Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part IV - Just Another Manic Bundee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

They train in the SG mainly but do plenty of work in Kingfisher gym in Renmore as well. Having a lot of HIAs can be seen as excellent work by medics as much as anything that players are taken off and managed in this area very well.

Yep - HIAs are important, getting an appropriate diagnosis after any suspected injury is.

What about the original question.
    Do you think there may be any underlying cause to the exceptional injury levels we have had over the last year and a bit? Or do you think it is just misfortunate coincidence.
    I am not looking for a witch hunt, just people's thoughts on what is a very relevant topic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yep - HIAs are important, getting an appropriate diagnosis after any suspected injury is.

Do you think there may be any underlying cause to the exceptional injury levels we have had over the last year and a bit? Or do you think it is just misfortunate coincidence.
    I am not looking for a witch hunt, just people's thoughts on what is a very relevant topic.

It's a right mix of HIAs, joint injuries and a few muscle/soft tissue injuries. Muscle injuries could be down to S&C alright, imbalance or tightness, but can't do much about the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I don't think there is any underlying cause. There is a big mix of HIAs, muscle and tissue injuries which are quite normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

evil_seed wrote: »
    Just in from xmas shopping. Saw the score and done comments on twitter. Looks like thr result could have been worse. What's happening with the injuries? Who's down now?

Poolman looked like concussion
    Bealham seemed head injury too so almost certainly out for Munster
    Roux seemed collarbone injury
    Dillane and Muldoon went off limping
    Niyi kept getting attention throughout the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Poolman looked like concussion
    Bealham seemed head injury too so almost certainly out for Munster
    Roux seemed collarbone injury
    Dillane and Muldoon went off limping
    Niyi kept getting attention throughout the game

I think Bealham was the left shoulder after making a strong tackle. Looked low to medium severity. Got attention at least 3 times.
    Roux didn't look too serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Former Coach

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Tough night to debut in. Think he may be better suited to back three

Gaffney played left wing tonight. Matt moved to 15 & TOH to 12/13. Wouldn't judge him on tonight at all given the extremely disjointed nature of our back-line at that stage. Dawai looks a real find👍

Just got to see it there.

Pretty grim viewing.

With the number of injuries and in play issues I can't see us picking up many points for the next while.

We already had a mountain to climb to get into the top 6 and that's looking insurmountable now.

Being honest I wouldn't consider it a certainty we'd even take the 5 points of Zebre in the ECC which is probably all we've to look forward to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The number of injured is just incredible. Are many due back in the short term?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

A Christmas break to Lourdes might be an idea at this stage.

Merry Christmas Westies. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Many happy returns folks. Been a great year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I have to say that given Connacht's injury list there has to be a case for looking at a postponement if they would be in a position wherein they had to field a very weakened team which could be unsafe for junior players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

jacothelad wrote: »
    I have to say that given Connacht's injury list there has to be a case for looking at a postponement if they would be in a position wherein they had to field a very weakened team which could be unsafe for junior players.

Surely its not that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Nigel Carolan better have received his head coach contract from Connacht today.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nigel Carolan better have received his head coach contract from Connacht today.

I might break even on Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Best christmas gift for every Connancht fan:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

jacothelad wrote: »

That option is always open to them but it would be a forfeit, not a postponement.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That option is always open to them but it would be a forfeit, not a postponement.

Not if the oppostion agree to postpone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I realise that but injuries on such a massive scale caused during Pro 12 games etc should be a genuine reason to consider player welfare and common sense sometimes goes out the window in the business of rugby. It would be a departure from the norm. Ospreys were fined £100,000 a few years ago for sending their players on holiday instead of playing at Ravenspan. That was correct. If a team is simply unable safely to field a team through injury - or illness - simple humanity should dictate events - not hide bound rules.

Connacht injury list is still uncertain
    Not only we don't know how are Bealham, Dillane, Niyi after Ulster
    But we haven't had any news about the precise return date of O'Leary, Robb, Cooney  Loughney, McCoy and Masterson. They could all be available now and change everything

If some are fit, it would mean the end of McCartney on the bench to cover LH, the end of the disaster of Poolman as centre, a bit of rest for Muldoon and Marmion, a covering kicker. Big differences!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

After tonight. Not very optimistic about the #4inarow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

freyners wrote: »
    After tonight. Not very optimistic about the #4inarow

Significantly different Munster team the next night. Munster have a quick turnaround, player management protocols and the European games coming in a run after this so I wouldn't write us off for this one. However, Munster seem to have momentum and competition for places at this stage. The old chip on the shoulder that was gone for a couple of seasons looks to be back. We'll have to see what team we can cobble together first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Nothing to do with Munster but it's ridiculous that an Irish guy had to leave Connacht last season because we couldn't have him and a springbok in the one position but now Munster can have a springbok and a kiwi in the one position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Munster but it's ridiculous that an Irish guy had to leave Connacht last season because we couldn't have him and a springbok in the one position but now Munster can have a springbok and a kiwi in the one position.

You mean McGinty? He might be Irish but he's zero use to the Irish team so it doesn't matter.
    And since Saili's seasonal debut coincided with Taute's departure, I'd say it's totally consistent.

Edit: the Indo are reporting that Taute is staying. If true, you have plenty of grounds to be annoyed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well pretty much as expected, waiting for Dillane...

For Munster it has to be

1) Buckley
    2) McCartney
    3) JP
    4) Cannon
    5) Roux
    6) Nepia
    7) Heenan
    8) McKeon
    9) Marmion
    10) Catry
    12) Robb
    13) Parata
    11) Healy
    14) Niyi
    15) TOH

16) Heff
    17) Delahunt (McCartney to cover LH)
    18) Saba (or Bealham if fit only)
    19) SOB
    20) Connolly
    21) Blade
    22) Gaffney
    23) Dawai

pffffew that's a decent team but we're 1-injury-close to implosion

SOB 2.0 against Ulster
    missed tackles 0
    completed tackles 14
    Wow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

connachta wrote: »
    For Munster it has to be

1) Buckley
    2) McCartney
    3) JP
    4) Cannon
    5) Roux
    6) Nepia
    7) Heenan
    8) McKeon
    9) Marmion
    10) Catry
    12) Robb
    13) Parata
    11) Healy
    14) Niyi
    15) TOH

16) Heff
    17) Delahunt (McCartney to cover LH)
    18) Saba (or Bealham if fit only)
    19) SOB
    20) Connolly
    21) Blade
    22) Gaffney
    23) Dawai

pffffew that's a decent team but we're 1-injury-close to implosion

Robb and Heenan not out?
    I'd have Nepia 7 and SOB 6, Stevenson 19
    At 12 I've no idea, Dawai at 12 could back fire spectacularly I fear but might have to be done
    Unless TOH goes 13, Parata 12 and Gaffney 15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Robb and Heenan not out?
    I'd have Nepia 7 and SOB 6, Stevenson 19
    At 12 I've no idea, Dawai at 12 could back fire spectacularly I fear but might have to be done
    Unless TOH goes 13, Parata 12 and Gaffney 15

Squad update has them both back training his week. Not ideal to have them both starting just coming back from injury but not exactly like we've a lot of choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement