Mod: Post edited to remove unfounded libellous allegations. No more of that rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

TomYeats1 wrote: »
    Mod: Post edited to remove unfounded libellous allegations. No more of that rubbish

Respectfully, your mates are full of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I enjoy laughing at Roscommon's championship exploits as much as the next person but just because Buckley's from Roscommon doesn't mean he's a pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I enjoy laughing at Roscommon's championship exploits as much as the next person but just because Buckley's from Roscommon doesn't mean he's a pig.

Championship? Everyone knows it all about the league :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Jaysus, we're even getting slagged off on a Rugby forum :D

I'd offer to see you in the car park but with the day that's in it, we'd both be run over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Posts deleted. No more slanderous allegations or speculation into player's private lives please.

Seriously though.
    The injury issues we have had last year and this cannot just be coincidence.
    Is it down to small squad numbers, style of play, poor technique?
    Are the training facilities, particularly the pitch, up to scratch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Seriously though.

I have been thinking the same. Then again Boshoff was out for three months just after stepping off the plane...

Would think IRFU ensure facilities, S&C team, etc are up to scratch

It's a f**kin killer either way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Are we even going to have a team to field against Munster.

• Advertisement

• BrokenMan wrote: »
    Are we even going to have a team to field against Munster.

If everyone that went off tonight is unavailable ye will actually be in trouble next week.

I doubt there is an issue with strength and conditioning, but ye need to drop the heroics and kick to relieve pressure. Lam has Connacht clearly well conditioned and drilled but when there isn't any go forward you are getting smashed repeatedly behind the gainline.

The way Connacht played tonight was attritional but only on themselves. The pack never got a break.

Seriously though.
    Bit of all of them. The squad train mainly in SG so do you think pitches there are not up to scratch???
    ClanofLams wrote: »
    I have been thinking the same. Then again Boshoff was out for three months just after stepping off the plane...

Would think IRFU ensure facilities, S&C team, etc are up to scratch

It's a f**kin killer either way
    What then does need to be changed in terms of facilities or S&C team?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Bealham, Poolman, Dillane and Roux looked in discomfort

Muldoon and Niyi are other people we should be worried about

Gaffney had an underwhelming debut, but then so did Kelleher against Glasgow and he kicked on

Bit of all of them. The squad train mainly in SG so do you think pitches there are not up to scratch???

Sure how would I have a clue about the S&C team?

But I wasn't actually suggesting anything needed to be changed, I was saying I'm sure the IRFU ensures they're up to standard so you wouldn't think it's related.

At the same stage Connacht do seem to have had significantly more injuries over the years than other teams, even preceding Lams arrival.

If I had to throw a wild uneducated guess out there I would say it was lower playing numbers years ago and maybe the high intensity playing style under Lam.

What do you think? It's surely hard to put it down to misfortune?

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Bealham, Poolman, Dillane and Roux looked in discomfort

Muldoon and Niyi are other people we should be worried about

Gaffney had an underwhelming debut, but then so did Kelleher against Glasgow and he kicked on

Tough night to debut in. Think he may be better suited to back three

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Sure how would I have a clue about the S&C team?

But I wasn't actually suggesting anything needed to be changed, I was saying I'm sure the IRFU ensures they're up to standard so you wouldn't think it's related.

At the same stage Connacht do seem to have had significantly more injuries over the years than other teams, even preceding Lams arrival.

If I had to throw a wild uneducated guess out there I would say it was lower playing numbers years ago and maybe the high intensity playing style under Lam.

What do you think? It's surely hard to put it down to misfortune?
    Of course IRFU have been ensuring theyre up to standard and I don't think we can say theyre not because of the injuries suffered this and last season. Connacht do get a lot of injuries but they've a small squad and cant change things up like others and how they play will have an affect. I think it is a lot of misfortune though.

I don't have any strong opinion except that it is unlikley to be coincidence.
    The fact that both crises hit their peak during in Winter is what lead me to ask about the training pitches. I also posed other possible causes but mostly I was just asking if anyone else had an hypotheses.
    I don't claim to have an inside track into the inner workings of the S&C so I wouldn't have any ideas on what needs changing. Someone else might have an insight into the types of injuries that are most prevelant or the time that they are incurred.

We do seem to have a lot of HIAs maybe the tackling technique could be looked at.
    I would accept that the squad size seems to be a mitigating factor.

Of course IRFU have been ensuring theyre up to standard and I don't think we can say theyre not because of the injuries suffered this and last season. Connacht do get a lot of injuries but they've a small squad and cant change things up like others and how they play will have an affect. I think it is a lot of misfortune though.

Yeah just to clarify I didn't mean to suggest the S&C team weren't. I tied them in with facilities and was saying that I doubt it's related to either so it's hard to point to any obvious issue. Maybe I didn't make that very clear.

I don't have any strong opinion except that it is unlikley to be coincidence.
    The fact that both crises hit their peak during in Winter is what lead me to ask about the training pitches. I also posed other possible causes but mostly I was just asking if anyone else had an hypotheses.

I don't claim to have an inside track into the inner workings of the S&C so I wouldn't have any ideas on what needs changing. Someone else might have an insight into the types of injuries that are most prevelant or the time that they are incurred.
    We do seem to have a lot of HIAs maybe the tackling technique could be looked at.
    I would accept that the squad size seems to be a mitigating factor.
    They train in the SG mainly but do plenty of work in Kingfisher gym in Renmore as well. Having a lot of HIAs can be seen as excellent work by medics as much as anything that players are taken off and managed in this area very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Just in from xmas shopping. Saw the score and done comments on twitter. Looks like thr result could have been worse. What's happening with the injuries? Who's down now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement