Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Farm, Leopardstown, Dublin 18

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

eternal31 wrote: »
    I'm new to this area. Is it a good, safe area? I search ballyogan and saw a few negative review. "high rate of child smoking and high rate of fighting and drug use" Is it true? There are also a few reported crimes there.

I was told Leopardstown is a good area and it's also close to Foxrock, Sandymount. I was actually surprised to see those review.
    Leopardstown is a posh area. But dont be fooled by the address, this is Ballyogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 eternal31

qrx wrote: »
    Leopardstown is a posh area. But dont be fooled by the address, this is Ballyogan.

Thanks for your reply. So this new development is part of Ballyogan area rather than Leopardstown area? The boundary between them is not clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭ionapaul

It's on the Ballyogan Road, close to some large council estates - but is a separate development. It is equally close to some very nice private estates that are somewhat posh.

When it is complete, a through-road from just outside Clay Farm is going to link the Ballyogan Road and Stepaside village, which will be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭p15574

In a similar way, Monkstown Farm is a council estate, but I don't think it affects house prices much elsewhere in Monkstown...

eternal31 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. So this new development is part of Ballyogan area rather than Leopardstown area? The boundary between them is not clear.
    Leopardstown is on the other side of the M50. In the area of Leopardstown road and Brewry Road and beside Foxrock. Think leopardstown race course, leopardstown business park and the leopardstown Inn (The Lep Inn). Traditionally the area is serviced by the N11 and the 46A but it pushes up as far as sandyford luas. Anything beyond that is merely using the name.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leopardstown is on the other side of the M50. In the area of Leopardstown road and Brewry Road. Think leopardstown race course, leopardstown business park and the leopardstown Inn (The Lep Inn). Traditionally the area is serviced by the N11 and the 46A but it pushes up as far as sandyford luas. Anything beyond that is merely using the name.

IMO Leopardstown is roughly the area in red below, this new development is roughly the blue.

b2_download_file_by_id?fileId=4_z6177fca890d8c37157cc0814_f1115e33667cce6d5_d20170818_m110638_c001_v0001038_t0047

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

Vague geographical boundaries aren't going to help here. A quick look at the two areas will show you what they're like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,421 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

awec wrote: »
    IMO Leopardstown is roughly the area in red below, this new development is roughly the blue.

b2_download_file_by_id?fileId=4_z6177fca890d8c37157cc0814_f1115e33667cce6d5_d20170818_m110638_c001_v0001038_t0047

I think the residents of Torquay road would feel different :), Westminster lawns (foxrock) and Rocwood (Blackrock) are also within the red.

Leopardstown has effectively migrated over the valley to Glencairn/Murphystown road.

Clay Farm will probably be similar to "Killiney" that borders Ballybrack, the prices will reflect this.

markpb wrote: »
    Vague geographical boundaries aren't going to help here. A quick look at the two areas will show you what they're like.

A better photo of Ballogan would be a photo of smashed windows in the school.

astrofool wrote: »
    I think the residents of Torquay road would feel different :), Westminster lawns (foxrock) and Rocwood (Blackrock) are also within the red.

Leopardstown has effectively migrated over the valley to Glencairn/Murphystown road.

Clay Farm will probably be similar to "Killiney" that borders Ballybrack, the prices will reflect this.

Torquay Road would be foxrock yea. I did say roughly! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Leopardstown is on the other side of the M50. In the area of Leopardstown road and Brewry Road and beside Foxrock. Think leopardstown race course, leopardstown business park and the leopardstown Inn (The Lep Inn). Traditionally the area is serviced by the N11 and the 46A but it pushes up as far as sandyford luas. Anything beyond that is merely using the name.

Don't agree with this. The Gallops were built in Leopardstown in 1990 way before the M50 was plonked down between it and the racecourse (which is only about 100-200 yards as the crow flies). The historical Glencairn estate was built in de facto Leopardstown in the early 1900s. Ballyogan brings a lot of undesirability to the entire area but it is a small area that lends its name to a big road. The M50 doesn't just suddenly splinter off an area which has always belonged to Leopardstown. Maybe the Leopardstown Heights name could have been used more effectively for the wider area. Just my two cents, not interested in a back n forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Dearg81

eternal31 wrote:
    I was told Leopardstown is a good area and it's also close to Foxrock, Sandymount. I was actually surprised to see those review.

It's not close to Sandymount for starters. Leopardstown is a very nice area overall but this estate would be close to a lot of old council houses so it's less desirable. Being close to Ballyogan is a negative in my opinion although it's not as bad an area as it used to be.

You need to go spend some time there as another poster said, go look around the estate and the leopardstown shopping centre but if you're expecting foxrock or Sandymount then you're gonna be very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Dearg81 wrote: »
    It's not close to Sandymount for starters. Leopardstown is a very nice area overall but this estate would be close to a lot of old council houses so it's less desirable. Being close to Ballyogan is a negative in my opinion although it's not as bad an area as it used to be.

You need to go spend some time there as another poster said, go look around the estate and the leopardstown shopping centre but if you're expecting foxrock or Sandymount then you're gonna be very disappointed.

I've lived in Leopardstown a good few years and would have no concern about Ballyogan. It's very quiet, people make negative comments simply because it's council housing.

Ballyogan is very well kept and shouldn't really be to much of a concern if looking at clay farm.

When there was some social housing to be put into the Gallops housing estate there was uproar and people wanted 24 hour manned security etc monitoring the council tenants ( you can still find these discussions on Google). No good cause for putting down ballyogan or assuming a council estate resembles a gang area in Los Angeles.

When there was some social housing to be put into the Gallops housing estate there was uproar and people wanted 24 hour manned security etc monitoring the council tenants ( you can still find these discussions on Google). No good cause for putting down ballyogan or assuming a council estate resembles a gang area in Los Angeles.

I'm glad you like the area but people are entitled to disagree with you Nika. I live in the area my whole life so I know it better than you. As I said it's not as bad as it used to be but I still wouldn't like to live there. I'm not a big fan of boarded up houses for starters but we're going off topic.

With regards council housing in Clay Farm. People just prefer not to live next door to one and yes I agree most of them go over board with their concerns. Most new estates have a certain amount of social housing now so people just have to accept it if they are buying new builds.

My biggest sticking point with Clay Farm is the houses themselves. Every time I drive past I swear it looks even worse than it did before. The houses look like the architect gave the job to the intern who did it in 15 minutes, they are incredibly bland and cheap looking. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

My biggest sticking point with Clay Farm is the houses themselves. Every time I drive past I swear it looks even worse than it did before. The houses look like the architect gave the job to the intern who did it in 15 minutes, they are incredibly bland and cheap looking. :(

O'Mahony Pike are architects for Clay Farm:

http://omparchitects.com/en/people/michael-hussey/

Technically speaking they are all social and affordable housing. But obviously, you can drop the affordable part from that for the middle class home buyers who do not qualify for social or affordable. What I mean is the houses have been fast tracked, bypassing the planning procedures in return for quick, affordable builds. They are cheap houses in every sense. Cheaply designed, cheaply made and apparently cheap to buy but of course that last part is very debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 eternal31

is there any alternative new development?

eternal31 wrote:
    is there any alternative new development?

My friend bought a house in bishops gate in kilternan for cheaper. Obviously no luas stop there but the houses and location are much more pleasing on the eye. I can't comment on the build quality though as I've just seen them from driving past.

Kilternan is cheaper cause it's Dublin's version of the middle of nowhere.

• Advertisement

Dearg81 wrote: »
    My friend bought a house in bishops gate in kilternan

Did he/she queue for night to get it ? ;)

PAYWALL ALERT https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/queue-forms-overnight-for-dublin-properties-starting-at-410-000-1.3114265
    Part of a housing scheme in Kilternan in Co Dublin has been snapped up by house hunters, some of whom queued overnight to reserve a property.

Twenty properties at Bishops Gate, a development of three- and four-bedroom houses that are being built on the Enniskerry Road, Kilternan in Co Dublin, were reserved prior to a private launch on Friday morning. A further 30 houses will be released onto the market at a later date.

Three bedroom townhouses were priced from €410,000 while three bedroom semi-detached houses were from €430,000 and four bedroom semi-detached houses from €550,000.
    A booking deposit of €7,500 was required to reserve a property while houses at Bishops Gate qualify for the help-to-buy scheme for eligible first-time buyers.

image.jpg

Kilternan is cheaper cause it's Dublin's version of the middle of nowhere.

Really? It is like 800m Nortch from Clay Farm site.

zom wrote: »

It may be but that is basically the sticks. No Luas, and I believe only 1 bus per hour that goes to town. Pretty much nothing in the immediate vicinity. I'd say it's a 20min walk into Stepaside from out there. Ballyogan Luas possibly the closest but I wouldn't really fancy walking up the Glenamuck Road with any sort of baggage as it's pretty much a constant up hill from Carrickmines.

It's probably as close to rural life as you are realistically going to get in Dublin and I think the prices reflect that. I don't mean they are good value either, I mean they'd be even more expensive if they were 15 minutes up the road in Stepaside.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Just like to add my two cents about Ballyogan. I'm in the Gallops, rented for a year then bought a 4 bed and are absolutely delighted with the area. Ballyogan has a bit of a bad reputation but it's (nowadays) unjustified imo. Haven't had any trouble at all and we're here over 2 years. 
    And as for Clay Farm, it's a bit of an eyesore alright but at least some houses are being built. The luas will need to up their game pretty smartly if they are going to have to cater for all these additional people, it's rammed each morning as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭p15574

Maybe, as the crow flies, but it's 3.7Km by road - 48 minutes walk, according to Google Maps - from one to the other, which is the only way to get there at the moment. Sometime in the future, they might open up a direct route from Stepaside to Leopardstown Valley, but they've been saying that for years.

Having said that, the Bishops Gate houses do look much nicer.

Yelnahs wrote: »
    it's rammed each morning as it is.

If it is rammed in Ballyogan already, I can't image it in Sandyford and it it probably out of anyone imagination how it looks like in Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

With regards the area... It's fairly quiet for the most part, but you do get a few little scumbag kids hanging around the shopping centre in the evenings. They're still fairly young, around 10 I'd say, but give it a few years and I think there may be genuine issues with them. The spar already employs some massive polish guy to work evenings there, last time I went down to get milk he was watching them the entire time he was serving me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

if it is rammed in Ballyogan already, I can't image it in Sandyford and it it probably out of anyone imagination how it looks like in Dundrum.

At peak times, some inbound trams start at Sandyford so people living there can get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

If it is rammed in Ballyogan already, I can't image it in Sandyford and it it probably out of anyone imagination how it looks like in Dundrum.

A lot of people alight at sandyford too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It is very rare that I've been unable to get on to a tram at Balally heading into town in the mornings. I think it happened once that I had to wait for a second tram. It is certainly busy, but usable.

• Advertisement

It is very rare that I've been unable to get on to a tram at Balally heading into town in the mornings. I think it happened once that I had to wait for a second tram. It is certainly busy, but usable.

Now add to this something like 3k extra people moving to Ballyogan area and we will see how you'll manage in the mornings then.

Advertisement